Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Eurocup 2020/21

  1. #21
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,344
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    I have feeling that ABA champion won't get wildcard if Buducnost takes it (what is highly unlikely though). That's why we root for Monaco
    Buducnost would be nightmare for Jordi No arena, no budget, I remember there were some other problems when they took part in EL with airports, accommodation. I know in private conversations he said that ABA + VTB best teams will be invited as wildcard holders, but since VTB/Russia has money, they will get a wildcard, ABA is not rich, so hardly 2nd team will be invited. Then I'm quite sure that Virtus will be in EL in any way, question is wildcard or not. In your shoes I'd cheer for Virtus in Eurocup too, to leave one wildcard free Anyway, I hope Virtus will make it purely for its rich history, then VTB+ABA and it would be the best scenario to have Valencia again (only condition if they won't cross Zalgiris path to EL PO ))


  2. #22
    Senior Member Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Play-offs are set (best of 3)

    https://www.eurocupbasketball.com/rs...racketqf-1.png

    Virtus with best top16 record will have home court advantage in all rounds, so it makes them even bigger favorites to win the title and EL ticket. Anyway, their side of bracket looks tougher than other one. If Valencia won't make it to EL PO, we might have some French EL newcomer or Gran Canaria/Buducnost in finals and EL too. I guess Bertomeu should not be happy about it.
    Good!

    Virtus have a great record in this competition this season, but somehow I still don't trust that they're going to win the whole thing.

  3. #23
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    12,769
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Nevermind Teodošić, their defense is stellar, able to play some good pressure on the perimeter along with Hunter being able to cover up lots of mistake in the post with his speed. When they added Belinelli, whenever some team would be able to stop their old core, Marco shows up with some crazy 3pointers out of the blue. Add Marković, Teodošić's vision, agiity of some of their post guys, Weems and Adams, they are an offensive machine basicaly at the euroleague level without a doubt.
    I think they are a clear cut favourites, they might lose a game on a bad night, but I don't see them loosing consecutively.

    If it happened though, potentialy before the finals, since Unics is the most likely team to beat them, it would be really fun seeing what Jordi wuld have to come up with to get them in euroleague

    Bodučnost is playing much better now under Milojević, haven't seen Monaco play to make an assesment, however them coming into the finals would be another fun thing to see from "Jordi perspective". Hey I got my motivation to watch these games suddenly and I promise to Santa I will be a good boy through the year
    If Bodućnost won the ABA league Jordi would definately ignore them and invite Zvezda instead, however if they get to finals of eurocup and Valencia stays out, that would take some creative use of the by-laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,432
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    This masterpiece of Djordjevic was knockout for ABA in Euroleague 2021/22. No way Bartomeu won't give licence to Virtus. for next year EL. I have big fear that Ex-Yu region is planned for Eurocup - in long term not short term.

  5. #25
    Senior Member R1ou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,240
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Had a feeling Virtus would choke today.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,432
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    Had a feeling Virtus would choke today.
    Me too, but it has to be said that Unics played a fantastic game. All credits to them. They were simply better.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    2,988
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Another do or die game of Teo and Djordjevic and another failure. 105 points in your home in such a critical game is not tolerable.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,649

    Default

    UNICS deserved to win this. Teodosic was the best player for Virtus, so I don't think the choking comment is fair. The coach was always the biggest question mark for this team...

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,432
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toruko View Post
    Another do or die game of Teo and Djordjevic and another failure. 105 points in your home in such a critical game is not tolerable.
    Yeah, it was totally and exclusively Teo's fault yesterday.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Obina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,196
    Country: Montenegro

    Default

    Congrats to Unics, well deserved. They are improving during the season, credits to Priftis. It will be nice to see Smith, Brown, White in EL, even Canaan if he stays.

    About Virtus, this is a huge disappointment for them. I doubt that they will play EL next season.

    They must consider a different selection, too much money for two veteran guards and rest of team is pretty mediocre.

  11. #31
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,344
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    This masterpiece of Djordjevic was knockout for ABA in Euroleague 2021/22. No way Bartomeu won't give licence to Virtus. for next year EL. I have big fear that Ex-Yu region is planned for Eurocup - in long term not short term.
    Bertomeu said few days ago to Italian media that he won't invite any Italian team. It was surprising as I thought Virtus will have back-up no matter what. Yeah, we shouldn't take his words for granted, but he wouldn't shoot himself in own leg with such statement as he knew that it's all open between Virtus and Unics. So I'm quite sure it will be Zenit (VTB) and ABA club

    As much as I saw this series Unics was simply better. Sad for Virtus, such legendary club deserves to be in EL, but you can't win with offense alone. Teo and Belinelli stuck for another season in Eurocup, another blow for bball fans, unless Virtus will change it's strategy and will let Teo go, but they invested just too much


  12. #32
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    12,769
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Bertomeu said few days ago to Italian media that he won't invite any Italian team. It was surprising as I thought Virtus will have back-up no matter what. Yeah, we shouldn't take his words for granted, but he wouldn't shoot himself in own leg with such statement as he knew that it's all open between Virtus and Unics. So I'm quite sure it will be Zenit (VTB) and ABA club

    As much as I saw this series Unics was simply better. Sad for Virtus, such legendary club deserves to be in EL, but you can't win with offense alone. Teo and Belinelli stuck for another season in Eurocup, another blow for bball fans, unless Virtus will change it's strategy and will let Teo go, but they invested just too much
    I agree that changing a statement like the one Bertomeu made in Bologna isn't likely to happen.
    What about eurolegue expansion? I mean, we all know it will happen sooner or later, if it happens right now, what's the difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

  13. #33
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,344
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    I agree that changing a statement like the one Bertomeu made in Bologna isn't likely to happen.
    What about eurolegue expansion? I mean, we all know it will happen sooner or later, if it happens right now, what's the difference?
    At the same press-conference Jordi said that he is planning to have 16-18 licensed clubs till 2023-24, so it gave me an impression that only then there would be a chance for expansion


  14. #34
    Senior Member Obina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,196
    Country: Montenegro

    Default

    New format is so terrible. I wonder who is genius with this proposal.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    78
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Disaster !

  16. #36
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,344
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obina View Post
    New format is so terrible. I wonder who is genius with this proposal.
    ECA Shareholders Executive Board

    I like regular season idea, but the rest is just plain horrible. Basically what's the point of playing 18 games in regular season to finish it all and decide the winner with one game elimination PO, it's absurd. You can finish the season 18-0 and then lose one game on a bad night and it's all over. I understand such format with NTs, when you have 2-3 weeks to determinate the best team, but when you have 9 months is this the best you can come with? Was it that hard to make it best of 3 series with teams having home court advantage, to have a point to fight for better placing? I really got tired of seeing criteria like "knock-out phases that will deliver increased thrills". I don't care about thrills, I want best teams to win


  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,432
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Catastrophic and idiotic move.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Khimki City
    Posts
    982
    Country: Russian Federation

    Default

    I like it because basically it hopefully opens a path to huge 7Days JordiCup degradation, especially since the very top of European top basketball is much more stable than the next level. So Jordi & his crook crew rob themselves of dynamism in evaluating and reacting to qualitative changes in club power rankings.
    2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

    Thrash 'till Death!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •