Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1271

Thread: Philippines Senior National Team Thread Vol. V

Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Tell that to Tab who plans on expanding the pool himself. If we don’t try out other players, how do we know if there’s someone out there that is actually better internationally than our current fringe players? What if there’s someone out there who are even better than our current “shoo-ins”?

The lists doesn’t mean you have to try all of them. It is a list of players that we think the coaching staff might be interested on giving a try.
    We still have the November and February windows to serve as some sort of try-out and experimental stage for the SBP and its coaching staff. Per Tab, he said that he would expand the pool and that the lineup would be complete in mid or late 2022, meaning we still have time to try different players.

We should be open to new players and like I always said, it never hurts to have many options, as long as they can commit a certain amount of time needed to maintain that chemistry and cohesiveness.

We have to exhaust all options before being too sure. 1GDL, Kobe, and others still deserve another chance. Maybe some SMC/PBA players will join. Maybe some of your players that you listed can join. We still have Edu, Lopez and Panopio. It never hurts to try everything out, especially since we are already qualified. It may result in some losses, but at the end of the day, we are in it for the long term (2023).

I haven't watched it yet, but there is a new interview with Coach Tab filmed 3 days ago.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but will the b league guys be available for the windows?

Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but will the b league guys be available for the windows?
    It depends if Coach Tab is okay with players going to games with little practice time. B-League usually takes three weeks to one month break when it's the time of the FIBA Qualifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/w...n-gilas/219076

"For B.League and Korean Basketball League players, the league usually takes a three-week break in November which falls during the first window of FIBA Qualifier games. Moreover, all of the Gilas prospects in Japan, including Shiga’s Kiefer Ravena and Nagoya’s Ray Parks Jr., have a FIBA release clause in their contracts.

This year, the league will stop on November 14 and will resume on December 4. The league will also take a break from February 6 to March 5."

Like the article mentioned if you read it, the only constraint would be the lack of practices due to quarantines, but since most of our players are in Japan, maybe the SBP can adjust instead and train there? I don't know though, maybe it is too costly, but it could be a possibility.

I know it's just one game but damn, are we seeing a Pringle 2.0 in the making with a little less explosiveness but with better overall offensive game? How I wish his eligible to play for NT!

With the Ateneo and UP boys being the main core of Gilas towards 2023 WC, do you see the SBP utilizing the same core for 3x3 tournaments?

Belangel, RJA, Go, Baltazar, Tamayo, and Jordan would make good 3x3 players if we can find a coach who can develop chemistry for these guys.

Hell, we can probably throw in ineligibles like Pringle, Laput, and Ahanmisi.
    ⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/w...n-gilas/219076

"For B.League and Korean Basketball League players, the league usually takes a three-week break in November which falls during the first window of FIBA Qualifier games. Moreover, all of the Gilas prospects in Japan, including Shiga’s Kiefer Ravena and Nagoya’s Ray Parks Jr., have a FIBA release clause in their contracts.

This year, the league will stop on November 14 and will resume on December 4. The league will also take a break from February 6 to March 5."

Like the article mentioned if you read it, the only constraint would be the lack of practices due to quarantines, but since most of our players are in Japan, maybe the SBP can adjust instead and train there? I don't know though, maybe it is too costly, but it could be a possibility.
    Good to hear this. From what I remember, B-league took a 2-week break to give way for every window qualifier games in the 2019 World Cup. But perhaps becoz of the pandemic which would require quarantine for players, ginawa nilang 3-week break. That's good.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Tell that to Tab who plans on expanding the pool himself. If we don’t try out other players, how do we know if there’s someone out there that is actually better internationally than our current fringe players? What if there’s someone out there who are even better than our current “shoo-ins”?

The lists doesn’t mean you have to try all of them. It is a list of players that we think the coaching staff might be interested on giving a try.
    Agree bro.

Also, I think SBP & the Gilas coaching staff are also looking beyond 2023 World Cup. That's thinking long term.

There's the 2025 FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers & tournament proper, then there's the 2027 FIBA World Cup qualifiers & tournament proper that we have to prepare for.

Some of our Gilas prospects at present may no longer be that serviceable by 2027 so we would need to look for more young talents out there right now.

My thinking is for the SBP to monitor the development of good potential young players in the amateur backyard like a Demisana, Salvoro, Lantaya, Lepalam, Baste Reyes, Perciano, Gagate, etc. SBP & Gilas coaching staff would then determine if when would these players join Gilas training. Maybe Demisana & Baste Reyes should join Gilas in 2 years time. Maybe Lantaya, Lepalam & Gagate should join next year.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

I’ve seen Nlex’s last 2 games (both wins) and the primary beneficiary of Kiefer’s departure is obviously Jericho Cruz. But another player that has benefitted is rookie Calvin Oftana. Now he’s tasked to do more secondary ballhandling and playmaking, and defending the opposing wing or guard scorers like Wright. He really needs to work on those handles, he gets trapped easily. To his credit, his playmaking and perimeter defense are both above par. I hope Coach Yeng develops Oftana to be a legit wing (the solid bigs rotation of Quinahan, Soyud and Miranda certainly helps), a defensive, playmaking wing that isn’t that common in the Philippines. Might be good for Gilas if he gets another call up.
    Methinks Oftana will get his call-up in 2022. May PBA season pa by November.

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Methinks Oftana will get his call-up in 2022. May PBA season pa by November.
    Not a bad idea. He’s shaping up to be a two way player who doesn’t need his touches. Later vs Northport, if Yeng puts him on Malonzo, then it is safe to say he’s viewing him as his show stopper.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Not suggesting at all that we don't try new players, there are enough roster spots for experimentation. New guys.
    Just saying when available the 7 players I mentioned should still play . To continue building on players likely to make the 2023 team

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Not suggesting at all that we don't try new players, there are enough roster spots for experimentation. New guys.
    Just saying when available the 7 players I mentioned should still play . To continue building on players likely to make the 2023 team
    So if ever there will be new players, you can shuffle them with the 5 other roster spots.

We should promote as many as possible. But, developing chemistry with the core players ain't a bad idea as well.

Calvin Oftana hasn't exhibited his 3-pt shooting so far in the PBA. But I'm confident he'll be able to find his 3-pt shooting in due time

Robert Bolick should be in gilas regardless of what empire he is in, SBP Must do whatever it takes to include him to play in some windowa and in 2023 world cup. Keifer and bolick would solidifies our point guard rotation.
    Ako ang may pinakamalakas na confidence!

Quote Originally Posted by Thegloryball View Post
    Robert Bolick should be in gilas regardless of what empire he is in, SBP Must do whatever it takes to include him to play in some windowa and in 2023 world cup. Keifer and bolick would solidifies our point guard rotation.
    If only we're living in a perfect world bro. If only ganoon lang kadali to have Bolick wear a Gilas jersey. Bolick still with Northport is a possibility as far as Gilas stint is concerned, but Bolick in SMB uniform, ibang usapan na yan. One can bet Leo Austria can't wait to have Bolick in SMB roster. So wag na tayong masyadong umasa pa to see Bolick in Gilas uniform.

Now lets pretend that SMC would allow Bolick to play for Gilas, I think Bolick is exactly the kind of point guard coach Tab would want in Gilas. Bolick would be an instant upgrade to Gilas point guards Matt Nieto, SJ Belangel & RJ Abarrientos. Bolick's skill level is significantly higher than that of Matt Nieto while he has the obvious edge in maturity over Belangel & Abarrientos. I think its safe to say that Bolick is among the top 2 best point guard in the PBA today.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    If only we're living in a perfect world bro. If only ganoon lang kadali to have Bolick wear a Gilas jersey. Bolick still with Northport is a possibility as far as Gilas stint is concerned, but Bolick in SMB uniform, ibang usapan na yan. One can bet Leo Austria can't wait to have Bolick in SMB roster. So wag na tayong masyadong umasa pa to see Bolick in Gilas uniform.

Now lets pretend that SMC would allow Bolick to play for Gilas, I think Bolick is exactly the kind of point guard coach Tab would want in Gilas. Bolick would be an instant upgrade to Gilas point guards Matt Nieto, SJ Belangel & RJ Abarrientos. Bolick's skill level is significantly higher than that of Matt Nieto while he has the obvious edge in maturity over Belangel & Abarrientos. I think its safe to say that Bolick is among the top 2 best point guard in the PBA today.
    For me, Bolick is THE top point guard. He is a tough defender and has already proven he can keep up in world level speed. I don’t see any other guard come close to his defensive acumen excluding prime Ross. Heruela maybe.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote49 View Post
    I know it's just one game but damn, are we seeing a Pringle 2.0 in the making with a little less explosiveness but with better overall offensive game? How I wish his eligible to play for NT!
    mikey is damn good. now i know why yeng got so mad when that pick went to TNT
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegloryball View Post
    I wonder what is that " whatever it takes" thing.

But if it will happen, I think smc will ask for the world.lmao

For me, Bolick is THE top point guard. He is a tough defender and has already proven he can keep up in world level speed. I don’t see any other guard come close to his defensive acumen excluding prime Ross. Heruela maybe.
    2 way ability and the drive makes him a very capable gilas player
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast