Page 74 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 3021

Thread: 2021 Olympic qualifying tournament

I'm smelling a Kai-Lebron fandom war brewing...

Quote Originally Posted by Labradoodle View Post
    Why does it have to be one player over the other? There is no reason for this, especially, if you consider that basketball is (and should be) a team sport. Each one is special in his own right. The success of each player is not mutually exclusive. We can celebrate the successful careers of both players, can't we?

There is absolutely no need to attack one player to heap praise on the other. This is the very definition of "crab mentality."

I support both Kai Sotto and Lebron Lopez and I am just happy that both play for Gilas.

Quote Originally Posted by art00 View Post
    Why does it have to be one player over the other? There is no reason for this, especially, if you consider that basketball is (and should be) a team sport. Each one is special in his own right. The success of each player is not mutually exclusive. We can celebrate the successful careers of both players, can't we?

There is absolutely no need to attack one player to heap praise on the other. This is the very definition of "crab mentality."

I support both Kai Sotto and Lebron Lopez and I am just happy that both play for Gilas.
    The "superstar" fan mentality carried over from the NBA. That's why we still have GOAT debates between MJ, Kobe, and Lebron in 2021. As my favorite e-sports analyst said it, "Fans don't actually care who is the best. They just want something or someone to talk shit about."
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by art00 View Post

True. This is the same mentality that PBA fans showed when the SBP chose the naturalization of Kouame over the SMC imports like McCollough and Brownlee.

Akala mo naman exhibition game ang pupuntahan ng Gilas sa 2023

I am not trying to degrade or malign Lebron. I am just stating facts on how I see it. I have been following his IG and he mostly post about dunks. I was commenting to his post that he needs to focus on his handles and shooting touch ever since.

He was not included in that Korean game most likely because he would be lost against a very intelligent and disciplined offense. His role as an SF or SG would be so crucial on both ends. I don't see him as unstoppable scorer because of his mediocre handles and unreliable 3point touch. He could be the 11 or 12th man but it might take him a while to really be decent. I think Dave I would be more useful as an SG. SG were expected to really contribute and SF should really defend. He would be like Japeth that was a lot of times look lost in the scheme of things on both ends.

First agenda for LL would be that he polish his deficiencies, his play would gradually mature as long as he is with Tab. If he want to excel in the US, he should offer more than just athleticism. US bball put premium on athleticism and elite skills.
    Last edited by PeeZones; 06-28-2021 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    The "superstar" fan mentality carried over from the NBA. That's why we still have GOAT debates between MJ, Kobe, and Lebron in 2021. As my favorite e-sports analyst said it, "Fans don't actually care who is the best. They just want something or someone to talk shit about."

That's nothing new since the days' of the legend Caloy Loyzag,Larry Mumar Sr,even on the early days of the PBA the Big J,over Atoy Co,etc,its part of the culture of basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeZones View Post
    I am not trying to degrade or malign Lebron. I am just stating facts on how I see it. I have been following his IG and his mostly posting about dunks. I was commenting to his post that he needs to focus on his handles and shooting touch ever since.

He was not included in that Korean game most likely because he would be lost against a very intelligent and disciplined offense. His role as an SF or SG would be so crucial on both ends. I don't see him as unstoppable scorer because of his mediocre handles and unreliable 3point touch. He could be the 11 or 12th man but it might take him a while to really be decent. I think Dave I would be more useful as an SG. SG were expected to really contribute and SF should really defend. He would be like Japeth that was a lot of times look lost in the scheme of things on both ends.

First agenda for LL would be that he polish his deficiencies, his play would gradually mature as long as he is with Tab. If he want to excel in the US, he should offer more than just athleticism. US bball put premium on athleticism and elite skills.

In my opinion,I would put him behind Kobe P,for now if Kobe comes back for the FIBA Asia Cup.Kobe have a much improve handles and his 3pt.shot had improved and he's also Mr.Excitement too.

Quote Originally Posted by ARMIR View Post
    In my opinion,I would put him behind Kobe P,for now if Kobe comes back for the FIBA Asia Cup.Kobe have a much improve handles and his 3pt.shot had improved and he's also Mr.Excitement too.
    Yes, Kobe is still way ahead of Lebron and somehow Kobe is not really sought by Tab. Kobe is also having a hard time fitting in Tab's coaching ways. I do like bought of them. I think around 25yrs old both their games would mature and would be more stable. They need cerebral and systematic coaches. If they end up with ISO coaches, they wont progress in terms of Bball IQ.

Hopefully, Lebron would grow to 6'7 to 6'9. That way he will be too indispensable despite his deficiencies.

If i were his parents, he needs an individual skills trainer. He should focus on his dribbling and shooting. Then he should watch tapes of intelligent players, stop focusing on dunks because it wont be enough.
    Kobe Paras could only go too far with his sheer athleticism & spectacular dunks. That is why he had to go back to the US & avail of sophisticated skills training which will address his shortcomings in ball handling, shooting & other facets of the game. And good thing Kobe realized the need to improve on those aspects. I couldn't be happier with Kobe's decision to train in the US this year
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Yes, Kobe is still way ahead of Lebron and somehow Kobe is not really sought by Tab. Kobe is also having a hard time fitting in Tab's coaching ways. I do like bought of them. I think around 25yrs old both their games would mature and would be more stable. They need cerebral and systematic coaches. If they end up with ISO coaches, they wont progress in terms of Bball IQ.

Hopefully, Lebron would grow to 6'7 to 6'9. That way he will be too indispensable despite his deficiencies.
    Kobe being ahead of Lopez as of now is mainly becoz of age as the former is 5 years older than the latter. But we can't tell as of now how good (or bad) Lopez would be 4 to 5 years from now.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

But I do agree that Lebron needs to go overseas to improve his skills and have better opponents,that would test his skills game in,game out and I would say he has a potential to be an all around skills guy,a go to guy in the last minute,if ever they need a hero ball and be Mr Excitement on the team,there I'm the first one to call him "Mr Excitement" as a moniker,cause to me everytime he's on the floor he provide that kind of energy.

DR is actually similar in talent to the NZ 2016 OQT team, but the difference i think is chemistry and cohesion NZ was a well oiled team and well prepared. I'm not sure DR has the same prep and cohesion .
    Last edited by DAdmiral; 06-28-2021 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    DR is actually similar in talent to the NZ 2016 OQT team, but the difference i think is chemistry and cohesion NZ was a well oiled team and well prepared. I'm not sure DR has the same prep and cohesion .
    Watched Lithuania-DR game, one thing noticeable about DR is that when their plays are not executed as planned, they will just resort to isoball. I love their pick and roll by the way.

DR style is very Latin American. Similar to how Venezuela, Colombia and Chile play
    Last edited by Labradoodle; 06-29-2021 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrenzo View Post
    One thing is for sure, Serbia will do its homework on Gilas. I mean, in the last world cup, even if Serbia knew they would win against Gilas, weren't there stories of players seeing Serbia in the hotel lobby seriously reviewing notes about Gilas?
    for sure they will do their standard scouting and thats just normal preparation. but saying serbia is trying to be "competitive" against gilas. thats just fucked up. thats a good joke right there.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    hope they only have 1 day of prep.. hahaha..
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Senegal is withdrawing from the OQT because 4 of their players were tested positive from COVID-19. This unfortunate event makes Italy and Puerto Rico qualify in the next round.

Senegal withdraws their participation due to 4 players are Covid positive.. I hope it will not burst out to other teams and continue the games...

Quote Originally Posted by Labradoodle View Post
    This is the result of the insufficient information dissemination by SBP. FIBA or Serbia allowed only a 20-man delegation. Compared to the 25-man delegation in the Clark Window 3 bubble. If you remember, SBP wanted to send at least 13 players to Serbia but was cut down to 12. It also resulted to the big man coach of Gilas and maybe other staff too not joining them in Serbia.

Page 74 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast