Future of Serbian NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of Serbian NT

Let's speculate on Serbia's future a little bit? Micic is elite EL PG and he should be poised to be among the keys in upcoming decade, Bog not yet particularly a grandpa, Guduric is still rather young, but what are other true Serbian guard studs of the future?

PG Micic
    SG Bogdanovic, Guduric
    SF Pokusevski
    PF Alen Smailagić
    C Jokic, Petrušev

Some more studs at 1 is probably needed to some extent...
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

You can add Tristan Vukcevic of Real Madrid, Mario Nakic, Todorovic and Radovanovic

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
      You can add Tristan Vukcevic of Real Madrid, Mario Nakic, Todorovic and Radovanovic
      All bigs or forwards.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
        All bigs or forwards.
        Nakić is classic SG. Look at him in Oostende. He looks better as SG than SF and needs ball in his hands.
        My favourite is Đurišić from Mega, Stefanović NCAA from guard positions.
        Last edited by Katastroika; 11-23-2020, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Indeed, there are many prospects at positions 3-5, only few of them at 1-2. But the guy I've noticed is already mentioned by @Katastroika - Nikola Đurišić. Only 16, playing at OKK Beograd in KLS right now (KLS is pretty underwhelming league quality wise, but for those young players at that age it might be beneficial form physical perspective because they are up against tougher and physically much stronger competition), he gives me vibes of those old school Serbian/Yugo guards (forwards) with tons of skills and superb feel for the game. Kind of players not necessarily athletic, even look slow, but so skilled that they play the game in their own pace and just making teams adjust to them rather than adjusting to opposition. Probably the best prospect in his generation, enormous potential.

Nakić projects to be a really good/elite shooter with excellent ball handling skills. Has a great size for a guard. We'll see how he develops in Oostende, he had a great game recently, scored 25 points, tons of rebounds and couple of assists. I'm not sure if he will choose to represent Serbia though, there were indications like it's going that way, but Croatia and even Spain can still be in the play for him. This bubble for European qualifiers was a good chance to invite him, but he still might be undecided.

We'll see about Pokuševski, incredible ceiling, but he is still a long shot.

Need to see more to be able to comment about Tristan Vukčević, from what I've seen he's got a great size, nice shooting stroke, ability to put the ball on the floor and lead transition after securing defensive possession. Very fluid for his size.

Smailagić is kinda stuck between PF and C. Very intriguing skill set, he loves attacking on close-outs, which makes him a valuable asset in some small ball lineups against more traditional slow foot centers. It would be great for him if he profiles himself as an adequate player at both PF and C positions, not to mention it would be great for our NT to have a possibility to throw in some small ball lineups. He is also sneaky athletic, loves to play with the ball in his hands. Not much of a post up player though, defense is a work in progress.

Petrušev is built for European/Euroleague basketball much more than NBA, in my opinion. He is not a rim protector and so far he is not showing a lot of range in his game. That hurts a lot his NBA potential. His strengths are post ups and finishing around the basket as a roll guy. Also a fairly good rebounder. He excels at those skills, and I think his future is in Europe, probably Euroleague basketball. He has the potential to be an elite offensive center in this competition. Also, Milutinov will be a part of our frontcourt rotation for another 5-6 years.

Now, when it comes to some other not necessarily young or wide known prospects who can make a jump to NT, I would predict that Ognjen Jaramaz might become a very valuable piece of our guard rotation in the near future, if he keeps developing like in past two seasons. I see him as a perfect replacement for Jović when retires form NT. Not as good playmaker as Jović, but better ability to create his own shot, really good slasher (able to finish through contact, something that Nedović for example has missed his entire career), and an aggressive on ball defender with excellent lateral quickness. Guys like Avramović, Peno, Dobrić, Davidovac, Kravić etc. are good to have, especially in these circumstances, but they are probably not close to make a serious consideration for the best team.

I thought Radanov would get a chance at Zvezda this season, but apparently it isn't happening. Why is that so, I have no idea. It baffles me that Zvezda hasn't been able to produce one single domestic Euroleague level player since they became regular participant. When you take into consideration that they have by far the best conditions to develop younger players, very good infrastructure, one entire ABA league club – FMP is basically their affiliate, it just can’t be that there aren’t younger players worthy of chance to compete for a playing time at Zvezda’s roster. It’s a waste of all resources that they have been enjoying for years due to a very favorable political ambiance in Serbia. And that’s very gutless. I don’t believe it’s all about lack of domestic talent, but rather unwillingness to really invest in younger players due to pressure to make a noisy result in Euroleague. A lack of daring mentality, it looks to me.

All in all, right now, Pokuševski, Vukčević and Đurišić (two years younger) are probably the brightest Serbian prospects, followed by Nakić. Smailagić and Petrušev, I think they have a high floor, but not too high ceiling. Definitely potential to become valuable NT material.

Guards with scoring ability or playmaking skills are definitely missing here, but with Micić, Bogdan, potentially Pokuševski who is basically point forward, and of course Jokić, I don’t feel like we will be experiencing problems in our guard rotation due to lack of playmaking, or lack of scoring guards.
          Last edited by Serbian_Layup; 11-24-2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Very good post. Reflects situation realistically.

The more I watch Milijasevic the more I like him. He is a very good driver and shooter. But we have to wait serious competition.

I like a lot Pavle Stosic, he reminds me on Lucic. He went from Real to Zaragoza but is really athletic, can handle, hustle, rebound, has back to basket game - complete skillset and really modern player.
            A lot of people mention Jovic from Mega now, hype started this season, he looks very interesting, it is way too early to compare him with serious players and especially really good ones, but yeah, he reminds a little on Bjelica.
            As i said for Stefanovic, we will see him now in a very good NCAA system in Utah, he is very confident shooter.
            Tarlac got injured but has basketball in his gens, he is versatile, maybe a little stuck between 3 and 4 but handles seem good.
            Trifunovic has great potential but is used a lot less this year than under Trinchieri. But I am really fan of him and think he has one of greatest upsides of all players here.
            Miskovic, Pecarski two great young players that like often lost a little superiority after becoming seniors but are still very young and we will see if they will be serious EL quality.

There are serveral rumours about 2004 and 2005 generation but this are children and my experience in following basketball shows me that usually the ones you expect most underperform in a long term and then suddenly someone jumps out.
            Fun fact: Jankovic from Partizan was starting center in U19 Serbia at World Cup in front of Jokic.

Comment

True, there is always someone under the radar, waiting to get into big picture. There are really a lot of prospects, many of them probably won't live up to expectations, but some others will just come out of nowhere.
              It's always been like that, especially in our basketball sphere.

Comment

Avramović Is making a serious case to be considered for Olympic qualifications. He deserves the chance to compete for that spot, has been great for this team in the past couple of years in multiple qualification windows.

Also, big positive takeaway from Finland game is Radanov, great defensive effort and off ball movement on offense. Kokoškov made excellent adjustments by giving him quality minutes. If improves his outside shot, could be a nice two way player. But he needs to start playing or moving on from Zvezda. I don't get why he isn't getting any minutes, not even in ABA league.
                Last edited by Serbian_Layup; 12-01-2020, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Avramovic is a more stable version of Nedovic in my opinion. He plays great in Spain, he plays great in national team. Maybe Jaramaz will be 12th player, maybe Guduric, but my impression is that Aleksa deserves the spot most (at least in this form). Great scorer, great driver. Mentally stable. Leading gen. Maybe even too good for 12th spot. I like this combo guard set up a lot and seeing how Kokoskov works I think this will be the basic of our game.

Radanov looked like a hungry dog being unleashed. I liked Simanic, too. Those guys deserve minutes in zvezda. I hope that this games opened eyes to Obradovic.

PS: As we spoke few days ago about talents you should watch a few numbers of Jovic from Mega in cadett league. Index 50 games regularly. I don't know if stat padding or serious, if accelerant or pure talent but it looks gigantic from highlights.

Comment

Watched some Avramovic as well this season in ACB. Really impressive agility and coordination, gets a little but wild here and there, but some drives are just incredible. I think he's still somewhat a bit streaky and to certain extent unpredictable, but really interesting player. Would see him as a short stretches super energy guy for any Euro NT basically, even Serbia.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                      Watched some Avramovic as well this season in ACB. Really impressive agility and coordination, gets a little but wild here and there, but some drives are just incredible. I think he's still somewhat a bit streaky and to certain extent unpredictable, but really interesting player. Would see him as a short stretches super energy guy for any Euro NT basically, even Serbia.
                      Well, with the way we have been missing key players year after year, his chances might be better than people think.

Comment

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
                        Avramovic is a more stable version of Nedovic in my opinion. He plays great in Spain, he plays great in national team. Maybe Jaramaz will be 12th player, maybe Guduric, but my impression is that Aleksa deserves the spot most (at least in this form). Great scorer, great driver. Mentally stable. Leading gen. Maybe even too good for 12th spot. I like this combo guard set up a lot and seeing how Kokoskov works I think this will be the basic of our game.

Radanov looked like a hungry dog being unleashed. I liked Simanic, too. Those guys deserve minutes in zvezda. I hope that this games opened eyes to Obradovic.

PS: As we spoke few days ago about talents you should watch a few numbers of Jovic from Mega in cadett league. Index 50 games regularly. I don't know if stat padding or serious, if accelerant or pure talent but it looks gigantic from highlights.

His shooting skills are impressive. Shooting mechanics and quick release definitely reminds a lot of Bjelica. He can shoot from everywhere on the floor, and those one legged turnaround jumpers are surprisingy clean and so fluid for his age.

Comment

Nikola Jovic is the best prospect in the youth system in Serbia.
                          UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Comment

@straight forward:

Same dad? I began to laugh during the video. Flashback. (Of course if we take into consideration that Zeljko would have rather died than shoot outside the three point line - but those post ups and moves are like a copy).
                            Last edited by Katastroika; 12-12-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
                              @straight forward:

Same dad? I began to laugh during the video. Flashback. (Of course if we take into consideration that Zeljko would have rather died than shoot outside the three point line - but those post ups and moves are like a copy).
                              Indeed, same touch. Genes is a strong thing

We Lithuanians are realising this specially now. We have Arvydas son becoming HOF, Marciulionis' kid has a lot of similar moves, Jokubaitis is also former player's son, R. Giedraitis as well and more. We hear now that Jasikevicius' son is playing ball, we'll have to wait a little bit I guess, LOL.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information