Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 209

Thread: Future of Serbian NT

  1. #181
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,966
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serbian_Layup View Post
    You mean basketball IQ? If so, I don't remember Danilović being a low IQ player. He was a shining head a little bit, but a fierce competitor and, of course, a great scorer.
    As for this kid, well, they say apples don't fall far from the tree.
    I meant regular IQ

  2. #182
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,966
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    I watched first time this season entire game of OKC yesterday and I am positively surprised by Pokusevski. This is going in the right direction and should be fine in mid-term. Dude has potential in being something special. Looks mobile, fast, active on the boards, disciplined in both offense and defense. Good observations of Serbian_Layup throughout the season. When maturing he should learn to use his body better and better.

  3. #183
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    I watched first time this season entire game of OKC yesterday and I am positively surprised by Pokusevski. This is going in the right direction and should be fine in mid-term. Dude has potential in being something special. Looks mobile, fast, active on the boards, disciplined in both offense and defense. Good observations of Serbian_Layup throughout the season. When maturing he should learn to use his body better and better.
    Pokusevski is definitely different compared to start of the season...work is probably paying off, he is a bit stronger and more comfortable in his dribble and driving which automatically resulted in a much better FG efficiency. He is not taking tons of contested three point shots anymore, slowly recognizing his strengths and using his big strides to get to easy buckets in transition. He is really fantastic in transition, once he enters three point zone there is no way to stop him, he just flies over near the free throw line and that's it. Thunder organization know how to use him at this stage of development and trying to grow his fundamental understanding of the game, and it really shows in the last couple of weeks. Lots of work to do, but it seems he is on a good path.

    How about Djurisic's debut...I know these qualifiers are such as they are, and those rosters are not anywhere near the real quality, but it's great to see young talents getting run in such important games with NT. Djurisic used every bit of a chance Pesic gave him last night. Missed some shots that could go in, but also did a handful of nice plays in both ways while also showing off his talent. Played like a confident vet and it tells a lot that Pesic kept him in the game for entire fourth quarter. I mean we complain about how we can't get a capable roster and fear in every window, but the silver lining is that we get to watch some really talented kids who might be key players in the near future. That's really nice and a positive takeaway that makes these windows bearable. Also, it's really good to see guys like Jagodic-Kuridza who made debut as a veteran for NT, but played terrific in both these windows. It's great to see such humble guys who don't ask for anything but always ready to step in and do the job. I heard on a press conference a question about Djurisic and Pesic said something like 'I'm preparing them for Olympics (Djurisic and Jovic)'. Pesic might be a little old but his experience and authority are priceless for this team and those young players.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jpiSddnotn4

  4. #184
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,966
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    According to Serbian media Pesic who is at US tours for visits of Jokic, Bogdanovic, Bjelica and Poku next few days is also meeting with Serbian American Sasa Stefanovic.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasha_Stefanovic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpiSR6GZbvE

    I loved this kid, he played for US youth selections and will be a hell of a player. Sasa has already Serbian citizenship even though he is born and grew up in one of biggest Serbian US-communities in Indiana. Before two-three weeks I watched a Purdue game and was thinking all the time what kind of great boost this boy could be to our team. Same as for Lithuanians also Serbia has incredible potential in North America with kids that speak language, know culture and could because of growing up in different basketball systems spice up our team.

  5. #185
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    I haven't watched Stefanovic at all, but he has been hyped a little bit in our basketball media for some time. He is a senior at Purdue, 23 y.o. (not all that young), but what I have seen from highlights and read about him, he is a great shooter with incredibly quick release. Definitely interesting, a good move by Pesic and Federation to get in touch with talented players overseas. It might be good to spice it up a little bit. Stefanovic will have important games with Purdue in coming days so it will be interesting to see how he handles big national stage.

    Just want to say that Poku's stock is rising, I can see him getting a spot, or at least I'm tempted to see that kind of length and mobility added to our current roster.

  6. #186
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    So, Katastroika, are you pleased with the debut of Nikola Topic? We've talked a little bit about him as someone who could potentially become Teo's successor in NT. High IQ, advanced passing ability, a real floor general. First game with senior team and had a team high 5 assists as a 16 y.o. A chance for Zvezda to finally do something right with their young talents.

  7. #187
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,966
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    As HUGE fan of his father I am of course huge fan of little Topic. He is without any doubt biggest project of zvezda in the next years and we will see how we will develop, first looks are pretty promising.

    Vutric - Vopic - Milenko Topic!

  8. #188
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rKquWARSvRY

    Topic is probably the best prospect we have at PG and he looks very intriguing. Great passing awareness for such young age. Good to see that we might have a legit option at PG.

  9. #189
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    There are two very interesting prospects in USA that are going to play college basketball next season and both of them are drawing attention from some of the best college programs at the highest level.

    One is Milan Momčilović, 6-8 PF, from Peawaukee high school (Wisconsin). Ranked as top 8 PF in entire class. Judging from highlights he doesn't seem to play above the rim and probably below average atheticism at PRO level, but a really good shooter with smooth release and some excellent footwork which he uses to go for some baseline fade away shots in the mold of Nowitzki. Could be a versatile scorer from the mid range and a great spot up shooter from the three point range. UCLA, Iowa State, Virginia etc. have interest in recruiting him.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCABOYRSILM

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Ze72-YwlM

    The second one is none other than Peja's son - Andrej Stojaković. He is a 6-7 SG/SF, from Jesuit high school (California). Top 5 ranked SF and top 25 prospect in entire nation. As Peja's son, don't have to bust my head for very long and guess that he thrives as a shooter. And, indeed, he can shoot that ball in any motion as a spot up shooter, off the dribble or c&s. He won't be as tall as Peja, but he will be more athletic and judging from highlights he is good with ball in his hands and can drive to the basket. It would really be something to have another Stojaković lighting it up from deep, even their release is similar. UCLA, Stanford, Connecticut, Indiana...are recruiting him.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOaeHIp8y9I

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QOCXuBpqVc

    Both of these kids were born in USA and it's rumored that our Federation is planning to get into touch with them.
    Last edited by Serbian_Layup; 07-09-2022 at 02:21 PM.

  10. #190
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serbian_Layup View Post
    There are two very interesting prospects in USA that are going to play college basketball next season and both of them are drawing attention from some of the best college programs at the highest level.

    One is Milan Momčilović, 6-8 PF, from Peawaukee high school (Wisconsin). Ranked as top 8 PF in entire class. Judging from highlights he doesn't seem to play above the rim and probably below average atheticism at PRO level, but a really good shooter with smooth release and some excellent footwork which he uses to go for some baseline fade away shots in the mold of Nowitzki. Could be a versatile scorer from the mid range and a great spot up shooter from the three point range. UCLA, Iowa State, Virginia etc. have interest in recruiting him.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCABOYRSILM

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Ze72-YwlM

    The second one is none other than Peja's son - Andrej Stojaković. He is a 6-7 SG/SF, from Jesuit high school (California). Top 5 ranked SF and top 25 prospect in entire nation. As Peja's son, don't have to bust my head for very long and guess that he thrives as a shooter. And, indeed, he can shoot that ball in any motion as a spot up shooter, off the dribble or c&s. He won't be as tall as Peja, but he will be more athletic and judging from highlights he is good with ball in his hands and can drive to the basket. It would really be something to have another Stojaković lighting it up from deep, even their release is similar. UCLA, Stanford, Connecticut, Indiana...are recruiting him.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOaeHIp8y9I

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QOCXuBpqVc

    Both of these kids were born in USA and it's rumored that our Federation is planning to get into touch with them.
    Momčilović has committed to Iowa State.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxFeldma...12358271254529

    A word on Stojaković:

    https://mobile.twitter.com/ringer/st...44796474875904

    It's true that apples don't fall far from the trees, this kid Andrej reminds me so much on Peja in the way he shoots the ball with so much style and also with some movement with the ball, it's like I'm watching Peja for a couple of moments.
    Last edited by Serbian_Layup; 07-17-2022 at 03:45 PM.

  11. #191
    Senior Member serbianhoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    888
    Country: Monaco

    Default

    Unfortunately a major question mark remains over Stefanović, Momčilović & Stojaković eligibility.

    Foreign-born players with bloodline connection with the country they want to represent must prove their legal nationality through a passport obtained before turning age 16. Players who obtained their passport afterwards can still play but they would be considered as "naturalized" players by FIBA rather than as a local. FIBA allows one naturalized player to be on the roster of a national team per game.
    And we already have a naturalized player, Tristan Vukčević. So unless all of them owned a serbian passport prior their 16th birthday, the future head coaches of national team will have to make some difficult choices.

  12. #192
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by serbianhoops View Post
    Unfortunately a major question mark remains over Stefanović, Momčilović & Stojaković eligibility.



    And we already have a naturalized player, Tristan Vukčević. So unless all of them owned a serbian passport prior their 16th birthday, the future head coaches of national team will have to make some difficult choices.
    That's really a bummer, especially if all of them pan out as high level players. It's interesting that all of them (including Tristan) have a really good stroke and project to be good shooters. Even if just one of them lives up to expectations and have desire to play for NT, it would be great. Stefanovic didn't make it in the draft, wondering if there is any kind of interest from ABA league teams for him, probably worth the try.

  13. #193
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    This kid Radakovic from U18 team caught my eye through first couple of games in the group stage. Not really athetic, looks even slow in his motion, but really skilled with ball in his hands with good body control which enables him to finish well on the rim. What I've seen in first two games, he can do a bit of everything as a three level scorer. Very interesting offensive upside, standing at 6'7'' he can play both SG/SF. There are 4-5 high level prospects missing from this team (including Djurisic), but this kid could be a pleasent surprise of the tournament. I see that Zvezda already signed a professional contract with him a couple of months ago. Really nice fundamentals.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HPqOlpqeoSg

  14. #194
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Đurišić with 17/4/5 in a prep game against University of Virginia. He will see a lot of playing time in ABA league upcoming season. It's a long shot, but he might be Bogdan's backup in NT sooner than we think.

  15. #195
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Đurišić with 24 pts and 6 as against Overtime Elite (team made of next year's draft picks, couple of them projected to be top 10). Few days earlier had 16 and 5 against Karsiyaka. A really ball dominant physical G/F who is becoming adept at playing PG. I'm prety sure he is going to be very important for NT in the next FIBA window. This looks like his breakout season. Still just 18...

    https://mobile.twitter.com/Franchise...76905575661571

  16. #196
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Poku is turning into a solid NBA starter. He is playing under control with a lot better decision making, improved his shooting form, his release is much higher and looks more fluid. Looking good on defense, rebounding and his passing game is really becoming an asset. Offseason payed off and seems like he is putting all the pieces together. With better shooting he could be a 'Swiss army knife' type of player. His third season and still just 20.

    NBA game is really tailor made for Jović. The Heat organizaion and fans are impressed with his ability to do pretty much everything on offense and really surprised how fluid his game with that kind of size at 6'11''. His defense was also much better than everyone expected compared to Summer league. Spoelstra played him at center in a couple of games (against Adams and Sengun), and he made terrific plays on both ends. Heat are known as one of the best developmental organizations in the league and Jović landed in a perfect place for him. Heat are contending so Jović probably won't get many minutes from the start but if he continues to develop like this it will be hard for Spoelstra to keep him out of rotation. His feel for the game is just great, passing instincts off the chart for someone that young and tall. Already great option in pick&pop sets, did a lot of handoff moves like Jokić usually does leading to quick good looking shots. Of course, already showed ability to shoot from every spot on the court. So far he is only struggling with stamina and conditioning, once he fills out his frame and get stronger his ceiling could be very high.

    If everything goes the way it looks right now, Poku and Jović will be a pair of 7-footers who can play everything from 1-5. That could be a unique weapon for our NT for like 10+ years.

  17. #197
    Senior Member Straight forward's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,296
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serbian_Layup View Post
    If everything goes the way it looks right now, Poku and Jović will be a pair of 7-footers who can play everything from 1-5. That could be a unique weapon for our NT for like 10+ years.
    Jokic, Jovic, Poku, Djurisic, Misic line-up sounds impressive, specially after 2-3 years. Djurisic seems to be projected as first rounder too. The smallest player would be 196cm and tremendous size and skill in remaining spots.

    On other hand - will Jokic and Bog continue?
    Is there defensive center for Serbia?
    Will Djurisic be as good as Bogdanovic? (I think no-one would be stunned if both Jokic and Bog never suits for NT again generally speaking)
    Who's the primarily leader then? I feel like Jovic, Poku fall to super role players category essentially.
    Jokic, Poku, Micic still makes somewhat questionable unit at the defensive end.

    These questions would be silly looking just at names (how many teams can field 4 first rounders and EL MVP as the starting line-up?), but when it comes to Serbia these questions are even more vital than for other teams. Cohesion, roles and attitude means a lot. Serbia can't win medals since 2017, even if was heavily favored (de facto, I think many people treated Serbia exactly as the favorites) in 2019, 2021, 2022. The same happened in 2003-2009 stretch. Despite Serbia being stacked, it can get empty for stretches of 6 years and so. It's not the first time.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

    Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

  18. #198
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Jokic, Jovic, Poku, Djurisic, Misic line-up sounds impressive, specially after 2-3 years. Djurisic seems to be projected as first rounder too. The smallest player would be 196cm and tremendous size and skill in remaining spots.

    On other hand - will Jokic and Bog continue?
    Is there defensive center for Serbia?
    Will Djurisic be as good as Bogdanovic? (I think no-one would be stunned if both Jokic and Bog never suits for NT again generally speaking)
    Who's the primarily leader then? I feel like Jovic, Poku fall to super role players category essentially.
    Jokic, Poku, Micic still makes somewhat questionable unit at the defensive end.

    These questions would be silly looking just at names (how many teams can field 4 first rounders and EL MVP as the starting line-up?), but when it comes to Serbia these questions are even more vital than for other teams. Cohesion, roles and attitude means a lot. Serbia can't win medals since 2017, even if was heavily favored (de facto, I think many people treated Serbia exactly as the favorites) in 2019, 2021, 2022. The same happened in 2003-2009 stretch. Despite Serbia being stacked, it can get empty for stretches of 6 years and so. It's not the first time.
    I don't know what the future holds, or whether Poku and Jović will ever play together or play with Jokić, Bogi and Micić...I'm just seeing a unique skill sets that they can bring to NT with that kind of size, IQ, and feel for the game. They can truly play kind of positionless basketball and you can mix all kind of things with both of them in the lineup. I would be delighted if they pan out to be elite role players because basketball is trending that way and those type of players are highly appreciated these days. I think Poku is heading that way, while Jović has a bigger upside becasue of his ability to create a lot of stuff while being 6'11'' and having a great feel for the game.

    I personally would be stunned if Bogdan and Jokić (especially Bogdan) decided not to play for NT ever again. Why would they do that? No one has those doubts among our fans and basketball comminity. If Bogdan is healthy and still playing basketball, he is a 100 percent lock for NT. As for Jokić, it will depend on his physical and mental condition after NBA season. No one is expecting that he won't be playing for NT anymore even if he skips next summer. The vibes that were coming out of NT over the summer were great, everyone seemed to enjoy playing for NT. There is no any reason to think otherwise, nothing bad happened.

    We had a great stretch 2014-2017, now a bad one but I wouldn't be too dejected about that. Lots of factors contributed to those bad results in last couple of years, but none of them has anything to do with players having bad relations or anything like that. We simply need better luck with health and more time to truly create our identity, especially with Jokić. Also, we need to finally understand that we can not underestimate any team and prepare mentally to play like favorites.

    Not worried about defense. Hypothetically, with all that size and length, it would take a really low effort to play bad defense. Micić is a plus defender when he wants to play and don't underestimate opponents (which he did against Italy), then if I have Jokić playing 30 minutes I don't really care whether I have defensive center or not because it is way more important to fix perimeter defense. Poku and Jović are already showing a nice versatility and IQ on team defense as help side defenders, Đurišić is also projecting to be a very good defender, still have Bogdan, Kalinić, Lučić, Marinković, Dobrić, Jaramaz...Not worried about defense, just need better luck with health and more time to click as a team in upcoming years. As long as that talent keeps coming, we are getting closer to put all pieces together and go for something big.

  19. #199
    Senior Member Serbian_Layup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    821
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Poku has been balling and playing winning basketball against strong competition. It's pretty obvious that he is taking huge strides in his develoment and giving outlook of what he can become as a player. And that's at very least a competent two way player. His shot is coming along it seems, shooting efficiency jumped through the roof compared to first two seasons. And the best part is his defense. Help side defense, rim protection, ability to cover a lot of ground and contest shots on the perimeter, that is area where he is already good. And he is doing it all playing exclusevely as a center this season. From perspective of our NT, it would be really great to have a player who can give a great help side defense and rim protection next to Jokić, or even play at 5 when Jokić rests, especially when we face some small ball centers who can pop or roll (like Melli), that's where Poku would be so valuable to move his feet and contest shots at the rim. I think his ceiling is still so high because it feels like there is so much room for him to improve which will probably happen if he continues to fill out his frame and get stronger. Playing at 5, boxing out, being physical against athletic matchups will help him a lot. The most realistic scenario for him is to develop into elite two way player who can play at high level as PF/C. And if he adds up to his playmaking and ballhandling abilities, there is probably all star potential. I think he can make a huge impact in FIBA ball, and I think Pešić wanted to bring him to NT even this year. If he continues to develop like this, he is a lock and great piece for NT.

  20. #200
    Senior Member Obina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,427
    Country: Montenegro

    Default

    Good start for Nikola Jović.


Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •