This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bonifacio View Post
    Dont blame SBP....I thought SBP under Pangilinan did decent. Pangilinan did a lot of good things to Philippine basketball. His only fault is putting Panlileo as head. Panlileo doesnt have balls to go against the PBA. Blame Panlileo.
    Yes bro, everyone here knows that SBP did so well in its first 10 years of inception. Of course it had its share of shortcomings, but that's alright, everyone else has. If we compare SBP to BAP, ang layo naman yata. Under the BAP was the dark age of Philippine basketball. But recently, or in the last few years, under Panlilio, SBP has been doing things that are detrimental to Philippine basketball.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
      Yes Malonzo to me is a valuable Gilas asset , it really allows us to play Malonzo together with either Tamayo and Baltazar without losing speed and size at the forward spot, and relieves Dwight from any forward duties to focus on playing both guard spots.

these are the guys i'm kind of confident can contribute at the WC
      center - Kai, Kouame
      forwards- malonzo , Tamayo, Batazar

Guards . Dwight , Kiefer , Parks
      Yep. These guys should be the shoo-ins for WC 2023.

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
        Yes Malonzo to me is a valuable Gilas asset , it really allows us to play Malonzo together with either Tamayo and Baltazar without losing speed and size at the forward spot, and relieves Dwight from any forward duties to focus on playing both guard spots.

these are the guys i'm kind of confident can contribute at the WC
        center - Kai, Kouame
        forwards- malonzo , Tamayo, Batazar

Guards . Dwight , Kiefer , Parks
        That's a competitive team, actually. At the same time, many of these players can still play for 2027, and some can even continue until 2031.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
          Danny Seigle is slow.. his defense will be exposed by koreas offense.. his slow release is a problem against china, the reason he was injured that late on training prep is he tried to go back on his college days by being a mobile wing...But he can be a threat if he bring another dimension for us as a "Stretch 4" replacing the bruising but offensively incapable (in asian elite level) Eric Menk
          This is the primary reason why I said Malonzo is more fit to be a wing than Danny Seigle. Dont get me wrong though, I'm not saying Malonzo is a better player than Danny Seigle. He was a beast, no doubt about that. But I believe defensive versatility is more important and critical attribute of a player to be a wing than his offensive arsenal/skills. Though both are great players, I will take a great defensive guy with average offensive game than a great offensive player with mediocre/bad defensive capability any time of the day. With the way the game is played today, slow wings will have a hard time being effective.

Interesting stat on Malonzo: (Credits: Ryan Alba via twitter)

PBA players are shooting 8/33 (24.2%) from 2 and 6/22 (27.3) from 3 when the closest defender is Jamie Malonzo.

I mean, come on. Get this guy in a Gilas uniform ASAP.
          Last edited by earldeboy; 07-04-2022, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• Why? the lineup were sending now is good for 2027 outside kiefer and rayray..
            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by earldeboy View Post
              This is the primary reason why I said Malonzo is more fit to be a wing than Danny Seigle. Dont get me wrong though, I'm not saying Malonzo is a better player than Danny Seigle. He was a beast, no doubt about that. But I believe defensive versatility is more important and critical attribute of a player to be a wing than his offensive arsenal/skills. Though both are great players, I will take a great defensive guy with average offensive game than a great offensive player with mediocre/bad defensive capability any time of the day. With the way the game is played today, slow wings will have a hard time being effective.

Interesting stat on Malonzo: (Credits: Ryan Alba via twitter)

PBA players are shooting 8/33 (24.2%) from 2 and 6/22 (27.3) from 3 when the closest defender is Jamie Malonzo.

I mean, come on. Get this guy in a Gilas uniform ASAP.
              Hahah na emphasize yun advance metrics when he s on the court, even in my own bias yes he has shooting struggles but he brings the dimension we need..

Comment

• Jamie Malonzo should be an SG/SF, with Abando backing him up.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
                  Yeah, it's so frustrating. They're too preoccupied with "forming the best team," to compete right now, that they might not think about forming a team for 2027, using a core from 2023 holdovers.
                  I'm calling it now. With SMC at the helm after 2023, it'll just be like 2007-2009 NT iTerations, all just token participations. I could be wrong, pero i think mas seseryosohin parin nila ang SEAG, ASIAD, and of course, the great PBA

Comment

• Should be, its better than nothing at all and imo lang ah better than taking seriously qualifying tournaments, with the way easl do its thing we will send at least pba core teams in fiba qualifiers, its just that the hagop rule prevents team like meralco to cooperate in Gilas..

Comment

• Originally posted by Rodbi View Post
                      I'm calling it now. With SMC at the helm after 2023, it'll just be like 2007-2009 NT iTerations, all just token participations. I could be wrong, pero i think mas seseryosohin parin nila ang SEAG, ASIAD, and of course, the great PBA
                      for as long as whoever is at the helm, and they have some sort of investment in the PBA, this will always happen. if you get an outsider, that org would need to battle out for the services of collegiate starts since some of the PBA teams has a form of control with those players as well. hirap, tayo tayo nagbabanggaan.
                      WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
                      SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
                        I will laugh hard here if once SMC takes over the SBP program and it will become worse (Not qualifying to 2025 or 2029 Asia Cup).... I will tell "I told yah"...
                        It's honestly like the Nets, who traded a crap-ton of picks and young assets for a shot at a championships. The downside is that if they fail, they're essentially screwed. Not many pieces to rebuild.

Similar dito, e. I hope in winning now, we don't follow the same path. But, here's the thing. I think that most of our win-now lineup is composed of 21-27yo players, only a couple are 30 and up.

Comment

It's honestly like the Nets, who traded a crap-ton of picks and young assets for a shot at a championships. The downside is that if they fail, they're essentially screwed. Not many pieces to rebuild.

Similar dito, e. I hope in winning now, we don't follow the same path. But, here's the thing. I think that most of our win-now lineup is composed of 21-27yo players, only a couple are 30 and up.
                          For reference, here's a pool of who I think are our best FIBA-eligible local players right now per position, and their ages at the time of next year's WC:

Guards: Kiefer (29), Dwight (24), Parks (30), Scottie (30), Bolick (27), Perez (29)
                          Wings: Malonzo (27), Oftana (27), Thirdy (26), Navarro (26), Abando (25), Lopez (20)
                          Forwards: Baltazar (26), Tamayo (22)
                          Bigs: Kai (21), June Mar (33)

Only THREE 30-year-olds are in this pool. We can still compete in the future, because most of these guys have at least another World Cup cycle in them.

I dunno if the SBP and PBA heads will agree with me, though.
                          Last edited by IPC; 07-05-2022, 04:06 AM. Reason: Additional player

Comment

im actually not against that. some teams historically cant build a competitive team. mostly because some players dont like the small markets. and some big markets just have crappy FO. so in that perspective, GM would rather have 1 championship and the rest bad season in say 10 years than having a just enough to be in a playoff for x amount of years.

tying it to this thread, if we cant have a continuous good team, can we target to do a good run for 1 year atleast?

SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

• Originally posted by C2Hamm View Post
                              im actually not against that. some teams historically cant build a competitive team. mostly because some players dont like the small markets. and some big markets just have crappy FO. so in that perspective, GM would rather have 1 championship and the rest bad season in say 10 years than having a just enough to be in a playoff for x amount of years.

tying it to this thread, if we cant have a continuous good team, can we target to do a good run for 1 year atleast?
                              Championship is ALWAYS the goal. It paid off for the Lakers. They just screwed up in not maintaining roster continuity, letting go of Green, Howard, Caruso, KCP, and Kuzma.

As for this thread, I think we might wanna make a run at the 2024 Olympics. However, like I said, I think we can still maintain roster continuity while doing so, given the ages of who I think are our best options for the 2023 roster.

Comment

Championship is ALWAYS the goal. It paid off for the Lakers. They just screwed up in not maintaining roster continuity, letting go of Green, Howard, Caruso, KCP, and Kuzma.
                                reality is, stars wont go to certain small market teams. Suns, Hornets, even Wizards will find it very hard to purely rely on drafting and hoping those draftees all become stars. they need to trade for stars because, lets see, how many stars walked to their teams to play? not too often. Suns, in particular, is hoping to land KD even if it means trading 4 1st round and 3 swap picks plus ayton bridges and cam j. thats 10 1st round draft picks all for KD. i dont know if they offered all but that is not far fetch to think james jones would do that just for a shot at a title with CP3 (old and injury prone), Booker, and KD. if they dont do this now, CP3 will continue to decline, DA does not fit the system, and offense will once again fall into Booker. and except for CP3, no notable player has knocked on PHX doors since Shaq i think. prior to the last 2 years, PHX was a laughing stock with multiple picks with only Booker and DA as decent picks. if they dont do a push now, they will end up like Wizards. fringe playoff team with no hope of getting a star or enough asset to trade for one. people will have different opinoin on this. hindi lahat GSW. Raps and Heat drafter well but look at their team and you can see they still have start they traded for. Lakers dont need to do anything drastic, someone will knock on their door. if you think Hornets will go anywhere without trading for a center or atleast an all start level mobile big, then keep dreaming because they wont stop Embiid or Giannis.

going back to this thread, SBP and PBA are more concerned with PBA. the writing is on the wall. we can say whatever we feel and want, but if we cant see SBP not helping Coach Nenad. if we cant see they are just letting fans get angry at someone else not named CCR then id rather they tell everyone we'll let Nenad what he wants how he wants it just for 2023 and after that SEA Games at Asia lng ulit ang focus natin. after that PBA lng tayo, damn Gilas. so be it, give me that 1 good shot. talo manalo we gave it our all. i'd rather have that than seeing coach changes every year. player changes every tournament. seeing certain players suddenly have passport because of certain coaches. i'd rather have 1 good shot if we cant have a program.

SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information