Nigerian NT 2021 Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigerian NT 2021 Olympics

Not brand new (December 2020), but still relevant interview with Nigerian NT coach Mike Brown about NT, Olympic goals, Adebayo and Oladipo situation and a bit on future of Nigerian basketball

Golden State Warriors associate coach Mike Brown has started his tenure as Nigeria head coach with an unbeaten run, and is aiming for world domination and an Olympic medal, because why not?

70, Carl, 70. This 44 players pool before World Cup looks a joke now

D’Tigers’ coaches set to screen 70 players ahead Tokyo Olympics

The race to represent Nigeria in the basketball event of the forthcoming Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is getting hot as about 70 players are vying for the few slots available.

The men’s national team, D’Tigers won all their matches at the just concluded Afrobasket qualifiers in Tunisia to book a spot at the 2021 championship billed to hold in Rwanda later in the year.

Yesterday, the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) said 70 players, including those from the Afrobasket qualifiers, would be screened by the national team coaches when the Tokyo Olympics camping begins in July.

NBBF Vice President, Babs Ogunade, said D’Tigers’ performance at the Afrobasket qualifiers showed that Nigeria has a quality team that will put smiles on the faces of Nigerians at the Olympics.

“The NBBF is delighted that D’Tigers have booked the ticket for the Afrobasket championship. The next line of action is to organise a training camp at different locations to enable the NBA players in D’Tigers team to have easy access to camping activities.

“About 70 players will be called to camp with the best players selected for the Olympics. The first phase of the camping will be held in America for the convenience of NBA players. Camping will also hold at various locations to pick the outstanding players for the Olympics,” he said.
    The race to represent Nigeria in the basketball event of the forthcoming Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is getting hot as about 70 players are vying for the few slots available.

Comment

Monte Morris from Denver has committed to play for Nigeria. I guess that's a naturalized player to replace Dinwiddie, who supposed to play for them, but got seriously injured couple of months ago and not expected to return this season. Since I'm not big follower of NBA, I know the name, but I hardly know the player and how much he will he help D'Tigers. One thing is sure that PG was weakest link for years there

Comment

Very good player. Very very intelligent, great vision, good drive. Like Euro.

Comment

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
          Very good player. Very very intelligent, great vision, good drive. Like Euro.
          Thnx for info. Then it should be great improvement for them over guys like Ben Uzoh or Iroegbu. Exactly what they needs at PG. Mike Brown knows what he is doing

Comment

Ekpe Udoh is committed to represent Nigeria in Tokyo, even tho he is not having the best chapter of his career lately, playing limited time in China

Comment

Nigeria started their preparations under Mike Brown two weeks ago in San Fransicso. 49(!) players were called, including NBA, NCAA and euro-based players and most of them checked-in.
              It was formally announced that OG Anunoby and Al-Farouq Aminu were not expected to join the team.

After 2 weeks of training, the squad has been cut down to 15 players. The Nigerian Federation has not yet made the players' names publicly available however FIBA has been provided with the following list of names:

Precious Achiuwa
              Chima Moneke
              Josh Okogie
              Gabe Vincent
              Chimezie Metu
              Ekpe Udoh
              Ike Diogu
              Stan Okoye
              Keith Omoerah
              Ike Ireogbu
              Ben Uzoh
              Caleb Agada
              Obi Emegano
              Michael Gbinije
              Ike Nwamu

Jordan Nwora is also expected to join the team as soon as the NBA finals conclude.

Monte Morris didn't attend the training camp and does not seem to be part of the team. Jahlil Okafor (Pistons), KZ Okpala (Heat) and Miye Oni (Jazz) were present at camp but they did not make the cut. I have a gut feeling that FIBA is preventing some of their USA-born guys to participate as non-naturalised which might be the reason for the above exclusions.

Still, this is a very good selection: NBA talent is there (Okogie, Metu, Vincent, Achiuwa, Nwora), some decent euro-based pros (Okoye, Emegano, Moneke, Ireogbu) and a fair bit of FIBA experience.

Much preferable than putting 10 NBA guys with zero international experience together.

I guess we will know more soon, they are playing the USA this Saturday in Las Vegas.
              Last edited by sixama23; 07-06-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sixama23 View Post
                Still, this is a very good selection: NBA talent is there (Okogie, Metu, Vincent, Achiuwa, Nwora), some decent euro-based pros (Okoye, Emegano, Moneke, Ireogbu) and a fair bit of FIBA experience.

Much preferable than putting 10 NBA guys with zero international experience together.
                Yeah, looks like it will mostly be guys who played in the 2019 WC. Probably a good approach. None of the young NBA guys have really broken through but they'll have more experience than in 2019.
                Originally posted by Fedfan
                Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                Originally posted by GuTO
                refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
                  Yeah, looks like it will mostly be guys who played in the 2019 WC. Probably a good approach. None of the young NBA guys have really broken through but they'll have more experience than in 2019.
                  Apparently my sources were not correct, Ike Diogu and Ben Uzoh will not be part of the team that goes to Tokyo. NBBF has published the names of the 16 players that made the first cut, Monte Morris is not there however several other NBA pros have been included (Okafor, Oni, Achiuwa, Okpala, Nwora, Okogie, Metu, Vincent). Very strong squad on paper, if they can perform well as a team then Nigeria could make it through to the quarterfinals or even further. PG position is a challenge, as it has always been. Gabe Vincent will have to play big minutes at PG.

Comment

Originally posted by sixama23 View Post
                    Apparently my sources were not correct, Ike Diogu and Ben Uzoh will not be part of the team that goes to Tokyo. NBBF has published the names of the 16 players that made the first cut, Monte Morris is not there however several other NBA pros have been included (Okafor, Oni, Achiuwa, Okpala, Nwora, Okogie, Metu, Vincent). Very strong squad on paper, if they can perform well as a team then Nigeria could make it through to the quarterfinals or even further. PG position is a challenge, as it has always been. Gabe Vincent will have to play big minutes at PG.

Will Jahik Okafor be able to play for Nigeria? I know he’s played some on u19 USA teams before. Not sure if he’s eligible because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by JamalJokic View Post
                      Will Jahik Okafor be able to play for Nigeria? I know he’s played some on u19 USA teams before. Not sure if he’s eligible because of that.
                      I believe as long as USA Basketball doesn't object that it's fine.

Comment

Even josh Okogie played for us u19squad
                        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Jahlil is probably taking the spot of the naturalized player.

Comment

Originally posted by YugoSanchez View Post
                            Jahlil is probably taking the spot of the naturalized player.
                            And okogie taking the local, he played for us in u19 also
                            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

My guess who is not making the cut after last night's game:
                              Moneke, Gbinije, Oni or Okpala and probably Nwora who is still with the Bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information