Future Guards of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Guards of Philippine Basketball

Now, that we have Wings and Bigs thread. I feel there is a need to create a Guards thread.

We used to be abundant in this position. But now, looks like it is not the same.

When I create a dream Gilas Lineup.

When I think of Bigs. Oh, Easy, Kai, AJ, JMF, Baltazar

When I think of Wings, Oh Dwight, Kobe, Javi, Dave.Wright, Pogoy, etc.

Now for the Guards or Point Guards to be specific. I am really having a hard time. Dalph, maybe. Kiefer? 1GDL??

And we have the argument of "Tall decent Guards" Vs Small but "Talented Guards"

Also, "Scoring Point Guards" VS "Playmaker Point Guards"

The table have turned now.

Originally posted by Cocoy Martin
    If you look at the US Dream Team Blue Print they usually have 2 PGs in a team for international competitions, in some rare instances they will have 3 though one of those PGs also has the size and skill to play SG

Visible future PGs for the Phils are Bolick, Ravena, Panopio and 1GDL ... in that order (IMHO)

One true PG is enough,the other one should be a combo guard,you cannot have way too many shooters,just in case a couple of those guys have an off night or gone cold during the game.

Comment

If you look at the US Dream Team Blue Print they usually have 2 PGs in a team for international competitions, in some rare instances they will have 3 though one of those PGs also has the size and skill to play SG

Visible future PGs for the Phils are Bolick, Ravena, Panopio and 1GDL ... in that order (IMHO)
      We have the same list except I'd put Juan over Panopio and add also Matt as he's been with Tab the longest.

Comment

Next in line that arent with the Cadets are Belangel and Nelle. Then there is Koon who needs to be Jawato'd.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
          Next in line that arent with the Cadets are Belangel and Nelle. Then there is Koon who needs to be Jawato'd.
          But fiba already declined koons eligibility.

Maybe in future, it can be lifted?

Comment

Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
            But fiba already declined koons eligibility.

Maybe in future, it can be lifted?
            FIBA didnt decline, SBP chose not to line him up, which begs the question why was he even there?

Comment

I say RJ Abarrientos, if he learns to tame his individualistic approach & plays a more team-oriented game (playing with prudence & court savvy), will have more potential as National team point guard than Kiefer, Panopio, & 1GDL.

This kid is very skilled.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Juan GDL (UP)
                Fran Yu (LETRAN)
                SJ Belangel (ADMU)
                Mark Nonoy (DLSU)

Comment

How tall is he? Isn't he just 5'9 or 5'10? I also saw a video of a game between Letran Team B and FEU Team B back in 2019 and he (Abarrientos) had a hard time against ex-Squire now trainer Jolo Tamayo.
                  He's around 5-foot-11. Well, maybe in the game you saw, Abarrientos just had an off-night.

To give you some glimpse of his game (of course this is just a highlight & a tiny sample size & its just a 3x3 game), watch this Asian 3x3 game from a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87FfS-LgMU

In terms of pure skills, this kid is up there. But of course it takes more than just pure skills to succeed.
                  "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Originally posted by TheNatural7
                    SJ Belangel is going to be really really good. He's a bit more score first than even Juan, but he's going to be great.
                    Not that quick & athletic though. Belangel is just like Matt Nietto in terms of quickness & athleticism, though the former is the better scorer. Belangel's edge over the other guards is his familiarity with coach Tab's system.

I like to try Evan Nelle as well for the cadets.

Comment

Louelle Jay Gonzales, better known as LJay..

Last edited by tomcat; 02-24-2021, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                        Not that quick & athletic though. Belangel is just like Matt Nietto in terms of quickness & athleticism, though the former is the better scorer. Belangel's edge over the other guards is his familiarity with coach Tab's system.

I like to try Evan Nelle as well for the cadets.
                        lol i disagree. belanjel is way better than nieto. a 6'1 pg who can shoot i cant wait for him to join gilas soon.
                        i think belanjel is better than nelle. hope we can see them play soon to see.
                        The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

How about Briones and Eusebio? Are they still with UP? Those guys have size and good ball handling skills even if Eusebio is more of a slasher type of player, Briones meanwhile played the point in HS in the US.
                          Eusebio's still in UP. Briones, on the other hand, is not, at least not that I've heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                            lol i disagree. belanjel is way better than nieto. a 6'1 pg who can shoot i cant wait for him to join gilas soon.
                            i think belanjel is better than nelle. hope we can see them play soon to see.
                            Didn't the comparison I made between Matt Nietto & Belangel is only in terms of quickness & athleticism & that I said Belangel being the better scorer?

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                              Didn't the comparison I made between Matt Nietto & Belangel is only in terms of quickness & athleticism & that I said Belangel being the better scorer?
                              I’d also add one difference between Matt and Belanger is their body types, Belangel has a good frame and seems naturally built and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information