Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lithuanian Basketball League (LKL) 2020-21

I was witnessing EL level defence on Kariniauskas...and then unfortunately, boom, his wrist is probably completely "f..ed". It may be the same wrist as previously. His LKL season may be over and it even may affect his NT chances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Why would Alytus be the team you like the least?

In LKL action typically I've pulled for whichever team has less foreigners on the roster. As a result I usually cheer for the smaller market teams against ˇalgiris, Rytas and Neptūnas. The foreigner quotient is of course much reduced in Rytas and especially Neptūnas this year but that could be a temporary phenomenon.

I was drawn to Nevė˛is in the past because I liked both the gaudy green and orange uniforms and the team name ("No Crabs" - and yes I know it's a river running through Kėdainiai) but Nevė˛is has now gone away from those team colours and multiple sponsorship changes resulting in team name modifications have soured me on the team.

I've now settled on Lietkabelis as my home team because my mother was born in Panevė˛ys. Moreover Lietkabelis was established way back in 1964 and thus has a time-honoured history that's the second longest in the LKL. Finally the team name of "Raindrop" is very cool.

I've also settled on Alytaus Dzūkija as my second "home" team. Quite simply my family's origins are in Dzūkija. My grandfather moved the family homestead from Ūdrija near Alytus to Lauckaimis near Kudirkos Naumiestis shortly before my father was born. Secondly the club has a relatively untarnished history of sponsorship changes resulting in name modifications. Finally the lynx logo is wild cool. The lynx logo should though be incorporated onto the uniform somehow.

I also like Pasvalio Pieno ˇvaig˛dės a lot. First of all Pasvalys is only the 40th largest municipality in Lithuania with less than 8300 people yet has the 5th best basketball team in Lithuania. Secondly the team has always had eye catching uniforms with the current double-blue striped edition being both imaginative and pleasing to the eye:

Finally a team named "Milk Stars" is beyond cool! And yes I know it's named after a Lithuanian dairy conglomerate based in Pasvalys but I'm a dairy enthusiast. I worked at the Silverwood's ice cream plant for part of the summer in 1972. I now have a small collection of milk bottles that dairies in my general area used from the 1930's to the 1970's which I keep displayed in a kitchen pantry:

Finally Juventus has captured my attention this year for the first time. Previously I was always put off by the fact that I associated the team's name with an Italian soccer club. But the club's success in putting together a medal contending LKL team from Lithuanian players that the big budget teams didn't want has captured my fancy. The presence of five players contending for a spot on this spring's Lithuanian 3x3 team on the Juventus roster hasn't hurt either. I'd really like to see Juventus do well in the LKL playoffs.

I know that Mindozas, Svajunas and auris1 are first and foremost ˇalgiris fans, Madmax is a Rytas fan and that Shawshank is a Neptūnas fan. Any more strong preferences for LKL teams among the membership here?

Dear Hepcat ,
    First at all , my mad respect for you and your relentless enthusiasm towards your love for Lithuanian basketball and our country as such. I share the same feelings . Similar circumstances , although maybe not he same .
    Obviously , the reason of why me , you or anyone here support one but not another team is different .
    For me Zalgiris was a destiny not a choice , and i hope it doesn't sound too pompous - I was born in Zaliakalnis and i shit you not , Zalgiris on tv was the only time our family got together . Also, true is the fact that during finals against CSKA the city would go silent . I would consider myself overly obsessive as a fan too . I rarely. met anyone interested in basketball as much as i do until i joined this forum . My kids never took interest in bb or watching sports as such , thankfully. No legacy here , and i am so happy about that.
    And all of this just to answer one simple question you have asked me -
    Why would Alytus be the team you like the least?
    This is the only team in LKL that doesn't have a character and its just a pointless . Pointless . Pacesa , this fucking guy is just using his power towards some personal political gains , whatever .
    Every team has a face , right ?
    Zalgiris is Zalgiris .
    Lrytas is Vilnius town to challenge Zalgiris, i dont care about them , but at least they have Marciulionis
    Lietkabilis is to take away that second spot from Vilnius with decent mid tier talent as in Masiulis , Valinskas or Normantas and more than decent coach .
    Utena is strong with Urbonas and , gaming for medals. Who knows .
    Pasvalys wants to be Utena .Strong coach , decent players.
    Klaipeda is fucked but with decent local talent .
    Prienai is finally getting there with new afterlife from you know who.
    Nevezis - so at least we know they care only about developing talent for resale.
    Siauliai sticks with Sireika , fair enough , they actually look like a decent team.
    Alytus is shit. Also i hate the angle they take for tv broadcasts . Same as Panevezis , just wrong angle

Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    Nevezis - so at least we know they care only about developing talent for resale.
    Kedainiu Norfa

Exclamation

I was born in Zaliakalnis....
    Yes, ˇaliakalnis, the location of Club Venera which I've visited on a number iof occasions! That's certainly a good reason anyway to be a ˇalgiris fan for life.

I know that Mindozas, Svajunas and auris1 are first and foremost ˇalgiris fans, Madmax is a Rytas fan and that Shawshank is a Neptūnas fan. Any more strong preferences for LKL teams among the membership here?

Wouldn't call myself only Zalgiris fan. Im more a fan of the game. However Zalgiris usually snatch the most talented youngsters. But f.e. I saw more LKL games this season with Rytas, then Zalgiris, just because Im following Marciulionis.

Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    Wouldn't call myself only Zalgiris fan. Im more a fan of the game. However Zalgiris usually snatch the most talented youngsters. But f.e. I saw more LKL games this season with Rytas, then Zalgiris, just because Im following Marciulionis.
    That's the attitude I understand. I can't watch a ball game where there's no smell of elite material or elite potential. Despite the fact BB is team sport, it's special individuals that brings magic for the whole phenomena as such. If there wasn't Marciulionis in this Rytas team, I would be far away from it. If there wouldn't be Jokubaitis in Zalgiris, I would had watched 30% lesser or not more EL games of theirs (maybe this season would be a bit of exception though cause Grigonis and Lekavicius messed around impressively at the start of the season). And I would better watch any elite basketball player than average Lithuanian any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    That's the attitude I understand. I can't watch a ball game where there's no smell of elite material or elite potential. Despite the fact BB is team sport, it's special individuals that brings magic for the whole phenomena as such.
    I'm not on the same page with you fellows on that score at all. Players come and go, but I stick with my favourite teams in any sport through thick and thin - barring some very major change such as the team moving or changing its name. And so long as I have a rooting interest, I can enjoy games at any level - second division, junior, university, whatever.

Yes, Žaliakalnis, the location of Club Venera which I've visited on a number iof occasions! That's certainly a good reason anyway to be a Žalgiris fan for life.

Funny how it goes sometimes . I avoided that place as a plague not as a destination , but as a location . Its never been safe to be around that area, unless it was you and you didn't know better! Long gone , i hope .
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Kedainiu Norfa
    Once more , i am lost . Is Norfa sort of Lidl for cheap shopping ?

I'm not on the same page with you fellows on that score at all. Players come and go, but I stick with my favourite teams in any sport through thick and thin - barring some very major change such as the team moving or changing its name. And so long as I have a rooting interest, I can enjoy games at any level - second division, junior, university, whatever.
    Honestly , that's like a nail on the head .
    Now I understand exactly why you have asked me that question .
    You like the team and the team only, not the players - me , and some other fellows here just fluctuate between different teams because of players we like and such ,since they come and go . Young, old , decent or bad . They represent interest for me as long as they are Lithuanians and i like them .
    Players are my
    rooting interest
    So if Alytus at some point will manage to gather enough players i like , i will root for them , why not.

You like the team and the team only, not the players....
    That is correct. While I may like some players more than others for idiosyncratic reasons, I stick with my team loyalties if and when the players switch teams.

That is correct. While I may like some players more than others for idiosyncratic reasons, I stick with my team loyalties if and when the players switch teams.

Look , do you realise that the meaning of the team for most of us is a singular and not plural ?
    Single team , single sport.
    I guess it is a hobby for you to go one from sport to another , one level in that to another . From local to international . Youth to senior . ETC.
    One team is Zalgiris .
    One team is team LT .
    One sport is basketball.
    That's all from me

To me there's nothing even close when it comes to watching basketball, specially FIBA. FIBA to me is pure magic, all these special summers. But when it comes to playing, I enjoy (or rather enjoyed) playing football equally as basketball and sometimes even more because essentially I play football better than basketball even though I practiced basketball since 8yo. Football went toe to toe in the the yard though. I do not watch football at all now however, except world championships, I watch couple of games and the finals. So, yeah, basketball is an idol, big time.

On other hand, it's easy to enjoy other sports. I enjoy watching Berankis sometimes, I would actually watch Lithuanian NT football team if they would have any f...idea how to play this game, but boy we suck so bad at it
    And...look at Rose Namajunas kicking ass! My goodness. And what a story, Lithuanian parents girl born in Milwaukee, went through hardship as her father suffered from mental illness, she retained tight Lithuanian relationships with grandparents. And she's a star now, what a performance last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gkCJeGTXwc

Look , do you realise that the meaning of the team for most of us is a singular and not plural ?
    Single team , single sport.
    I guess it is a hobby for you to go one from sport to another , one level in that to another . From local to international . Youth to senior . ETC.
    One team is Zalgiris .
    One team is team LT .
    One sport is basketball.
    That's all from me
    Single team/club yes, in Europe that's more common fan culture, but single sport not so. Let alone Greece/Spain with clubs like Barca, Real, PAO with different sports sections, there are lot of basketball fans in LT who shares big passion for football especially and not necessary local clubs. But even Zalgiris now having football club under its wing, so after FBK times we finally have smth to cheer for. Personally not that huge supporter, but following the results, watch some games, especially since last season they've played in stadium easy to reach from my place with a bike, then have some beer with friends there. My real passion in football is Brazil NT since my childhood. Waiting for FIFA World Cups no less than some Eurobasket now

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Single team/club yes, in Europe that's more common fan culture, but single sport not so.
    I would argue that sports as such is not that important for young people anymore.
    Gaming , Youtube ,Netflix , Tik tok , snapchat etc , all this had overtaken sports as a main part of entertainment .
    I don't expect my kids to understand why one like me would start reading newspaper from the end at sport's section because they don't even know what's newspaper is anymore .

I am for sure haven't read for a while as well .
    As sad as it is .and that's coming from a person who have thought that some things are hereditary , this line ends with me .
    Oh well
    Not related to bb
    My boy is Oxford boy. My daughter is York girl.
    Seriously ,
    that's what i wanted to say .
    Last edited by auris1; 04-28-2021 at 04:07 AM.

The Streak That Nobody Noticed is over. 4 days ago Janavicius made all 8 two-pointers against Pieno Zvaigzdes and in game before that he made all 7 against Cbet. Today he made first 3 before missing floater. That's 18 straight 2pointers.
    Janavicius' 2pt shooting in last 7 games: 1/3 6/7 5/5 1/6 4/5 7/7 8/8 3/4. 34/42 81%

Exclamation

I've noticed that ˇygimantas Janavičius has started to carry Neptūnas to victories. We'll see whether that continues into the playoffs.

The signing of Deividas Gailius also seemed to spark the club. It's as if the signing was an indication that the team management still cared enough about winning to spend a bit of money, and it had a positive impact on the team's play.

adding Gailius changed Neptunas season. From being shamefully last in standings after 4 straight win Neptunas is trying to put late rally in standings.

But still is hard to watch when 4 all timers veterans Gailius,Mazeika,Janavicius,Galdikas scores 55pts of 83 in win against Lietkabelis. Neptunas signed few prommising young players and after all these minutes they got this season helps very little now, those same veterans must carry team and doing that without foreigners.

Gailius,Mazeika,Galdikas was main Neptunas players like in 2012 today is 2021 thats not right.

Neptunas and Siauliai how they play now can make possible 1/4 series vs Lietkabelis and Juventus way more interesting than it looked all season long.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 05-02-2021 at 07:00 AM.

Gailius,Mazeika,Galdikas was main Neptunas players like in 2012 today is 2021 thats not right.
    And year later Jankunas Milaknis and Lekavicius started same not right thing in Zalgiris. Copycats!

Kinda sad Vasylius, Butkevicius and Girdziunas can't be here
    Last edited by LuDux; 05-02-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    And year later Jankunas Milaknis and Lekavicius started same not right thing in Zalgiris. Copycats!

Kinda said Vasylius, Butkevicius and Girdziunas can't be here
    when u trying to look smart atleast check your data.

Lekavicius plays for main zalgiris team since 2014/2015 season.And he wasnt main player first few years.

And dont see Jankunas,Milaknis being main scorers for zalgiris in 2021 either as in my mentione examples.

So or u dont get my point or cant count pts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast