Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Future of Serbian NT

Nikola Topic the son of the former Red Star and Yugoslavian NT player ,Milenko Topic , might be the next big thing at PG position for Serbia, certainly since Micic the best prospect at the point guard position. Too bad he injured his hand in the first game against Czech Republic , so he didn't play rest of the tournament, but even in that game he has shown many good things, he's a great passer, he could have easily had 10+ assists if his teammates didn't miss the open shots and lay ups, he can beat his defenders of the dribble and drive to the basket , he's a solid shooter and he's playing a very good defense, , he's not a bad athlete by any means , he's deceptively very quick , overall he has a very good feel for the game. I hope he don't get ruined at Red Star like many young players before him. Some highlights from ANGT of this year, he was two year younger than the most of the players in the tournament.

Last edited by Srle; 08-26-2021 at 01:44 AM.
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

He has quick dribble moves, and seems to be faster than expected with ball in his hands. Not much of a leaper, but good size, IQ and craftiness should be enough to make a good transition to senior level.

He can dunk I am really excited about his potential , we finally have another promising prospect at the point guard position , first one since Micic. I really like Nikola Topic game, his basketball iq , playmaking ability , its going to be interesting to see his development.
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Smailagic with 22 points in a prep game against Cedevita. Got a chance to watch him play in extended minutes and definitely didn't disappoint. Works great as a small ball 5 but definitely plays like a 4. Really interesting skill set, he scored in a variety of ways, fluid with ball in his hands. He loves dribbling face up, also showed great handle in transition, can shoot, attack closeouts...Sneaky athletic with quick finishing around the rim, and what I liked is his quick decision making whether he is attacking or passing the ball. Might be a solid piece to our NT. Defense is a work in progress.

I can't get away from feeling that Obradovic is trying to model Avramovic's game after Sloukas. Very curious to see his developmental curve this season, he was known as more of a scoring combo guard but these first games with Partizan he is focused on making right plays for his team way more.

Trifunovic could be a nice 3&D threat, great chance for him to develop under Obradovic.

Koprivica is raw offensively, but definitely big upside as a defensive anchor. Needs time to adjust to Euro ball.

Kari Pešić is taking over according to Serbian media. What a romantical playback.

Feel bad for Igor, though. I am still curious why he hasn't officially left and if it's true that we will continue with Kari.
    Last edited by Katastroika; 09-07-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Smailagić looking really good vs Monaco...he's got such interesting skill set with really quick instincts on offense whenever he is attacking face to basket, closeouts or shooting.

Attention to Smailagic. I knew what his strengths were, but after watching him in real games that's just a lot better than expected. So far he has been playing almost exclusevely on 5, because Partizan lacks a classic big man. Lacks strength in the post against bigger players and sometimes loses his position easily with questionable footwork on defense, but he's got such a good first jump, had three blocks against bigger guys just from positional jump. I think he likes to play at 4, definitely showing he can adequately play at 5 also.

Now, his offense is just fire. Looks so clumsy at first sight, but what a sneaky combination of athleticism and coordination. A few highlight dunks, especially one of off p&r, he just blew by everyone in a blink of an eye and exploded on the rim. Really, really great at rolling to the basket, and I think his ability to put the ball on the floor fluidly is helping him a lot to find different ways to finish or draw a foul while staying well coordinated and with such a burst in his first jump. He was dribbling everyone on Monaco today, from guards to centers, and basically drew a foul or scored a bucket on every single possession he took. A very capable shooter also, which is going to help him imensely when using his ballhandling and dribbling to attack on closeouts, which he likes to do a lot. Really impressed watching him in two prep games so far. NT might be getting a real deal player just in time on 4-5 position. Not to mention how valuable he is going to be in these upcoming windows. 32, 8, and 3 blocks vs Monaco.

When it comes to selekcija I think Partizan will make up 50% of the roster in the first window as also Jare, Petrusev and Andjusic went to Euroleague and won't be accountable - Smailagic will take heavy minutes in November. 2nd window will be Slovakia twice what should be done witih two wins no matter what and 3rd window falls in the beginning of Eurobasket preparation so we will have our strongest roster for difficult games in Latvia and Belgrade against Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    When it comes to selekcija I think Partizan will make up 50% of the roster in the first window as also Jare, Petrusev and Andjusic went to Euroleague and won't be accountable - Smailagic will take heavy minutes in November. 2nd window will be Slovakia twice what should be done witih two wins no matter what and 3rd window falls in the beginning of Eurobasket preparation so we will have our strongest roster for difficult games in Latvia and Belgrade against Belgium.
    So, November window is going to be crucial considering that every win matters for the next phase. It's good that third window coincides with preparations for Eurobasket.

https://youtu.be/9D6zOZLBjYU

Smailagić highlights vs Monaco. A lot of heart and energy.

Vukcevic with 10 really solid minutes in ACB supercup vs. Barca. He looks much more fluid. Seems like he worked a lot this summer on footwork. Looks really good in defense. Interestingly still (at least at first view) he hasn't gained weight. Real as always working slow and good with young players.

So, Jovic and Djurisic are off to a nice start with Mega. Jovic will play a large chunk of minutes, while Djurisic probably 10-15 minutes which is still good for his development. An early blowout win for Mega, so I don't know how much to take from it, bit Jovic can really pass the ball. His drive and kick ability or finding open shooters on different angles while being on the move or dribbling the ball is really impressive, and it stood out in this game. His shooting is also getting better, and transition is just fantastic. One thing that I don't think will quickly translate to senior level is his one-on-one game. It will probably take a little bit time to adjust his dribble at this level and try to keep his dribble a little lower so he doesn't get stripped or lose his handle. Anyway, such great instincts on offense, he is not rushing or playing for himself, really great attitude and early understanding of the game.

Djurisic has the tools to be an amazing defender who can guard 1-3 position without any problem. That in combination with his offensive versatility makes him one of rare two way talents we've had in years. Composure, decision making and understanding that Jovic and Djurisic display is just so well beyond their age.

The way it seems right now, Smailagic and Jovic will be a big boost for our team in upcoming windows, and probably beyond that.

It's not Serbian national team but Montenegrin but little Bogavac has same loop in his stroke like his dad who was famous shooter

Svetislav Pešić hired as Serbian NT head coach. Mixed feelings. To me he is tricky, somewhat sneaky smart, somewhat overrated. Just a feeling. And de facto probably just above average coach overall. On other hand, he can be strict, he's sort of a legend and for such team as Serbia, I do believe, communication, psychology is the key. 72yo. Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Only thing I know this will be fun for us basketball romantics
    And Nedovic's chances for making the team are pretty small with this decision even though I think some years passed since their beef

Kari is very charismatic coach. He coached Yugoslavia/Serbia (including youth) in 5 competitions and took 5 gold medals. It would be nice to continue that streak
    Last edited by Katastroika; 09-28-2021 at 04:29 PM.

Ivkovic,Pesic serbians still hiring coaches from and 80s in modern era .

When it was obviuos coach u-50 Djordjevic did by far best job with NT in last 20 years. To control those tough serbian characters grandpa wont help

Coach in his 70s simply dont have energy anymore to coach and demand max from young men .

Atleast Pesic gonna give funny interviews that have no sense in 2020s anymore

I have different feeling about this "controlling tough Serbian characters" even though this team hasn't that much difficult characters, it's full of phlegmatics comparing to earlier decades. If someone can, than he, he has high reputation in Serbian basketball.

Point that coach in 70s has no energy to demand maximum from young man - not everybody is Greg Popovich but watching Pesic's interviews in Serbian TV and his coaching clinics in coaching academies I don't have feeling that time flew past him - he seems to be very organized and very up to the point. He is a difficult and very demandive, restrictive coach.

Role management and maybe too much discipline could be serious issues. All basketball coaches in Serbia consider this the right solution but yeah, player's with style of Nedovic and Micic will have to fight against their ego if they want to achieve a proper role in a Pesic lead team.

By the way bashing Ivkovic is really funny as he literally created the team from 2009-2013 where Djordjevic took the fruits from 2014 ongoing. Whom Sale implemented in national team as leader that hasn't been installed by Duda Ivkovic (sometimes against huge negative media/basketball community echo - Bogdanovic, Kalinic, Bjelica, Teodosic - all leaders where brought into system by Duda). Sale implemented literally noone except Jovic (who was by the way not taken by Sale but brought into serious basketball by his assistant Miroslav Nikolic).

Djordjevic got some fruits left from Ivkovic sure,but to reach 3 finals in 4 years just fruits will not be enough. Coach must know what the hell is he doing to do that.

Without Djordjevic Serbian didnt make olympics in 2008,2012,2021 and with him they won silver medals in 2016 that not just left fruits or luck.

Serbian NT always have alot of tallent even in bad periods. They need very tough skin leader that will make/demand that elite tallent play together that what Djordjevic did.

When coach stood tough against Micov or Kalinic bullshits other player saw or you going by his rules or you stay home.Atleats i got such vibes watching Djordjevic era in NT from distance.

I dont know all inside niuances,but i always felt watching Serbia NT who is in control and it wasnt players like in 00s.

I simply dont believe grandpa in his 70s can confront and demand from tough character players like Djordjevic could that all im saying.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 09-29-2021 at 02:45 PM.

I absolutely don't think Djordjevic's period was bad, don't get me wrong. But the problem is that noone sees what Ivkovic did before.

Anyways, all speculation like always. Truth will be seen next summer. Maybe good, maybe not, God only knows.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast