No announcement yet.

Future Wing Men of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are spot on , the things you're saying ( improve foot speed) continue to develop wing skills are exactly what I and Tab are encourage him to work on.
    I'm quite impressed with his mind for the game, when i first brought him , as a 14 year old I wasn't sure , then i saw how advance he was for a 14 year old in picking up things. Our coach who had a 12 year career in Euro league, gushed if he had the opportunity to coach him , he really would go far. ( his mind for the game isn't something you can teach) , kahit parang totoy yung behaviour (what do you expect he's just 14 or so , just turned 16) - tawa talaga ako sa reaction nya ( when i tell him to match up vs so and so who were like 4 or 5 years older than him, he literally was scared and wasn't sure and might get embarrased, i told him don't think about it, just play the game, no one is going to say you played bad , when they realize your just 14 years old.
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
      Well, the thing is, Mason Amos is athletic & I think he's athletic enough to get the job done. I don't think Mason really needs to match Seigle's leaping ability & bounce in order to be really effective for gilas. What Mason needs the most in my opinion is match (or perhaps come close to) Seigle's shooting & ball handling. It would even be better if Mason turns himself into a better wing defender than Seigle.

Honestly I'm not really that sold out on athleticism(not to say it isn't important). Skills & work ethic weigh more for me.
      first, did not say he will not be successful.True, athleticism is not really the gauge of ones success,however athleticism can be a gauge for one's marketability in the draft and even with college teams. He doesn't need to be Zach Lavigne or Derrick Jones jr., but someone who is a 6'6 or a bit taller small forward, he needs somehow to play above the rim to compete against players his age. Even the most unathletic guys like Luis Scola can dunk. If Mason could dunk with ease,the better.That's all what I'm trying to say. It would be a shame to see a very angry breakaway two handed reverse lay up for someone who is 6'6 small forward.

"How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

That's somewhat too much to ask for bro at this moment.

Maybe some 7 to 10 years from now, we'll see some prospects like that looming on the horizon.
        Maybe in 2027 and 2031. We may have multiple nba players that time.

I hope we could have a Danilo Gallinari type of Tall Wing Player

Comment

Calvin Oftana - 6-foot-5 playing as a "four" with San Beda but has qualities of a natural 3.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken Troy Rosario's PBA measurement is only around 6-foot-5 & 1/2.
          Yeah forgot about him. Hope he grow a little taller. And still improves

Comment

Mason is a perfect example of a fil foreigner where there is commitment and effort from both sides to develop the player to potentially represent Gilas, it's just fair that the Philippines benefits from the time and effort to develop the player (even if he's still overseas like the Edu's) , it has to be a two way thing, the Amos and Edu's as well took the effort and made the commitment to the Philippines .
            It really does not make sense if a player does nothing to secure his future elgibility to represent the country and says i'm too busy on my Div 1 career with the hope of making the NBA , and maybe if i fail to make it big in the US , i'll run to the Philippines to help me with a FIBA and PBA pro career. that's just silly..
            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

Id say swing but how about santillian? deceptively athletic 6'5.

Comment

The good thing with Mason's current exposure (watched his state finals yesterday) , he's exposed to good size and he does have the opportunity to handle the ball, (dribble and shoot 3's) and play the perimeter. I don't think he would be getting that type of exposure if were in high school in the Philippines..

Comment

The Philippines are slowly regaining the spotlight that once belonged to them: kings of Asian basketball. With the dynamic PBA and scouting and improvement programs, the National Team is reviving past success. Talk RP Basketball in our Philippines/PBA forum!

If you scroll to the bottom there is a small report on Dave Ildenfonso

Comment

Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                    The good thing with Mason's current exposure (watched his state finals yesterday) , he's exposed to good size and he does have the opportunity to handle the ball, (dribble and shoot 3's) and play the perimeter. I don't think he would be getting that type of exposure if were in high school in the Philippines..
                    Fortunately he got his passport. And stays with Australia.

Hard for me to say this, but philippines cannot develop like Australia. Even Ethan Kirkness improved in Australia, not in philippines.

Back to the thread, we have a lot of 6'6 Wings. We need to develop and exposed them

Comment

Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post

Hard for me to say this, but philippines cannot develop like Australia. Even Ethan Kirkness improved in Australia, not in philippines.

Back to the thread, we have a lot of 6'6 Wings. We need to develop and exposed them
                      BTW not to belittle Kirkness, but he actually did not play in city representative or a good school program in Queensland, (so he's not actually exposed to quality competition like Mason is), of course because of his size paid coaches are willing to help him in Australia, but this is different from exposure to level of competition

Comment

At 6’5 can play 3/4 still raw offense but still young

Comment

Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post

Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                          BTW not to belittle Kirkness, but he actually did not play in city representative or a good school program in Queensland, (so he's not actually exposed to quality competition like Mason is), of course because of his size paid coaches are willing to help him in Australia, but this is different from exposure to level of competition
                          and ethan doesn’t have quality games in him. very very limited.. for now geo chiu is ahead over ethan.. though geo spend time backing up kai with BG, he developed as a player as he was exposed himself playing against top teams in fiba..
                          Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post

At 6’5 can play 3/4 still raw offense but still young
                            he must fix his shot fast

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                              and ethan doesn’t have quality games in him. very very limited.. for now geo chiu is ahead over ethan.. though geo spend time backing up kai with BG, he developed as a player as he was exposed himself playing against top teams in fiba..
                              very sad for ethan.

at this rate, demisana and salvoro may surpassed him quick.

hope he improves. and be fully healed from his injury

Comment

Originally posted by balong View Post
                                he must fix his shot fast
                                Correct.

Even his FT % is paltry. But I'm impressed with his ball handling. Sometimes he is asked to help the point guard bring down the ball.
                                "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information