Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Philippines Senior National Team Thread Vol. V

post deleted
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    So far, Heading's the only sure-ball SMC guy. As for Navarro and Go, unless they star for Gilas, I doubt that the SMC teams will trade for role players (since they trade for stars most of the time).

Good gamble to take.
    Well SMC teams can trade their aging players like Billy Mamaril, Rafi Reaves, Jeff Chan for players like Go, Heading, Navarro.

Yun nga ang maganda eh, these players are role players - players that star-studded teams like Ginebra & SMB need.

Why not? Nobody can stop SMC from doing it.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

So far, his Gilas contract's for 3 years, I think (like the Gilas draftees who came before him).
    Probably not the case since Bulanadi and Nieto signed extensions but hopefully everyone is now signed til 2023.

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/...a2437-20210125

Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    Probably not the case since Bulanadi and Nieto signed extensions but hopefully everyone is now signed til 2023.

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/...a2437-20210125
    maybe not. if you look at the post of bulanadi, he said it's for one year. for nieto, it's less explicit, but it's seems for another year also.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Here's my take about this debate whether or not PBA players reinforce the Gilas cadets in the 2023 FIBA World Cup:

Coach Tab & SBP must talk with PBA people about how much committed the PBA is with the National team. Coach Tab should ask the PBA whether the PBA players chosen to reinforce Gilas can train with Gilas for at least 1 & a half months per year leading to the 2023 FIBA World Cup. I say coach Tab takes only 3 or 4 PBA players as reinforcements. Taking 6 or more PBA players would just cause more disruption to the Gilas scheme of things. So let's say Tab chooses Kiefer, Perez, Wright & Pogoy, these players must get to commit to train with Gilas at least 1 & a half months per year which means that prior to 2023 FIBA WC, these PBA reinforcements will have a total of at least 4 months of training with Gilas. I think that is enough time for these PBA players to assimilate with the system & build cohesion.

Now if the PBA says like, "We will lend our players to Gilas 2 weeks before the 2023 World Cup", then coach Tab should tell them to forget it. This isn't being "demanding", its what every national team coach should be doing. Dapat lang talaga na ganoon yung policy ni coach Tab.
    We'll need full cooperation from the PBA if we're gonna be successful internationally. I hope a month of training is not too much to ask of them.

We ask the question why does the PBA wants to reinforce the Gilas cadets?

PBA people would say "We are committed to help the national team in any shape or form" or "We're doing this para sa bayan". Para sa bayan my ass!

I say PBA is doing this simply to ride on with the Gilas bandwagon. U bet lalaki ang mga tenga ni Willy Marcial & Al Chua upon hearing a FIBA tv commentator covering a Gilas game saying like, " CJ Perez, he plays for the San Miguel Beermen in the PBA. The PBA of course is the first professional basketball league in Asia."

Now imagine if there's no PBA players in the Gilas team that would play in tge 2023 World Cup (though Matt Nieto, Go, Navarro, Suerte, are de facto PBA players). We will hear FIBA tv panelist saying like, "This Gilas team is compose mostly of amateur players with only Clarkson, Kai Sotto & Thirdy Ravena being the pros & there is no PBA player in this squad"

Hindi bat parang sampal yan sa PBA?
    As to Gilas bandwagon, fully agree. If Gilas succeeds with a majority of the roster being PBA players, that's good PR for them. However, they don't realize that actual contribution consists of more than just giving players. It's giving them sufficient time to work out a system and train. Because if Gilas fails, and the fans immediately see that the PBA had a hand in that, that's gonna backfire spectacularly.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Is China particpating in an OQT, if yes , they would want a tune up game vs Gilas

Are there PBA locals who are 6' 8 that are as comfortable as Tamayo and Balti in the perimeter ?

not sure PBA has a 6' 5 player who is comfortable playing guard as Dwight
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonifacio View Post
    Rosario will be comfortable to play in the perimeter. Evven Japeth would have love to play in the perimeter. However, because it is PBA, they are forced to play PF and Center. I bet if Tamayo and Balti go to PBA, they would have to play as PF/Center too.

Norwood and Parks are 6'5 players who can play guard.
    Then add the fact that most PBA coaches (and most Philippine coaches) barely use small-ball concepts in competition, ayun.

Then add the fact that most PBA coaches (and most Philippine coaches) barely use small-ball concepts in competition, ayun.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...07830659296151

Coach Tab Assistant Coaches this window are:

UichicSandy, Caloy, Boyet.

We hope they gain something from Coach Tab.

Coach Sandy is assigned in Batang Gilas always. It is logical to use coach tab's system in batang gilas.

Coach Jong Uichico, He dont have a pba team now. So, he can learn a lot ad a full time gilas asst.coach.

I am actually not a fan of small ball or midget ball especially if u have a skilled Big.

But you have no choice if your tallest player is 6'5-6'6

Last time a small ball team who won in the pba is coach chot with TNT with only 6'4-6'5 Bigs such as RDO, Kelly, and Ali.

For coaches with Bigs like Greg, JMF, Cstand, Japeth. It is totally understabdable that they will not use small ball. Because they have the personnel.

But for those who doesn't have the personnel. Just use and train 6'4-6'5 Bigs to be mobile enough.

Kahit 6'5 na jason perkins like mobility pwede na.
    Last edited by mathematicianrcg; 06-17-2021 at 05:58 AM.

While the Koreans may have some superiority complex over the Pinoys in basketball I think their naturalized player Ricardo Ratliffe has a different view. Having played in the PBA some years ago, Ratliffe knows that talent wise, Koreans don't enjoy any significant edge over Filipinos. Its only on the "system" aspect where Korean basketball enjoys significant edge over Phi basketball.

But not for long. With Tab Baldwin running the Gilas program, that edge of Korea in the "system" is going to evaporate. And that game last Wednesday is an indication.

Gilas is going to close the gap.
    Gilas is gonna close the gap with their defense. I hope the defense we saw in the 2nd half of last game will be a consistent theme of this Gilas team up to the 2030s and beyond. I hope the defense will become part of the team's identity.

We may need to polish our shooting once SoKor zones us up. One thing that worked in our favor was that they defended us man-to-man. We like those matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    2022 is a crucial year.

Will MVP step down?

Will SMC takeover?

Will Coach Tab be fired?

Will Pba players dominate the Gilas Pool?
    God, I do hope the guys that take over after MVP will continue the emphasis on development, even after this current Gilas team has developed to their fullest potential, so we don't have to rebuild the squad after this generation gets up in age.

Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Is Go still an essential part of the system? He looked terrible yesterday. Ange is basically an upgraded Go who also stretch the floor. We also have a younger Chiu who has a higher ceiling. Kai, Tamayo, Balti can play alongside Kouame.
    I have the same thoughts. Go will be expendable in the future, as there are other bigs with higher ceiling, like the ones you mentioned.

I have the same thoughts. Go will be expendable in the future, as there are other bigs with higher ceiling, like the ones you mentioned.
    I'm hoping we can upgrade all our positions. Everybody should be replaceable. Like the Fil-foreign kids replacing our lackluster guards and providing more depth at the wings

I wish Go play for Columbia Dyip last season. I think not playing organize ball for quite some time really affected his game. I hope the PBA Board let him play in the PBA this season.

Based on that news artie by Spin, I don't see anything libelous on what "Gilas Pilipinas" Facebook account had said (Kung bakit naman kasi hindi na qoute ng Spin yung igsaktong sinabi ng "Gilas Pilipinas" Facebook account)

Its just purely commentary.

Well whatever. The thing is, hindi bat tama naman ang sinabi ang sinabi ng Gilas Pilipinas FB account? those who understand what's going on in Phi basketball & have the rationale think that Gilas pililipinas fb account is spot on.
    I agree with the post, and though I doubt it, I really hope this serves as a wake-up call to the PBA para hindi gipitin ang national team. Sorry for the language, pero punyemas talaga.

I also agree that there's no libel. The closest case might be moral damages, but a court will most likely dismiss it on the ground that only natural persons (as in tao talaga, not a corporation) can claim moral damages.

From tbt:

Gilas will have a tuneup game tomorrow before heading to Belgrade for the Olympic Qualifying Tournament.
    Against who?

Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    From tbt:

Against who?
    https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/g...-serbia/211374

China
    #GoUSTe, #AnimoLaSalle #PadayonUP

Rosterbation for 2023:

PG: Ramos/Panopio/JGDL
    SG: Clarkson/Paras
    SF: Tamayo/Baltazar/Navarro
    PF: Go/Chiu
    C: Kouame/Sotto

Quote Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
    Rosterbation for 2023:

PG: Ramos/Panopio/JGDL
    SG: Clarkson/Paras
    SF: Tamayo/Baltazar/Navarro
    PF: Go/Chiu
    C: Kouame/Sotto
    aj edu

It is too early to identify players for 2023. You can just imagine how badly the 23 for 2023 listing miserably fails.

The main positive shown in window3 was systemic defense. On offense, the results are not that good. Around 9 of the current batch are reliable enough against consistent asian toughies like china, sk and japan. Against much bigger and more talented australia, about 7 would put up decent performance. Versus top ten nations seen in olympics and world championships -- where size, athleticism and skills are world-class in at least 4 positions every game -- around 5 of the present batchwont be embarrassing.

Tab's system, like any other, will miserably fail if players that are good only for lower asian battles are still used in world-class levels. I hope that tab does not allow hometown wins get into his head and pride. For a month's continuous practice, at least five other big and talented players can turbocharge gilas performance in hostile or neutral playing grounds.

Unlike past gilas teams, a core of five cohesively playing tough and talented players are enough.

You know, looking back, I have always wondered why the PBA even before the disasters of 2017 and 2019 has stopped inviting our National Team to their reinforced conferences and has this particular disdain for lending their best players to the NT.

Then I remembered that back in the Gilas 1 days a lot of PBA teams were crippled because so many of the top players were on NT duties. PBA-only fans stopped watching the games because their favorite players were not on their favorite teams. Then some folks were like Mark Caguioa (IIRC) didn't deserve to win MVP because a lot of the best players were not playing in the league due to NT duties.

Then I thought, could it be that the PBA didn't want something like that to happen again? However, they hoarded the best players from the NT since we failed to qualify for the 2016 Olympics, and yet nobody was still watching the games even before the pandemic unless Ginebra or any SMC team was playing.

Why is the PBA like this? They freely lent players to the NT and nobody was watching the games unless their favorite players are playing. Now they hoarded players from the NT and yet nobody still watches the games unless Ginebra is playing. Is the PBA really left behind in the stone age?
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast