X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Not Gonna lie. Aside from admu.

Dlsu have a lot of Gilas Quality Prospects/Players. But.....

You know. Hope DLSU will be willing to lend someday. Though Bati was a start
    Exactly, La Salle has plenty of quality Gilas-eligible prospects. Kevin Quiambao, Jonnel Policarpio, Evan Nelle, Ice Blanco, Raven Cortez, Jared Abadam, hell probably even Mark Nonoy.

I only hope at least some of them can be invited (of course better if all), and those invitees accept the invitation. Kahit invitation lang, so that we won't have the impression na puro Atenista lang sa Gilas.

Comment

• Come to think of it, I think UP also has some interesting prospects too. After Tamayo, you have guys like Anton Eusebio, Miguel Tan (who once played for Batang Gilas if I remember correctly), Terrence Fortea, RC Calimag, and probably Bismarck Lina. Tab might help develop them into something. Tan and Lina, both of whom stand 6'5", might become a smaller version of Tamayo and Baltazar.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
        He would have been included if he picked any other school besides Letran. He tried to make it sound like players from San Beda and Ateneo were chosen based on their school and not their abilities/potential.

He knew the deal. He knows what Longhair is doing yet he still chose Letran and say things like that? Sounds like he's passing the buck. I dunno what to make of this kid. And this is after leaving UST.
        Hi, I watched this interview. To me it was more like he’s throwing shade at Letran/Longhair rather than Ateneo/San Beda while trying to make it look like he’s hesitant and couldn’t talk about it directly. The convo went something like this: Mikee asked him if he got invited and he said “😐……hindi na lang” “Anong hindi na lang? … ah ok gets ko na” (nonverbatim). So baka na-invite tapos di pinayagan. I think they send out invitations sometimes but don’t make it public, it’s possible that once you accept that’s when they add you to the pool. I used to think they’re prohibiting Quiambao but now that I think about it he was already added to the pool then he begged off. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I think the Ateneo guys are second gen or kinda well-off. Not to stereotype but kids from more humble backgrounds might be tempted with the money.
        Last edited by KanagawaNo1PG; 11-15-2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KanagawaNo1PG View Post
          Hi, I watched this interview. To me it was more like he’s throwing shade at Letran/Longhair rather than Ateneo/San Beda while trying to make it look like he didn’t want/couldn’t talk about it directly. The convo went something like this: Mikee asked him if he got invited and he said “… hindi na lang” “Anong hindi na lang? … ah ok gets ko na” (nonverbatim). So baka na-invite tapos di pinayagan. I think they send out invitations sometimes but don’t make it public, it’s possible that once you accept that’s when they add you to the pool. I used to think they’re prohibiting Quiambao but now that I think about it he was already added to the pool then he begged off. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I think the Ateneo guys are second gen or kinda well-off. Not to stereotype but kids from more humble backgrounds might be tempted with the money.
          Yeah makes sense that they would privately invite them first before making an announcement as it would put the kids in a tough spot if they aren't allowed anyway.

IMO he was going to get the bag whichever school he went anyway but he picked the one managed by long hair. Can't hate on him getting paid though. He was on my list of "nice to have" but the good thing is we a tons of good candidates on his position anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
            The only guys he can beat out right now are Mike, Javi and Suerte (and this is because of the upside). Abando's a good shooter and a decent defender, and is athletic like Thirdy, and can finish, but that's pretty much it. He can't exactly create for himself, which Oftana, Dwight, Suerte, and Dave can. Even Javi is a better shot creator.

Pero kasi, that athleticism, length, and shooting is already upside. I see that he has more upside than Mike, Javi, and Suerte. And he's kinda young, being 23. That's why it's tough to leave out a guy like Abando. And come on, you can work on things like shot creation. Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard for example.
            Honestly I'd rather have him over Mike and Rey but Tab prefers Mike and Suerte though. If Suerte didn't get injured I'm sure he would have played significant minutes in our last games. Hmmm tough to choose him over Javi. He's definitely more athletic but Javi is taller and has better handles. Also I've noticed that he doesn't like contact and would really rather force a tough shot over driving to the basket. I would say both are really good shooters and it's hard to tell who is better.

Is he really a good defender? I've only seen highly blocks but can he defend perimeter players like Thirdy can?

Comment

Yeah makes sense that they would privately invite them first before making an announcement as it would put the kids in a tough spot if they aren't allowed anyway.

IMO he was going to get the bag whichever school he went anyway but he picked the one managed by long hair. Can't hate on him getting paid though. He was on my list of "nice to have" but the good thing is we a tons of good candidates on his position anyway.
              I posted what I remember from memory but I watched it again just now and you could interpret it that way nga heh. But yeah he could’ve chosen any other school.

Comment

• Originally posted by KanagawaNo1PG View Post
                Hi, I watched this interview. To me it was more like he’s throwing shade at Letran/Longhair rather than Ateneo/San Beda while trying to make it look like he’s hesitant and couldn’t talk about it directly. The convo went something like this: Mikee asked him if he got invited and he said “😐……hindi na lang” “Anong hindi na lang? … ah ok gets ko na” (nonverbatim). So baka na-invite tapos di pinayagan. I think they send out invitations sometimes but don’t make it public, it’s possible that once you accept that’s when they add you to the pool. I used to think they’re prohibiting Quiambao but now that I think about it he was already added to the pool then he begged off. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

Good point bro. Most likely ganoon nga ang nangyari. There are several things SBP & the Gilas team are doing that they don't announce to the public. Like for instance the recent inclusion of Ladis Lepalam in the current Gilas pool. SBP didn't announce their move to invite more players for the pool. Bigla nalang natin nabalitaan that Lepalam is already part of the pool. Who knows, baka na invite din sina Quiambao, Raven Cortez, Lantaya, Ambohot & even Abando this time, but as usual their respective schools or handlers prohibit them from joining Gilas.
                "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

The Suns were able to reach the finals with 6'4 Jae Crowder as their starting PF. They could have gone all the way if Saric/Craig didn't get injured and they got a another legit bigman in their rotation.

It's not about size anymore. Crowder is a tough defender who can cover players way bigger than him and make them pay on the other end.
                  Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
                  Yup it's about what you can do on the court. Of course size and length are related to what you can do well on the court though. but in the case of many they can give up 3 to 6 inches in height compensated with superior strength, speed and wingspan. Dreymond green may be just 6'5, but he can do more as a defender than many 6'10 players
                  Originally posted by zairex View Post
                  Finally, people see that its not all about size. It the total attribute of a player is the true measurement.
                  This kinda reminded me of Marc Pingris, if only on defense. Ping was only 6'4", but come on. Like Crowder, he was quick enough to defend perimeter players and strong and athletic enough to cover bigger players.

Even though I'd normally call similar-sized guys undersized at 6'4", Ping was a hell of a versatile defender, which is why I can make a size exception for him. He's also one of the keystones for that Gilas team.

Comment

This kinda reminded me of Marc Pingris, if only on defense. Ping was only 6'4", but come on. Like Crowder, he was quick enough to defend perimeter players and strong and athletic enough to cover bigger players.

Even though I'd normally call similar-sized guys undersized at 6'4", Ping was a hell of a versatile defender, which is why I can make a size exception for him. He's also one of the keystones for that Gilas team.
                    Idk if Oftana could toughen up to the point that he could defend bigs down low, but he already have half of Ping’s defensive acumen, which is the ability to defend guards and wings.

For me, it is easier to work on your defense defending bigger players than defending quicker ones. Look at Rosario and Belo. Never really reached the level of being able to keep up with legit wings despite having been given the chance and repetition to do so. Erram and Japeth for their part, have reached the point wherein they’re no longer easy pickings for bigger, more physically imposing players.
                    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
                      Idk if Oftana could toughen up to the point that he could defend bigs down low, but he already have half of Ping’s defensive acumen, which is the ability to defend guards and wings.

For me, it is easier to work on your defense defending bigger players than defending quicker ones. Look at Rosario and Belo. Never really reached the level of being able to keep up with legit wings despite having been given the chance and repetition to do so. Erram and Japeth for their part, have reached the point wherein they’re no longer easy pickings for bigger, more physically imposing players.
                      He's used to defending local bigs in the NCAA. Dunno if he can defend legit international bigs though. He's certainly strong now though but probably not Pingris strong.

We might have a better chance looking at fil foreigner prospects

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                        ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I'm not really that sold out on the idea of making Dwight Lamos as a combo guard for Gilas. His shaky handles has repeatedly been exposed even in the B-League. Nakita na natin how many times he lost the ball on dribble during the 1st game of the Gilas-Korea 2-game series in the 3rd window of the 2022 FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers. Then in the B-league I saw him fumble on his dribble or naagaw sa kanya yung bola while on a dribble.

Dwight really isn't in the same class as the likes of a Paul Lee or Ato Agustin or even Rayray Parks as far as being combo guard is concerned. I see Dwight as just a natural wing.
                        Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                        Agree with the handles. He committed back to back turnovers against the Koreans if I remember it correctly. Even in the B-league he's losing it a couple of times when pressured
                        Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                        Let Dwight play the wing where he is good at.
                        Dwight has the size, speed, and strength for both wing positions anyway. It's not like he'll be subjected to mismatches. And he's better playing off-ball so far.

But handles can be developed, though. He's 23, he has time.

Comment

He's used to defending local bigs in the NCAA. Dunno if he can defend legit international bigs though. He's certainly strong now though but probably not Pingris strong.

And when we look at it, Ping himself is a Fil-foreigner.

Comment

Re: Oftana, I think it's better if he's a full-time wing anyway, and plays 4 only in small-ball situations, similar to Navarro.

Comment

And when we look at it, Ping himself is a Fil-foreigner.
                              Is he a dual citizen? Or just mixed? I think he’s homegrown.

Comment

Re: Oftana, I think it's better if he's a full-time wing anyway, and plays 4 only in small-ball situations, similar to Navarro.
                                Have mixed feelings about his handles. Sometimes it's great pero he fumbles minsan.
                                GILAS WISHLIST:
                                6'8 Pingris

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information