No announcement yet.

Lithuania in Eurobasket 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't exaggerate a lot if I would tell that such a start of Jokubaitis made me more happy than Domas making an All Star roster last season. Again, this is just obvious now that we have special package in Jokubaitis after so many years of guards drought. 21eff is his career high. Very hope that Saras will unleash him more frequently now. These freakin' 6min in ACB was a concern. What an energy by a young fellow:

Rokas Jokubaitis presented himself to Barcelona's fans tonight with great performance: Finding his own teammates, attacking the gaps, didn't miss a single sh...
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
      k.net and 15min are writting basically identical our B team lineups for window games that will look similiar to this:

Kariniauskas,Normantas,Velicka
      Dimsa,Girdziunas,Valinskas
      Butkevicius,Gailius
      Bendzius,Masiulis,Miniotas
      Birutis,Geben,Echodas
      With 42 days to go couple of remarks.

FOA, I'm really satisfied with coaching staff. Federation partially fulfilled the requirement that some-one would work with the NT full time, and it's K. Kemzura. To have 2 legitimate head coaches (Maksvytis and Kemzura) in the team and one potentially to become such (youngster Žibėnas) is pretty solid. I don't know much about Rinkevicius, but he obviously helped Maksvytis to be successful.

Watched almost all candidates and I the main concern is that we may not have true guys to go in upcoming windows.

The problem is that Kariniauskas is way out of shape compered to last season, he still can improve in upcoming 40 days, but he's different. Normantas so far also was struggling and seems kinda lost. That's what happens when guys from some Neptunas, Lietkabelis goes to Rytas, mentally it's still different level to play in Vilnius. The most stable and most explosive PG today is Velicka. Pretty consistent performances. In previous windows it used to be Kalnietis, Lekavicius or Kariniauskas taking over. Not sure who will be this time, but it should be between Kariniauskas and Velicka to run the show.

SG section is very complex and deep. We know that most likely Juskevicius will be in, so to me Dimsa and Adas are locks. Than I totally disagree what softy Valinskas should be in. Hell no. The guy is soft and out of his mind decision making wise. To me the third SG option should come from either Girdziunas, Beliauskas, Sargiunas, D. Giedraitis. I have a sense that Beliauskas is the best player out of the bunch, solid start in ACB. We have enough of vets in this position (specially with Juskevicius) so I would let Girdziunas rest. Now the choice between Sargiunas and D. Giedraitis would be interesting. Sargiunas is more athletic and much more aggressive scorer, while Giedraitis much better decision maker and more talented system player. It depends what Maksvytis would want in a given stage.

SF position should be fine since Butkevicius is in pretty good shape.

At PF we know that there will be E. Žukauskas. I watched him and generally liked him. Nice size, physical, can stretch the floor, good motor, plays with heart. I'm guessing Miniotas will be left aside as he reminds Žukauskas the most to me and other 2 should be Bendzius and Masiulis.

From centers I feel that Geben should be the most consistent guy for windows. Birutis is super inconsistent, sometimes he can explode, and sometimes he's just a lanky softy on the floor. Echodas lacks better decision making and D to be really good. Geben has the most complete profile to offer, but all three may be in.

Summa summarum, the biggest issue is - who will be with the ball when it will be hot? There's no obvious answer unless Kariniauskas will really get into shape. Previously he already showed that he is a candidate to fill this position. We should beat Bulgaria with a distance, but against Czech Rep there might be close one. It would be nice to have one of Jokubaitis, Lekavicius and this problem would be solved.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Depth chart for Maksvytis to choose should look something like that, IMO:

Kariniauskas, Velicka, Normantas, Vasiliauskas, Janavicius
        Dimsa, Juskevicius, Beliauskas, Girdziunas, Sargiunas, D. Giedraitis
        Butkevicius, Radzevicius, Gailius, Lipkevicius
        Bendzius, Masiulis, Miniotas. E. Žukauskas, Olisevičius
        Geben, Echodas, Birutis, Kupsas, Sajus, Kairys

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• main PG of team cant be 21 kid unless he is generational tallent.We can trust kid to run entire team and older players it wont work.

Maksvytis coaching history shown he dont trust kids (Bieliauskas example in Neptunas).He better takes veteran like L.Williams/M.Mazeika types and play them big minutes than upcomming kid because he want to win now.

Kazys would rather put SG like Juskevicius/Girdziunas at PG than choose 21-22 kid to run his team from what i saw from him in last 10 years.

Look at Parma roster Zukauskas at 29 is just 8th oldest player in Parma roster.And Only 4 are U-25 and Maskvytis is allowed to built his team in Parma. It shows clearly what players Kazys likes and what kind players he trust.

For me it was obviuos Kariniauskas is main candidate to play PG in window games. He already shown he is not affraid and can help NT even in desperation games. Thats key when choosing players for just 3 days camps and games.

My early starting 5 would look seeing how Maksvytis runs his teams :

Kariniauskas,Dimsa,Butkevicius,Bendzius,Birutis
          Last edited by Shawshank; 10-11-2021, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, this is truth. He is not known for going with youngsters. On other hand, that's different stage. We can't compare 21-22yo Beliauskas with 21-22yo Velicka f.e. That's 2 different beasts. I would predict that Kariniauskas will start and will be a guy to go de facto .

I only hope that Maksvytis wouldn't make harsh mistakes roster wise for 2022 Eurobasket. For FIBA windows the key should be general determination, team spirit which always lifted us so much. Only in the other group stage we'll need more quality, but can expect Kariniauskas being 100% at that time and maybe Balciunas will be able to bring 1 or 2 EL pieces for most important games.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• about NT coaching staff i see big upgrades.

in 2021 going from 3 asisstant coaches Maskoliunas,Masiulis,Matkevicius

in 2022 NT will have 2 legit head coaches Maksvytis and Kemzura + half way there Zibenas too.

Balciunas was asked about his relationship with P.Motiejunas he didnt answer and start talking about other things. So i wouldnt be too high on him getting zalgiris players for window games.

ps. even if Kariniauskas will not be healthy for all window games those combo guards Maksvytis really likes to play them.

ps. We need to remember in some games in this qualification even Valanciunas with Sabonis can play like in last world cup qualification.Because some games will be played in summer. So then NT will put our A lineup.
              Last edited by Shawshank; 10-11-2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Well, at least now we'll know that if EL players won't show up there literally was no chance to bring them over. That's what I like about Balciunas, he'll definitely do his home works.

At some point Maksvytis will have to rely on PGs. There's no way he can go with such as Juskevicius, Girdziunas, Valinskas on a constant basis. Normantas so far was also shaky. IMO, Maksvytis will have to trust Velicka as a back-up cause the offense would be very limited. Maybe Vasiliauskas as pure PG might be his option as well.

Good point, 2022 window in August will be part of preparation stage for A team prior Eurobasket. Couple of official games will be a good test before EB. But it won't necessary be advantage cause other big teams will have their A rosters in that window as well. We will go against France in the second stage and the situation today is that French NT is stronger than our NT today. But we should qualify nevertheless.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Kairys tore Achiles this summer

Top 5 Lithuanian scorers LKL plus KMT minus EL

Last edited by LuDux; 10-11-2021, 09:43 PM.
                  The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• Velicka is not pure PG either.He is first score only then assist PG closer to combo than pure pg.In theory he fits Maksvytis guard style coach likes.

Kazys likes/liked start Mazeika/Williams/Juskevicius/Girdziunas types at SG and at some point in game move them to PG for offensive reasons and he did that all his coaching career long.

So for few games in qualification i doubt he will change his basketball style that he used in almost every team he coached.

When we see grandpa Lukauskis and veteran Gailius on top 6 scoring lkl list its only shows what a low level lithuanians is playing in lkl.
                    Last edited by Shawshank; 10-12-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Velicka is definitely a point guard. That's written into the stone. He maybe a a Score- First PG, but he's PG nevertheless. I mean no-one would ever argue that Lillard, Curry, T. Parker are not point guards. And there's still big difference usually between a combo guard and a point guard, even if that's a score first PG. F.e. There is difference between Lillard or Parker compared to Manu and Lou Williams. And off course, there's difference between Velicka and some Juskevicius, Valinskas or Normantas. Velicka still has more skills and tools to run the team. Currently, maybe Maksvytis will rely on more experienced guys moving combos to 1, but Velicka is a PG.

It's one of the bloodiest days of LKL historically. From top 10 ballers of the country there's no single one playing in LKL, only Lekavicius and Ulanovas may be included or may be not. From top 10 young ballers of the country there's probably from none to few (Murauskas, Blazevic, D. Giedraitis) playing in LKL, all leaves to play abroad.

I listening to Macas talking and he said back then Rytas was a hell of a club to play for. All the conditions were elite and for him it was 50/50 decision to choose between Baskonia and Rytas. That's the reason why Siskauskas was playing so long for Rytas while already was one of the best wings in Europe. Rytas and Zalgiris were filled with elite Lithuanian players. Now it's shit, not a single elite Lithuanian playing in LKL.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• That's list without foreigners and Zalgiris players. Overall Gailius is 8th and Lukauskis 17th. The horror!

I'm pretty sure Girdziunas and Williams always started at PG, not that I can prove it easily now that starters data disapeared from LKL website
                        The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• Originally posted by LuDux View Post
                          That's list without foreigners and Zalgiris players. Overall Gailius is 8th and Lukauskis 17th. The horror!
                          I understand that is was without foreigners,but when we try to find lkl players that maybe could help NT in window games there is nothing there to choose from.

Only few Rytas players ... all other top 25 ltu players plays not in lkl. ( i dont count zalgiris as lkl team)

One good young prospect that looking prommising this season is Sargiunas so far.

When 42 basketball old men outscoring lkl young fellas i cant take them seriuosly as real prospects sorry.

Real long time NT members at age of 20-22 was showing real results on lkl levels.

Comment

• neither Curry neither Lillard are pure PG. How they playing game of basketball thats closer to Sg . Look at Warriors/Blazers games they arent even bringing the ball half of the time. Draymong always leading warriors team in asisists.

Lillard in Olympics wasnt looking like Pg at all. He was just shooting but wasnt creating. Give ball to Durant near 3 point line and get out of his way that not playmaking

L.James and J.Harden is more real PG how they play than Curry or Lillard or Irving.

They are like Lekavicius size is pg,but playing style like SG. Today in positional basketball diffrence between PG and SG is getting less and less.

Velicka is closer to Lukas than to Kalnietis or Jasikevicius by playing style.
                            Last edited by Shawshank; 10-12-2021, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                              Velicka is closer to Lukas than to Kalnietis or Jasikevicius by playing style.
                              You are wrong on this one. He was treated as one of the biggest p'n'r masters at the age 16-17 (No1 in assists in U17WC, U18EB tournaments and never lower than 3rd overall in all tournaments he played and his teams were sucessful). He was dominating some games assisting wise, providing a hustle, defence in some games barely scoring the ball. To compare him with Lekavicius (2.9as as his youth level record) who could never properly pass anything except a kickout is inedequate. Velicka passing skills translates PRO, 5.6as in 27min playing in Bundeslliga as 21yo is a good result. I've seen him playing enough in French, Germany and Italy. He can play at the point and it would be huge question whenever Kalnietis was up to Velicka's level passing wise at this age, I doubt. You simply have wrong perception in your mind about Velicka. Lekavicius simply can't make some of the passes like long cross court passes, baseball passes, overhead passes and off course p'n'r passes as Velicka is capable. The reason why I prioritize both Jokubaitis and Marciulionis in terms of passing is their more consistent decision making, game reading, but Velicka has all tools to be high level facilitator, at least Kalnietis' level without ant doubt.

To put Kalnietis and Jasikevicius in one sentence is wrong though.

Just watch this one alone carefully to make proper impression about Velicka's passing upside:

Arnas Velicka ('99) is a 6-4 PG who plays for the Lithuanian U17 National Team. He'll move from Kaunas to Barcelona next season. Velicka has outstanding size...
                              Last edited by Straight forward; 10-12-2021, 06:36 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• It's time to talk about the shift which recently happened and Lith basketball community didn't realize yet. It's the decline of 3 position. When we look at our biggest competitors, Serbia has insanely deep 3 position with Lucic, Kalinic, upcoming unique Pokusevski or super talented Nakic (Serbia is super stacked in all positions except 1 TBF), France has Batum, Cabarrot, the same Yabusele can play 3, or even Fournier, Spain has Hernagomez bro, Claver, Abrines, Abalde. The thing is that we can't match this with our Ulanovas, Kuzminskas, Butkevicius. We ain't competing with this line-up, specially with recent Ulanovas and Kuzminskas decline (OK, Ulanovas may bounch back, get in shape, but we can obviously see that some-one like Kalinic can eat Ulanovas alive). Position 3, ever since 2017, has been on a decline. When the most ready and ATM best 3 is Butkevicius...Houston, we have a problem! We talk about position 4, but the way I see it we may have the bigger problem at 3. Literally playing against best Euro teams we have a hole at 3 compared to what those teams have (specially Serbia, France). We see that Kuz is done. Ulanovas is also very limited. Butkevicius is more of a personification of the crisis (a guy who could never make it in EL, suddenly our best option..). It is essentially important what are we getting NEW in few years, what such players as Sedekerskis, Kulboka, Brazdeikis, Sirvydis can bring. We need an upgrade and soon because our 3 position becoming not a competition for top teams. The good news is that at least defensively I know that Sedekerskis can be thrown on such beasts as Kalinic, Batum and so on. But we also need offense. However you look, today Ule, Kuz, Butke are very limited offensive players.

Now I argue that even in 2022 our 3 position may be the weakest link, weaker than 4. I project that this season Tubelis will disperse any doubts about his level as he will totally dominate NCAA and we'll have an ALL STAR Sabonis and upcoming FIBA star Tubelis at 4. These should be treated as "nominal" (even if their not per se) pieces at 4 and it's surely better than some duo of Ulanovas, Butkevicius. The good news only is that wings as Sedekerskis, Kulboka can be moved 3-4 and this might give is some flexibility (specially, I have no doubts about Sedekerskis defensive impact) and it will allow us to stop the bleeding partially. But we need an upgrade and soon. It's so utopian to think that we actually can win something while having obvious positional disadvantages compared to best teams. "Oh, realistically we have inferior 2,3,4 positions, but we have such a good centers and 1992 generation in prime...". Good luck with that, LOL. We seen the outcome of positional disadvantage Doncic vs Butkevicius (and all others who tried). It's deadly.

So far Kuz barely playing in EL and here's comparison between Ulanovas and Sedekerskis:

Sedekerskis 20min, 6.8pts, (90%/33%...no FT shot), 11ef
                                Ulanovas 27min, 5,7pts (20/30/20), 1,7ef
                                Last edited by Straight forward; 10-15-2021, 12:36 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information