No announcement yet.

Future Wing Men of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys, I know its hard to make an assessment becoz we haven't seen much of his game but in your initial assessment, how do you see Cholo Anonuevo's potential? Could he be a taller version of Thirdy Ravena? Cholo & Thirdy share some things in common. They're both very athletic players & seem to play the same playing style as natural slasher. I just hope that Cholo's shooting would be better than Thirdy though.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
      Guys, I know its hard to make an assessment becoz we haven't seen much of his game but in your initial assessment, how do you see Cholo Anonuevo's potential? Could he be a taller version of Thirdy Ravena? Cholo & Thirdy share some things in common. They're both very athletic players & seem to play the same playing style as natural slasher. I just hope that Cholo's shooting would be better than Thirdy though.
      He is more of a defensive player imo.

But offensively, judging with few clips of him on us. I think he improved his dribbling and playmaking.

I dont think hos shooting improve much. So, I feel he will just score using his slashing abilities again

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
        He is more of a defensive player imo.

But offensively, judging with few clips of him on us. I think he improved his dribbling and playmaking.

I dont think his shooting improve much
        . So, I feel he will just score using his slashing abilities again
        He's still young though (20 or 21) so his shooting may still improve, hopefully. What's more important for me is that Cholo's ball handling & defense seems decent enough for a 2-guard/shooting guard.
        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

He's still young though (20 or 21) so his shooting may still improve, hopefully. What's more important for me is that Cholo's ball handling & defense seems decent enough for a 2-guard/shooting guard.
          If he becomes a taller version of RJ (the way I see it, RJ's more of a shooting/scoring guard than a true point guard, sort of a Jason Castro lite version), then it's more than good enough for me. Too bad though, there's a huge possibility of him not joining the upcoming February qualifying window due to the looming UAAP season in Q1 of next year. We'll be forced to wait to see what he can actually bring to Gilas on June pa.

Comment

• If only Thirdy will have the shooting of a Vergel Meneses, the former would become a more potent profesional & national team player. Well, I just hope Thirdy will continue to improve his shooting as time goes on. He's only 24 so he has not yet reached his peak.

Comment

• Let's hope he can play as a solid wing or even as a combo guard.

The worse that can happen is he becomes another undersized stretch four or center. Follow your brothers Jordi and go overseas after UST.
              GILAS WISHLIST:
              6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                Let's hope he can play as a solid wing or even as a combo guard.

The worse that can happen is he becomes another undersized stretch four or center. Follow your brothers Jordi and go overseas after UST.
                Sherwin Concepcion and Ira Bataller are still the main fours in UST's rotation, I assume. Plus, Abando left, meaning there's an open spot for 3. I hope that means Jordi can play more as a wing.

If he's a four, it's fine if he's allowed to operate from the perimeter, apart from stretch four duties. Make him a true small ball four, which is a wing. A player in the mold of Navarro and Oftana.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                  Because of the rise of modern basketball, Post Up Players can only be given enough touches if they are very good to exceptional post players. Ex. JMF.

Junmar played alongside 6'6-6'10 Imports. Millsap, Balkman, Cmac. Because JMF is an exceptional Post up player (pba wise)

As for college bigs, If they are 6'4-6'5, I prefer them to have a playstyle like Kobe Paras or Oftana. Unless they are also EXCEPTIONAL like Ping and Ali Peek (who are effective post players despite their height)

As for 6'9 and above Bigs in College. I am with Jamskie. It is a welcome sight that they are having modern skills. But they should not forget how to use their size at the post
                  I also hope Kobe, Oftana, and Navarro will be the general rule for 6'4"-6'5" players. However, an issue will arise wherein the 6'4"-6'5" player is the tallest in the team.

If that's the case, that can be resolved by playing a system where everyone can move around the perimeter and attack from the perimeter. Train everyone as perimeter players, including the tallest guys. This should help the 6'4"-6'5" players develop into guys who play smaller positions, in this case wings.

Note: the system is only for development purposes, not for use in higher-level competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
                    Note: the system is only for development purposes, not for use in higher-level competition.
                    Problem is, high school, college & amateur team coaches in Phi basketball always go for the win. Development, more often than not, has to take a backseat.

Comment

• Its really nice to see the somewhat proliferation of good size wings like Kobe Paras, Dwight Ramos, Calvin Oftana, William Navarro, Ken Tuffin. Kahit paunti-unti, at least we can see a somewhat good future in these good size wingmen. Waiting in the wings are the likes of Francis Lopez, Caelum Harris, Mason Amos, Luke Tobias, Cholo Anonuevo, & other good size Fil-foreign wingmen currently in the US.

Comment

Problem is, high school, college & amateur team coaches in Phi basketball always go for the win. Development, more often than not, has to take a backseat.
                        Case in point: Goldwyn Monteverde in NU. Monteverde got to develop Tamayo and Kevin Quiambao as potential wings only because he could afford to. NU was a winning program in the UAAP juniors.

Ateneo HS also developed Josh Lazaro and Lebron Lopez to be potential wings as well.

Looks like here, you have to be absolutely dominant in order to have a good pathway to development.

Comment

Case in point: Goldwyn Monteverde in NU. Monteverde got to develop Tamayo and Kevin Quiambao as potential wings only because he could afford to. NU was a winning program in the UAAP juniors.

Ateneo HS also developed Josh Lazaro and Lebron Lopez to be potential wings as well.

Looks like here, you have to be absolutely dominant in order to have a good pathway to development.
                          Recruitment is the key. You'd be amaze how deep and how many teams HS powerhouses have. And most of star players played for the same team.

Comment

Great points. Sadly, kailangan muna ng isang team to have a decisive edge in talents over the rest of the field before the coach can afford to put emphasis on development. Still kudos to coach Goldwyn & the coach of Ateneo high school team for putting emphasis on player development & not just winning.

On the other hand SMB had enjoyed decisive edge over most PBA teams in terms of talent, yet Leo Austria never bothered to develop Junmar into a versatile center who can shoot from mid-range, & defend the pick & roll well. Kahit ba sabihin nating PBA is already a professional league in which winning is the No. 1 priority, still player development should be a goal. What Austria did to Fajardo is compel him na magpalaki ng katawan & power his way inside the paint against the shorter & lanky bigs of the opponents. Ayan tuloy, when faced against equally tall, strong & skilled bigs in FIBA basketball, nangamote si Junmar in most games.

Comment

Great points. Sadly, kailangan muna ng isang team to have a decisive edge in talents over the rest of the field before the coach can afford to put emphasis on development. Still kudos to coach Goldwyn & the coach of Ateneo high school team for putting emphasis on player development & not just winning.

On the other hand SMB had enjoyed decisive edge over most PBA teams in terms of talent, yet Leo Austria never bothered to develop Junmar into a versatile center who can shoot from mid-range, & defend the pick & roll well. Kahit ba sabihin nating PBA is already a professional league in which winning is the No. 1 priority, still player development should be a goal. What Austria did to Fajardo is compel him na magpalaki ng katawan & power his way inside the paint against the shorter & lanky bigs of the opponents. Ayan tuloy, when faced against equally tall, strong & skilled bigs in FIBA basketball, nangamote si Junmar in most games.
                              Based on Coach Leo coaching years, he has allowed big man to shoot and create offense from perimeter.. Like Bono, Mamaclay, Rois, JDV, JR Reyes and now Tantuau. As stated before JF the one who won't stop eating rice until he got injured. And JF is not as mobile really to defend PnR and make offense from the perimeter.

Comment

Its really nice to see the somewhat proliferation of good size wings like Kobe Paras, Dwight Ramos, Calvin Oftana, William Navarro, Ken Tuffin. Kahit paunti-unti, at least we can see a somewhat good future in these good size wingmen. Waiting in the wings are the likes of Francis Lopez, Caelum Harris, Mason Amos, Luke Tobias, Cholo Anonuevo, & other good size Fil-foreign wingmen currently in the US.
                                Someday, more FIBA-eligible good-sized wings will come, whether local-born or abroad-based. Hopefully, we can develop them as such. If they are to play the 4, time to embrace small-ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information