2021 Olympic qualifying tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tomcat View Post
    What long ago? Angelo just started to play 5x5 basketball when he was 19 years old(2017), his first international tournament was the 2018 William Jones Cup playing for the Ateneo Blue Eagles(redshirt freshman) when he was 20 years old and I can say that he did okay battling against veteran international bigmen. After that he played for two years in the UAAP(2018 and 2019) and no more international tournament for the Ateneo Blue Eagles after the 2018 William Jones Cup. All I can say is that he is late-bloomer in basketball and he has the physical attributes and still improving modern day bigman’s skills to play in NBA maybe at 25 or 26 years old(2023 or 2024)..
    There is no denying that Kouame has steadily improved over the years and I do not wish to take away from any of his accomplishments that he as achieved so far over his career. However, you are jumping the gun when you say that he may interest NBA scouts when your assessment is based on how he has played in the Philippines at the university level. He main strength is being dominant in the paint but when you consider the physical attributes of Filipino players in the UAAP, compared to Kouame, then its understandable why is so dominant. The same can be said of the many African players playing for college teams in the Philippines all the way back to the time of Sam Ekwe.

Dominance at the college level in the Philippines doesn't necessarily equate to being ready for the NBA or even at the international level. Just look at the players who have recently dominated the UAAP and went overseas after college. Ray Parks Jr and the Ravena brothers were the best players in the UAAP during their respective runs but have found very little success so far overseas. What makes Kouame stand out in the Philippines; his height, strength and athleticism can be found in abundance in American players. Unless Kouame does well at the highest level of international competition (Olympics or WC) then his chances of getting any meaningful interest from NBA scouts is minimal.
    Last edited by b@tu; 02-28-2021, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Labradoodle View Post
      We were actually supposed to face a Tyler Lamb led Thailand (that gave Korea a close game) at that time which is why the coaches included a LOT of key PBA players. It just got cancelled and we instead faced a Tyler-less Thailand in the second window twice.

2017 Southeast Asian Games

Thailand 74–81 Philippines (Cadet Players)

2019 Southeast Asian Games

Thailand 81–115 Philippines (PBA Players)

Lamb was present on both those Thai teams and yet they still lost. I don't think even the inclusion of Tyler Lamb in the first window would not necessitate the coaches to panic and ask for "lots of key PBA players." Lamb is a very good player but he is, still, just one player. The fact that a cadet team was able to beat a Lamb led team at the 2017 Sea games means that it wasn't necessary to bring the big guns out just yet.

Comment

• I dont see how Kuoame cant replicate/surpass this:

Former Lyceum of the Philippines University foreign student-athlete Victor Nguidjol was drafted by San Antonio Spurs-affiliate Austin Spurs last November 1, 2015 (Philippine time) in the NBA D-League draft. The 21 year old Cameroonian only played in four games for Austin going scoreless in all four of his outings. However, the San Antonio Spurs have […]

All he needs are the right scouts to love him.

Comment

• A hybrid of Cadets and PBA will be a better option. What is lacking by the Cadets should be filled by the PBA.

For instance, Cadets will have Navarro, Oftana, Javi Gomez de Liaño, Dwight Ramos, Baltazar, Kai and Kouame, PBA should fill it with Kiefer, Parks, Pogoy, Troy, and Perez. That is just my thought. Fill and fill the spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by b@tu View Post

Lamb was present on both those Thai teams and yet they still lost. I don't think even the inclusion of Tyler Lamb in the first window would not necessitate the coaches to panic and ask for "lots of key PBA players." Lamb is a very good player but he is, still, just one player. The fact that a cadet team was able to beat a Lamb led team at the 2017 Sea games means that it wasn't necessary to bring the big guns out just yet.
            I looked it up. Rosario, Standhardinger, Parks and Ravena were the top scorers. Those top 4 players are actually now, possibly except Ravena, top PBA players. And this was pre-dust issue Ravena, who was pretty good. If Lamb was there last year then game 2 would have probably been competitive.

Comment

74 and 81 is actually a close-ish game. Thailand even gave Korea a scare in the first window.

The 2019 SEA games, of course, is all PBA...of your you expect tambak. But a Tyler Lamb led team versus amateurs without any PBA player can lead to an upset.

Comment

• If I were PBA and the team owners, I will give the players Tab requests and give them 30 days. I'm worried that there is no news yet of them setting a meeting. Then again they probably are already having unofficial talks.

We might not be as high ranked as in the previous OQT but we deserve the slot being the next best Asian team based on our recent performance.

Comment

• It doesn't matter if we lose any games. One thing is for sure is that we are guaranteed in the WC2023, and even if we bring the strongest lineup in the OQT, we are still far away from really contending for a spot in the Olympics. With that, we should have a clearer objective of preparing the young ones for the 2023WC. Thus this, to my mind, should include exposing them to a very high level of competition right now. And that would be the OQT.

We will be wasting time and strategy if we try to go full force or hybrid stuff. IMHO, put a team from a pool of players that are seriously considered for the 2023 WC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
                    I dont see how Kuoame cant replicate/surpass this:

Former Lyceum of the Philippines University foreign student-athlete Victor Nguidjol was drafted by San Antonio Spurs-affiliate Austin Spurs last November 1, 2015 (Philippine time) in the NBA D-League draft. The 21 year old Cameroonian only played in four games for Austin going scoreless in all four of his outings. However, the San Antonio Spurs have […]

All he needs are the right scouts to love him.
                    Where is he now??

Kuoame could probably make the G League but how well he will perform there is another question.

Comment

• No Kiefer please for the love of god

Comment

Where is he now??

Kuoame could probably make the G League but how well he will perform there is another question.
                        No idea. Not from Lyceum.

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
                          I looked it up. Rosario, Standhardinger, Parks and Ravena were the top scorers. Those top 4 players are actually now, possibly except Ravena, top PBA players. And this was pre-dust issue Ravena, who was pretty good. If Lamb was there last year then game 2 would have probably been competitive.
                          Originally posted by Labradoodle View Post
                          74 and 81 is actually a close-ish game. Thailand even gave Korea a scare in the first window.

The 2019 SEA games, of course, is all PBA...of your you expect tambak. But a Tyler Lamb led team versus amateurs without any PBA player can lead to an upset.

Thirdy, JGDL, Dwight and Matt Nieto were also on the Gilas team that played in the first window. Those 4 will very likely be future stars in the PBA or in other leagues.

74 and 81 is a close game but what do you expect? To have a blowout every game? You learn more from close games than blowouts. Thailand having a close game against Korea was unexpected but not impossible. Even Japan was able to beat Australia in 2018.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogaflame View Post
                            If Karl anthony towns plays for Dominican Republic then we will surely be in trouble, but it will be a good exposure and challenge to our team especially Kai sotto. Even Hortford if he plays for Dominican Republic, even at his age, it will still be difficult to beat. Still beatable since basketball is a team sports especially if our team is well coach by Coach Tab system. Let us hope that our fil ams like Pringle, Standhinger and Clarkson can be considered as local, they can also be a big help.
                            most likely KAT won’t play for DR. he’s been thru a lot since last year.. he needs a rest after this NBA season..

like i said few pages back, the one in calambubble plus some changes will do.. replace soyud and chua with erram and almazan plus add BRP jr., Kobe and thirdy ravena. and that’s your pool for OQT..

i will not include JF as we don’t know if he’ll be the same as the injury is much worse than PG13.. ..

let’s not bother kabayan clarkson as he’s in the playoffs around the preparation period.. around 2023 that’s the time we can line up kabayan clarkson..
                            Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                              most likely KAT won’t play for DR. he’s been thru a lot since last year.. he needs a rest after this NBA season..

like i said few pages back, the one in calambubble plus some changes will do.. replace soyud and chua with erram and almazan plus add BRP jr., Kobe and thirdy ravena. and that’s your pool for OQT..

i will not include JF as we don’t know if he’ll be the same as the injury is much worse than PG13.. ..

let’s not bother kabayan clarkson as he’s in the playoffs around the preparation period.. around 2023 that’s the time we can line up kabayan clarkson..
                              First time I heard of this. Why do you say JF's injury is worse than PG13s? I mean, I think he will have a harder time recovering because of his weight, position and playing style compared to George. But what do you know of the injury?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaVi View Post
                                It doesn't matter if we lose any games. One thing is for sure is that we are guaranteed in the WC2023, and even if we bring the strongest lineup in the OQT, we are still far away from really contending for a spot in the Olympics. With that, we should have a clearer objective of preparing the young ones for the 2023WC. Thus this, to my mind, should include exposing them to a very high level of competition right now. And that would be the OQT.

We will be wasting time and strategy if we try to go full force or hybrid stuff. IMHO, put a team from a pool of players that are seriously considered for the 2023 WC.
                                So you want to send a young team to the OQT which will get utterly demolished? How many of the current cadets do you think will make the final roster for 2023? The current cadet team is also severely undersized. There is a reason why NT's are almost always comprised of pro players. As good as college stars are, its not until you get to the pros that you can see who the elite ones are.

With some NBA stars still busy with the playoffs or maybe unwilling to play at the OQT, the Philippines has a better chance of winning a game against the Dominican Republic or even against Serbia.

2, 3 or 4 games is not going to make a whole world of difference if your intention is to let the cadets experience and learn from high level competition.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information