USA NT 2021 Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Killer Bob View Post
    My point is that things are changing in basketball. Not only that Giannis, Jokic, Luka, Embiid, Ayton...are all very young, Nba teams never had so many international players in their rosters. I agree that roster wise USA team is still far the best, but players like Lavine, Booker...don't exactly look unbeatable.
    Absolutely. I agree about the changing NBA and the prominence of foreigners and that the US is not unbeatable. But that does not explain 7-3 overall with one 100+ offensive outburst and 12-6 overall record.
    That’s ridiculous.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
      Just to further nullify your argument, try this exercise. Draft every individual player strictly on ability in this tournament. 80% of top 10 is American. Excluding Luka and Gobert. Can argue Rubio. But that’s it.
      Ability of playing good team basketball under Fiba rules? Or ability to win 1:1 game?
      previously known as Beno

Comment

Absolutely. I agree about the changing NBA and the prominence of foreigners and that the US is not unbeatable. But that does not explain 7-3 overall with one 100+ offensive outburst and 12-6 overall record.
        That’s ridiculous.
        I didn't say that Pop isn't partly guilty, but on the other hand, do you believe that Slovenia would have beaten Argentina, if Luka was playing like KD. Would have France beating USA, if Fournier was shooting like shooters from USA? Pop might be wrong coach, but stars should play much better no matter what.
        previously known as Beno

Comment

• I don’t know the rules they were playing for decade pre Popovich and went 88-1.
          Yeah those rules.

Comment

Just to further nullify your argument, try this exercise. Draft every individual player strictly on ability in this tournament. 80% of top 10 is American. Excluding Luka and Gobert. Can argue Rubio. But that’s it.
            Americans here commenting and in podcast too judging fiba game only by nba season.Thats not objective.

In fiba rules,ball,court size,contact allowence is diffrent compared to nba.

Such nba average players like P.Mills,E.Fournier,both Bogdanovich with nt jersey looks like nba all stars tournament after tournament in fiba .There skillsets is better suited in fiba and in most cases played simply better in those tournaments than real nba stars like Jokic or Giannis or Gobert.

Fournier is killing not only Usa he does that to every other NT too same story with P.Mills.

Everybody who follows fiba year after year knows 2 best France players since 2017 in fiba tournaments is Decolo and Fournier not Gobert.

Comment

I didn't say that Pop isn't partly guilty, but on the other hand, do you believe that Slovenia would have beaten Argentina, if Luka was playing like KD. Would have France beating USA, if Fournier was shooting like shooters from USA? Pop might be wrong coach, but stars should play much better no matter what.
              Yes players are to blame as well. They have to overcome the handicap of horrible coaching.
              They have the ability.

Comment

• Gobert was the deciding factor in eliminating the US two years ago.
                And have I missed something ? Have FIBA rules changed since 2019 ? If so which ones ?
                The only change that has led to a 12-6 US record from 88-1 is Popovich not the size of the court.

Comment

Yes players are to blame as well. They have to overcome the handicap of horrible coaching.
                  They have the ability.
                  This argument looks very similar to argument how Sekulic is great coach. In the end is all on players.
                  previously known as Beno

Comment

This argument looks very similar to argument how Sekulic is great coach. In the end is all on players.
                    Nobody believes that more than me. I have always minimized the impact of coaching in basketball when you’re talking about the cream of the crop talent. That’s why NBA coaches are borderline irrelevant. But saying that is one thing, it is completely another when you handicap your team and place obstacles that shouldn’t be there. A horrible coach can effect a team a lot more than a great coach can help a team.

Comment

Nobody believes that more than me. I have always minimized the impact of coaching in basketball when you’re talking about the cream of the crop talent. That’s why NBA coaches are borderline irrelevant. But saying that is one thing, it is completely another when you handicap your team and place obstacles that shouldn’t be there. A horrible coach can effect a team a lot more than a great coach can help a team.
                      Then we basically agree. If Luka can make a joke of a roster scoring 120 points, than KD, Dame, Tatum...should play better than they played against France, no matter what Pop does.
                      previously known as Beno

Comment

Then we basically agree. If Luka can make a joke of a roster scoring 120 points, than KD, Dame, Tatum...should play better than they played against France, no matter what Pop does.
                        Yes. They have to tune him out and basically ignore his directions and use their instincts.
                        But that’s easier said than done. In the NBA when a scenario such as this occurs the players don’t have to put up with it and the coach is history. Here unfortunately that’s not an option. So it will be a unique situation for them.

Comment

• Imagine the Slovenian coach directing Luke not to have the ball in his hands as much. Lower his usage and actually not fully take advantage of his abilities ? Would it be on Luka to obey or do the opposite ? It can get tricky.

Comment

Imagine the Slovenian coach directing Luke not to have the ball in his hands as much. Lower his usage and actually not fully take advantage of his abilities ? Would it be on Luka to obey or do the opposite ? It can get tricky.
                            I have watched both games and Luka looked like MJ in his prime, on the other hand KD&co. looked like rookies in summer league. My wild guess is that Luka with Pop and USA would have destroyed France. The biggest problem for USA is not having real Pg. Put in CP3 or LeBron and we wouldn't have this conversation.
                            previously known as Beno

Comment

• Kevin Durant coming off of a monster playoff series against Milwaukee and a pedigree pretty much unmatched in FIBA play all of a sudden looks lost out there 6 games with Popovich. It’s on him to turn it around but the change is all about Popovich.
                              Durant has to adapt and overcome that loser coach.

Comment

• They didn’t have a true point guard in 2014 or 2016 and it didn’t matter then.Chris Paul was the last true point guard coach K had and that was in ‘12.
                                So I am not buying that. You can look all you want but it all comes back and starts with Popovich.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information