Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lithuania in Eurobasket 2022

I think this time it might be different. FOA, last Eurobasket happened in 2017. Some NTs as Croatia, Latvia, Slovenia didn't even play in WC 2019. Then white page in 2020. Now, not all teams (we might be as well) will make OG 2021, not all at all So for some teams it will be 4 years brake till 2022 EB. IMO, it will be much wealthier Eurobasket than it usually is at the start of Olympic cycle. Not to mention that some strong European NTs won't even be able to qualify for 2023 WC and it's not funny at all, because we seen how Maskoliunas handles these FIBA windows...IMO, there will be bunch of stars who will want to compete for Eurobasket because Eurobasket is rare now and no-one will think too much about Olympics. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think now it's way different. We had too many gaps recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    This was always a problem, nothing new. The teams with the deepest rosters are advantaged so its easy to say avoiding France, Serbia and Spain is crucial. I would take additionally Russia from pot 2.
    Well, not exactly always, but since some 2005 it indeed started to get bigger and bigger. NBA doors opened wider, money started to get bigger and more and more players started to pick only the most prestigious tournaments, that's pre-Olympic Eurobasket (now World Cup) and of course Olympics. Eurobasket value has decreased dramatically, thnx to FIBA moves too. Sad reality for an international bballs fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I think this time it might be different. FOA, last Eurobasket happened in 2017. Some NTs as Croatia, Latvia, Slovenia didn't even play in WC 2019. Then white page in 2020. Now, not all teams (we might be as well) will make OG 2021, not all at all So for some teams it will be 4 years brake till 2022 EB. IMO, it will be much wealthier Eurobasket than it usually is at the start of Olympic cycle. Not to mention that some strong European NTs won't even be able to qualify for 2023 WC and it's not funny at all, because we seen how Maskoliunas handles these FIBA windows...IMO, there will be bunch of stars who will want to compete for Eurobasket because Eurobasket is rare now and no-one will think too much about Olympics. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think now it's way different. We had too many gaps recently.
    Latvia won't play in this one too, thnx to those great windows, where lot of big teams struggled, including the same France, Serbia, Germany, so not only your darling Maskoliunas Eurobasket is rare, but everyone still thinks about Olympics and its qualifiers first of all. I mean big teams first of all here. If you'll play this summer in qualifiers and if you'll qualify to Olympics, that's already 2 tournaments and busy summer without a proper rest, then you'll plan to play 2023 qualifiers with a hope of 2024, you surely will pick 2022 as free summer to rest. Load management is trending now. Also all these free agencies will have an impact. I hope Eurobasket will be good, but the last time post-Olympic one was really full of biggest stars in 2001, so I have my doubts and have little faith in current generation to be loyal to NT. Maybe Lithuania will be exception again

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post

Latvia won't play in this one too, thnx to those great windows, where lot of big teams struggled, including the same France, Serbia, Germany, so not only your darling Maskoliunas Eurobasket is rare, but everyone still thinks about Olympics and its qualifiers first of all. I mean big teams first of all here. If you'll play this summer in qualifiers and if you'll qualify to Olympics, that's already 2 tournaments and busy summer without a proper rest, then you'll plan to play 2023 qualifiers with a hope of 2024, you surely will pick 2022 as free summer to rest. Load management is trending now. Also all these free agencies will have an impact. I hope Eurobasket will be good, but the last time post-Olympic one was really full of biggest stars in 2001, so I have my doubts and have little faith in current generation to be loyal to NT. Maybe Lithuania will be exception again
    Good point, jeez. For Latvia it's nightmare. But with all fairness they lack additional depth in their B team while we have it. So we can easier justify theirs and some Slovenians, Croatians sucking at windows, but not ours. Not that we have elite B NT, but it's deeper and more quality.

Yeah, maybe, we'll see. My point probably was that we may be somewhere in the middle in 2022. Some stars will skip it, but it won't be as obvious and as bad as in some previous Eurobaskets. My guess anyway.

Death group once again. If we had relatively favorable draw in 2013-2017 stretch, then we are really getting our hands full since 2019. It's France, Germany, Slovenia, Bosnia and Hungary. The only positive that we avoided Serbia which is without a question the most talented Euro team now and their talent will likely grow gradually. So basically we have 4 powerhouses because Germany is really good and they have great young talents as Franz Wagner (lottery guy basically), Slovenia is a contender as long as they have Doncic. France has super upcoming talents, and some Maledon and probably even Hayes could make serious harm in 2022 summer already. So we getting our hands full, the same Bosnia is not a push over. It will be deep group stage, will take a lot of sweat, so every piece of roster is important, in the group stage all 12 guys should be in rotation pretty much. However, with that said, the top spot is not out of conversation at all. All teams are beatable, but generally some other groups are walk in the park compared, so no celebration this time.

as i said it was very likely that when our federation decision combined strongest team from pot 2 + strongest team from pot 4 = strongest group overall.

2020 Olympic qulifying tournament draw is favourable for LTU. 2 of 3 other tournaments is way stronger.

For our NT France is worse matchup than Serbia is.

In 2013-2017 we were in pot 1 by ranking,after bad recent results we slipped to pot 2 before draw and that will always give one powerhouse in the group from pot1.

if system will be same as 2017 our 1/8 opponnet will come from group A.

Spain,Turkey,Russia,Belgium,Georgia.

So it is must not to finish 4th in this very strong group and dont need to see Spain already in 1/8.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 04-29-2021 at 02:58 PM.

as i said it was very likely that when our federation decision combined strongest team from pot 2 + strongest from pot 4 = strongest group overall.

2020 Olympic qulifying tournament draw is favourable for LTU. 2 of 3 other tournaments is way stronger.

For our NT France is worse matchup than Serbia is.

In 2013-2017 we were in pot 1 by ranking,after bad recent results we slipped to pot 2 before draw and that will always give one powerhouse in the group from pot1.
    I agree about federation part. They had to do everything to agree with Georgia. Hopefully it's the last "favor" of this federation.

Nope, Serbia's group is much weaker. It's basically Italy as opponent (no disrespect to PR). Slovenia with Doncic is surely tougher opponent than Italy. The things is that no-one has an answer for Doncic, he's the best FIBA Euro baller and we'll get our hands full if he's in. It's a sneaky hell for us. If I would have to choose Greece/Turkey vs Slovenia, I would go with the former. I think some people don't understand what we're set for in Kaunas. Off course Canada makes that group the toughest, but when it comes to one game it's Serbia, France, Spain and Doncic ready Slovenia as most annoying Euro teams at the moment (maybe fully packed Latvia would be there as well).

Well, I disagree. I think now Serbia essentially is a brutal opponent for anyone, it's more about them whenever their set of mind is correct and they will unleash Jokic at 5. I know your argument about the size and everything, but it's just crazy how deep Serbia is at the moment, specially with even better Bogdanovic, Micic and coming back Teo. Even Guduric and Nedovic are at Grigonis' level. The thing is that they have not only size, but tremendous skills and IQ with it as well. They are stacked and at the moment more deadly than France. France might be incredible in 4-5 years with tremendous NBA upside and some special pieces (Hayes, Maledon, Wembanyama), but now it's Serbia and they will remain super strong. While Fournier struggles this season a bit, they have much less offense that Serbia at the moment.

At some point we'll have to make push and to regain our positions. Federation hiring Maskoliunas and landing us with Germany surely put us in even shittier situation, hope the madness ends with 2021. This federation should GTFA for good and new real head coach should be hired.

Spain,Turkey,Russia,Belgium,Georgia.

So it is must not to finish 4th in this very strong group and dont need to see Spain already in 1/8.
    Yup. It's Russia/Georgia/Belgium most likely. Would be a spot on opponent for 1/8. Turkey pretty much as well. Important to avoid Spain.

I dont count tallents im talking about playing style.

Serbia trying to bully people at every position and make it wrestling match,our NT how it is built right now thats is not were we are weak

I have seen enough even in good Serbia tournament that good matchup for us,it simply becomes wrestling match with unknown result SRB vs LTU.

With France it simple we lost in 2011,2012,2013,2014 bronze,2019 playoof type game. I saw enough that not good matchup for us.Those jumpers simply outjump us and outrun.

I rather see our NT post up team would play with Serbia wrestling match than once again lose to France were is strugle to score every point.

I dont believe one men can win medals.For me olympic draw is favourable,we already saw in 2017 how our NT did with Greece in playoofs atmosphere game.

I have roster set for 2022 set already as well:

Lekavicius, Jokubaitis, Velicka/Kariniauskas
    Grigonis, R. Giedraitis
    Ulanovas, Kuzminskas
    Sabonis, Sedekerskis, Tubelis
    Valanciunas, Gudaitis

I dont count tallents im talking about playing style.

Serbia trying to bully people at every position and make it wrestling match,our NT how it is built right now thats is not were we are weak

I have seen enough even in good Serbia tournament that good matchup for us,it simply becomes wrestling match with unknown result SRB vs LTU.

With France it simple we lost in 2011,2012,2013,2014 bronze,2019 playoof type game. I saw enough that not good matchup for us.Those jumpers simply outjump us and outrun.

I rather see our NT post up team would play with Serbia wrestling match than once again lose to France were is strugle to score every point.

I dont believe one men can win medals.For me olympic draw is favourable,we already saw in 2017 how our NT did with Greece in playoofs atmosphere game.
    Well you should, IMO. What other big games we had with Serbia? We lost in 2013 and won in 2015. That's all...

On other hand, it was extremely close both 2014 and 2019 against France and now we'll have much better team, IMO (France will grow as well though). Anyway, you got my point.

Yeah, their "jumpers" are pretty bouncy

You can't compare 2017 NT and 2021 NT. In 2017 we didn't have Sabonis, Lekavicius, Grigonis still was still meh...Let alone the fact that Giedraitis, Sedekerskis, Jokubaitis might bring an impact this time as well. We grew more recently than Greece did. More like Greece has been declining.

I dont believe one men can win medals
    That's the biggest problems with Liths. They don't understand that Slovenia actually have quality. Enough to mention Prepelic (Valancia) and Z. Dragic (Baskonia). Match those 2 with by far best guard in Europe and you likely get the best offensive backcourt in Europe. In other positions there's quality as well. It's huge mistake to think Slovenia is completely scrubby team lead by Doncic.

Really bad luck for LTU again. Dont see LTU beating France but Germany as well as Slovenia cant be count as a clear win. Nevertheless would put LTU on 2 or 3. We on the other hand were really lucky. Georgia is not a problem at all, Russia is too old and too weak backcourt shouldnt be a big problem as well. Shortly said if Turkey ends up being second and LTU being third we could really encounter. Would prefer Germany over LTU but LTU is also not bad.

Exclamation

I have roster set for 2022 set already as well:

Lekavicius, Jokubaitis, Velicka/Kariniauskas
    Grigonis, R. Giedraitis
    Ulanovas, Kuzminskas
    Sabonis, Sedekerskis, Tubelis
    Valanciunas, Gudaitis

A pretty bold prediction more than a year in advance. After all, four of those players haven't yet cracked any full summer team and Vaidas Kariniauskas' participation in the 2016 team can be termed "limited" at best. And there's many a slip twixt cup and lip.

Exclamation

I agree about federation part. They had to do everything to agree with Georgia. Hopefully it's the last "favor" of this federation.
    Opting to play in Germany was still the correct decision. After all, a Bronze medal is not the goal. If we want to win the Gold, we're going to have to beat the best teams. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Really bad luck for LTU again. Dont see LTU beating France but Germany as well as Slovenia cant be count as a clear win. Nevertheless would put LTU on 2 or 3. We on the other hand were really lucky. Georgia is not a problem at all, Russia is too old and too weak backcourt shouldnt be a big problem as well. Shortly said if Turkey ends up being second and LTU being third we could really encounter. Would prefer Germany over LTU but LTU is also not bad.
    Just make sure Turkish Larkin wouldn't lose motivation to be Turkish till that tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post

A pretty bold prediction more than a year in advance. After all, four of those players haven't yet cracked any full summer team and Vaidas Kariniauskas' participation in the 2016 team can be termed "limited" at best. And there's many a slip twixt cup and lip.

Not sure what do you mean to be honest. I mean those other pieces that you have in mind.

Opting to play in Germany was still the correct decision. After all, a Bronze medal is not the goal. If we want to win the Gold, we're going to have to beat the best teams. Period.
    Any medal at this point is a goal.

Not sure what do you mean to be honest. I mean those other pieces that you have in mind.
    It's simply way too early to speculate on a 2022 team before we even see how the 2021 team performs. Your projections are out too far.

It's simply way too early to speculate on a 2022 team before we even see how the 2021 team performs. Your projections are out too far.
    Bullseye!
    I say let's wait until the 2021 team plays it's first friendly game before the Kaunas tourney until we make any projections even further into the future lol. I highly doubt 2022 team will be much different from this years squad to begin with imo

The more I think about German NT, the more crazy federations' agreement looks to me. Let's look at this teams depth chart:

NBA players:

PG: Schroder
    SG: Bonga
    SF: Franz Wagner
    PF: Moritz Wagner, Daniel Theis, Ariel Hukporti
    C: Maxi Kleber, Isaiah Hartenstein

Franz Wagner is not yet in the NBA, but he's gonna be lottery pick this summer and should have an instant impact in the NBA, so he'll surely be a piece for Germany in 2022. Hukporti will also be drafted and probably will head straight to the NBA, even him aside there's 7 NBA players.

Let's add Euroleague players to the puzzle

Schroder, Maodo Lo
    Bonga, Dedovic
    Franz Wagner, Paul Zipser
    Moritz Wagner, Daniel Theis, Ariel Hukporti[/B], Danilo Barthel
    Maxi Kleber, Isaiah Hartenstein, Johannes Voigtmann

As usual our current federation is extremely considerative, jumping straight to the team which nearly beat France in FIBA 2019 and beat Canada and this time they are about to have Wagners Bros, Hartensrtein, Bonga and other big players. As usual a shout out for our federation.

Nonetheless the Lithuanian team is 8-0 against Germany over the years versus 1-1 against Georgia and the victory was the nail biter in which Jonas Mačiulis took it upon himself to carry the team to victory by scoring 34 points.

Nonetheless the Lithuanian team is 8-0 against Germany over the years versus 1-1 against Georgia and the victory was the nail biter in which Jonas Mačiulis took it upon himself to carry the team to victory by scoring 34 points.

Georgia is on huge decline compared to these times and Germany is on a huge growth. Lithuania vs Germany will be big clash between 2 powerhouses. We will be favorites, don't get me wrong, but it's fist fight.

Notice how Germany should probably be able to gather all NBA/EL team. That's serious. Essentially, after very very long time (00s), we will have a chance to do it as well in 2022. Even now in 2021 we are close to it if we would consider both Kalnietis and Kuzminskas as EL level players. I have a position that the country where basketball is national sports (the only in Europe) should be able to gather NT which consists only of EL/NBA players. If we can't do that, it's probably a sign of crappy job of federation (previous and current ones). Both in Vilnius and Kaunas I see too little basketball street courts (just to mention one of things that I don't understand), but I see "Krepsinio namai" taking place in the old town of Kaunas. As absolutely basketball crazy nation with deep traditions we shouldn't ever drop lower than top 5 in FIBA rankings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast