Franz Wagner Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franz Wagner Thread

Time to give a little shout out for this German gem. Seems like he will end up the top European pick in NBA DRAFT 2021. Projected around 8-12 picks. I paid more attention to him and I love him, nearly absolutely love him. Super smooth 6'9 forward, terrific handles (it's truly close to guard handles in his case), impressive passer. What stands outs instantly, however, is his special motor and passion for the game, it just stand outs instantly. That passion for the game. He's an efficient all around scorer and basically complete offensive profile despite not entirely quick and super good looking trigger. His feel for the game, handles, passing is really up to the point when he should really be able to be a point forward, secondary facilitator. Decent, but not great defender. He's gonna be a big piece for Germany. Surely more talented than his bro NBA player Moritz Wagner. Huge European talent, IMO, and will leave a mark into FIBA Euro ball history as well:

SHOP OUR MERCH WITH TEESPRING: https://teespring.com/stores/swishclothing Follow our Instagram: https://instagram.com/swish.insta?igshid=1c70ky84oss08...
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

What are you talking about. He is a lockdown defender and a good passer but cant create much space, so nothing like guard level handling skills etc. His great plus is his perimeter, rotation and help defense. Thats what makes him interesting, not his handles etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
      What are you talking about. He is a lockdown defender and a good passer but cant create much space, so nothing like guard level handling skills etc. His great plus is his perimeter, rotation and help defense. Thats what makes him interesting, not his handles etc.
      How would you back it up? Give me one solid scouting paper were it's said he's a lockdown defender please? Dude, he's an offensive player. Some scouts call him "bad" defender literally:

Defense

The defense is something that Franz Wagner is bad. The things that are average here are that of his team defense awareness, some flashes on ISOs, and ball-handler defenses. He talks on defence, often directing teammates. Good help defender rotating on the baseline or perimeter for keeping the basket/rim with quick hands, and reaction. He does a pretty nice job tagging the roller in help and then getting back to his man. Had some flashes of pesky defender on ISOs with body contact, and eye-hand coordination. Also, Franz is able to make pressure to limit the ball handler's court vision during PnR. He gives his opponent a bad angle. However, end of the day, I think FW is a bad defender. He can protect the rim but just with the classic blocks (0.6 BPG). Wagner cannot defend quick players. He has potential switching in PnR in a pinch but I think he is not someone can defend roller with high energy or IQ. He showed potential on off-screen defense a little bit but he is not someone to follow his opponent around the screen usually. He can defend the CnS shooters thanks to his length but not consistent. I think his ISO defense is not good. FW has quick hands, also, I think his game IQ is good but he cannot read opponents offense on ISOs. I think his lack of power, end elite lateral movement hurts him about that. Good rebounder in terms of classically. I mean, Wagner is not someone who fights for the rebounds. He reads the game well and moves to the rebound zone. He uses his length advantage and gets the rebound. I guess Wagner will have big problems in the NBA on defense. These problems that he will experience may negatively affect his mental resistance. However, when looking at a draft player in the modern period, the things can do on offense are generally considered important. I think this subject differs from person to person, I think defense is important. However, in the NBA's offensive weighted system, Wagner can find the ideal time to fix defects on defense.

Summary

I think Wagner's ability to use his physically owned tools like a guard and his shooting skills make him a good prospect. But in order to improve his level, he needs shot consistency, strength, vertical pop, lateral movement, average defense, and mental resistance.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
        How would you back it up? Give me one solid scouting paper were it's said he's a lockdown defender please? Dude, he's an offensive player. Some scouts call him "bad" defender literally:

Defense

The defense is something that Franz Wagner is bad. The things that are average here are that of his team defense awareness, some flashes on ISOs, and ball-handler defenses. He talks on defence, often directing teammates. Good help defender rotating on the baseline or perimeter for keeping the basket/rim with quick hands, and reaction. He does a pretty nice job tagging the roller in help and then getting back to his man. Had some flashes of pesky defender on ISOs with body contact, and eye-hand coordination. Also, Franz is able to make pressure to limit the ball handler's court vision during PnR. He gives his opponent a bad angle. However, end of the day, I think FW is a bad defender. He can protect the rim but just with the classic blocks (0.6 BPG). Wagner cannot defend quick players. He has potential switching in PnR in a pinch but I think he is not someone can defend roller with high energy or IQ. He showed potential on off-screen defense a little bit but he is not someone to follow his opponent around the screen usually. He can defend the CnS shooters thanks to his length but not consistent. I think his ISO defense is not good. FW has quick hands, also, I think his game IQ is good but he cannot read opponents offense on ISOs. I think his lack of power, end elite lateral movement hurts him about that. Good rebounder in terms of classically. I mean, Wagner is not someone who fights for the rebounds. He reads the game well and moves to the rebound zone. He uses his length advantage and gets the rebound. I guess Wagner will have big problems in the NBA on defense. These problems that he will experience may negatively affect his mental resistance. However, when looking at a draft player in the modern period, the things can do on offense are generally considered important. I think this subject differs from person to person, I think defense is important. However, in the NBA's offensive weighted system, Wagner can find the ideal time to fix defects on defense.

Summary

I think Wagner's ability to use his physically owned tools like a guard and his shooting skills make him a good prospect. But in order to improve his level, he needs shot consistency, strength, vertical pop, lateral movement, average defense, and mental resistance.

https://www.nbadraftjunkies.com/franz-wagner
        Yeah this was 2 years ago

For all his ability on offense, his NBA value lies in his defensive range and ability … He can easily guard 2-4 in the NBA, and could guard a point guard or center in a pinch … His defensive versatility matches perfectly with the evolving pro game, as switching on screens and defending multiple positions is becoming a key to defensive success … Long, with active hands, Wagner reads the game well and can disrupt opposing offenses … Is tough to get around, as he has a strong frame and move well laterally … He has excellent understanding of defensive positioning, as he often rotates to take away passing lanes, before recovering well to his man…His IQ and length allow him to contest shots really well … Shooting form looks solid …
        Your problem is you never watch player except the Lithuanians. This dude made a huge jump on the defensive end. Shortly said he is the best wing defender that I saw in a long time.

Comment

OK, there are those who praise his D...I'm confused because I went through like 4 scouting papers which marked his D as average or worse, and then I found one where it's really good. Anyway, I watched all his offensive highlights and I love it.

If he's a good defender as well, I understand why they project him around 8 pick now.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

OK, there are those who praise his D...I'm confused because I went through like 4 scouting papers which marked his D as average or worse, and then I found one where it's really good. Anyway, I watched all his offensive highlights and I love it.

If he's a good defender as well, I understand why they project him around 8 pick now.
            OK, maybe I should give a short break down since it is really a bit confusing.

He was a below average defender in Berlin before he went to Miami to College but he made an unbelievable jump on the defensive end. Where should I start: ok, he is switchable and can defend 1-4 in near future, he is great in avoiding screens and contesting shots from behind, he can read games very well, he chases pin down shooter, going under screens in the right time, he is a great defender! But he is not only a great defender personally, he also helps the team defense a lot.

Offensively, he lacks creating space for himself, cant surely finish reliably for himself. He has upside to be a good spot up shooter one day but not now, a good passer but due to a lack of handling skills, he makes many mistakes.

He is an elite role player material who can do a bit more than 3 and D.

I think thats a good summary for him.

Comment

His brother Moritz is a very bad defender thats the reason why he is on the verge of losing his position in the NBA.

Comment

Offensively, he lacks creating space for himself, cant surely finish reliably for himself. He has upside to be a good spot up shooter one day but not now, a good passer but due to a lack of handling skills, he makes many mistakes.
                Thanks for update on his defensive improvements. On other hand, I really don't see lack of handles, though would have to watch couple of entire games. He is projected as secondary distributor by some, that breed is not possible without handles. It's just highlights, but it's all clean and smooth out there: low, precise, close to the body, effortless dribbles. Anyway, let's continue later when I'll see him balling live. Big Euro prospect, that's a fact.

Wagner can score, rebound and he’s developing as a secondary distributor. He has a quick release and a clean stroke from long range, although his numbers don’t jump off the page. A high basketball IQ player, Wagner moves well without the ball and isn’t afraid to take the big shot. He has good size for an NBA wing, although he is an average athlete at best.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

If I may make a comment about handling the ball. The point is not if a wing can put the ball on the floor in a tempting way. Franz can indeed finish the ball in fast break situations. Is this valuable? Of course! Is it enough? No way! The precious part of handling the ball is either creating for yourself or for others in the set offense. Is he that good. Not in 1000 years. This is shortly said on ball offense.

Comment

This is also the difference between Jovic or Prkacin. Prkacin has really big difficulties with creating for himself, Jovic on the other hand has it. This is a huge difference.

Comment

Franz Wagner with a good NBA start. Pays like vet. Among top 5 rookies thus far. Damn, Germany will be tough cookie in Eurobasket 2022.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Career high 28pts.

Career-high 28 PTS on 18 shots for Magic forward Franz Wagner, who has hit double figures in every game and is averaging 15.6 PTS while shooting 54% from 2 and 46% from 3. So versatile. Can handle or screen in PnR at 6-10. Plays a simple game. Defends with energy. Just turned 20.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Career high 28pts.
                          Now it's 38pts.

Franz climbs to Rookie ladder to the no.1. Impressive.

IMO, this season NBA has so many good rookies. Jalen Green is 10th which is pretty crazy.

Orlando's dynamic forward climbs 4 spots to lead the top 10 as a handful of rookies receive increased opportunities.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Now it's 38pts.

Franz climbs to Rookie ladder to the no.1. Impressive.

IMO, this season NBA has so many good rookies. Jalen Green is 10th which is pretty crazy.

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-ladder-dec-29-2021
                            Those rankings are not important and they say nothing. Orlando is a trash team and Franz has every freedom to use every ball. He has grabbed the chance no doubt but he is not the best rookie or something like that.

He only showed that he is gonna be a premium role player sooner than later. There are many players who have more value than him.

Comment

Those rankings are not important and they say nothing. Orlando is a trash team and Franz has every freedom to use every ball. He has grabbed the chance no doubt but he is not the best rookie or something like that.

He only showed that he is gonna be a premium role player sooner than later. There are many players who have more value than him.
                              Most of the top rookies teams are trash teams That's why they have top picks. Only Cavaliers is surprise standing 5th in East, but that's more like RS thing I think.

We'll see, either super role player, or even something more. I think he has an upside of a star in the league.

There's no one obvious best rookie this season, but I bunch of really good rookies. I like Wagner, Mobley, Giddey, Sengun the most. And Giddey is my favorite from the bunch, most fun to watch and in a long run may be most impactful as tall PG prodigy.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information