No announcement yet.

Lithuanian Point Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Velicka on NT debut, Maciulis' motivational speech before the game, his current shape, and continuation of LNB PRO A:

Dėl sustabdyto Prancūzijos čempionato ir šalyje įvesto griežto karantino Šampanės Šalono CBA klube rungtyniaujantis Arnas Velička visą lapkričio mėnesį turėjo praleisti be krepšinio.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Man, tough debut for A. Marciulionis against EL club. For the first time he played serious minutes (thirty minutes almost) against such team and he really struggled. I thought he completely slept over the first half while he could utilize his agility and energy, but remained passive. Later he found it hard to bang with stronger players with his currently thin frame and stamina issues also took place. I thought he had to be much more aggressive, precise and cheeky under such conditions, but it's a hell of a school for him. Should look at he mirror after such game and to work even harder. If we compare 18yo Marciulionis and Jokubaitis in LKL, it's really really close, maybe even Jokubaitis having a slight edge, but I'm sticking to my projection that Marciulionis has a higher upside. Rokas is marching forward, his main weakness now is shooting threes. It's not like he can't shoot, last season 45,7% (16/35), his numbers are decent in EL this season as well, but his 4/18 (22,2%) in LKL this season doesn't look good...

Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Hell of a week for Marciulionis. Unleashed against Zalgiris and VEF. Tonight 15pts, 7as, 17eff in 24min. He needed that kind of experience, to go through his mistakes, to feel the game, to brake on through on such level. It was an amazing stretch in third quarter when was doing it all: dominant slashes, facilitating, nailing a three, playing D, making some creative tricks. Rare 18yo gets such opportunity and utilizes it. RAW potential. He's getting there. If he will be lucky and will get more solid minutes with some credit, he will be ready to compete with any Rytas' guard after couple of months.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Young mustang unleashed:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
            Jokubas Rubinas deserved just to be mentioned
            He may not be Jokubaitis, just a mere Jokubas, but his stock is rising. Dropped 31pts against Zalgiris2 and now he has 17ppg, 6apg, 17.3eff. If we would look at sheer numbers, then he's on Kalnietis soil, 18yo Kalnietis was dropping 17,7/4,3. And likely current NKL is more PRO and competitive than 2004 LKAL. The numbers are huge. What I like about him is that he has super quick and reliable trigger. He can shoot spot up and off the dribble. Has midrange game. Crafty with the ball, nice crossovers, hesitation dribble. Despite the fact that he doesn't have roaring athleticism and dominant first step, seems to be maneuvering very flexibly while driving, using crafty euro step to get a lay up. 43.4% threes is impressive. If Marciulionis will go to NCAA next season, Rytas has a good piece to fill his shoes. Here's his fresh career high:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

The way Augustas dishes off assists is just as impressive as his drives to the basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                The way Augustas dishes off assists is just as impressive as his drives to the basket.

It is indeed. 4 assists in 8 minutes in his last LKL take. IMO, he will have a good chances to make 2022, 2023 NT already (more like latter probably), at the age of 20, 21. Just as Jokubaitis does. IMO, at 2023 we should have big PG trio packed in the NT already.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Rooney not directly criticise Kairys and whole Rytas situation (who doesn't?), but does that very correctly. I understand him. While I can say openly, Kairys has been a complete trash. It's a fact. All these excuses and absences won't dig the fact that he's a trashy coach and Rytas has been a complete mess. He would be long gone if not ridiculous conditions of his contract, yeez...When you think about, what kind of crazy project is this season's Rytas is...A nightmare.

Now as for Augustas case, I thought he surely could get more chances here and there (like in last LKL game he grabs 11per in some 7min, but than he plays 9min overall...He's leached even when he's playing well. But I wouldn't dramatise, he got his stint in CL, he's playing 12min in LKL. That's the same minutes Jokubaitis was getting in Zalgiris as 18yo. Yes, just as Rooney I want more and there's a sense he can play more, but situation is not tragic for the young gem, he's developing. Interesting that he was very close leaving to Lietkabelis, but decided to be loyal to Rytas. IMO, next season he's gone to NCAA because Rytas is too messy to trust them. He supposed to be a back up PG, but Rytas couldn't sell Bickauskis. I doubt Rooney will trust Rytas for another time, even if they will say, we are giving at least 20min next season.

Šarūnas Marčiulionis pirmą kartą per pastarąjį dešimtmetį Naujuosius metus pasitiko ne Amerikoje, o gimtojoje Lietuvoje. Legendinį šalies krepšininką Vilniuje užlaikė COVID-19...

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I love Jokubaitis, he is poised to be elite EL PG, but I stick to my projection that A.Marciulionis is the best guard prospect since his dad. Career high in LKL, 17pts in 16min. against Lietkabelis. Bar injuries he will be relentless and tameless guard at both ends of the flour.

If only 10s could get one of these three PG studs... I don't think 21yo Kalnietis could have 12/5 in tough and athletic league as France LNB as Velicka is having now. 31yo Kalnietis has been struggling in this league in 2018/2019 season with 7.7/5.6. Basically we are about to have 2 star point guards and plus Velicka who is likely better than Kalnietis. If these three will have great careers it should be some sort of compensation for all these decades of PG section deficiency in Lithuania.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I love Jokubaitis, he is poised to be elite EL PG, but I stick to my projection that A.Marciulionis is the best guard prospect since his dad. Career high in LKL, 17pts in 16min. against Lietkabelis. Bar injuries he will be relentless and tameless guard at both ends of the flour.

If only 10s could get one of these three PG studs... I don't think 21yo Kalnietis could have 12/5 in tough and athletic league as France LNB as Velicka is having now. 31yo Kalnietis has been struggling in this league in 2018/2019 season with 7.7/5.6. Basically we are about to have 2 star point guards and plus Velicka who is likely better than Kalnietis. If these three will have great careers it should be some sort of compensation for all these decades of PG section deficiency in Lithuania.
                      I think that your guard situation long term looks quite well. A bit concerning that none of them are great shooters though, but you can overcome that.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
                        I think that your guard situation long term looks quite well. A bit concerning that none of them are great shooters though, but you can overcome that.
                        Good point. All three guys we mention here are inconsistent shooters, but I don't exclude the possibility that Marciulionis will be a good shooter in his prime, maybe even Jokubaitis as well despite a bit strange form of shooting. Grigonis surely is a good shooter and we only yet to have some benefits of that in the NT, and players like Sirvydis, D.Giedraitis, Brazdeikis should also bring some shooting to the NT. No Macijauskas in the horizon, but the picture with guards, IMO, is even better than quite well.

Some highlights of Augustas tonight. Dropped 11pts in 4 minutes in the third quarter:
                        8.9K views, 190 likes, 28 loves, 20 comments, 3 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Betsafe-LKL: Augusto Marčiulionio šou trečiame kėlinyje

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Just a small note to make situation look more fair: Kalnietis played for Asvel, champions, while Velicka is doing that in bottom team in 18 clubs league

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                            Just a small note to make situation look more fair: Kalnietis played for Asvel, champions, while Velicka is doing that in bottom team in 18 clubs league
                            Sure. The cross section was rather between what would Kalnietis provide at 21 in Velicka's place, knowing that he relatively struggled in LNB in his prime, at least I think he wasn't happy about his impact and so on AFAIK (off course, the game style wasn't the one that Kalnietis was used to). The team's obviously hardly comparable, but their playing time and opposition is still the same. My point was, I guess, that I don't see why Velicka shouldn't go as far as Kalnietis if not further in his career. At 21yo I think Velicka has more polished facilitating game, better handles, and what I'm pretty sure about, Velicka has tools to be better defender than Kalnietis was.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Sure. The cross section was rather between what would Kalnietis provide at 21 in Velicka's place, knowing that he relatively struggled in LNB in his prime, at least I think he wasn't happy about his impact and so on AFAIK (off course, the game style wasn't the one that Kalnietis was used to). The team's obviously hardly comparable, but their playing time and opposition is still the same. My point was, I guess, that I don't see why Velicka shouldn't go as far as Kalnietis if not further in his career. At 21yo I think Velicka has more polished facilitating game, better handles, and what I'm pretty sure about, Velicka has tools to be better defender than Kalnietis was.
                              Nah, it's only opposition that is the same, but not the situation they are(were) in own clubs. It's like comparing some Jokubaitis/Lekavicius in Zalgiris and Kariniauskas in Nevezis days. Roles are too different, teammates are different level. Also Kalnietis in 2018 was going down a bit already. And as you said LNB simply doesn't suit Kalnietis too much, he needs more team oriented league to show its best. So this LNB comparison is not really fair IMO. But of course we hardly have any other.
                              While 21yo Kalnietis is overall hard to compare cause he was spending time on Zalgiris bench without getting a proper chance. Not that he was bad, but cause we had better PGs like DC, Popovic, who were proven EL players. NT was also too high ceiling when vets cameback. I think current Velicka would be in the same shoes. But does Velicka has chances to have better career? No doubt he has, at least what comes to club level, where Kalnas never shined thnx to bad choices and injuries.

Comment

And Velicka is out. I guess the club was determined to make some changes. It's good for Arnas, IMO. He should play much more games and likely more minutes. Would love to see instead of Boaltright in Rytas, but most likely he will go to German league.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information