Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: USA NT 2021 Olympics

Spain/Slovenia loser 50% shot at getting USA. And winner I think 100% against Germany.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Aside from a rough first quarter they did look good out there. If Durant takes control like he did this game going forward them winning Gold is definitely on the table.

Still despite looking much improved I'm still hoping we land with Italy in the knock out stage rather than the Spain/Slovenia loser.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    101 points in the last three quarters you love to see it. Durant played like Durant! Tatum made some shots! Big step up in competition going forward though. Czechs went as far as their limited talent could take them.

I am gonna disagree with the announcers and take the position that Javale McGee not getting into the game until there were four minutes left and a 30-point lead is a good indication that he will not be playing an important role in the knockout stages.
    I agree with them. Barring severe foul trouble to Bam or Draymond he won’t be in the rotation. And saying the competition is about to go up a few notches is an understatement. And don’t forget the next win against a really quality opponent under Popovich in his two tournaments will be his first. I still have big doubts he can string 3 in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post

Still despite looking much improved I'm still hoping we land with Italy in the knock out stage rather than the Spain/Slovenia loser.
    I disagree completely. That mentality is for teams trying to medal. It’s gold medal or bust so it shouldn’t matter.

These games are way too short to incorporate too many guys. A 9 man rotation historically has been the way to go. And on this roster the top 9 and last 3 are crystal clear. Like I said I love how he has separated Tatum and Durant. Despite Booker’s struggles he belongs in the staring lineup as Levine is much better as an energy guy off the bench. Middleton seems to be the 9th man and his minutes will vary from game to game.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    I disagree completely. That mentality is for teams trying to medal. It’s gold medal or bust so it shouldn’t matter.
    When coach K was heading this team I would have the same mentality, but Pop hasn't installed any confidence in me. Not to disrespect Italy but I'd love one more ramp up game before facing the other medal contenders.

Who knows though, it might be better to get a team the US can't overlook first, just so there's no chance they come out flat.

Things definitely looking up for the US. Maybe some overreaction after the loss against France, of course also because of the friendly games losses.

But if you look at that game against France, arguably the 2nd most talented team in these Olympics, the US were up most of the game (including +7 with 3' to go), even with Durant never getting into a rhythm because of foul trouble and 3 players that arrived in Tokyo a couple of days before. Players are still trying to find their roles within the team (except for Durant, we all know he is the man here) and things can only get better from here on out. I don't think Italy or Slovenia will be a problem, Spain would be a tougher matchup but still a surprise if the US loses.

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Spain/Slovenia loser 50% shot at getting USA. And winner I think 100% against Germany.
    Yes, exactly [edit: Nevermind, it's Germany or Italy]. Loving this format btw, 18 games instead of 30 to qualify the same 8 teams for the knockout stage. Also less opportunities to tank, even though we could be saying the opposite had the US not finish as the best 2nd placed team.
    Last edited by Buzissa; 07-31-2021 at 02:39 PM.
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Enormous pressure in next game considering USA has never lost in the quarterfinals which includes collegians dating back to 776 BC. Usa/NBA teams :

‘92 +38 Puerto Rico
    ‘96 +23 Brazil
    ‘00 +15 Russia
    ‘04 +8 Spain
    ‘08 +31 Australia
    ‘12 +33 Australia
    ‘16 +27 Argentina

101-59 in last 3 quarters after bad start. Play offense like you’re supposed to and no team can keep up. Eventually they get demoralized trying.

I will be rooting for the other 3 quarterfinal favorites to advance as well. Historically I have always rooted for the strongest possible opponents against the USA. I remember being disappointed in 1994 when Croatia lost in the semis and 2000 when Serbia lost to Lithuania in the quarters. Probably subconsciously because I didn’t really view these teams or any others over the years as threats. The only exception I must admit was in 2014 when I rooted against Spain and viewed them as a serious threat.

Shit is about to get real. For some reason I am happier that we ended up with Spain than Slovenia, even though Spain has the big tournament experience, I'd rather play against old guys that we have beaten a bunch of times over the years. As always, if it's a 100-95 game we probably win, an 80-75 game we probably lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

this will be the game that will decide the tournament for muricans - if they somehow excape big experienced FIBA team like Spain, only France will be in their way of claiming gold. I don't think any team playing small ball can beat muricans at their own game, not even under FIBA rules, so Slovenia is already out of the question to beat them (as much as Luka's magic lifts them well above their ceiling). So yeah, do-or-die game for yanks and let's see what Pop is actually made of, coz I know Scariolo will be on his game and with a proper game plan to hit US where it hurts the most

It will be an honor to deliver the death blow to this legendary group of Spaniards. Adiós Rudy, El Chacho, Llull y los hermanos Gasol. Ha sido un placer vencerlos una y otra vez al más alto nivel.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDiesel2 View Post
    It will be an honor to deliver the death blow to this legendary group of Spaniards. Adiós Rudy, El Chacho, Llull y los hermanos Gasol. Ha sido un placer vencerlos una y otra vez al más alto nivel.
    While it's certainly their last Olympics together, I think next years Eurobasket might be their last ride.

Biggest disappointment of this team has been Lillard. Thought he was going to be no. 2 to Durant, possibly with an impact similar to Kyrie's in previous tournaments, but far from it. He is even missing wide open shots atm.

Seems like Pop found his 9-man rotation and players now know where their shots will be coming from. Still they are having irregular performances from their scoring guard trio (LaVine, Lillard, Booker), Middleton has been terrible and don't see what he can bring to the table if he's not hitting his open shots (-14 in 17 minutes today).

The 3 key players on this team are Durant (for obvious reasons) and Holiday/Draymond-Adebayo as defensive anchors. Tatum is providing a spark off the bench, but playing off the ball doesn't really suit his offensive game.

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Shit is about to get real. For some reason I am happier that we ended up with Spain than Slovenia, even though Spain has the big tournament experience, I'd rather play against old guys that we have beaten a bunch of times over the years. As always, if it's a 100-95 game we probably win, an 80-75 game we probably lose.
    Good call. I knew if we pushed it to the 90s or 100s, It'd be checkmate. I think we actually played better in 2021 then we did in 2016...that game had no offensive flow and was marred by bad refereeing. It wasn't a good game to take in.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzissa View Post
    Biggest disappointment of this team has been Lillard. Thought he was going to be no. 2 to Durant, possibly with an impact similar to Kyrie's in previous tournaments, but far from it. He is even missing wide open shots atm.
    i agree i never thought Lillard is so bad in defence this Olympics shown it clearly.White europeran guards beating him 1 vs 1 for easy layups over and over again.

No i understand why Blazers with Lillard,Carmelo,Kanter types is the worst defence on good nba team.

If teams need bucket playing this usa team on usa switch defence : opponnets should attack Lillard. Other 8 usa players from main rotation is alot better in defence some of them elite defenders.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 08-03-2021 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    i agree i never thought Lillard is so bad in defence this Olympics shown it clearly.White europeran guards beating him 1 vs 1 for easy layups over and over again.

No i understand why Blazers with Lillard,Carmelo,Kanter types is the worst defence on good nba team.

If teams need bucket playing this usa team on usa switch defence : opponnets should attack Lillard. Other 8 usa players from main rotation is alot better in defence some of them elite defenders.
    Lillard is the epitome of every casual fan's criticism for Curry. Unlike Curry, he never worked on his weakness. Just a good player on offense but nothing outside of that.

His defense has been matador for years now. If team USA had more talent in the wings for defenders and better rim protection, it wouldn't be as glaring.

As expected Durant alone is a 1000% upgrade over anyone in 2019 circus team.What wasn't expected was that Lillard would be so bad.Also i understand small ball is the name of the game in NBA in the last years but in FIBA you got to have some size,god damn it.Gasol brothers corpses are too washed up to punish USA inside but watching Hernagomez look like a mix of Chamberlain and Hakeem in the second quarter was no fun.The good news is that no team except France has the players to punish this lack of size.France remains the worst match up,every other team is beatable.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast