Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: USA NT 2021 Olympics

Great to see at least some of the media is rightfully ripping Popovich and his abysmal performance. The problem is that it should have happened 2 years ago when I was on an island doing it. If it had he would have been replaced and we wouldn’t be in this predicament now.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    His commitment hasn’t been put to the test yet. He hasn’t been passed the first round of the playoffs yet. Let’s see how committed he is for Eurobaskets and World Championships after long grueling playoff runs. I am not saying he won’t but not a sure thing yet.
    Do you understand that Luka has already won Eurobasket, being member of Eurobasket's first team? He was playing 19 months nonstop in Europe before coming in Nba. Something near 170 games without a serious pause. I kinda doubt that rest will be a problem.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Bob View Post
    Do you understand that Luka has already won Eurobasket, being member of Eurobasket's first team? He was playing 19 months nonstop in Europe before coming in Nba. Something near 170 games without a serious pause. I kinda doubt that rest will be a problem.
    And you think as he gets older and puts more miles on the tires that the commitment he showed as a teenager is comparable ?

If I had to bet on it I would predict he would be like most upper echelon international players that play in the NBA when it comes to National team tournaments. Pick and choose their spots. Prioritize Olympics and play in other events less regularly.

And you think as he gets older and puts more miles on the tires that the commitment he showed as a teenager is comparable ?
    He showed a lot of commitment in Lithuania, kinda doubt that his commitment falls in Olympics. He will be in his prime for at least 3 Olympics. Not to mention how much better is he than 4 years ago in Eurobasket. Problem for Slovenia is not Luka but Fiba's qualifications system.
    previously known as Beno

He will be in his prime for at least 3 Olympics. Not to mention how much better is he than 4 years ago in Eurobasket.
    You're dreaming if you think Luka Dončić can stay in his prime nearly that long the way he's going:

He's got to start paying attention to conditioning and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    You're dreaming if you think Luka Dončić can stay in his prime nearly that long the way he's going:

He's got to start paying attention to conditioning and soon.

Till 29? He's not even in his prime.
    previously known as Beno

Great to see at least some of the media is rightfully ripping Popovich and his abysmal performance. The problem is that it should have happened 2 years ago when I was on an island doing it. If it had he would have been replaced and we wouldn’t be in this predicament now.
    Gotta say, not easy to see you in this much turmoil about a coach that has never been as good as he was made out to be

One of the few reasons I even visit interbasket was to look out for posts of guys like you about basketball. You know where I stand on this Popovic thing. That being said, this team has no excuses even with a shitty coach. We are talking about talent everywhere. All-Pros like Durant, Lillard, a bunch of All Stars, so many excellent defensive players like Holiday, Adebayo, Green, Grant, hell even McGee. Anyway, Popovic will be blamed if this fails 100%, which is I think unfair as the players have to share in the blame as well. This is not a bunch of 20year olds in the 80s. The players need to show much more pride and attitude in fighting for that Gold, and so far I have seen shit out of that. Partly blamed on Popovic, but also the overall character of the squad. Durant was never, nor will be a leader. Booker is a kid, Tatum is a mute, Lavine is an airhead.

If they are to come together, it has to be guys like Lillard, Draymond Green, Holiday and Middleton to get them on the same page.

Yeah another thing. If somehow Pop or Kerr got food poisoning, there might be a chance that Jay Wright takes over and he is a coach I really respect and the job he is doing with Villanova

First impressions about Booker?
    He was worth the wait. I've read in the press that he, along with Holiday and Middleton, joined the team 18 hours before the match. I'm surprised they could even play.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    He was worth the wait. I've read in the press that he, along with Holiday and Middleton, joined the team 18 hours before the match. I'm surprised they could even play.
    Jrue looked fine enough. I guess Booker can be game changer against Iran. Do you remember his 70 points game?
    previously known as Beno

Jrue looked fine enough. I guess Booker can be game changer against Iran. Do you remember his 70 points game?
    I don't know much about Iran, but Iran is in trouble.

Your level of sarcasm gets sharper with every post Bob lol

@CoachZ

Good to see you post again. You know how much I value your posts. Obviously the players deserve their fair share of blame.
    But it’s not a coincidence that Kevin Durant was undefeated for a decade and now can barely win a game. Popovich has just destroyed the prestige, confidence and overall mentality of USA basketball. But back to Durant, he is the only true all time great on this roster and his legacy will take the biggest hit along with Popovich if and when they fail. When Duncan in a similar position as Durant lost in ‘04 his reputation was safe because he won 3 NBA titles as the best most important player on his team following his debacle. Durant who already has a checkered legacy due to joining already championship winning teams I order to get his title will not have enough time to rehabilitate his rep.

Glad to see you posting again and hope you stick around after the Olympics are over.

I had a feeling you might reappear after the result against France and Pop quotes like this:

Team USA was defeated in the Olympics for the first time since 2004, however, this shouldn’t be big news anymore according to USA national team coach Gregg Popovich.

“When you lose a game you’re not surprised, you’re disappointed. I don’t understand the word surprise – that sort of disses the French team, so to speak, as if we were supposed to beat them by 30 or something. That’s a hell of a team. They’ve got a great coaching staff, they’ve got NBA players, they’ve got other talented players playing in Europe, they’ve been together for a long time. I don’t know why that would be a surprise. I think that’s a little bit of hubris if you think the Americans are supposed to just roll out the ball and win. I mean, we’ve got to work for it just like everybody else. And for those 40 minutes, they played better than we did. The gap in talent shrinks every year as there are more and more great players all over the world. And you need to give the French team credit for playing well. They were more consistent than we were on both ends of the court. So, it’s as simple as that, “coach Popovich said while explaining why France’s two wins over the USA in the last two games aren’t a surprise.
    https://www.eurohoops.net/en/olympic...ks-every-year/

@Jazz

Thanks bro.
    Coach K would also similarly compliment and build up the opponents. But that was after beating them. This stuff from Popovich got old 2 years ago. And another thing is I can’t prove this but I would bet the farm that behind closed doors to his team Coach K would be singing a different tune. Yeah respect your opponent but at the same time building up his players by reminding his players who they were as well. I just dont see Popovich doing that. He probably has his team brainwashed believing that the opponent are just as good as his own players.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Your level of sarcasm gets sharper with every post Bob lol
    I will take that as compliment, knowing from whom it comes. Tobey says hello.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    I don't know much about Iran, but Iran is in trouble.
    I believe they are.
    previously known as Beno

No surprise just disappointment. What a dick! Some anger and being downright pissed off is necessary. Not surprised ? Should be downright shocked at all the loses you buffoon Popovich. But like I said he’s too busy genuflecting to his opponents and has accepted losing. I remember the scowl on Coach K’s face when the team would struggle during games.
    Popovich gives you nothing. Just excuses and no accountability.

Blowing a 7pt lead with 3 minutes to pay, that’s nothing. Remember 5 point lead with 20 seconds to play in game 6 of the 2013 NBA finals ? LMAO. I’ve been watching the NBA finals since 1983 and that’s the only time a coach actually cost his team a championship.

Of course he was part of 2004 and 2006 teams, which forced USA to take Fiba competitions seriously again.
    Classic Bob right there.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast