Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Kai will make the Nba. It is too harsh to say " He is not good enough in that level anyway". Let the Nba Teams and Nba decides that when yhe time come.

As for the Peenoise. Hays. What can we do. They really making our Nationality look bad.

I am not sure if they will make this. But Maybe Kai will request a "Yao Ming Clause" or "National Team Clause" in his nba contract.

Nba team will decide that then.

BUT I AGREE. NBL IS NOT A BAD FALLBACK OPTION.
    Yes I agree with you on this...Kai will eventually make it to the NBA. Regarding the "national team" clause in an NBA contract? I don't really know if that's even going to be a big of a bargaining chip for Kai nor if any NBA team really endorses it in this day and age.
    Originally posted by PeeZones
    Kai is a top ten lottery pick come draft day and the best team for him is the spurs...Kai is way more skilled OFFENSIVELY than duncan, yao, aldridge, kp. etc..Kai is way better offensively than Porzingis by a mile...Kareem isnt really way far than Kai..decent bball IQ for both MJ and Kobe but Kai belongs to the highly skilled and high IQ players...I see talent clearly and they cant.

Comment

• Originally posted by geohunk View Post
      Yeah I listened to that podcast and they did admit that they don't see Kai dominating the league nor having a Huge immediate impact with the 36ers at least early on into the season...especially since the team seems to be loaded on the frontline. For sure Kai will be coming off the bench and I think they will probably gauge Kai in his first 5 to 10 NBL games to see exactly if he will either be a roleplayer or have a more significant position with the team's rotation moving forward.
      it’s not really loaded frontline for 36ers.. when humphries went down, our frontline went small.. the import played the small ball 4 us.. kai will for sure be a good back up to both humphries and daniel johnson.. around 15mpg is perfect for kai. johnson avg around 35 mpg while humphries avg. around 25
      Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
        it’s not really loaded frontline for 36ers.. when humphries went down, our frontline went small.. the import played the small ball 4 us.. kai will for sure be a good back up to both humphries and daniel johnson.. around 15mpg is perfect for kai. johnson avg around 35 mpg while humphries avg. around 25
        Our?,

Are you part of Adelaide SK????

Or you are a fan of adelaide?

Comment

Our?,

Are you part of Adelaide SK????

Or you are a fan of adelaide?
          fan of the team since i moved here in adelaide 8 years ago..
          Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

15 to 20 mpg is perfect for kai to get his feet wet on the competition while showcasing his potential at the same time. Curious about coach tab saying that nbl is a big man league, does he mean teams prefer running offenses through the post instead of more modern basketball characterized by perimeter actions?

Comment

Kai will make the Nba. It is too harsh to say " He is not good enough in that level anyway". Let the Nba Teams and Nba decides that when yhe time come.

As for the Peenoise. Hays. What can we do. They really making our Nationality look bad.

I am not sure if they will make this. But Maybe Kai will request a "Yao Ming Clause" or "National Team Clause" in his nba contract.

Nba team will decide that then.

BUT I AGREE. NBL IS NOT A BAD FALLBACK OPTION.
              Sorry to be misquoted, but I'm not that pure of an IBNer to believe he won't... yung lang, someone has to knock some sense into these "Kai is better than Porzingis" people because they'll only bet their SAP and their free rice from their barangay on it when all we've seen are scrimmage highlights and old clips of him from TSF. Do I want him to succeed? Yes. Do I think he'll have a LaMelo Ball impact? Fuck no.

Also, there was no Yao Ming clause. When healthy, Yao's missed a lot of Rockets training camps because China needed Yao in the early 2000's for the '02 Asian games, the '03 and '05 ABC Championships (now FIBA Asia Cup), and obviously the '04 Olympics... all during the NBA off-season which was why he became injury-prone from '05-'06 onward because with China hosting the '08 Olympics, they were playing all the top FIBA countries in pocket tournaments and exhibitions during the NBA off-season (which was when Chot beat China's B Team but couldn't beat Toroman's Iran and Tab's Jordan in FIBA Asia '07). The point being, I don't remember an NBA player playing FIBA-level matches during an on-going NBA season and it won't be any different with Kai Sotto. If he makes the NBA, the only time he'll play for Gilas is a 4-month window every year. If he stays in the NBL, Tab and the SBP will have to call the 36ers so that he can fly 7-ish hours to Manila and train with Gilas to play one or two games (or maybe even an entire tournament) then fly back to Australia because it's the only compromise.

Originally posted by geohunk View Post
              Yeah I listened to that podcast and they did admit that they don't see Kai dominating the league nor having a Huge immediate impact with the 36ers at least early on into the season...especially since the team seems to be loaded on the frontline. For sure Kai will be coming off the bench and I think they will probably gauge Kai in his first 5 to 10 NBL games to see exactly if he will either be a roleplayer or have a more significant position with the team's rotation moving forward.
              I don't care about stats. He just has to show that he can hit open shots, protect the rim, stay in front of athletic players on the switch, and finish through contact in that league. If he does that, eh di pota baka nga umabot siya sa NBA. If he doesn't, bumalik na lang siya sa Ateneo.
              Last edited by paolylo; 04-23-2021, 10:41 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
                15 to 20 mpg is perfect for kai to get his feet wet on the competition while showcasing his potential at the same time. Curious about coach tab saying that nbl is a big man league, does he mean teams prefer running offenses through the post instead of more modern basketball characterized by perimeter actions?
                I think what he is saying is this: while Aussie bigs already possessed perimeter skills similar to that of a modern bigman, they still possessed back-to-the-basket skills. And while the game evolved into a perimeter-oriented one, bigmen with skills of a traditional bigmen are still not out of place in the NBL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackie Reaper View Post
                  I think what he is saying is this: while Aussie bigs already possessed perimeter skills similar to that of a modern bigman, they still possessed back-to-the-basket skills. And while the game evolved into a perimeter-oriented one, bigmen with skills of a traditional bigmen are still not out of place in the NBL.
                  Which is true. Even in Nba.

Mvp front runners Jokic and Embiid

Comment

• Originally posted by paolylo View Post
                    Sorry to be misquoted, but I'm not that pure of an IBNer to believe he won't... yung lang, someone has to knock some sense into these "Kai is better than Porzingis" people because they'll only bet their SAP and their free rice from their barangay on it when all we've seen are scrimmage highlights and old clips of him from TSF. Do I want him to succeed? Yes. Do I think he'll have a LaMelo Ball impact? Fuck no.

Also, there was no Yao Ming clause. When healthy, Yao's missed a lot of Rockets training camps because China needed Yao in the early 2000's for the '02 Asian games, the '03 and '05 ABC Championships (now FIBA Asia Cup), and obviously the '04 Olympics... all during the NBA off-season which was why he became injury-prone from '05-'06 onward because with China hosting the '08 Olympics, they were playing all the top FIBA countries in pocket tournaments and exhibitions during the NBA off-season (which was when Chot beat China's B Team but couldn't beat Toroman's Iran and Tab's Jordan in FIBA Asia '07). The point being, I don't remember an NBA player playing FIBA-level matches during an on-going NBA season and it won't be any different with Kai Sotto. If he makes the NBA, the only time he'll play for Gilas is a 4-month window every year. If he stays in the NBL, Tab and the SBP will have to call the 36ers so that he can fly 7-ish hours to Manila and train with Gilas to play one or two games (or maybe even an entire tournament) then fly back to Australia because it's the only compromise.

I don't care about stats. He just has to show that he can hit open shots, protect the rim, stay in front of athletic players on the switch, and finish through contact in that league. If he does that, eh di pota baka nga umabot siya sa NBA. If he doesn't, bumalik na lang siya sa Ateneo.
                    i agree on the stats. there are some young prospects whose traditional statistical numbers are not glaring, but nba teams took notice because of their perceived potential.

is kai better than porzingis? obviously not.

is kai better than 19-year porzingis? perhaps not. but it does not make him less of a prospect. and he has d upcoming nbl season to show what he can bring to d table.

can kai be better than porzingis? possibly and potentially yes. but he needs to put up the work.

baby steps muna. zhou qi was 19 when he showed what he can do in d senior asian level. and was 20 years when he played in d olympics.

kai has the olympic qualifiers and asia cup to show what he can do against top asian and word-level teams. for this year, he can show if he is better at this point to a 19, 20-year zhou qi.

the nbl will be great for kai. up to this point, he has yet to play a real professional game.

Comment

• A quick video about NBL:

Comment

• Johnson and Humpries averaged almost 21 and 16 ppg. It would be unrealistic to expect Kai to start over those two.. so long as he could make a good impact and show that he can play and not necessarily post HOFer like stats then I believe he has a chance to make it to the NBA. He's young anyway and bigmen takes some time to develop..

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                          Johnson and Humpries averaged almost 21 and 16 ppg. It would be unrealistic to expect Kai to start over those two.. so long as he could make a good impact and show that he can play and not necessarily post HOFer like stats then I believe he has a chance to make it to the NBA. He's young anyway and bigmen takes some time to develop..
                          All the better for kai since he’ll be matched up with backup bigs. From there he can work his way to more playing time and possibly even starting minutes.

Comment

yay.. i already pre order the home jersey of kai for $99 or 4k in php. will receive it around june..
                            Just bought that illawara lamelo jersey two months ago. Need to save money for that kai sotto jersey..
                            sigpic

Comment

• Monty williams on Kai:

Comment

• so I guess this is the Php 30 million endorsement deal from Smart

Kai Sotto is leading the way for a new generation of Filipino athletes

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information