2021 Olympic qualifying tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackie Reaper View Post
    I was wondering why Jordan was by-passed by FIBA as the next best team? Jordan outranked Philippines in 2019.
    Rankings, overall performance from.past tournaments
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Cocoy Martin
      This is a big deal so I’m sure the PBA teams will be all out here
      Apparently, Ross wants it also: https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/c...for-oqt/202266

Comment

it would be fun if the upcoming PBA season will be similar to the 2002 season, 2 national teams (Selecta and Hapee) and two imports for PBA teams. Maybe this time, 1 cadet team with Kouame and 1 all pba national team should compete, pba teams to be compensated by an additional import.

though this setup could be ugly. If ever the PBA wants to go all put, for god sakes give them a month or two to train, not 2 weeks

Comment

This is great news for Gilas, but realistically not winnable imo considering that only 1 out of 6 NTs in the group will advance to the Olympics. Better to let the cadets play on this one. This would be tremendous experience, a real test to the mettle of our Gilas boys.

Comment

“Each team should get an import and Gilas competes in the PBA as a build-up for the tournament,” opined Ross.

I think this is a good idea tbh. The team really needs to play games to shake off some rust and build chemistry. PBA games is better than no games at all.

Comment

The NBA playoffs begins in May 22 while the OQT will be at June 29. I don't think we'll get Clarkson if the Jazz makes it to the 2nd round

Comment

Originally posted by Jupitersa View Post
                The NBA playoffs begins in May 22 while the OQT will be at June 29. I don't think we'll get Clarkson if the Jazz makes it to the 2nd round
                as early as Oct 2020 Com. Adam Silver already doubted that NBA players will be able to participate in the 2021 Olympics, which is also the case with the OQT as it coincides with the NBA playoffs

on the bright side, no Jokic for Serbia

The NBA expects the 2020/21 season to start in January at the earliest, the league's players would likely not participate in the 2021 Olympics.

“I think it’s unlikely, at the end of the day, that, if we start late, we would stop for the Olympics,” Silver said. “Because, as you know, it’s not just a function of stopping for the period in which they are competing over in Tokyo. But they require training camp, and then they require rest afterwards.”

Comment

Really refreshing sight to not see any fantasy lineups for Gilas on this thread hehe for a change

Comment

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/...210226-fbfirst

SBP to meet PBA on Gilas formation for OQT, hopes for Kouame availability
                    by GERRY RAMOS
                    1 HOUR AGO

THE Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) plans to sit down with the PBA hierarchy to map out plans on how to form and train a Gilas Pilipinas team that was just given the green light to compete in the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

At the same time, the cage body hopes Ange Kouame’s naturalization papers will finally be completed by the time the qualifier in Belgrade is held from June 29 to July 4.

“We will be coordinating with the PBA to plot our plans moving forward. And we’re hopeful that Ange Kouame’s naturalization will be signed into law by then to give Gilas Pilipinas men that added boost it needs to be more competitive,” said SBP President Al S. Panlilio.

On Friday night, FIBA announced the Philippines has been given a slot for the Serbia qualifier after the last-minute pull-out of New Zealand in the six-day meet.

The country was selected based on being the next best ranked team from the Asia-Oceania region that hasn’t booked a berth in the Olympics yet.

Nonetheless, the SBP welcomed the latest development after likewise competing in a same Olympic Qualifying meet hosted by the country in 2016 for the Rio De Janeiro Games.

“This is truly a welcome development and we’re very happy that Gilas Pilipinas will be given a chance to compete for a spot in the Olympics,” said Panlilio.

“Our Chairman Emeritus had a conversation with Andreas Zagklis, secretary general of FIBA, who informed him of the development and MVP was very pleased with the news.”

Serbia will be hosting Group A in Belgrade along with the Philippines and the Dominican Republic from June 29 to July 1.

Meanwhile, bunched in Group B are Italy, Puerto Rico, and Senegal.

The top two teams in each group will then meet in a crossover semifinals, and the two surviving teams clashing in a one-game final for a berth in the Tokyo Olympics.

Aside from Belgrade, three other Olympic qualifiers will be held during that same stretch in Kaunas, Lithuania, Victoria, Canada, and Split, Croatia.

Comment

Since this is the OQT, will PBA offer the top tier players? I am hoping Japeth changes is mind.

Comment

Congrats, nice to see you back to international scene

What about naturalized player you'll field for this event? I guess Blatche era is over, right? I see you are trying to get Kouame a passport, is he a possible replacement for Andray?

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                          Congrats, nice to see you back to international scene

What about naturalized player you'll field for this event? I guess Blatche era is over, right? I see you are trying to get Kouame a passport, is he a possible replacement for Andray?
                          thank you.

blatche era is done.. thankful for his service (good and bad). yeah kouame is our replacement for blatche.. almost done with naturalization for kouame. he’s 6’10 and young.. he lived in RP since he was 16..
                          Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
                            Really refreshing sight to not see any fantasy lineups for Gilas on this thread hehe for a change
                            Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
                            Since this is the OQT, will PBA offer the top tier players? I am hoping Japeth changes is mind.
                            the one in the bubble.. just replace some players like soyud and chua.. invite erram and almazan or JF if he’s fully recovered plus BRP jr. invite the party guy paras as well and thirdy and that’s your pool for OQT..

if SMB only wants to lend one player then get cj perez..

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                              the one in the bubble.. just replace some players like soyud and chua.. invite erram and almazan or JF if he’s fully recovered plus BRP jr. invite the party guy paras as well and thirdy and that’s your pool for OQT..

if SMB only wants to lend one player then get cj perez..
                              Hopefully BRP's interest in Gilas is same as Kiefer ( we all know sinusuka na nga halos ng iba, nagvovolunteer pa rin mag gilas, mas lalao na ngayun)

And will Chot butt in saying you want to borrow my satrting 5, I should be part of your coaching staff Tab..

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
                                Hopefully BRP's interest in Gilas is same as Kiefer ( we all know sinusuka na nga halos ng iba, nagvovolunteer pa rin mag gilas, mas lalao na ngayun)

And will Chot butt in saying you want to borrow my satrting 5, I should be part of your coaching staff Tab..
                                chot should stay away with this..

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information