Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Filipino Coaches Development

Default Filipino Coaches Development

So, this thread is for talking about the development of Filipino Coaches.

Let's face it. No matter how we hate the jurrasic coaching of our local coaches. They will always be the mentors and coaches of our young homegrown players. (No Parent will sent his/her young son(Kids) abroad just because of basketball).

If we want to develop our players, we also need to imrove our local coaches which is a huge part of our grassroot program.

How do we improve local coaches? SBP and Coach Jong provided some coaching program in provinces and manila.

But, with all due respect to coach jong, I think he should also be a learner.

Our local coaches should be mentored by better international coaches.

No shame on learning on International Coaches. We can share ideas with them.

Some of our local coaches have some good ideas. Coach Ayo, Coach Topex, etc.

How do you think our local coaches will improve? They are a key in success of national team. A Big Key.

They develop Filipino players younger.

Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post

Let's face it. No matter how we hate the jurrasic coaching of our local coaches. They will always be the mentors and coaches of our young homegrown players. (No Parent will sent his/her young son(Kids) abroad just because of basketball).

If we want to develop our players, we also need to imrove our local coaches which is a huge part of our grassroot program.

How do we improve local coaches? SBP and Coach Jong provided some coaching program in provinces and manila.

How do you think our local coaches will improve? They are a key in success of national team. A Big Key.

Let's hope Cone and Tab form a coaching tree. Tab, especially. As for locals, Topex (who learned under both Cone and Tab) and Ayo hopefully leave a successor who successfully incorporate positionless basketball and small ball principles.

Maybe get Coach Nick of BBALLBREAKDOWN to give a webinar here again? Let's see what coaches can apply any plays and principles he teaches.

Quote Originally Posted by B L A C K S U N View Post
    I thought Yeng is a huge fan of Euro ball? I'm not seeing that in NLEX, they play exactly like any other team in the PBA. Maybe he should attend seminars in Europe or something. But then again he's too proud of himself.
    In addition to that, Yeng also said in a Hoops Coaches International webinar that these would be really helpful for our national team in the long run:

1. Outside shooting
    2. Relentless pressure (deep bench important)
    3. Skilled bigmen (switchability, shooting, basketball IQ, take advantage of mismatches)

Too bad he can't apply the third one, especially the switchable bigs part. Still, hope our coaches take these principles in their minds as they develop their players. Deeper bench means a larger talent pool, and we desperately need to improve our outside shooting.

I noticed that Ayo is good at player development, but he hasn't developed any modern bigs, or wing power forwards. You know, guys in the mold of Tamayo, RDO, and Seigle for the former, and Kobe, Navarro, Oftana for the latter. Ando and Batiller could have been either under him. Concepcion could be a potential wing. Ayo runs a positionless offensive system reliant on ball movement, but he's somehow stuck in the traditional positions.

Some other coaches like Bonnie Tan and Alfrancis Chua have good offensive systems that rely on team play, but not exactly known for player development.

Guys like Perasol, well, at least he runs a 4-out, where the 4 is usually a wing. However, when it come to tactics and development, ayun. Not exactly championship-winning.

At least Topex turned Perkins into a point forward (although he already had the skillset of a combo forward). And he preached small ball to a tee. He put Perez and Abueva, both wings, at the 4-spot for Lyceum and Baste respectively. At least he adopted Tab's way of developing small-ball players. Hopefully, he does that with bigger wings at his disposal, those measuring around 6'5"-6'6".

If people are gonna be playing high school until 19, maybe more emphasis on high school coaching is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    If people are gonna be playing high school until 19, maybe more emphasis on high school coaching is needed?
    hmmm makes sense, too bad the focus is on college since it brings more money on the table
    Ducks fly together!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    Agreed on this point. High school is more crucial to player development. Wonder if Tab or Tim Cone can mentor HS coaches to devise a system that can develop every skill of every player.

Current Pba Coaches

(MY PERSONAL RANKINGS)

1. Tim Cone

2. Norman Black

3. Topex Robinson

4. Chot Reyes

5. Yeng Guiao

6 Chito Victolero

7. Leo Austria

8. Chis Gavina

9. Jeffrey Cariaso

10. Pido Jarencio

11. Nash Racela

12. Johnedel Cardel

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Agreed on this point. High school is more crucial to player development. Wonder if Tab or Tim Cone can mentor HS coaches to devise a system that can develop every skill of every player.
    As far as I know It is Coach Jong who are assigned to give seminars and coachinh tips to the coaches in provinces, and some high school coaches.

Tim Cone, I don't think so. He is too busy in Pba.

Coach Tab. I dont want either, He should focus on Gilas.

Wala talagang Local Coach that can teach modern basketball. Hehe.

Even Coach Tim Cone is foreign.

As far as I know It is Coach Jong who are assigned to give seminars and coachinh tips to the coaches in provinces, and some high school coaches.

Tim Cone, I don't think so. He is too busy in Pba.

Coach Tab. I dont want either, He should focus on Gilas.

Wala talagang Local Coach that can teach modern basketball. Hehe.

Even Coach Tim Cone is foreign.
    Triangle Offense is also an old school offense. No offense to CTC but his offense won't be effective in FIBA setting of 10 minutes per quarter, 40 minutes ballgame.

Triangle Offense has too many entry passes which will render the offense ineffective against foreign teams.

Current Pba Coaches

(MY PERSONAL RANKINGS)

1. Tim Cone

2. Norman Black

3. Topex Robinson

4. Chot Reyes

5. Yeng Guiao

6 Chito Victolero

7. Leo Austria

8. Chis Gavina

9. Jeffrey Cariaso

10. Pido Jarencio

11. Nash Racela

12. Johnedel Cardel
    I won't rate Topix that high since he hasn't accomplished enough in the PBA. He hasn't even won any PBA championship - something Yeng, Chot, Chito Victolero & Leo can boast.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Let's hope Cone and Tab form a coaching tree. Tab, especially. As for locals, Topex (who learned under both Cone and Tab) and Ayo hopefully leave a successor who successfully incorporate positionless basketball and small ball principles.

Maybe get Coach Nick of BBALLBREAKDOWN to give a webinar here again? Let's see what coaches can apply any plays and principles he teaches.
    I saw more of a Yeng Guiao influence rather than a Tim Cone in Topex style of coaching, from bigmen shooting 3's to using almost all of the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I won't rate Topix that high since he hasn't accomplished enough in the PBA. He hasn't even won any PBA championship - something Yeng, Chot, Chito Victolero & Leo can boast.
    Maybe. But he have inferior talent too.

I would take a hot take.

And Say Topex is a better Coach than Coach leo if they switched players

Quote Originally Posted by Itachi Uchiha View Post
    I saw more of a Yeng Guiao influence rather than a Tim Cone in Topex style of coaching, from bigmen shooting 3's to using almost all of the bench.
    I like Coach Topex because he is the Most Modern among pba coaches.

He really using 2 versatile bigs in Chua and Perkins. Small Bigs But fast and Versatile.

He also have solid plays for their shooters like Matthew Wright.

Hope they will draft the right player.

AS I SAID BEFORE, I fear Phoenix more than TNT

Quote Originally Posted by CoJ View Post
    hmmm makes sense, too bad the focus is on college since it brings more money on the table
    Maybe UAAP jrs need better promotion

Maybe. But he have inferior talent too.

I would take a hot take.

And Say Topex is a better Coach than Coach leo if they switched players
    That I would agree. I don't like Leo Austria eh.

If Leo Austria is handling a team like Blackwater or Terrafirma or NLEX, I bet he won't be able to give any of those teams even a semis finish. Leo Austria led San Miguel to some championships only becoz SMB is a star-studded team as SMC teams filled their respective rosters with great talents while depleting all the other PBA teams of talents.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

I like Coach Topex because he is the Most Modern among pba coaches.

He really using 2 versatile bigs in Chua and Perkins. Small Bigs But fast and Versatile.

He also have solid plays for their shooters like Matthew Wright.

Hope they will draft the right player.

AS I SAID BEFORE, I fear Phoenix more than TNT
    Topex already has a good concept of small ball. He used Abueva and Perez, both natural wings, as small-ball 4's. He also uses versatile bigs like Perkins and Chua.

If Topex had a 6'5" version of Abueva and Perez and a 6'6" version of Perkins, that would be a good small-ball frontcourt duo.

Topex already has a good concept of small ball. He used Abueva and Perez, both natural wings, as small-ball 4's. He also uses versatile bigs like Perkins and Chua.

If Topex had a 6'5" version of Abueva and Perez and a 6'6" version of Perkins, that would be a good small-ball frontcourt duo.
    I say a 6'5" version of Abueva and a 6'6" version of Perkins at Phoenix would be a huge headache for SMB & Ginebra.

I don't think Leo Austria will have any antidote against these kind of players of Phoenix. I think coach Tim Cone will do better, but Leo Austria, I doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Reaper View Post
    Triangle Offense is also an old school offense. No offense to CTC but his offense won't be effective in FIBA setting of 10 minutes per quarter, 40 minutes ballgame.

Triangle Offense has too many entry passes which will render the offense ineffective against foreign teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi Uchiha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I say a 6'5" version of Abueva and a 6'6" version of Perkins at Phoenix would be a huge headache for SMB & Ginebra.

I don't think Leo Austria will have any antidote against these kind of players of Phoenix. I think coach Tim Cone will do better, but Leo Austria, I doubt that.
    To be fair to Cone, despite his old-school offense and way of coaching, he still adopted modern principles, and he kinda incorporated them into his triangle. He likes size, but he also likes versatility. He has Pringle, Scottie, Dillinger, Aljon, JDV, and now Standhardinger, who are all versatile for their positions. They may be able to guard a 6'5" Abueva and a 6'6" Perkins. Does Austria have that kind of personnel as well? I personally don't think so. A 6'5" Abueva, maybe, but not a 6'6" Perkins (who will expose all of Arwind, June Mar, and Mo).

Additionally, Cone also has a concept of small-ball (though with regards to Topex, I'm sure he didn't get his concept of small-ball from Cone). I'm not talking about the three-guard lineup, I'm talking about the 4 spot. His PF's are usually more perimeter-oriented players, true small-ball 4's, like Aljon, Dillinger, and Arvin Tolentino, and to an extent JDV, and Cone allows them to play from the perimeter.

If even Tim Cone, one of the most old-school coaches in the PBA, has a better idea of small-ball and modern basketball than a lot of slightly younger coaches, there's kind of a problem with how our coaching is developed.

A 6-foot-4/6-foot-5 Abueva will be a walking mismatch not becoz he is among the most skilled player out there (becoz he isn't), but becoz of the energy, intensity & tenacity that he brings to the game. As I've said before, I think Abueva is among the best finisher off the break among PBA players. I'm very impressed with Abueva's performance with Tab Baldwin-mentored Gilas-3 in 2015. I think Abueva was gilas' best fastbreak finisher during that time. Abueva's "headless chicken" style of play during transition made wonders for Gilas. Everytime Abueva pushes the ball in transition, parang alam mo na good things will happen.

I think Abueva is the type of player a coach would need to soften up a talent laden team like San Miguel or Ginebra.

Sorry for the OT

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast