Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 7 EL clubs met privately, concerned with financial affairs managed by Bertomeu & EL

Euroleague will be closed from the season 2023/24.

Unfortunately there is not enough force and interests to stop it the same like super league in soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Obina View Post
    Euroleague will be closed from the season 2023/24.

Unfortunately there is not enough force and interests to stop it the same like super league in soccer.
    No need to stop it. If they are really abolishing eurocup, that's a good enough gift on itself. Let EL teams further lose money untill realising that.
    From a financial stand point, it's hard to understand the wish of some clubs to enter euroleague. From a competitive stand point, of course they do, but financialy it's a borderline mazochism. This is not football where top clubs want to improve their finances by some billions, this is basketball where clubs are considering abolishing their safety net against Fiba (literaly) and a good portion of legitimacy among fans for 4 million € per year that could be divided among 18 clubs. That is 222.222 € per season, per club. I will not further comment this, no matter how tempting and how hard I am laughing my ass of by that number...

Even if euroleague doubles the tv revenues next year (and they won't), for the big spenders those 1,5 millions won't make a difference. Some might decrease their loss a bit, while others will probably overspend further. And I sincerely don't believe the bottom teams will get the same as the top spenders. So, basicaly, for half of euroleague teams the end game is throwing 100M out of the window in 10 years, as for the other half trying to steal a win now and than, trying to present that in as good way. Marketable as f... i must say.
    At least it will be within a while, when 1/3rd of teams will be like: hey, we suck for the past 3 seasons, but remember 2021 when we almost reached the quarterfinals and ended up 10th, hell yeah! Even Žalgiris, Maccabi or Pao fans will get bored eventualy.

Fiba personel is probably still in the office, having a party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    No need to stop it. If they are really abolishing eurocup, that's a good enough gift on itself. Let EL teams further lose money untill realising that.
    From a financial stand point, it's hard to understand the wish of some clubs to enter euroleague. From a competitive stand point, of course they do, but financialy it's a borderline mazochism. This is not football where top clubs want to improve their finances by some billions, this is basketball where clubs are considering abolishing their safety net against Fiba (literaly) and a good portion of legitimacy among fans for 4 million € per year that could be divided among 18 clubs. That is 222.222 € per season, per club. I will not further comment this, no matter how tempting and how hard I am laughing my ass of by that number...

Even if euroleague doubles the tv revenues next year (and they won't), for the big spenders those 1,5 millions won't make a difference. Some might decrease their loss a bit, while others will probably overspend further. And I sincerely don't believe the bottom teams will get the same as the top spenders. So, basicaly, for half of euroleague teams the end game is throwing 100M out of the window in 10 years, as for the other half trying to steal a win now and than, trying to present that in as good way. Marketable as f... i must say.
    At least it will be within a while, when 1/3rd of teams will be like: hey, we suck for the past 3 seasons, but remember 2021 when we almost reached the quarterfinals and ended up 10th, hell yeah! Even Žalgiris, Maccabi or Pao fans will get bored eventualy.

Fiba personel is probably still in the office, having a party.
    I thought they were "just" turning Eurocup into a literal second tier of Euroleague? Basically an almost entirely closed league and only 20 clubs participating?
    One question- are they still planning on expanding Euroleague from 18 teams?

Totally agree about the dismal financial "incentives" involved in all this. Like you say, to qualify for the Champions League in football is like winning the lottery. A pretty stark contrast to what EL is offering...

Mr Vatutin on the future of national leagues...

ABOUT A CLOSED EUROLEAGUE

This perspective is under discussion. But the question is broader. In the future we may have more elimination games.We are facing with three alternatives since many years. Leave the national championships, but there could be legal problems. Play only the national playoffs, but other clubs may disagree. Create two teams, one for EuroLeague and one for national championship, but there would be a budget problem.
    https://sportando.basketball/en/andr...a-possibility/

Looks like Unicaja is seriously considering defecting to the BCL, which would be another loss to Jordi, especially after it appears that Khimki will disappear from top level competition.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/eurocup...mpions-league/

What is going on with Khimki?

Unicaja so far seemed as one of the more loyal teams to Bertomeu and the euroleague idea. If they are considering this, than it's obvious others will at least think about it as well.
    Olimpija will not consider it, though.
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Unicaja so far seemed as one of the more loyal teams to Bertomeu and the euroleague idea. If they are considering this, than it's obvious others will at least think about it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post

Khimki are supposedly withdrawing from the VTB League next season.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/vtb/120...united-league/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456