Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: UAAP Season 84

Quote Originally Posted by TheNatural7 View Post
    I think @ompongski posted the +/- stats on Twitter (personally don't bother with +/- over a small sample size and without more data) and I haven't bought the book which details how to compute for WS and individual ORTG.

On scaling, UP had a bunch of ball dominant guys: Bright, Kobe, Juan, Ricci, and Jun needed the ball in their hands to create offense (Bright being the least ball intensive, but most productive). These players also didn't have off-ball chops (Bright is the best, then Kobe).

For a player to be scalable, spacing (shooting + off-ball movement), passing, and finishing are necessary. Ricci isn't the best cutter in the world and his jumper is spotty. His passing is pretty bad and so is his decision making. Next to guys like Kobe (capable cutter and passer, but poor shooter), Juan (good shooter, but needs the ball in his hand), and Jun (PG who is an average shooter and not an off-ball threat), there is a bit of an overlap in skillsets.

I think Ricci and Juan struggled the most because Kobe was the absolute focal point of the team, but Kobe is a flawed first option and Ricci and Juan aren't capable off ball options. The Ricci as a primary ballhandler/point of attack experiment also failed (this caused even more redundancy and Juan struggled whenever he played with Ricci). Given that Ricci's teammates were not the best scaling guys, his performance dipped (but it dipped way more than I thought it would). UP had the 5th best offense last season despite its firepower. Now, if the UAAP season lasted 30 games instead of 14, maybe they could have figured it out. But, we work with what we have and they couldn't.
    Since Kobe and Ricci will be among the most tenured players in the team, perhaps UP's gameplan would now be more cateres towards their styles. Before, I always thought that Manzo held on to the ball too long and their most effective halfcourt play was dumping the ball to Bright.

They are also getting more outside threats like Jordi, Tamayo, and Calimag so that may open up the paint for Ricci and Kobe to penetrate. I am also assuming that Diouf is a much better defender and shot blocker and could result to more fastbreaks which should bode well for Ricci and Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by dubidub View Post
    Since Kobe and Ricci will be among the most tenured players in the team, perhaps UP's gameplan would now be more cateres towards their styles. Before, I always thought that Manzo held on to the ball too long and their most effective halfcourt play was dumping the ball to Bright.

They are also getting more outside threats like Jordi, Tamayo, and Calimag so that may open up the paint for Ricci and Kobe to penetrate. I am also assuming that Diouf is a much better defender and shot blocker and could result to more fastbreaks which should bode well for Ricci and Kobe.
    Manzo was probably the best perimeter player last season and I had no issues with his play after the first 4 games. The problem was that the offense revolved around Paras and he isn't an elite offensive talent. I don't think he's a first option nor do I think that he's the type of guy who should shoot around 20 shots a night.

I'm really excited for Diouf based on his performance with CEU against Ateneo, I'm hyped to see what he could do.

No more melecio for La Salle. Frees up the kinda clogged up backcourt of La Salle.

No more melecio for La Salle. Frees up the kinda clogged up backcourt of La Salle.
    Yeah gives the keys to Nelle, Nonoy and Serrano. Personally also high on David. Then there is Lojera and Vales. Still full and this isnt even counting Ice Hontiveros.

EDIT: Bartlett

The loss of the UAAP season means the bougie teams are full

Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    Yeah gives the keys to Nelle, Nonoy and Serrano. Personally also high on David. Then there is Lojera and Vales. Still full and this isnt even counting Ice Hontiveros.
    That's one small, yet high-octane backcourt.

Tough scene for the seniors who would have wanted to play their last year. If they chose to play their last year, earliest they could enter the draft is 2023. Guys like Paras, Rivero, Baltazar, Javi would be 24/25 by then. Still pretty young but considering that they are already pro-ready right now, kind of risky and counter productive to stay in the UAAP.

EDIT: Bartlett

The loss of the UAAP season means the bougie teams are full

I think you should remove Lojera out. He and Hill are already 24 years old last year. Must be 25 by this year. Except if the UAAP caters 26 year old student athletes. Meanwhile, Bartlett is only 22 to 23 years old.

No logical reason aside from money to not join the draft if you are good enough.

UAAP might not even happen in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    I think you should remove Lojera out. He and Hill are already 24 years old last year. Must be 25 by this year. Except if the UAAP caters 26 year old student athletes. Meanwhile, Bartlett is only 22 to 23 years old.
    They are giving a waiver this year but personally thought Lojera would declare too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    No logical reason aside from money to not join the draft if you are good enough.

UAAP might not even happen in 2021
    1GDL is currently barred from the UAAP and he didnt join the draft. Hope he has other options.

1GDL is currently barred from the UAAP and he didnt join the draft. Hope he has other options.
    Either Full Time Gilas, or play overseas.

He have european visa anyway

Gilas. Or maybe in Japan once the covid situation eases up? He is still pretty young so time is on his side.

Is there any possibility that the UAAP suddenly lets him play again?

Gilas. Or maybe in Japan once the covid situation eases up? He is still pretty young so time is on his side.

Is there any possibility that the UAAP suddenly lets him play again?
    There’s already another gilas pg otw to the b league

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    There’s already another gilas pg otw to the b league
    Oh really? Who? I assume it's not Juan or Matt.

Oh really? Who? I assume it's not Juan or Matt.
    Castro? Lol

Wasn't Tuck referring to Tungcab?

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelM View Post
    Too bad. I hope La Salle supports the goal of turning him to a wing. In fairness to La Salle they did not get an import after Samuel got injured. This led to a lot of PT for Balti. He wouldnt have had the confidence of going up against bigger and more athletic guys if he didnt become the de facto import of his team.
    La Salle will have a deep frontline. Ndiaye, Baltazar, Quiambao, Cortez, Phillips brothers, Bates. Hope the first 3 can become more perimeter-oriented.

Pumaren's defense may help Baltazar turn into a wing. Plus, he'll likely play the 4, meaning he has to guard the perimeter some. The UAAP has had a lot of stretch 4's lately. Either that, or they're quick.

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    La Salle will have a deep frontline. Ndiaye, Baltazar, Quiambao, Cortez, Phillips brothers, Bates. Hope the first 3 can become more perimeter-oriented.

Pumaren's defense may help Baltazar turn into a wing. Plus, he'll likely play the 4, meaning he has to guard the perimeter some. The UAAP has had a lot of stretch 4's lately. Either that, or they're quick.
    I've always wondered if the increased number of stretch 4 was due to the influence of RDO and Belga. Just noticed that stretch 4's in the country increased when they rose to prominence

Quote Originally Posted by paulrenzo View Post
    Wasn't Tuck referring to Tungcab?
    I was assuming it was Parks since he's out of contract I think.

https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/n...-torres/200500

Torres is staying at NU. He was the most productive player per minute and per possession in the UAAP Jrs. Division last year. Don't know how much of it will translate going forward, but with Dave out, expect him to play key minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNatural7 View Post
    https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/n...-torres/200500

Torres is staying at NU. He was the most productive player per minute and per possession in the UAAP Jrs. Division last year. Don't know how much of it will translate going forward, but with Dave out, expect him to play key minutes.
    Just realized Steve Nash Enriquez was with NU

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast