Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with the PBA is the agreement that he will not ask players unless they have guaranteed slots. But that is BS because we only get the TNT players as backup options. I agree Black has some potential because he is tall and can play PG. But his release is so low. Regardless, he should give that option as backup to other younger PBA players as well. Heck even the NBA had backup players. And Pop only had 1 of his players.

Comment

• Michael is Fiba ineligible. Lucero is likely ineligible too. Without PBA players for the 3rd window and Asia cup. Who will he get? Maybe the B league boys? But who else? Is Ateneos Daves eligible? Manzano I will give a chance too. But aside from Balti and Carl we lack 6'7 and up guys. Im not sold on Chiu as Kouames backup.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
        Realistically a ineligible would be only chance for a new NP by 2023.
        The naturalization via congress process is unrealistic to process within a year

I like the idea of a Harper Jr playing alongside Kai. It fills a need around key players, Kai, Dwight, Kiefer and Baltazar
        Yup looks like a second naturalization candidate is a more long term benefit and not something that will help in 2023.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
          Actually if Gilas decides not to use Kouame in 2023 and our only pure center of good level is Kai.
          I don't have issues with using Tamayo and Baltazar together at 5 and 4 . While obviously undersize the value of stretching the floor with two 6 8 players is still better than having a liability offensive center who can't defend due to lack of mobility anyway regardless if he's 6'10 is of less value
          And I thought I had crazy ideas. Hahahahahaha.

But yeah, this is a reasonable small-ball lineup, given Carl's strength in defending the post and in boxing out (which honestly needs work) and grabbing rebounds for UP, he might just cut it, he won't be a total liability at 4 or 5. Mobile enough for 4, strong enough for 5.

Balti naman will provide help defense. He's not that good 1-on-1, but a good team defender and switcher.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
            And I thought I had crazy ideas. Hahahahahaha.

But yeah, this is a reasonable small-ball lineup, given Carl's strength in defending the post and in boxing out (which honestly needs work) and grabbing rebounds for UP, he might just cut it, he won't be a total liability at 4 or 5. Mobile enough for 4, strong enough for 5.

Balti naman will provide help defense. He's not that good 1-on-1, but a good team defender and switcher.
            Do you really think guys a frontline of:

C: Kai, AJ
            PF: Balti, Tamayo

Will be enough and effective. I think we need one insurance Big. Japeth, JMF, Erram, Or Troy? Personally I will go with Japeth for Mobility. But JMF is probably ok too for post presence and matchups.

But if we gonna play a Very Undersized Perimeter Oriented Lineup like:

PG: Kief, Bolick
            SG: JC, Perez, Heading (or Parks)
            SF: Dwight, Thirdy(or Oftana)
            PF: Baltazar, Tamayo
            C: Kai, AJ, Japeth

Then, we would just gonna spam pnr and 5 out offense. All Of these Bigs Can attack fron the Perimeter. Yes, all of them.

I believe these lineup can shoot too.

The problem is size. Since we are classifying Balti and Tamayo as "Bigs", it will make the SF Wings Smaller in Size. Especially if it will be Thirdy over Oftana.

Some will argue JC and Perez are redundant. But I am willing to take the redundancy.

I may choose oftana over heading because if size. But Heading imo is our best local shooter so far.

Kiefer and Bolick are almost locks for me at PG spot.

Parks will be a lock too for me if he will settle things.

Comment

• japeth is a headless chicken in the worlds. Fajardo is a better option as the last big of the bench.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by live_evil View Post
                japeth is a headless chicken in the worlds. Fajardo is a better option as the last big of the bench.
                Lol. You really dont like Japeth in any Gilas Iteration. Always calling him Headless chicken. Haha.

Anyways,

I just chose Japeth because of Mobility. We can also Choose Troy Instead.

I am fine with JMF too, but he would probably be limited because he is even worse than our young bigs in PNR Coverage. We saw it when Mikey attacked him.

Pero sabagay, It will mean more mins and responsibility for Kai. Hehe.

I want Kai to be one of the main options by Gilas in 2023 anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                  Lol. You really dont like Japeth in any Gilas Iteration. Always calling him Headless chicken. Haha.

Anyways,

I just chose Japeth because of Mobility. We can also Choose Troy Instead.

I am fine with JMF too, but he would probably be limited because he is even worse than our young bigs in PNR Coverage. We saw it when Mikey attacked him.

Pero sabagay, It will mean more mins and responsibility for Kai. Hehe.

I want Kai to be one of the main options by Gilas in 2023 anyway.
                  No, I don't like the Worlds Japeth. In Asia he has good performances. He can be relied upon against Asian teams but the Worlds seem to shut down the brain of Japeth.
                  sigpic

Comment

but the Worlds seem to shut down the brain of Japeth.
                    which is a shame because he's one of the few pinoy players who have the physical tools to match up well against the world's top players

Comment

No, I don't like the Worlds Japeth. In Asia he has good performances. He can be relied upon against Asian teams but the Worlds seem to shut down the brain of Japeth.
                      Like for example in 2019, he was a foul machine, shoots 33% FG as a big and.... can you believe it? Registered only 1 block and that's despite averaging over 20 mins per game in 5 games. Don't get me started on Troy's even more abysmal performances...

Comment

Even against Asian teams he's very inconsistent. He'll either have a very good game or he'll play like @ss. Which why we need better tall players so we can bench him if he's nagkakalat

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
                          I understand getting Kiefer because he needs to integrate with the system of Chot, since he will also the lead guard for big tournaments like FIBA Asia and Asian Games, But Montalbo? I'm TNT fan but it's obvious Chot using this Gilas to develop his players at TNT.... But anyway, This is SEAG only... Pagbigyan nalang muna... But putting him in final 12 at FIBA Asia and Asian Games? That's very obvious that he's using this opportunity to develop his players...
                          Agree. This is just for the SEA Games so I don't really mind Chot preferring to get Montalbo over what most of us think are better PBA point guards than Montalbo.

Of course things wud be different when we wud be talking about the Gilas roster for the 2022 FIBA Asia Cup & the window qualifiers for the 2023 FIBA World Cup.

I hope & think Robert Bolick wud be available for the Asia Cup.
                          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                            Even against Asian teams he's very inconsistent. He'll either have a very good game or he'll play like @ss. Which why we need better tall players so we can bench him if he's nagkakalat
                            Correct bro.
                            With Japeth, its either a hit or miss. He just can't be consistent. One game he'll do well, the next game he'll suck big time.

Also, Japeth doesn't bring with him experience despite being a national team veteran of almost a decade & a half already. Its like Japeth's savvy (or the lack of it) & understanding of FIBA game had hardly improved all these years.
                            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by magic_chiongson View Post
                              which is a shame because he's one of the few pinoy players who have the physical tools to match up well against the world's top players
                              Physical tools, yes Japeth have them. But Japeth simply lacks the brains, poise & the guts to hold his own in the world level.
                              Notice those easy point blank shots that he missed in a particular game in the 2019 World Cup? Halatang intimidated sya. He easily gets intimidated. This doesnt speak well for a national team veteran of more than a decade. Parang he hasn't gotten used to the pressure of playing the FIBA game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                                i hope sbp are thinking ways that will allow michael philips and zavier lucero play for Gilas as locals. sayang length, motor and athleticism of these kids.
                                They also put that to good use and exert effort on defense and on the boards. Hope SBP is considering exemptions for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information