Future Wing Men of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
    I think kai’s camp already made it clear with their decisions lately. Priority 1 is the benefactors’s interests, 2 is gilas, 3 is nba. And you know what, I dont exactly disagree with this prioritization and in a way, all of these are kinda intertwined anyway. It’s a juggling act for sure, and its best if we are prepared to see some balls getting dropped (us ncaa, euro offers, ignite stint). They shouldn’t be a big deal as long as we see the bigger picture—which is nba and 2023 worldcup.
    Lol If you say so. Honestly, it still baffles me the NBA wasn't their top priority when it's like the biggest talking point throughout the kid's career since the U16 tourney.

I stand by my original stance: they should have taken the Euro offer but, yeah, it's not my decision to make.
    GILAS WISHLIST:
    6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
      Lol If you say so. Honestly, it still baffles me the NBA wasn't their top priority when it's like the biggest talking point throughout the kid's career since the U16 tourney.

I stand by my original stance: they should have taken the Euro offer but, yeah, it's not my decision to make.
      We should probably move this discussion to the correct thread. Thank you

Comment

The million dollar question is: do we have any new generation of coaches willing to adapt to the modern way of basketball?

If it's really proving difficult to get Tab or Dickel to handle the team, why has there not been any signs of technology transfer through the decade?
        One key is WINNING

IF THAT "MODERN WAY"can produce wins and championships.

That is what most coaches are paid to do.

Coach Tim is a VERY VERY VERY TRADITIONAL COACH. USING A DINOSAUR OLD PLAY LIKE TRIANGLE OFFENSE.

But as IPC said, even him adapted when he realized Greg is too slow and being abused.

He played Japeth as Center. And Go Small at 4 with JDV or Brownlee.

Coach Yeng was able to make his Not so talented lineups of Red Bull and Rain or Shine become champions, because he atleast have some Modern Sysyem, like Bigs needs to shoot threes.

Now, if SMB and Coach Leo Old Style of Dumping the ball to Junmar in the Post then surround him with shooters still reigns, then it will be a blueprint still.

AND THAT IS SO DUMB. IF YOU DONT HAVE A DOMINANT POSTUP PLAYER LIKE JMF, Just play faster.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
          Agreed with the system and culture. Good news is, we've been seeing PBA teams play wings at 4, and they still play as wings. Phoenix with Abueva, Ginebra with Arvin, Dillinger, and to an extent Aljon, and probably ROS with Borboran and Onwubere. Play taller wings as bigs instead of as 3rd wings, you might prove Tab's point. As for talented and skilled bigs, that should not be an issue as long as foreigners are there (at least at the collegiate and pro level; why the hell does the PBA have All-Filipino anyway?).

This should also generally be the system in the youth and collegiate level as well, unless you have a 6'6" above PF. At least that's my view.
          I think the key here is developing tall and skilled "bigs", and the rest of the positions will follow. I don't mind using a 6'7 - 6'8 wing as 4, but if your wings are 6'1 (Abueva), 6'2 (Mariano), 6'3 (Dillinger, Onwubere) or 6'4 (Arvin, Borboran), I don't think that's an improvement but a regression in terms of size. The norm should be, these 6'4 -6'6 wings should be playing their comfortable position as 3.

Comment

• I don't get why players don't want to drive straight at Junmar's face and draw fouls. Fajardo is a mediocre rim protector. He doesn't commit hard fouls. Take him out of the court with fouls.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by live_evil View Post
              I don't get why players don't want to drive straight at Junmar's face and draw fouls. Fajardo is a mediocre rim protector. He doesn't commit hard fouls. Take him out of the court with fouls.
              Good point bro. One thing I notice is that parang wala na halos magaling na slashers ngayon sa PBA. I mean compare today's PBA to the 90-s PBA. During the 90's you got Samboy Lim, Paul Alvarez, Vergel Meneses, Kenneth Duremdes, Jeff Cariaso, Johnny Abarrientos.

Right now parang si CJ Perez nalang ang magaling na slasher eh. Jayson Castro is no longer in his prime.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                Good point bro. One thing I notice is that parang wala na halos magaling na slashers ngayon sa PBA. I mean compare today's PBA to the 90-s PBA. During the 90's you got Samboy Lim, Paul Alvarez, Vergel Meneses, Kenneth Duremdes, Jeff Cariaso, Johnny Abarrientos.

Right now parang si CJ Perez nalang ang magaling na slasher eh. Jayson Castro is no longer in his prime.
                There were many of them in the 2000's:

Mark Caguioa
                JJ Helterbrand
                Willie Miller
                Jimmy Alapag
                James Yap
                Larry Fonacier
                Arwind Santos
                Gary David
                Ronald Tubid
                Lordy Tugade
                John Arigo
                Cyrus Baguio
                Joseph Yeo
                Ryan Arana
                Mac Cardona
                Attack
                defend
                Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post

I think some of the reasons of that are the abolishment of the “illegal defense rule” in the PBA and the constant using of zone defense in the amateur leagues(UAAP and NCAA)..
                  Last edited by tomcat; 03-01-2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                    There were many of them in the 2000's:

Mark Caguioa
                    JJ Helterbrand
                    Willie Miller
                    Jimmy Alapag
                    James Yap
                    Larry Fonacier
                    Arwind Santos
                    Gary David
                    Ronald Tubid
                    Lordy Tugade
                    John Arigo
                    Cyrus Baguio
                    Joseph Yeo
                    Ryan Arana
                    Mac Cardona
                    Cool list bro! Nakaka-miss yun dating PBA na mas balanse ang team lineups. By the way you only missed out PJ Simon, Alex Cabagnot, Ryan Reyes, Jimwell Torion and The Slasher himself Rodney Santos. In my opinion Arwind Santos was never a slasher. The guy can't even dribble drive without putting his head down. Hehe

Comment

• Originally posted by one21guns View Post
                      Cool list bro! Nakaka-miss yun dating PBA na mas balanse ang team lineups. By the way you only missed out PJ Simon, Alex Cabagnot, Ryan Reyes, Jimwell Torion and The Slasher himself Rodney Santos. In my opinion Arwind Santos was never a slasher. The guy can't even dribble drive without putting his head down. Hehe
                      Rodney Santos, arguably had the most aesthetically pleasing turn-around- fade way jumper in the PBA in the last 20 years or so. That shot was so good-looking you can compare his fade-way to Kobe Bryant's, or to the OG itself, MJ 's. (ooops. sorry. blasphemy)

"Arguably", because DonDon H. also had the goods and the TV-genic moves, tho he seldom post up

Comment

The million dollar question is: do we have any new generation of coaches willing to adapt to the modern way of basketball?

If it's really proving difficult to get Tab or Dickel to handle the team, why has there not been any signs of technology transfer through the decade?
                        I think it's because we didn't fully allow to let new ideas flourish. We're so impatient that we don't commit to these coaches who bring new/modern playing systems. When Toroman was hired, we didn't retain him so he could groom more younger players. After we failed to qualify for the London Olympics, we didn't retain his services.

I wonder how our basketball, esp our National Team would look like if we continued to hire him for his services.

Comment

For the Ignite fiasco.

Let's be real here: they didn't set Kai's priorities straight.

NBA or Gilas? They made their bed, so they should sleep on it. Pinili nila ang Gilas kaya mag-focus sila doon kung yon talaga.

No, I don't think Kai's NBA dreams are over but if we are to point fingers as to what caused his G-League implosion then it should be his handlers.

Everyone is just into having the kid to be the first Pinoy born NBA player,if only Ervin didn't signed up Kai with EWP,he would be playing for a top 25 NCAA school.He could stayed for 2-3 years,honing his skills with a patient coach,he will face NBA caliber bound players game in game out,and he will have games where he will dominate and that would just boost the kid's confidence and most importantly he will have the benefit of having a college education and the experience of even for a short brief time a normal college student,he can never duplicate those experience ever,they took away the kid's happy time.Now basketball is just work,to satify the agents,parents,and a country,someday he will ask,"what about me"?

Comment

• Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                            I think some of the reasons of that are the abolishment of the “illegal defense rule” in the PBA and the constant using of zone defense in the amateur leagues(UAAP and NCAA)..
                            Correct. The abolishment of the illegal defense rule in the PBA is a factor as it has become harder to drive or slash to the lane in a zone defense. Guys like Meneses & Alvarez thrived in 1 on 1 isolation plays that the illegal defense rule offered
                            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by one21guns View Post
                              Air21 Arwind Santos likes to slash. He was utilized by Bo as either 2 or 3 - swingman as he was actually partnered to Gary David and KG Canaleta to form the athletic trio of the team. No spiderman dunk for Arwind that time, just a simple lay-up or a dunk.

He did double pump layups in-game. It was in SMB that he was relegated to power forward slot and rely too much in three-point shots.
                              Attack
                              defend
                              Unite

Comment

• Wings. Lets get back to topic.

Wings is SG/SF

6'4" is my minimum height for a wing.

2023, maybe we are still lacking in SF position, but right after that our Young Tall Wings now will be ready in that time.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information