Euroleague Regular Season: Week 21 And Makeup Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jazz View Post
    Surprised that some don't think of Pascual as a top coach. He's the youngest ever coach to win the Euroleague. I also don't think you can win the Euroleague while being anything less than a great coach. F4s should also be considered an achievement- look at how Barca struggled after he left.
    Obradovic won EL as a coach with 32 years in 1992. Pascual with 38.

But that's not even important. Pascual always coached big budget teams. This one title in 2010 was a great achievement but in was the only one until now. I remember back then the games against Partizan and how much problem he had with solving physical handball of Dule Vujosevic's Partizan. He won 4 titles in Spain which is strongest league in Europe and this has to be respected but on the other hand it was with Barca. As I said I always associate him with his PAO failures where Obradovic simply destroyed him in that one playoff series. I remember that he was almost crying at the bench and they made incredible idiotic things, I remember Singleton trying to ice Bogdanovic constantly in (if I'm not wrong game 2) which often led Udoh totally alone under the basket. His limits were shown back then and that's what stuck in my mind. I always considered him someone with clear role management and discipline but more offensive coach than defensive that's why I am so surprised how Zenit is looking defensively this season.

PS: For all fans of domestic leagues from today incredible basket of Bilinovac from Cibona against Mega.
    S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R! Cibona's guard Josip Bilinovac made a full-court 3-pointer at the halftime buzzer in the match against Mega Soccerbet.

Comment

• Pascual is a good coach that usually has his teams playing with discipline, playing tough defense, and playing with a plan in offense. In an environment where all teams are struggling with uncertainties, such discipline and playing tough defense in every game really worked them.

On the other hand, I agree that Pascual is not creative enough to constantly outdo his opponents in big games. I'd be very surprised if Zenit makes it to the final four. I think it would be a bigger thing than what Bartzokas did with Kuban.
      Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
      Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
      Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
      Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

• Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
        Me neither. I like almost all Spanish coachs except him. But maybe his playoff desaster with Pao is stuck too much in our heads.
        He was very unlucky in that series. Bogdan was playing like MJ and Udoh just dominated in the paint. He really couldn't do much, he had to do something about Bogdan, because he was singlehanded killing Pao. On the other hand we had Calathes, who is notoriously bad in playoffs, where coaches prepare for him. Obra just had far better players at that moment of the season.
        previously known as Beno

Comment

• Pascual is good coach, but his success is dependent on the players he has. Budget of Zenit isn't half of Fener's like it's said.

In Pao and last season Zenit he had mediocre rosters and his results were just like that. He is not magician, no one is. Even Ataman with good roster could be considered as good coach. It's all about roster and budget you have for competition. Give Zenit's roster and budget to Radonjic and you will have the same result. Add Pangos to Kokoskov's roster and you will have champion contender right away.

His main success this season is that he was smart enough to take Pangos from Barce and that's it. Hollins is good move too, rest of the roster is more or less regular EL level.

They have chance for F4 but also they will be good match up in F8 or F4.

Comment

• Very honest interview of Kokoskov in English if you are interesed. I like this open minded guy more than ZOC actually who gave me always the feeling to come from Serbia of 1960th. This guy is more cosmopolitan and more open minded

Comment

• Zoc is the best coach ever even if his last season in Fener was disaster. We still draw painful consequences of his coaching fatigue and bad decisions but for Fener he is the legend.
              He brought us a title and it will never be forgotten.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post

Very honest interview of Kokoskov in English if you are interesed. I like this open minded guy more than ZOC actually who gave me always the feeling to come from Serbia of 1960th. This guy is more cosmopolitan and more open minded
                You thought he should be sacked a few weeks ago!

Comment

• Originally posted by janketa View Post
                  I don't want to take credits from Pascual, but for me it's Pangos who makes difference. Pasqual was last season Zenit's coach, is that right? I don't remember that they were above mediocre.

Why you asking me what is wrong with Killer Bob post? If he have some arguments to prove let's see. I would love to see stats that will show moments when Zenit sucks and Pangos make points from nothing, when all other players just watch.
                  I don't have time to watch advanced statistics in situation where it's such obvious that Pangos is doing great job. He did that in Zalgiris too.

To be honest I didn't take in consideration defensive performance, but I will do that. Not looking numbers but watching games. So my comments were focused just on offensive part. Though when we talk about about difference making it's always connected with players who score.
                  I don't remember many players with just good -points allowed, assists/rebounds of its rivals, overall efficiency of opponents- and medicre offense, who could be called difference makers.
                  Last season he was Zenit's coach maybe for few weeks at most before the season was cancelled. Plaza was the guy on helm for biggest part of that season. So Pascual never had a chance to prove himself, moreover last season Zenit was planning to play in Eurocup at first, made early moves in market with signing Renfroe and Albicy as their PGs, hardly what you need to run offense in EL, but only after it they received wildcard for EL and it was too late to make changes. This season it was Pascual who made roster moves and selected players for EL. So far it looks really good.

All that pts allowed, assists/rebs of rivals is not on single player, it's mostly a team/coach thing as I wrote. As is team defense. Smart coach usually finds a way to hide weakest link there, Saras was able to do that with the same Pangos in Zalgiris and other mediocre defenders we had, now Pascual does the same. It's not only numbers, but it's visible that it's hard to play and create against Zenit and its physical/hard game, let's say I always take that into consideration for fantasy games, cause there's Barca, there's Zenit which doesn't allow lot of easy efficiency points

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                    Last season he was Zenit's coach maybe for few weeks at most before the season was cancelled. Plaza was the guy on helm for biggest part of that season. So Pascual never had a chance to prove himself, moreover last season Zenit was planning to play in Eurocup at first, made early moves in market with signing Renfroe and Albicy as their PGs, hardly what you need to run offense in EL, but only after it they received wildcard for EL and it was too late to make changes. This season it was Pascual who made roster moves and selected players for EL. So far it looks really good.

All that pts allowed, assists/rebs of rivals is not on single player, it's mostly a team/coach thing as I wrote. As is team defense. Smart coach usually finds a way to hide weakest link there, Saras was able to do that with the same Pangos in Zalgiris and other mediocre defenders we had, now Pascual does the same. It's not only numbers, but it's visible that it's hard to play and create against Zenit and its physical/hard game, let's say I always take that into consideration for fantasy games, cause there's Barca, there's Zenit which doesn't allow lot of easy efficiency points
                    You explained to him very well, but it won't matter, because he sees only players, Larkin, Pangos, Nando...Ulanovas. He doesn't understand how much system matters.
                    previously known as Beno

Comment

• Originally posted by Killer Bob View Post
                      You explained to him very well, but it won't matter, because he sees only players, Larkin, Pangos, Nando...Ulanovas. He doesn't understand how much system matters.
                      Yes, he explained what you are not capable. You know just to provoke, we know that. Try to be a little bit more constructive and less hater.

Regarding system vs players.. In the end of the day players win or lose games not system.
                      The best example on the world is Ataman who is mediocre coach imo, and last season didn't change my opinion. But he made roster of top players and even his system works well.

Laso who is the among best EL coaches and his system is almost perfect, will strugle because he did nothing to fill the gaps after Doncic left. He did again nothing after Campazzo left.

The best system on the world won't work with Brown-Melih-Ulanovas-Williams-Duverioglu lineup.

You are stuborn guy and you always need help from someone to explain your thoughts. Even if meaning of this what Mindozas wrote isn't what you tried to spin.
                      Last edited by janketa; 01-25-2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• If you two would be boy and girl I would be sure that you love each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
                          If you two would be boy and girl I would be sure that you love each other.
                          It's my fault entirely. I wrongly believed that all people on this forum have at least basic understanding of basketball. I was wrong.
                          previously known as Beno

Comment

I wrongly believed that all people on this forum have at least basic understanding of basketball. I was wrong.
                            Poor you.. How life must be cruel regarding your expectation from this forum Of course that people come here without finished school for basketball coaches.

As I know your only qualification is that you are basketball nerd who looks stats 24h per day That doesn't make you bigger expert then people that just love basketball and have their own opinion. Think about that

Comment

• Originally posted by janketa View Post
                              Poor you.. How life must be cruel regarding your expectation from this forum Of course that people come here without finished school for basketball coaches.

As I know your only qualification is that you are basketball nerd who looks stats 24h per day That doesn't make you bigger expert then people that just love basketball and have their own opinion. Think about that
                              To be honest it does.

And it's nothing wrong with different opinions, if they make sense. Saying that the main reason for Zenit success is Pangos, is just laughable. Pangos is solid Pg, no more and no less. He's not Drazen, Bodiroga or Sabonis, who were the system themselves. Or if you want, Luka in Mavs, where everything starts and finishes with him. They had the best offense in the history of Nba and it still wasn't enough for something more than 1st round in playoffs. Why? Because D matters too.
                              Last edited by Killer Bob; 01-25-2021, 02:23 PM.
                              previously known as Beno

Comment

To be honest it does.

And it's nothing wrong with different opinions, if they make sense. Saying that the main reason for Zenit success is Pangos, is just laughable. Pangos is solid Pg, no more and no less. He's not Drazen, Bodiroga or Sabonis, who were the system themselves. Or if you want, Luka in Mavs, where everything starts and finishes with him. They had the best offense in the history of Nba and it still wasn't enough for something more than 1st round in playoffs. Why? Because D matters too.
                                It's also laughable to give all credits to coach who had chance with Pao to prove his system and did nothing. As I remember you wrote that his problem was that Fener roster was much better in that moment. So, you deny yourself with such posts. If system is more important then players, why Obra killed shit in Pascual's system with king of the game Bogdan?

Or why Real with Doncic ruled that season but next season the same system without him failed?

You are contradictory and funny guy

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information