Page 1 of 324 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Kai Sotto's Thread

Default Kai Sotto's Thread

If people are going to act like idiots with the thread title, might as well have a new one.

Really disappointed with what is happening right now. Kai should have gone straight to the Ignite bubble and go through all the tests. If he gets benched then he has to accept that. While it looks like Brian Shaw is not a good coach and his teammates are ballhogs, Kai being missing in action and not having communication, allegedly creates a bad impression among scouts. He has not yet earned the respect from teams and scouts to do what he is doing. He is still a non-entity in the larger NBA scheme of things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One thing I think is concerning is it does not seem Kai has complete control of what he can or can’t do. This is all speculation but if true that’s not good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by live_evil View Post
    If people are going to act like idiots with the thread title, might as well have a new one.

Really disappointed with what is happening right now. Kai should have gone straight to the Ignite bubble and go through all the tests. If he gets benched then he has to accept that. While it looks like Brian Shaw is not a good coach and his teammates are ballhogs, Kai being missing in action and not having communication, allegedly creates a bad impression among scouts. He has not yet earned the respect from teams and scouts to do what he is doing. He is still a non-entity in the larger NBA scheme of things.
    This is actually reasonable and acceptable. Thank you for posting a new thread.

If Kai went straight to Orlando last week to quarantine, today is the day he will be allowed to join the team. And maybe we can see him play in the GLeague. But where the hell is he? His handlers is jeopardizing his NBA chances.

Will the impression of many here will changed if FIBA qualifiers push thru and somehow Kai Sotto played great on those 3 games? EWP is gambling on 3 solid kai sotto games, then shut him down until pre draft workouts or does his opting out g league bubble allowing him not compulsory applied for this years draft?
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    Will the impression of many here will changed if FIBA qualifiers push thru and somehow Kai Sotto played great on those 3 games? EWP is gambling on 3 solid kai sotto games, then shut him down until pre draft workouts or does his opting out g league bubble allowing him not compulsory applied for this years draft?
    Maybe this is my guess here.. No G-League appearance means he's not qualified yet officially to this year's NBA draft.. If that is the case then that's OK.. For me eh he's not primed yet for this year's draft.. Others here are wanting to put Kai in this year's draft even thou Kai is not ready yet..

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    Maybe this is my guess here.. No G-League appearance means he's not qualified yet officially to this year's NBA draft.. If that is the case then that's OK.. For me eh he's not primed yet for this year's draft.. Others here are wanting to put Kai in this year's draft even thou Kai is not ready yet..
    Diba, kaya we need to open up this issues so that we can get the ewp side of things...

Diba, kaya we need to open up this issues so that we can get the ewp side of things...
    This is my goal for Kai first before the 2022 NBA draft:

1.) Play professional leagues, probably either Europe or NBL Australia and put a good numbers there (Ala LaMelo Ball)
    2.) Play for Gilas, especially in FIBA Asia cup this year and atleast put a good numbers (Much better if he will be atleast Mythical 5 or MVP of the tournament to acknowledge scouts)..
    3.) Change his agents.. Much better if he hire an agent that has big backing in NBA set up...

Not really, for me the gleague was still the better option. It’s not like his stock before when he played with TSf and dominated or when he played u19 changed, he still hasn’t made any of the mainstream mock drafts. Not to mention all the scouts will be paying attention to the gleague.

My guess is maybe they are trying to get signed instead? I mean he already had an agent and he is earning from the gleaguethat was made public so I doubt he can be considered an amateur anymore. He’s automatically qualified for the draft. I’m a little iffy on the details but I believe for college players they can withdraw from the draft if they don’t have an agent so they can still be qualified as an amateur.

This is my goal for Kai first before the 2022 NBA draft:

1.) Play professional leagues, probably either Europe or NBL Australia and put a good numbers there (Ala LaMelo Ball)
    2.) Play for Gilas, especially in FIBA Asia cup this year and atleast put a good numbers (Much better if he will be atleast Mythical 5 or MVP of the tournament to acknowledge scouts)..
    3.) Change his agents.. Much better if he hire an agent that has big backing in NBA set up...
    This should have been the better route but nothing to do right now but to wait. I'm not throwing my hat behind anyone who can negatively affect Kai or his career. That goes for both the spin people and ewp.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    Not really, for me the gleague was still the better option. It’s not like his stock before when he played with TSf and dominated or when he played u19 changed, he still hasn’t made any of the mainstream mock drafts. Not to mention all the scouts will be paying attention to the gleague.

My guess is maybe they are trying to get signed instead? I mean he already had an agent and he is earning from the gleaguethat was made public so I doubt he can be considered an amateur anymore. He’s automatically qualified for the draft. I’m a little iffy on the details but I believe for college players they can withdraw from the draft if they don’t have an agent so they can still be qualified as an amateur.
    Who will bite? Dallas, GSW or Toronto trying to be signed by nba team thru private workouts?

One thing I think is concerning is it does not seem Kai has complete control of what he can or can’t do. This is all speculation but if true that’s not good for him.
    I think this is the reality of any other out of high school kid trying to get to the nba, from AAU, high school coaches, boosters, parents etc. The key here is now the adults making the right decision in the long term interest of Kai.
    Ducks fly together!

Not really, for me the gleague was still the better option. Itís not like his stock before when he played with TSf and dominated or when he played u19 changed, he still hasnít made any of the mainstream mock drafts. Not to mention all the scouts will be paying attention to the gleague.

My guess is maybe they are trying to get signed instead? I mean he already had an agent and he is earning from the gleaguethat was made public so I doubt he can be considered an amateur anymore. Heís automatically qualified for the draft. Iím a little iffy on the details but I believe for college players they can withdraw from the draft if they donít have an agent so they can still be qualified as an amateur.
    You didn't get the point here.. Even he's in G-League eh it doesn't mean he's already eligible.. Remember most of International prospects are already PROS before enter the NBA draft.. Example here is Yao Ming.. He's already eligible as early as 2000 in the NBA draft.. But he decided to skip until 2002 because he feels that he's not ready yet.. Thus, He continue playing in CBA.. He's already professional since at age of 18 (or 19).. So anung pinagkaiba dun sa kaso ni Yao at Kai? porket nag G-League pathway na it means he should join already? It's still players choice if he wants to join or not, as long as he's ready physically and mentally.. Yi Jian Lian also played professional before enter in the NBA.. and also he skip 1 year before joining NBA.. So what is the difference? Since G-League and other PRO leagues abroad are already called professional already..

You didn't get the point here.. Even he's in G-League eh it doesn't mean he's already eligible.. Remember most of International prospects are already PROS before enter the NBA draft.. Example here is Yao Ming.. He's already eligible as early as 2000 in the NBA draft.. But he decided to skip until 2002 because he feels that he's not ready yet.. Thus, He continue playing in CBA.. He's already professional since at age of 18 (or 19).. So anung pinagkaiba dun sa kaso ni Yao at Kai? porket nag G-League pathway na it means he should join already? It's still players choice if he wants to join or not, as long as he's ready physically and mentally.. Yi Jian Lian also played professional before enter in the NBA.. and also he skip 1 year before joining NBA.. So what is the difference? Since G-League and other PRO leagues abroad are already called professional already..
    I think the difference is kai’s part of a special program affiliated with the gleague which is a part of the nba. Not sure if that makes him automatically eligible.

https://www.sports.legal/2018/05/a-g...the-nba-draft/

1) Automatically eligible:

To be automatically eligible, the NBA requires an athlete to meet one of the following criteria:

They have completed four years of their college eligibility; or
    If they have graduated from high school in the USA, but did not enrol to a college, four years have passed since graduation; or
    They have signed a contract with a professional basketball team not in the NBA and have played under the contract.
    For an international player to be considered automatically eligible:

They are at least 22 during the calendar year of the draft; or
    They have signed a contract with a professional team outside the NBA but within the USA, and have played under the contract.
    (2) Early entry player:

In the USA, it is very common for athletes to play at college level for one year and then (upon turning 19 and being one year removed from high school) enter the NBA Draft. This is known as the ‘one and done’. Many prospects choose this route before becoming a professional player in the NBA as they are not automatically eligible. These athletes must declare their eligibility no later than 60 days before the Draft and it must be accepted by the NBA.

(3) International players:

For a player to fall under this category, they must meet all of the following criteria:

Permanently reside outside of the USA for at least three years before the draft;
    Have never enrolled in a US college or university; and
    Did not compete in high school in the US.

I posted about this same exact thing in the other thread many times already, Kai’s is not in full control of his pursuit of the NBA dream for the plain and simple reason that his family didn’t finance his US move on their own.

EWP bought Kai to the US not only because they wanted a Filipino in the NBA but to also earn revenue from him, he was an investment in their eyes from a business standpoint not a “beneficiary” of some philanthropic endeavor.

Thus, every dime EWP spent on him has a string attached to it which means EWP has absolute control over every business and basketball decision concerning Kai since it’s their money and time (which translates to opportunity cost since they can use that time for other commercial purposes) at stake here.

Can Kai dump EWP or can another agency sign him? Yes I believe that’s an option but that will involve not only reimbursing EWP of the expenses they incurred with Kai but also compensating them for Kai’s value as an EWP asset.

Another route is for EWP to partner with a more established and respected sports agent, they did this with Aaron Goodwin before but as of late that agreement doesn’t seem to exist anymore. Anyway, going this route means that EWP will have to share the proceeds on Kai which then leads to another tricky situation - how will they split the proceeds and who gets a bigger piece of that pie?
    Last edited by Cocoy Martin; 02-22-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoJ View Post
    I think this is the reality of any other out of high school kid trying to get to the nba, from AAU, high school coaches, boosters, parents etc. The key here is now the adults making the right decision in the long term interest of Kai.
    I think one variable we have to keep in mind is that Kai relocated to the US and that move wasn’t financed out of his family’s own money.

I believe there’s a rule in the NBA CBA that if an international player plays professionally in the US he becomes automatically eligible to be drafted once you he hits 19 and this rule is not applicable to international prospects who are playing professionally in leagues outside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoy Martin View Post
    I think one variable we have to keep in mind is that Kai relocated to the US and that move wasn’t financed out of his family’s own money.
    and that perhaps is the biggest variable, the Sotto family defers to EWP for important decisions since the agency invested in Kai and is reliant on this revenue stream, this is actually the dilemma of poor american kids who at a early age are targeted by AAU coaches, and those who make it to the NBA actually gives a share of their salary to that coach/agent

ill try to look for that NBA Open Court episode where Charles Barkley discussed this in detail in relation to NBA players going broke since they had too many people in their inner circle

edit: found the episode

skip to the 12 min mark , the topic is money and hoops

reggie miller said it best, "CEO of your company"
    Last edited by CoJ; 02-22-2021 at 07:13 PM.
    Ducks fly together!

CBA collective bargaining agreement is clear
    US based pros (Ignite) have different eligiblility rules than international based pros. The former has 19 yrs on old while latter is 22 Yrs old with no distinction if played in pro or amateur /school

Kai is automatically entered into this draft by signing a contract with a US based Pro team

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoy Martin View Post
    I believe thereís a rule in the NBA CBA that if an international player plays professionally in the US he becomes automatically eligible to be drafted once you he hits 19 and this rule is not applicable to international prospects who are playing professionally in leagues outside the US.
    So it means Kai can still skip this year's draft because he's not played any official G-League games.. Yes, he signed but not played yet.. Although Kai's team should fix the contract obligations.. Maybe Kai's team should buy out his G-League contract to fix this problem.. This is what Homer Sayson and Snow Badua didn't know about this one..

Page 1 of 324 1231151101 ... LastLast