Lithuania in Eurobasket 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    What are you talking here at all? You critisized Bendzius the most and even didn't give him a credit in his good games. If he wouldn't be invited anywhere you would be the first who has nothing against that.

You were OK with Maksvytis but when he didn't take Velicka he suddenly became and everything is not OK with him anymore. You are a classical fanboy. Exactly the same was when Kulboka wasn't invited.
    Can you quote me? Can you you quote me where I ever said Bendzius is not good for windows? I never was high on him as A team option, but never questioned his impact in windows.

Is Zukauskas better than Bendzius?

And why you're so angry? Your 98% of posts is an attempt to unmask me, you barely come here with positive data. That seems to be a bit on an issue.

If I was OK with Maksvytis prior his actual job, that means I will always be his loyal supporter no matter what is he doing?

If I'm disappointed with some absences doesn't make me a fan boy. Fanboys don't ever admit their mistakes. I admit that in 2019/2020 season I overrated Kulboka's readiness and consistency.

Chill out, dude. I don't think hate is good for you or for anyone. As long as I will watch basketball, I will remain critical. But that's the thing, it's criticism, not hate. Maybe Maksvytis will win everything in windows, then will select medal winning roster for 2022 EB and eventually NT will be in Olympics (proving that my concern for Maksvytis' lack of long term thinking is unreasonable) and I will just take the hat off for Maksvytis. Now I really question the cut of Velicka - who I'm sure already is better than Cizauskas and I think deserved a chance to show himself at least in 1 game- and I'm surprised seeing Bendzius being cut (to a lesser degree missed Radzevicius and Geben in). Bendzius is probably scoring leader in all windows recently.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• I can't quote anything simply because you have too many posts and i'm anyway not saying you questioned his impact in windows. However, you never had given him a credit as well. I clearly remember the windows where he had a bad performance in the first game and you didn't miss a chance to bite him because of that. But then in the second game he was good nailing a number of 3pointers that changed the game and you still put some not positive remarks. And now Maksvytis is bad because he has chosen Zukauskas instead of Bendzius. It's hypocrisy from you simply because you don't rate Bendzius high (even if it's about windows). By the way, Zukauskas played better than Bendzius in the last game where they both took part. He's a tough guy who is decent and the coach knows him for years. It's not about Maksytis, most of the coaches would be OK with Zukauskas here.

By the way, why are you keep going asking if "player A is better than player B"? It's not working like this is all the team sports. Coach tries to bring the players who suits his game style better. I don't say that bringing Cizauskas instead of Velicka is a good decision, but Zukauskas instead of Bendzius is a legit one here. There are plenty of such in basketball overall, not a big deal at all.

My posts related to you are definitely not about 100%. Look at "Lithuanian talents" thread. I've just "brought" a new name to this forum.

I called you a fanboy because you are overdoing with criticism (i would use another word but anyway) when it's related to your favourites. As i have mentioned in the similar Kulboka's case it was the same, when Maciulis yelled on Grigonis who was your favourite at that time you couldn't stop "barking" for a while and etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
        I can't quote anything simply because you have too many posts and i'm anyway not saying you questioned his impact in windows. However, you never had given him a credit as well. I clearly remember the windows where he had a bad performance in the first game and you didn't miss a chance to bite him because of that. But then in the second game he was good nailing a number of 3pointers that changed the game and you still put some not positive remarks. And now Maksvytis is bad because he has chosen Zukauskas instead of Bendzius. It's hypocrisy from you simply because you don't rate Bendzius high (even if it's about windows). By the way, Zukauskas played better than Bendzius in the last game where they both took part. He's a tough guy who is decent and the coach knows him for years. It's not about Maksytis, most of the coaches would be OK with Zukauskas here.

By the way, why are you keep going asking if "player A is better than player B"? It's not working like this is all the team sports. Coach tries to bring the players who suits his game style better. I don't say that bringing Cizauskas instead of Velicka is a good decision, but Zukauskas instead of Bendzius is a legit one here. There are plenty of such in basketball overall, not a big deal at all.

My posts related to you are definitely not about 100%. Look at "Lithuanian talents" thread. I've just "brought" a new name to this forum.

I called you a fanboy because you are overdoing with criticism (i would use another word but anyway) when it's related to your favourites. As i have mentioned in the similar Kulboka's case it was the same, when Maciulis yelled on Grigonis who was your favourite at that time you couldn't stop "barking" for a while and etc.
        OK, I was hesitant to praise Bendzius and always had love and hate (more hate) relationships with him. But I'm also almost certain that I mentioned him as one of the most consistent players in FIBA windows previously, specifically after one if his good games under Maskoliunas.

I'm aware that Zukauskas is more physical, tougher and better defender (even though I've seen him in only few games last year) and maybe that will be exactly what Maksvytis will need. But it's still questionable when he cuts Bendzius who proved his worth in many (not one like Zukauskas) games and actually didn't screw as a member of an A team in summer. Questionable, IMO. I'm a bit concerned how straight forward "subjective" Maksvytis is taking is "own" dudes like Cizauskas, Zukauskas, Girdziunas. It may not happened, but I'm concerned that he will give up some A team pieces for his own guys in A NT in summer. It is almost certain that he won't be investing to any young players much if any, as Shaw correctly pointed out, and you know me, I'm not a fan of such position. I advocate long term thinking.

Well, that was Lekavicius Grigonis is the one who yells himself at others. I changed the attitude towards that and agree that we need gutsy fighter who can say harsher word to a teammate, but at that time I was really angry when Maciulis simply spit his anger to other after his own mistake.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• How refreshing seeing again our NT playing with game plan and knowing what we want to do offensively compare to total chaos under Maskoliunas...

Good job by Pasquil convincing Kuzminskas or u putting your big 2m06 ass in the paint againts way smaller SF players or you are not playing at all.

For Euroleague SF in last 5 Zenit games was hard to handle long Kuz in the paint, for Czechs champions league players is nightmare.

Kuz turned game around when come from bench in first half.

Comment

• Second half was alot tougher .Czech zone defence was smart desicion by their head coach and overall referees allowed alot of contact.

Zukauskas i like him alot.That what style player we need at PF.

Tough,smart,can jump and run and can make open long shot and is not affraid to get bloody playing defence inside. By far was our best player in first window games.Thats +- stat is not lying.

I like him more from what i saw in these 2games than Bendzius,Masiulis,Kulboka,Kuz,Miniotas long softies we tried before in those window games.

Kuz is good only playing in Sf position.

Comment

• Despite some quite ugly basketball at times (and ugly refereeing too lol), I still liked what I saw from this coach and a team of random mediocrities The defensive intensity is always there and that's the foundation you build on at any level of basketball. Overall, Maksvytis is about on par with Adomaitis as a coach and he's obviously head and shoulders above that disaster Maskoliunas..a nice stepping stone in the right direction imo

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                Second half was alot tougher .Czech zone defence was smart desicion by their head coach and overall referees allowed alot of contact.
                I still don't understand why Team Lietuva doesn't employ zone defences more often in the summer tournaments. NBA stars basically never face zone defences in the NBA and would find it tough to adjust to such a defence immediately. Plus Team Lietuva could avoid having opposing coaches force Lukas Lekavičius to switch off and cover a 7'2" center in the paint while Jonas Valančiūnas is chasing a guard around the perimeter. We know those mismatches on defence aren't a recipe for success for Team Lietuva.

Last edited by Hepcat; 12-01-2021, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post
                  Despite some quite ugly basketball at times (and ugly refereeing too lol), I still liked what I saw from this coach and a team of random mediocrities
                  I really liked Coach Adomaitis' capability to weld whoever he could find at the local playground into a reasonably cohesive team. Coach Maksvytis may well have the same skill.

Comment

• What I take from Maksvytis debut and the start of Olympic cycle:

1. Maksvytis unleashed big partiality, even bias I would say (unintentionally off course). How many people prior this window thought? "Well, it would be nice to see Cizauskas on the team" I think zero. Or how many people thought, "Yeah, Girdziunas should start and to be our main PG, decision maker". Also zero, IMO. Girdziunas struggled with this role highly. Cizauskas didn't prove anything. He played worse than Velicka did a year ago. And Maksvytis also could invite Janavicius, Vasiliauskas, Zemaitis who are all better PGs than Cizauskas. Even from selected players he had to trust Normantas more, IMO.

But, Maksvytis was absolutely right on Zukauskas and I stand corrected with my yesterdays doubt.

So I find Maksvytis partiality worrysome looking to the future, because in these windows it made more harm than helped. But I hope we won't see this in A NT camp and selection.

2. I liked that NT played simple, vital and aggressive basketball at both ends. NT looked more confident and flexible than under Maskoliunas. Specially I liked intensity at the defence. I'm all OK with the style of play, but I'm concerned with players selection.

Now about individuals. Dimsa choked. As I said he's not A team material and even in windows he's too inconsistent and not having strong mentality. He had the status of the leader of this team and obviously he couldn't handle. 1 efficiency point against Bulgaria and -3 against Czhech Rep. I would have tough time deciding if I want him for the next window.

Olisevicius played well in first game, but he's poor defender and against tougher defences he's becoming limited because of his humble size and athleticism. Not an A team material, but can help in windows.

Echodas proved something, he can play in such windows.

Birutis remains unplayable defensively nearly. IMO, Geben had to be in.

Masiulis was meh at best, but should remain a lock for windows.

Kuzminskas had a good stretch and helped, but I see him more as windows material rather than serious A team material.

Zukauskas played really solid. Surely made himself a lock for windows, but I would be reserved thinking about his chances to be in the A NT camp yet if no absences. Need to see more. Against A class competitors.

Butkevicius was a bit bleak against Czech Rep. He's not consistent enough to be true glue guy consistently, but nevertheless he's the only guy who I would have as a lock for the NT camp this summer.

We will need some EL players in the second phase when we will face more serious opponents, that's for sure. We should remember that Adomaitis often had Kalnietis and Lekavicius in, and even JV, Sabonis in some windows. We will need that in the future.

First window raised some long term concerns to me, but 2 wins are 2 wins.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                      Cizauskas didn't prove anything. He played worse than Velicka did a year ago. And Maksvytis also could invite Janavicius, Vasiliauskas, Zemaitis who are all better PGs than Cizauskas. Even from selected players he had to trust Normantas more, IMO.

But, Maksvytis was absolutely right on Zukauskas and I stand corrected with my yesterdays doubt.

2. I liked that NT played simple, vital and aggressive basketball at both ends. NT looked more confident and flexible than under Maskoliunas. Specially I liked intensity at the defence. I'm all OK with the style of play, but I'm concerned with players selection.

Now about individuals. Dimsa choked.

Olisevicius played well in first game, but he's poor defender and against tougher defences he's becoming limited because of his humble size and athleticism. Not an A team material, but can help in windows.

Echodas proved something, he can play in such windows.

Zukauskas played really solid. Surely made himself a lock for windows....

Butkevicius was a bit bleak against Czech Rep. He's not consistent enough to be true glue guy consistently, but nevertheless he's the only guy who I would have as a lock for the NT camp this summer.

First window raised some long term concerns to me, but 2 wins are 2 wins.
                      We're in agreement on these specific points. I'm hoping that Coach Maksvytis selects different/better PGs for the next window because the combo of Mindaugas Girdžiūnas and Vytenis Čižauskas weren't very effective. The games were won with the wings and Martynas Echodas down low plus tough high pressure defence.

Comment

• When Czech put zone in second half it was very clear we didnt have smart desicion maker on team.

Kariniauskas would have had helped alot in those situations when team couldnt find how to break zone when our long shots wasnt falling.

Zone looks good only if your opponents isnt making half open long shots (like LTU couldnt make today) but if they does like best teams does 2020s zone is uselless and can work only for little streaches as a suprise weapon.

In 80 or 90s teams could use zone more than half of the game,but not in 2020s where average players are shooting simply better overall compared to 90s players.

Try to put zone on shooting team like Slovenia that would be death penalty. Against France athletes maybe it could work for some streaches if looking at our first opponents in eurobasket.

Comment

• A.Butkevicius is doing what M.Zukauskas was doing for years under Sireika and Kazlauskas. You wont get some offensive boosts from them,but such players does all those little things that coaches understand very well and simply trust such type players.

Solid individual defender,very could help defender and overall smart player that feels naturally where to be grabbing offensive rebounds or getting steals in critical moments of the game.

Is not accident coaches choosing Arnas playing last minutes in all most important recent ltu NT games Denmark,Slovenia or today Czech.

Such type players usually is voted captain by his teammates,because other players see what such type players brings that most fans cant realise who arent inside the team.

Comment

• our eurobasket 2022 group

France 2-0
                            Slovenia 2-0
                            Lithuania 2-0
                            Bosnia 2-0
                            Germany 1-1
                            Hungary 1-1 (lost to France)

We got very nice group in eurobasket. Thank you old federation for making our teams trips ale easier to plan

Its seems Bosnia are better team then i thought,now they started 2-0 and also won eurobasket 2022 qualification group too with 5-1 playing with Greece and Latvia in same group.

Next 2 games will be againts Bosnia in February we will see how could they really are. Its good we have them in same qualification group our coaches could see them closely before eurobasket game in September.
                            Last edited by Shawshank; 11-29-2021, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• That wasn't simple old school zone defence. As Maksvytis said it was a match up defence. It's switching from man to man to zone D and thus offensive team getting confused and struggle to identify the type of D. That surely worked and Czech Rep had a momentum. Ronen Ginzburg is a solid coach. They lost one of their key players, but stayed in the game because of smart coaches decisions.

Kariniauskas was so very much needed. I think even Velicka or Janavicius could do much good for this team. But also, even now Dimsa could simply nail couple threes, and he was open several times...

IDK, even against France...Fournier, De Colo, Okobo...You can't play traditional zone for a minute these days, IMO.
                              Last edited by Straight forward; 11-29-2021, 08:19 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                                Zone looks good only if your opponents isnt making half open long shots (like LTU couldnt make today) but if they does like best teams does 2020s zone is uselless and can work only for little streaches as a suprise weapon.

In 80 or 90s teams could use zone more than half of the game,but not in 2020s where average players are shooting simply better overall compared to 90s players.

Try to put zone on shooting team like Slovenia that would be death penalty. Against France athletes maybe it could work for some streaches if looking at our first opponents in eurobasket.
                                Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                                That wasn't simple old school zone defence. As Maksvytis said it was a match up defence. It's switching from man to man to zone D and thus offensive team getting confused and struggle to identify the type of D.

IDK, even against France...Fournier, De Colo, Okobo...You can't play traditional zone for a minute these days, IMO.
                                But what defensive scheme should Team Lietuva employ then in summers? I'm sick and tired of seeing opposition coaches using a very basic pick 'n roll to isolate our defenders on opponents our defenders aren't suited to guarding.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information