No announcement yet.

Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “I’ve already gotten several Summer League invites for him but Kai decided to play for the Philippine National Team,” said Bell.

“I also want to clarify that no decision has been made about me not playing in the summer league. My agent misspoke.-Kai Sotto

link: https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/k...-offers/243639

Kai needs a better agent, tsktsk

Comment

• ^
      You are actually right , the 1st bad move was instead of going to Europe or NBL out of high school, he went to the US and signed a pro contract with Ignite (touch move, it made him automatically eligible, no choice).
      If he went to a overseas pro league directly from a Philippine high school. He would have been classified as an international prospect and could defer draft entry until he turned 22 years old.
      Essentially giving him 3 years to develop.

His agent was so bad,, that Kai wasn't even aware that he wasn't eligible for the 2021 draft. Only after checking did he realize last year hindi pala eligible. It's one boo boo after another.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
        Let's wait for the time of Kai's brother . Timothy Sotto.

Maybe, he wi make it. (To be Drafted in Nba)

After 14-15 yrs.Since seems like he will develop his basketball in US. Lol
        (Homegrown pa rin naman yun diba if ever)

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am just kidding. Dont take it seriously guys.

To ease the tension now. Haha
        hahah no tension, I think the one attribute of being drafted was the only thing that was taken away...
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
          ^
          You are actually right , the 1st bad move was instead of going to Europe or NBL out of high school, he went to the US and signed a pro contract with Ignite (touch move, it made him automatically eligible, no choice).
          If he went to a overseas pro league directly from a Philippine high school. He would have been classified as an international prospect and could defer draft entry until he turned 22 years old.
          Essentially giving him 3 years to develop.
          I hate to say but this is correct..but at least it wasnt like the lebron lopez situation..

Comment

• Originally posted by CoJ View Post
            “I’ve already gotten several Summer League invites for him but Kai decided to play for the Philippine National Team,” said Bell.

“I also want to clarify that no decision has been made about me not playing in the summer league. My agent misspoke.-Kai Sotto

Definitely needs someone who sees eye to eye. Either Bell is more of an optics guy who doesn't want to make it seem like Kai is unwanted by the league or he's just doing a PR stunt for himself to make it seem like he's doing good work for his client, probably more the latter. Either way, it's a mess.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoJ View Post
              “I’ve already gotten several Summer League invites for him but Kai decided to play for the Philippine National Team,” said Bell.

For all we know that could very well be Kai's state of mind right after draft night but he was eventually dissuaded by level-headed people who care for him, thus the backtrack.

Comment

• Guys you realize Kai's agent gets a commission every time he plays for Gilas, this is messed up ..

Comment

• Originally posted by barok espinoza View Post
                  For all we know that could very well be Kai's state of mind right after draft night but he was eventually dissuaded by level-headed people who care for him, thus the backtrack.
                  Kai is more fortunate thatn lets say lebron, but as they say mukang kai wouldve been in better situation with proper handling of the business side of things

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                    I hate to say but this is correct..but at least it wasnt like the lebron lopez situation..
                    Completely forgot about Lopez, another train wreck. Honestly our homegrown prospects should try their lucks in regions like Oceania and Europe first instead of the US. Failure to set up their careers in the US seems like a dagger to these players trajectories. They weren't the first anyways, there's Paras and Japeth before them, perhaps homegrown outlier talents in pinoy basketball are trying to run before they could walk, just my observation.

Comment

• ^
                      It becomes a problem when handlers need a return of investment soon.. people make decisions for wrong reasons.

Like interrupting a season to do a advertising promo shoot ..LOL..

There is a reason why the term., " he was offered to Gilas " was used ..as an excuse for the falling out incident.

Comment

• Money mindedness is a given for any careers. What pinoy players need are handlers with good connections to Oceanian and European teams, basically leagues which aren't nearly as commercialized as the NBA but still very pragmatic for development purposes, a good level up to weaker Asian leagues like B League. The "NBA dream" is just a dream, our players are better off grounded to reality, pinoy fans and in connection everyone else from players to agents are too infatuated with the NBA instead of basketball. We're so concerned about making it to the nba instead of thinking about what makes good basketball players given our level of talents.

Comment

hahah no tension, I think the one attribute of being drafted was the only thing that was taken away...
                          Hahahaha. Kasi naman.

After Kai, I cant think of "next filipino homegrown nba prospect" (Top 100-120ish pa rin naman Kai, so I think he was a draft prospect pa rin)

Tim is 13-14 yrs pa before his time. And a big IF, if he will play Basketball.

After Kai,

Lopez na kasunod. But with the way things are going. Seems like Lopez is still here in Philippines for maybe a year.

In U16, I saw no one.

Maybe in U18.

As for Gilas Eligible Fil Foreigns, I think we would have some. Like Ajani Jones (Terrence Jones som) for example.

Thats why I am all in support for Kai.

Matatatgalan ulit before we will have a Top 100ish (or better) Filipino Homegrown nba prospect

Comment

• We need to start producing 6'7+ wingers like Hyunjung Lee and Yuta Watanabe for NBA purposes. Caelum Harris, Konov and Lebron are good prospects given modern paradigms for the league, just needs good handlers who can maneuver through all the commercial bs.

Comment

Kai is more fortunate thatn lets say lebron, but as they say mukang kai wouldve been in better situation with proper handling of the business side of things
                              Speaking of which, we can support Kai by buying his merch since we have no idea how many people in Ohio na binudol ng EWP.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                                Hahahaha. Kasi naman.

After Kai, I cant think of "next filipino homegrown nba prospect" (Top 100-120ish pa rin naman Kai, so I think he was a draft prospect pa rin)

Tim is 13-14 yrs pa before his time. And a big IF, if he will play Basketball.

After Kai,

Lopez na kasunod. But with the way things are going. Seems like Lopez is still here in Philippines for maybe a year.

In U16, I saw no one.

Maybe in U18.

As for Gilas Eligible Fil Foreigns, I think we would have some. Like Ajani Jones (Terrence Jones som) for example.

Thats why I am all in support for Kai.

Matatatgalan ulit before we will have a Top 100ish (or better) Filipino Homegrown nba prospect
                                All the heartaches won't matter once we qualify for the Olympics. it's what should matter to the fans. Kai's dreams are his alone, and when he succeeds, the glory is his alone. Fans are only there to support him all the way. But when fans act like Kai's dreams are theirs as well, it gets creepy haha

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information