Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiba Basketball Champions League Final 8 - Athens 2020

Default Fiba Basketball Champions League Final 8 - Athens 2020

So, this tournament tips off tomorrow.

Going to be interesting to see how this works out. The official end to last season's competition played in the preparation period for the next one, with to fans present. Quite a few players on these teams are on short terms contracts also.

Turk Telekom and AEK look strong roster wise and the Spanish teams should be really competitive too. Anyone got any predictions?

Read really great things about Nymburg......Surprised they're dogs by so much on Thursday.....

AEK is the hosting team, but with no fans -8.5 seems a bit excessive....

Quote Originally Posted by Gman365 View Post
    Read really great things about Nymburg......Surprised they're dogs by so much on Thursday.....

AEK is the hosting team, but with no fans -8.5 seems a bit excessive....
    AEK won this competition a couple of years ago and were looking strong before last season ended so I can see why they would be the favourite. I don't know too much about Nymburk's current team but through the years they tend to be a pretty competitive team with good continuity between seasons.
    Like you say, AEK won't have the advantage of playing in front of fans, but they will have the bonus of being familiar with the arena, the court, rims etc. They have a very experienced roster but in a one off game at this time of year, maybe something unexpected could happen.

I'm not sure many would have expected Dijon to knock out Turk Telekom either.

Burgos with 35 three point attempts to take it home.....

They were ice cold ion the 1st quarter but they stayed true to what their identity is and it turned around for them......Congrats to them...

That's Maccabeo's type of team...He would love their coach...Lol

They were ice cold ion the 1st quarter but they stayed true to what their identity is and it turned around for them......Congrats to them...

Haha, true.

Tough one for AEK though.

They won the whole game with the same simple set. Drive and kick and AEK helpside was every time mistakenly overhelping Coach should really be asked some questions by the media for this and then the ongoing defending Cook under the block when he said "thank you" and barried it every time they did this. I never saw a worse game plan in a final EVER! But AEK played a very bad game in every aspect, as soon as Burgos began hitting at least something they were already beaten.

Tough night for the yellow-black oldies.

I couldnt watch the game because Fener vs. BJK was playing at the same time. How did Rokgavopoulos perform? He is one of 3 greek prospects i am interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastroika View Post
    They won the whole game with the same simple set. Drive and kick and AEK helpside was every time mistakenly overhelping Coach should really be asked some questions by the media for this and then the ongoing defending Cook under the block when he said "thank you" and barried it every time they did this. I never saw a worse game plan in a final EVER! But AEK played a very bad game in every aspect, as soon as Burgos began hitting at least something they were already beaten.

Tough night for the yellow-black oldies.
    Good eye on your part man....Good post.

Did notice that Cook did get some of his 3's just off a simple on ball screen.....The way the screens were set it's pretty hard not to briefly go under it for a second....Just enough time for him to get off a good enough look to score.....
    Last edited by Gman365; 10-05-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Didn't see a BCL thread for current season so thought I'd just bump this one.

AEK elimated from qualifying from this year's final 8 after losing to Turk Telekom. They seem to have had a lot of injuries recently and they lost Lojeski early into this game.

Any Greek posters here who can explain what has happened with Rogkavopoulos?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Didn't see a BCL thread for current season so thought I'd just bump this one.

AEK elimated from qualifying from this year's final 8 after losing to Turk Telekom. They seem to have had a lot of injuries recently and they lost Lojeski early into this game.

Any Greek posters here who can explain what has happened with Rogkavopoulos?
    Slightly off topic but do you think Unics has a chance against Virtus in the Eurocup ?

Slightly off topic but do you think Unics has a chance against Virtus in the Eurocup ?
    Haven't seen too much of UNICS, they have a pretty strong roster but Virtus will be tough in a series. Joventut pushed them pretty close in the Bologna though.

I'm not from Greece but Urbonas tweeted that Aek players didn't receive salaries last 3 months. So Rogkavapoulos obviously had enough of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I'm not from Greece but Urbonas tweeted that Aek players didn't receive salaries last 3 months. So Rogkavapoulos obviously had enough of that...
    Thanks! That would certainly explain it.

Thanks! That would certainly explain it.
    So you think Burgos is goin back to back or what man ?

Karsiyaka is in the final thanks to Onuralp Bitim. He made a crucial mistake by going to the rim with 92:89 if i am not mistaken but Zaragoza couldnt stand the last minutes and showed nerves. Great defense of Bitim but he is still unusable for the NT... too limited.

So you think Burgos is goin back to back or what man ?
    I only saw a bit of Burgos' game earlier but they looked pretty solid. I'm sure Toruko will be able to say more about Karsiyaka, but to defeat Zaragoza is pretty impressive.

I only saw a bit of Burgos' game earlier but they looked pretty solid. I'm sure Toruko will be able to say more about Karsiyaka, but to defeat Zaragoza is pretty impressive.
    Yessir! Watched both games and also the quarter finals.

Karsiyaka is probably the best defensive team in the tournament or lets say one of the top defensive teams. Offensively, they are too dependent. Just Henry and Taylor use 70% of all balls and if you are able to lock them it can really get messy for Karsiyaka. They survived chockings in the games with their great defense though.

Another point to worry is Semih Erden. Wiley ate him alive today. He is not only slow as hell, he also lacks effort and Raymar Morgan was very tired today.

Its a 51% to 49% thing. I see Burgos slightly ahead of Karsiyaka because they have really experienced guys who are used to play final games in in the CL but it will be a dogfight for sure.

Burgos 6 for 26 with the 3 ball and still win the game......That's crazy....

Back to back it is man !!!

Burgos 6 for 26 with the 3 ball and still win the game......That's crazy....

Back to back it is man !!!
    Both teams scored under 30 points each in the first half! Pretty low scoring game but even with the score so close, always felt that Burgos looked secure.
    Like you say, big achievement to repeat as champions. Especially when we consider how AEK were finalists last year and ended up not even making the final 8 this time.

Both teams scored under 30 points each in the first half! Pretty low scoring game but even with the score so close, always felt that Burgos looked secure.
    Like you say, big achievement to repeat as champions. Especially when we consider how AEK were finalists last year and ended up not even making the final 8 this time.
    Well let's see what they can do in the ACB playoffs now...Looks like they're getting Tenerife in the first round...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast