Lithuanian Point Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
    what hype? Seibutis is from small city and never played before in any youth tournaments till 2005 and first tournament he become MVP thats insane from that regard. If he had been ale hyped he would have been in youth teams 2001-2004.

Seibutis is underdog story,not some hype prospect that everybody talked since he was like 16 like lots of our hyped youth "stars" that never could even reach real men NT player status.

Seibutis was taken to youth NT only when he started balling In sakalai at 19 big time.
    From this angle, yes, he came a little bit out of nowhere, but when he snatched MVP of U21 and got drafted people started to look at him as potential another great guard, at least some I know hoped for that. He became a very solid role player in the NT, even of of keys in his prime, but never became an elite guard. Anyway, taking whole picture into a matter, I agree that he's more of an underdog success story.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
      From this angle, yes, he came a little bit out of nowhere, but when he snatched MVP of U21 and got drafted people started to look at him as potential another great guard, at least some I know hoped for that. He became a very solid role player in the NT, even of of keys in his prime, but never became an elite guard. Anyway, taking whole picture into a matter, I agree that he's more of an underdog success story.
      Seibutis wasnt even considered as ltu youth material since he started beating lkl men.

Renaldas was cut like 3 first summers from NT and dint complain and later become starting 5 player played in Nt since literally he could run.

Thats shows strong character.

Like In Urbonusas podcast they are saying: Seibutis was like that little angry dog that would bite and stuborny never let go.Thats kind of defence he was playing with his 82kg.

That underdog had a nice career.

Comment

Yeah, probably best personality in the NT ever His social skills shouldn't be underrated.

Speaking about defence, I watch Zal-Uve and I like Jokubaitis D, he also had some really strong performances in EL as well. In his prime he'll be solid guard at D. Marciulionis should be elite, nothing less. Then D. Giedraitis also is a guy who can bite his opponents as bulldog hell or high water and Velicka can be a good defender also. Defensively wise we might have best backcourt ever in mid 20's.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

21yo Jasikevicius was 12.4pts, 3.6as player for Maryland (NCAA)
          21yo Kalnietis LKL 6,9pts, 3,5as (20min) Zalgiris.
          21yo Seibutis 13.5pts for Maroussi (Greek league).
          21yo Grigonis 9.7pts Manresa (ACB)
          21yo Lekavicius Zalgiris 4.6pts (EL)

Looking from this angle. What does it make of Velicka who had 11.4pts/5,2as in LNB Pro A and now has something like 14pts/6as in Bundesliga. Isn't that he is basically the first 21yo since Macijauskas to play at such high PRO level? I mean French and Bundesliga surely tops NCAA, LKL, Greek League. Only Grigonis stats line looks really nice playing in ACB as 21yo and Lekavicius didn't entirely blew his chance (soft Zalgiris back then though). IMO, Velicka is ridiculously underrated. Not only he gets from little to none hype, but there's also some sort of hare and scepticism like he would be indepted to someone already or failed somewhere. This ridiculous Velicka is one of best guard prospects we ever had and somehow in Lithuania he only gets indifference or hate. And some Miklovas would say I would be "almost chocked to see Velicka in the NT one day" or something like that Like many times, even BB journalists can't have adequate picture of our prospects. Like they couldn't with Sirvydis also, who was almost the only youngster with such stats standing in the Eurocup.

Just for comparison, one of Liekabelis leaders Valinskas completely failed in French league last season, being 24yo.
          Hepcat will like your mostly stats based opinion On serious note, you again forgot to put to analysis that Velicka plays(-ed) for bottom teams in these leagues and this fact alone purely theoretically puts him lower than any of your mentioned players. NCAA was great in 90s, Greek, Spanish leagues were also better. Not that it makes Miklovas right by any mean tho

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
            Hepcat will like your mostly stats based opinion On serious note, you again forgot to put to analysis that Velicka plays(-ed) for bottom teams in these leagues and this fact alone purely theoretically puts him lower than any of your mentioned players. NCAA was great in 90s, Greek, Spanish leagues were also better. Not that it makes Miklovas right by any mean tho
            Sure, but my point probably is that Velicka is pretty much right there with best guards in comparison. In other words, far from every day we have a 21yo who could come to bundesliga and would be dropping 17, 19, 18 points instantly, even if his team is not the strongest (Seibutis team was 8th that season, Manresa also wasn't among better teams that season). Velicka shouldn't be overlooked, in other words.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Speaking about defence, I watch Zal-Uve and I like Jokubaitis D, he also had some really strong performances in EL as well. In his prime he'll be solid guard at D. Marciulionis should be elite, nothing less. Then D. Giedraitis also is a guy who can bite his opponents as bulldog hell or high water and Velicka can be a good defender also. Defensively wise we might have best backcourt ever in mid 20's.
              Hepcat will like your mostly stats based opinion
              Well I certainly do hope that all four players Straight forward mentions in his post emerge as national team members and in some cases leaders by the 2024 Olympics. All I've indicated previously is that I don't think any of them are ready yet for this summer's team. Given the possibility of jammed fingers, sprained ankles, foul trouble, I'd not be comfortable with a bench that included any twenty year old twelfth men.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                Well I certainly do hope that all four players Straight forward mentions in his post emerge as national team members and in some cases leaders by the 2024 Olympics. All I've indicated previously is that I don't think any of them are ready yet for this summer's team. Given the possibility of jammed fingers, sprained ankles, foul trouble, I'd not be comfortable with a bench that included any twenty year old twelfth men.

Jokubaitis might be ready for bench. He tasted top level bball in Euroleague and that is the closest thing that can get you to international scene bball and Olympics. And he is not some deep bench player in Zalgiris. That's a huge advantage in his case. Also he looked good in that window game vs Czechs back in November. Not scared, not afraid of taking some shots, some responsibility. Even in his debut. All he lack is experience with NT jersey. He makes some wrong decisions, some forced shots and etc., but he has guts, big ones and that also what carries him higher is candidates list. So he is in discussion for sure, while Velicka is yet to be proven even as EL level player. He doesn't feel too comfortable with NT jersey yet. If older Kariniauskas already matured at least for such windows games, then Velicka can't carry the weight of it successfully, but he has tools to do that in future. He should get his chances in next cycle. Marciulionis is overall too raw to expect anything this year.
                Regarding Jokubaitis, a lot will be clear in camps, if he will deal with pressure, his chances are really good to make final roster for OQT

Comment

Jokubaitis ... is not some deep bench player in Zalgiris. That's a huge advantage in his case.
                  Yes, I've noticed that Jokubaitis has often been playing more than twenty minutes per game recently which is more than Lukas Lekavičius. That's certainly an argument in his favour.

Also he looked good in that window game vs Czechs back in November.
                  That would actually be the one played 24 February 2020 where he dished out 6 assists with a PER of 8 in 22:35 of play.

Jokubaitis might be ready for bench.
                  But once again, I hope no player is taken for Team Lietuva this summer that Coach Maskoliūnas would be afraid to send onto the floor during important moments.

Comment

Yes, I've noticed that Jokubaitis has often been playing more than twenty minutes per game recently which is more than Lukas Lekavičius. That's certainly an argument in his favour.
                    Jokubaitis now is even a starter, since we have very thin SF position. We usually see Walkup, Grigonis and Jokubaitis in the starting 5 at backcourt, Jokubaitis even trying to defend against SFs. Lekavicius is the same energy booster from the bench

That would actually be the one played 24 February 2020 where he dished out 6 assists with a PER of 8 in 22:35 of play.
                    Yes, it is. Time flies

But once again, I hope no player is taken for Team Lietuva this summer that Coach Maskoliūnas would be afraid to send onto the floor during important moments.

Well, Jokubaitis has guts, he already proved that at the start of the season hitting game winning free throws in EL away game, being 1 point down. He isn't afraid to take responsibility. Anyway, NT shirt is heavier, importance and pressure will be enormous, even some veterans used to make silly mistakes in the important moments, so you can never know how young player will react and how well will cope with it. But if there's one to show some trust, then Jokubaitis is the name. The importance of tournament is too big for coach to take someone who doesn't deserve it and has no trust. As I wrote, camp will answer some questions too, how players will be ready not only physically, but psychologically also

Comment

Velicka drops 16pts/6as against Bayern. Got a give credit for a guy for this dominant stretch This campaign of 21yo impresses me more than some Kariniauskas feasting in inferior LKL league compared to Bundesliga and LNB A. We have beast guard growing and he may reach true elite level. In last 4 games he drops 17,5pts and 6,7as.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Velicka drops 16pts/6as against Bayern. Got a give credit for a guy for this dominant stretch This campaign of 21yo impresses me more than some Kariniauskas feasting in inferior LKL league compared to Bundesliga and LNB A. We have beast guard growing and he may reach true elite level. In last 4 games he drops 17,5pts and 6,7as.
                        The last time we saw Kariniauskas vs Velicka in indirect battle, was like one way traffic in Kariniauskas favor, so adding his name here doesn't help to praise Velicka at all, vice versa

Comment

The last time we saw Kariniauskas vs Velicka in indirect battle, was like one way traffic in Kariniauskas favor, so adding his name here doesn't help to praise Velicka at all, vice versa
                          It doesn't spoil it either. It's fair comparison. Don't get me wrong I'm impressed with what Kariniauskas is doing, he transited to top 4 LKL team and his numbers didn't decline. He's balling. And he obviously much more matured and more ready mentally for the NT, but nevertheless it's a good question how he would survive in more quality leagues, how he would do in super physical LNB PRO A, would he be putting something like 12/6? Maybe yes, maybe not. With that said, Kariniauskas has an edge at the moment, no doubt, specially when it comes to the NT, he already been there and he looked very confident in FIBA windows (even though he disappeared a little bit in true crunch time against Denmark and we shouldn't really include Velicka into comparison this time, because he barely played and just burned out in that do or die game, I think previous FIBA windows reflect Velicka's status quo abilities better). But he's 27 and Velicka just turned 21.

I surely have Kariniauskas as a much more serious candidate to make 2021 OG team than Velicka, there's no single doubt about it, but at the same time let's not forget it was B Czech Rep NT and...Denmark that he was balling against. And the guy never actually played in strong league for years now. So we shall wait and see if he can provide against tougher defences at the higher level. Velicka at this point is in more convincing position at this point. There's no single doubt. One stands at 5th position other 6th in domestic leagues rankings (am I only who doesn't buy it that Italian Legabasket is at 4th spot? https://www.eurohoops.net/en/tradema...-covid-season/) while LKL is 10th and somethimes it's ranked 11th. So it's like Velicka is balling in 2 times more competitive leagues. Sure, playing for top LKL teams is a strong argument, but however we look we didn't see Kariniauskas balling at really serious competition in years. IMO, he would do pretty good, but we have to see it first.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Man, you don't have to downgrade Kariniauskas or LKL to make Velicka look better We know the leagues, the overall strength and etc. But you can't compare bottom German/French team to LKL top4 team. It's a pure guessing which one is better. While Denmark, Czechs mixed squad, yeah, not the greatest teams out there, but Kariniauskas delivered, Velicka didn't against the same rivals and yes we must include that Velicka burned out. That's exactly very important factor how player is ready mentally for big games. Karina looked more matured, more ready, showed some decent plays in important moments, even despite that missed floater. Velicka didn't play for a reason. Since you are comparing players now, age doesn't matter too. That's all we have now, in 5 years maybe we won't remember who is Kariniauskas, but today he has advantage

Comment

Man, you don't have to downgrade Kariniauskas or LKL to make Velicka look better We know the leagues, the overall strength and etc. But you can't compare bottom German/French team to LKL top4 team. It's a pure guessing which one is better. While Denmark, Czechs mixed squad, yeah, not the greatest teams out there, but Kariniauskas delivered, Velicka didn't against the same rivals and yes we must include that Velicka burned out. That's exactly very important factor how player is ready mentally for big games. Karina looked more matured, more ready, showed some decent plays in important moments, even despite that missed floater. Velicka didn't play for a reason. Since you are comparing players now, age doesn't matter too. That's all we have now, in 5 years maybe we won't remember who is Kariniauskas, but today he has advantage
                              He surely has advantage, no doubt about it. Kariniauskas always didn't care in a good way and today his confidence is supreme. But I never downgraded LKL or Kariniauskas. LKL factually stand 10th while French and German league right there at 5/6spots. Current Velicka's team still has PO chances, it's not complete bottom team. But that's not important, my point is that Velicka was able to brake some of truly tough and athletic defences. You barely meet that kind of defence and physical presence in LKL. My point is that Kariniauskas might simply bump into much more tougher defence (or maybe not, but the fact is we don't have empirical data to judge). Actually, I'm anxiously waiting to see how he will look against some Zalgiris in LKL PO. When fresh Walkup will bite Kariniauskas' ass then he'll have a real test. If he will deliver big time then, it will be a big thing. To sum up, Kariniauskas at the given moment is a better player, we agree here, but since 21yo Velicka shows such promise in competitive leagues I'm more impressed about this occasion exactly than Kariniauskas feasting in LKL at his prime.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

He surely has advantage, no doubt about it. Kariniauskas always didn't care in a good way and today his confidence is supreme. But I never downgraded LKL or Kariniauskas. LKL factually stand 10th while French and German league right there at 5/6spots. Current Velicka's team still has PO chances, it's not complete bottom team. But that's not important, my point is that Velicka was able to brake some of truly tough and athletic defences. You barely meet that kind of defence and physical presence in LKL. My point is that Kariniauskas might simply bump into much more tougher defence (or maybe not, but the fact is we don't have empirical data to judge). Actually, I'm anxiously waiting to see how he will look against some Zalgiris in LKL PO. When fresh Walkup will bite Kariniauskas' ass then he'll have a real test. If he will deliver big time then, it will be a big thing. To sum up, Kariniauskas at the given moment is a better player, we agree here, but since 21yo Velicka shows such promise in competitive leagues I'm more impressed about this occasion exactly than Kariniauskas feasting in LKL at his prime.
                                Well, Bayern the same like Zalgiris fools around a bit in BBL regular season, rotates, prepares for EL, so you can't take that for granted either. It's nice to see good performances from LT players nonetheless. On other hand, also there's a proven fact for years that feasting in LKL lower caliber teams doesn't make you good enough even for Zalgiris or Rytas (in its best days) bench, at the same time for NT with best candidates. There were very rare cases when such moves worked out. Overall, both players has its limits now. Kariniauskas is better but with own ceiling either. I think now he could try himself in Eurocup, he is matured enough, but I don't think he would make it to Zalgiris, unless he will surprise again

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information