Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Lithuania in Eurobasket 2022

  1. #1
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,582
    Country: Lithuania

    Default Lithuania in Eurobasket 2022

    our federation agreed deal with german federation that we gonna play in Germany first stage of eurobasket 2022.

    Interesting from one point its good ,because finals rounds will be played also in Germany so not long yourneys.

    But what does this agreement does is that our NT now will get strong group either way .

    LTU NT is strongest team from pot nr 2 and Germany is strongest team from pot nr4.

    Our group will look something like that Lithuania,Germany and one from SPA/FRA/SER/GRE and one from Slo/Cro/Tur/Pol + 2 weaker teams.

    If our NT takes like 3 or 4th place in this group we are getting already strong opponnets in 1/8. I would rather saw our NT playing first group in Georgia and try to make deal with them that historically we have good relations.

    Im not a fan of this federation desicion .
    Last edited by Shawshank; 03-17-2021 at 01:08 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Shawshank, interesting observations. The group will be tough, but usually we love tough groups. In 2003 we had a tough group and we won everything, in 2013 we had a tough group and we won everything. I look positively towards 2023 Eurobasket. Jokuabitis should be ready for serious action, Grigonis should be even better, Sedekerskis should be defensive beast at that time, we might have an addition of Tubelis at 4 and Sabonis will be also better (while vets like Kuzminskas, JV, Ulanovas, Giedraitis shouldn't be much if any worse). We are on a dynamic growing path and my expectations for 2023 Eurobasket is pretty high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  3. #3
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,428
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    I feel like we need a separate thread for Eurobasket 2022. I hope you don't mind, guys for moving the posts.


  4. #4
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,582
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    it will be eurobasket 2022 not 2023 (that will be world cup year) eurobasket starts after 18months from now.

    Draw could put our NT in weak or strong group. Now this agreement send our Nt to strong group unless luckily we will get Poland from 3pot,but 75% chance we will get not Poland.

    Or make deal with Georgia or dont do no deals and let draw decided everything thats would have been my plan.

  5. #5
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,428
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    But it was Georgia or Germany what so ever, isn't it? Other hosts are in the same pot as us. I think travelling for team and fans, accommodation, final stage of competition - everything is in Germany favor. While playing vs hosts in Germany or Georgia, I don't know what is better/worse. Georgia is tough competitive team with Shengelia, Bitadze, naturalized PG and co and then that hot tempered home crowd. Regarding the rest of possible rivals it all stays the same no matter Georgia or Germany as both of them are in pot 4


  6. #6

    Default n o

    With all honesty I'm more concerned whenever we'll have a head coach for 2022 Eurobasket and not about group stage opponents. Not only because we'll have a decent chance to go after medals, but also because of WC qualification. We should be in 2023WC, I think we will have a really strong team then, and potentially fighting for direct transition to Olympic games of 2024 which would be huge.

    In other words, I'm not a believer of Maskoliunas and this situation is so uncomfortable because I do want NT to do good this summer, but I don't see us going with Maskoliunas long term. I hope federation won't ever put us in such shitty situation ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  7. #7
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,582
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    But it was Georgia or Germany what so ever, isn't it? Other hosts are in the same pot as us. I think travelling for team and fans, accommodation, final stage of competition - everything is in Germany favor. While playing vs hosts in Germany or Georgia, I don't know what is better/worse. Georgia is tough competitive team with Shengelia, Bitadze, naturalized PG and co and then that hot tempered home crowd. Regarding the rest of possible rivals it all stays the same no matter Georgia or Germany as both of them are in pot 4
    yes Italy and Czech is in same pot as us so federation couldnt even make deal with them.

    Germany and Georgia are pot 4 so our federation could make deal only with those 2.

    Germany as today stands have 5 nba players that all got bigger roles in nba than Bitadze has. Schroder is top 60 nba player.

    I dont see where is pluses get strongest team from pot 4 ? Objectively talking by level Germany should been in 3 pot and Poland in 4th.

    So with this deal we are getting 2 teams which is 3 pot level teams with 75% chance.

    Germany eliminated France in last eurobasket 2017 1/8 they are good level team.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 03-17-2021 at 02:58 PM.

  8. #8
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,428
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    yes Italy and Czech is in same pot as us so federation couldnt even make deal with them.

    Germany and Georgia are pot 4 so our federation could make deal only with those 2.

    Germany as today stands have 5 nba players that all got bigger roles in nba than Bitadze has. Schroder is top 60 nba player.

    I dont see where is pluses get strongest team from pot 4 ? Objectively talking by level Germany should been in 3 pot and Poland in 4th.

    So with this deal we are getting 2 teams which is 3 pot level teams with 75% chance.

    Germany eliminated France in last eurobasket 2017 1/8 they are good level team.
    My point was exactly that there are absolutely no need to speculate on things you wrote at the start of conversation, stronger group, draws and etc. There are no such things. It's simply Germany vs Georgia. Pluses, I wrote you about it. On paper of course Germany is better, but that's only on paper. If you mention 2017, then in that Eurobasket we beat Germany with ease, +20 or so, but we lost vs Georgia. Georgia was always for us that uncomfortable, physical rival which plays with their hearts out. In Georgia with their hot tempered fans it would be very tough again. So I see no big difference here. If we want to get easier path in knock-out stage, we must beat any of them


  9. #9
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    2,582
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    My point was exactly that there are absolutely no need to speculate on things you wrote at the start of conversation, stronger group, draws and etc. There are no such things. It's simply Germany vs Georgia. Pluses, I wrote you about it. On paper of course Germany is better, but that's only on paper. If you mention 2017, then in that Eurobasket we beat Germany with ease, +20 or so, but we lost vs Georgia. Georgia was always for us that uncomfortable, physical rival which plays with their hearts out. In Georgia with their hot tempered fans it would be very tough again. So I see no big difference here. If we want to get easier path in knock-out stage, we must beat any of them

    In 2017 group yes we beat germany,but they still finished in group 2nd over Italy who is ale in 2 pot now and georgians didnt even survive that group.

    Im not sure at all who has better team today some Italy or Germany. Georgia is not same team as they were in Pachulia generation.

    Germany with those nba role players and some players from 2 euroleague clubs germans have playing at home with 12+ thousand support wouldnt shocked me at all seeing them playing 1/4 game.

    Thast why im not a fan getting from pot nr 4 team that can reach 1/4. From pot 4 we should be getting Georgian or Finland level teams.

    in 2015 eventual eurobasket champions Spain barely survive that group in Berlin beating Germans by 1 pts in last must win game.

    Our federations i believe didnt even take in account all those draws posibilities,they just tried to find easier way for all those their accomondations things.

    And that with this desicion they will give our NT strongest group its not federation problems,it will be NT coaches problems

    We will see how this draw will end up in April ,but i will be really suprised if group with best team from pot 2 + best team from pot 4 wont make the strongest groups overall.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 03-17-2021 at 08:53 PM.

  10. #10
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,428
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Shawshank, there are no other draw possibilities It was purely Georgia or Germany. Then everything is the same as both are from same pot and other two hosts are from our pot. The question was just between these two. Nothing else. You could've been sure right from the start that one of these two teams will be in our group, so federation agreed with one of them. We don't even know if Georgia was part of our plan, maybe yes and they declined, maybe no and it was Germany as only option. Travelling is easier, that's important in short tournament, fans support too as we rely on it a lot. It won't be just Germany game.

    We all know that Germany is better on paper, they has deeper talent pool, but I'm not talking about that. Overall we never had too much troubles with them even in Dirk times. Their game suits us good and they are predictable with Schroeder, who can kill the flow of the game with his individualistic actions, especially if you put him into uncomfortable position and force him to play isolated. We did that in 2017. He scored big, but he didn't involve his team at all. And we beat them rather easily. You keep digging for older result, but you skipped freshest 2019. Dominicana did the same, Schroeder was awful and they kicked Germany out from 1st group stage. In 2015 they failed the same way and they still had Dirk, who was that balance, a link between wild Schroeder and rest of the group. That's why 2015 Schroeder was very good. But now he is hard to control at times being sole leader. Georgia is different. No Pachulia, but there's Bitadze to compensate to some degree. He is really good in Euro bball. Overall they are more team oriented, more fighting spirit, more physical, which is always a problem for us. If everyone will come, I think they will be very hard nut to crack at home with wild crowd.

    Overall, I see no big difference here or reason to panic. If you do, that's fine by me, it's subjective


  11. #11
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,684
    Country: Canada

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Shawshank, there are no other draw possibilities It was purely Georgia or Germany.

    We all know that Germany is better on paper, they has deeper talent pool, but I'm not talking about that. Overall we never had too much troubles with them even in Dirk times. Their game suits us good.... Georgia is different.... If everyone will come, I think they will be very hard nut to crack at home with wild crowd.
    I agree. While Germany may be better than Georgia on paper, Lithuania has not had trouble with Germany in the past. Lithuania is 8-0 versus Germany in official play including an 89-72 victory in 2017. Against Georgia though Lithuania is 1-1 with an 85-81 nail-biter of a win in the playoffs in 2014 and a 77-79 loss in 2017.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Travelling is easier, that's important in short tournament, fans support too as we rely on it a lot. It won't be just Germany game.
    Team Lietuva will get far more support from Lithuanian fans in Cologne than in Tbilisi. I'm sure tour operatore in Lithuania are already planning plane, high speed rail and motor coach packages to Cologne by way of Warsaw and/or Berlin from Vilnius and Kaunas. Smooth as silk. Meanwhile travelling to Georgia even by plane would entail stopovers and stressful customs stoppages/searches.


  12. #12
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,684
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Evidently there were 1000 or so fans supporting Team Lietuva in China for the 2019 World Cup. I suspect therefore that there should be over 3000 in Cologne for Eurobasket 2022.


  13. #13
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,428
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Evidently there were 1000 or so fans supporting Team Lietuva in China for the 2019 World Cup. I suspect therefore that there should be over 3000 in Cologne for Eurobasket 2022.

    It was hardly a 1000 in China, it was too expensive trip, so some left earlier after first group, finally it was probably just few hundreds. In Germany of course number will increase big time, but only if there will be no restrictions


  14. #14
    Senior Member Hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,684
    Country: Canada

    Exclamation

    It was just after the one minute mark of this video that I heard that estimate of the number of Lithuanian fans in China and it surprised me as well:



    A FIBA announcer isn't exactly the most credible source of course.


  15. #15
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,428
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    It was just after the one minute mark of this video that I heard that estimate of the number of Lithuanian fans in China and it surprised me as well:

    A FIBA announcer isn't exactly the most credible source of course.

    Well, FIBA announcer would boost any number and anything for FIBA competition to look better Our press is not the most reliable either, but at least I kinda trust them on such things, they surely wouldn't write smaller numbers. Anyway, it doesn't matter much now, let's hope that at least there'll be no restrictions for fans in 2022. Maybe will give a shot myself


  16. #16

    Default

    So all hosts picked their group members (we got strongest hosts, IMO) and from what's left I want this group:

    Greece, Lithuania, Croatia, Germany, Hungary, Bulgaria.

    Worst scenario: Serbia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Germany, Belgium, Bosnia

    Greece is least intimidating compared to France, Serbia, Spain. Their stars guards getting old, couple of youngsters coming, but nothing huge. Giannis has obvious limitations in FIBA, beatable powerhouse. Croatia doesn't have guards and it suits as well.Simon will be 37. Some average American maybe, but generally we can beat Croatia surely. Germany probably isn't weaker team than Greece, plenty of NBA quality and Schroder in his prime, this is tough opponent. Hungary and Bulgaria....

    Looking forward to draw now.

    https://www.delfi.lt/krepsinis/nauji....d?id=86886927
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    3,123
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    So all hosts picked their group members (we got strongest hosts, IMO) and from what's left I want this group:

    Greece, Lithuania, Croatia, Germany, Hungary, Bulgaria.

    Worst scenario: Serbia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Germany, Belgium, Bosnia

    Greece is least intimidating compared to France, Serbia, Spain. Their stars guards getting old, couple of youngsters coming, but nothing huge. Giannis has obvious limitations in FIBA, beatable powerhouse. Croatia doesn't have guards and it suits as well.Simon will be 37. Some average American maybe, but generally we can beat Croatia surely. Germany probably isn't weaker team than Greece, plenty of NBA quality and Schroder in his prime, this is tough opponent. Hungary and Bulgaria....

    Looking forward to draw now.

    https://www.delfi.lt/krepsinis/nauji....d?id=86886927
    You wont get Greece, you never get Greece in the first group stage I want Greece in Georgia

    And one of the Greece "star" guards wont be available anyway. Calathes will stop playing for Greece after possible Olympics and we can also expect Printezis to quit as well with Bourousis. So its the weakest "pot 1" team.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    You wont get Greece, you never get Greece in the first group stage I want Greece in Georgia

    And one of the Greece "star" guards wont be available anyway. Calathes will stop playing for Greece after possible Olympics and we can also expect Printezis to quit as well with Bourousis. So its the weakest "pot 1" team.
    You right, that means it's about time to have them No disrespect to Greece though, Giannis might find some groove this time and it's still very very quality NT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

  19. #19
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,428
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    With current calendar wouldn't be surprised to see lot of star players skipping this Eurobasket and saving themselves for World Cup as Olympic qualifier. Especially the ones who will play this year too. No one will want to play 3-4 summers in a row, it;s not 90s anymore, so will pick priorities. Hard to say which team will have their best players and which one would suit better


  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    3,123
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    With current calendar wouldn't be surprised to see lot of star players skipping this Eurobasket and saving themselves for World Cup as Olympic qualifier. Especially the ones who will play this year too. No one will want to play 3-4 summers in a row, it;s not 90s anymore, so will pick priorities. Hard to say which team will have their best players and which one would suit better
    This was always a problem, nothing new. The teams with the deepest rosters are advantaged so its easy to say avoiding France, Serbia and Spain is crucial. I would take additionally Russia from pot 2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •