Future Guards of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dotch View Post
    Teodosic for me as well. but Milos game didnt translate well in the NBA. or maybe Doc Rivers really didnt know how to use him.
    Doc was using him more than facu was, its just that dic force to bench him due to inability to play defense and his injuries
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Wow. I am glad this thread is healthy.

Maybe because Dalph is not an Nba prospect. (Maybe in the future? hmmm, VERY TOUGH)

Anyway, I really want Dalph to be oir Starting PG just because of European and American league experience

Comment

Dalph Panopio Southplains College Stats

1. 8pts, 1reb, 1ast

2. 18pts, 2 reb, 3ast

3. 0 pts,1 reb, 0 ast (Limited mins because blowout)

4. 3pts, 2reb, 1ast

5. 11pts, 4reb, 2ast

6. 11 pts, 3reb, 7ast

7.16 pts, 2rebs, 2ast

8.4pts, 0reb, 3ast

9. 8pts, 2rebs, 3ast

SPC is a powerhouse team in NJCAA. Sometimes Dalph have limited minutes despite him being a starter

Hope, he can be more solid in US NCAA next season

Comment

Originally posted by Cocoy Martin
          Milos needs major minutes to make his impact felt, he's not a player that plays well with limited minutes since he's more of a "heady" point guard. Most European PGs struggle in the NBA because they need to prove themselves first to their teamates, they struggle in running plays because at the start their more experienced American teamates don't trust then or worst resent that some foreigner comes in to tell them what to do on the court.

Juan Carlos Navarro also comes to mind as another Euroleague superstar who's game didn't translate in the NBA.
          Navarro was decent. He could have had a bigger impact had he stayed in the NBA. Spanoulis was the bigger bust IMO

Comment

Originally posted by zairex View Post
            If our suggestion of getting 6'3 and taller players and forcing them to play PG is logical then why Coach Tab has;t done that. Why he still rely on short PGs. He can train any Ateneo players in HS to play PG. Why doesn't SMC develop taller PGs when they control Letran HS and College team. Why are they not doing it? Why Danding doesn't develop taller players to play guards in La Salle when he saw the importance of it with Jeff Moore and Chip.
            I'm actually fine with 6'1"-6'3" players playing off-guard. A player 6'3" or under can ideally play either guard position, of course better if both.

About Tab getting short PG's like Asistio and Tio, well, his taller players are ill-equipped to play the position. Thing is, PG development among our 6-footers has to start in the grassroots levels. Most are already trained to be off-guards.

Comment

Originally posted by IPC View Post
              I'm actually fine with 6'1"-6'3" players playing off-guard. A player 6'3" or under can ideally play either guard position, of course better if both.

About Tab getting short PG's like Asistio and Tio, well, his taller players are ill-equipped to play the position. Thing is, PG development among our 6-footers has to start in the grassroots levels. Most are already trained to be off-guards.
              Maybe some players are better at PG than others inspite their size. I mean Coach Tab can train elementary students because Ateneo has basketball leagues even for 10 years old and below. Why does he train a tall elementary school student to be a PG? So when he goes to HS and College he is a capable PG. Why doesn't this happen to SMC or MVP school teams?

Comment

Originally posted by IPC View Post

Well Ateneo, La Salle, and other bigs schools have elementary Basketball tournaments like Milo Passarelle. Which have 12 and under squads. I mean that is a grassroots program by SBP.

Comment

For me. It depends.

5'8-5'11 Are Point Guards. They have no choice. But to play that. Thet cannot move up their position because thely lack height and size. So, they have speed.

But In Fiba World, those guards are undersized.

Thats why I also want for our Guards to be taller.

We will all love to have 6'4-6'6 PG.

Unfortunately, most of them are Overseas Based. Statham, Heading, Briones.

But I also get your point about skills.

If a player have the talent of CP3, or maybe JJ barea to be more realistic, I will forget about height. He will play for National team.

But if he is not exceptional, he will be a liability really.

Anyway, As far as I know, We don't have 5'11 Below PG in the gilas pool right,?

Comment

Maybe some players are better at PG than others inspite their size. I mean Coach Tab can train elementary students because Ateneo has basketball leagues even for 10 years old and below. Why does he train a tall elementary school student to be a PG? So when he goes to HS and College he is a capable PG. Why doesn't this happen to SMC or MVP school teams?
                    Don't you want us to have and develop Tall PG?

But yeah. If nly we can teach Tall Players all skills in their youth. We can better know what position he is capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                      Don't you want us to have and develop Tall PG?

But yeah. If nly we can teach Tall Players all skills in their youth. We can better know what position he is capable of.
                      I prefer a 6'5" J.Castro with all the attributes and mentality intact against what we have.

But I am old and saw so many taller point guards than average in PBA like Leo Isaac., Gherome Ejercito, Eugene Tan, Ordonio, Xavi Nunag, Jason Webb, etc. None of then came close to be the top point guard or atleast be Boybits Victoria level.

Inspite having small PG, we had good international success as long as we have ample preparation.

Comment

I prefer a 6'5" J.Castro with all the attributes and mentality intact against what we have.

But I am old and saw so many taller point guards than average in PBA like Leo Isaac., Gherome Ejercito, Eugene Tan, Ordonio, Xavi Nunag, Jason Webb, etc. None of then came close to be the top point guard or atleast be Boybits Victoria level.

Inspite having small PG, we had good international success as long as we have ample preparation.
                        I believe 6'5 Castro will be a rotational Nba Player. Maybe Starter in a weak nba team.

Well, fair. Usually, our small pg is usually more skilled than our tall pg.

But thats the point, we hope our taller PG to be more skilled. That will be a dream come true

Comment

Is Malik Olafieye really eligible for Gilas. If yes and he plays for us then he is our top youth guard prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
                            Is Malik Olafieye really eligible for Gilas. If yes and he plays for us then he is our top youth guard prospect.
                            I
                            I dont think he is eligible really

Hope he is. But high chance he is not

Comment

6-foot-5 version of Jayson Castro is almost "suntok sa buwan". I think a 6-foot-3 & above point guard with the skill level of a Johnny Abarrientos or Jayson Castro is a type of player that would be born & trained abroad. I don't think we could produce that kind of talent here in our home soil.

I say a more realistic goal is producing a 5-foot-11 & above versions of Johnny Abarrientos, Jimmy Alapag & Jayson Castro.
                              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                                6-foot-5 version of Jayson Castro is almost "suntok sa buwan".
                                6'5" jason castro is john wall with a reliable 3pt shot lol. if you add 6+" to our top guards/forwards they'd be nba players

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information