No announcement yet.

Future Wing Men of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope Basti Reyes decides to enroll in an NCAA div. 1 school in the US in the near future where his wingman skills like handles, outside shooting & perimeter defense would be polished very well. I heard the kid is around 6-foot-6 to 6-foot-7 right now & is playing as a small forward. Hope he never plays as a big man.

Gilas having a 6-7/6-8 natural small forward would be unprecented. Imagine a 6-foot-7/6-foot-8 version of Rayray Parks. That would be mouth-watering. I can't wait for that time to come
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
      Luke Tobias to Eastwest private.

Atleast Luke is sure eligible

Luke at 6'6 can be a Good Wing for us. Maybe he can be a Taller and More Consistent Matthew Wright. Hopefully
      Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
      That's nice. Tobias' handles & outside shooting are expected to be polished well in East West Private.

I'll take a 6-foot-6 version of Matt Wright in any battle anytime.
      Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
      Hope Basti Reyes decides to enroll in an NCAA div. 1 school in the US in the near future where his wingman skills like handles, outside shooting & perimeter defense would be polished very well. I heard the kid is around 6-foot-6 to 6-foot-7 right now & is playing as a small forward. Hope he never plays as a big man.

Gilas having a 6-7/6-8 natural small forward would be unprecented. Imagine a 6-foot-7/6-foot-8 version of Rayray Parks. That would be mouth-watering. I can't wait for that time to come
      These two would be nice successors for Gabe in terms of having a 6'6"-above wing. Hope they have great careers as wings. Kids would look up to them. Hopefully our taller kids would aspire to play from the perimeter and work more on mobility and perimeter skills.

Maybe Jeff Napa will take the hint and play Basti as a wing.

Comment

• So in the Future we will have

Kobe Paras - 6'6"

Basti Reyes - 6'6"

Lebron Lopez - 6'6"

Luke Tobias - 6'6"

Lowell Briones JR - 6'6"

Mason Amos - 6'6"-6'7"

And Hopefully Caelum - 6'6"

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
          Javi should follow how Don2 Hontiveros plays.. A 6'4-6'5 Hontiveros is a good wing in FIBA standards.. While Navarro should follow how Chris Lutz plays.. Not too much familiar on his game but hope that he's better than Lutz.. While Kobe naman, I want him atleast a good wing defender.. kahit di na gaano umiskor, But to play defense against some best Asian SF's will be his calling card.. Another i want is Parks, But i hope Parks will commit to us.. Tab should talk to Parks and his agent to be commited long term to Gilas.. He has that tools to be great 3 and D guy.. A Parks - Ramos combo in FIBA is very deadly in Asia
          Dondon mightve been overshadowed by the Filfors but he was a pretty good two way wing. Was it the Fiba Asia when he and other has beens and 3rd rate PBA talent were led by Tab to a silver? He was close to retiring by then but still a good indvidual and team defender. He knew his role as an outside threat and though there were more misses than makes he spaced the floor well and had one game when he made 20 pts IRC.

You could say his game was tailorfit for the Fiba and IMO better than James Yap. He was better off the ball and was a better defender.

Comment

It's not us that have problems with wingmen or so called SF's, even Chinese basketball has dealing problems now who will be their next great SF in this era.. Their best SF right now Ding Yanyuhang dealing with injuries.. Atleast us we have found a gem in Dwight Ramos.. But we still need to find more than that..

http://www.chinanews.com/ty/2020/12-08/9356727.shtml
            Fangbo Zeng is a good candidate. There are a lot of 6'6-6'8 guys in China that are decent players.Even Abu could play small forward for a couple of minutes i dont see it as really a problem.
            "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
              Dondon mightve been overshadowed by the Filfors but he was a pretty good two way wing. Was it the Fiba Asia when he and other has beens and 3rd rate PBA talent were led by Tab to a silver? He was close to retiring by then but still a good indvidual and team defender. He knew his role as an outside threat and though there were more misses than makes he spaced the floor well and had one game when he made 20 pts IRC.

You could say his game was tailorfit for the Fiba and IMO better than James Yap. He was better off the ball and was a better defender.
              Agree with this. Hontiveros may not be as explosive a shooter as an All Caidic but as you said, Hontiveros being a two way player who was useful both in offense & defense is what made him a valuable National team wingman. I rate him as among the elite wingmen to ever play for the national team. Fact is, even when he was already beyond his prime, coach Tab still recruited him in Gilas on 2015 (a time when guys like Jeff Chan, Paul Lee, Tenorio, Japeth, Junmar were not available for national team service). I think coach Tab picked Dondon becoz of his offensive & defensive capabilities. Offense wise, I see nothing special with Dondon. But unlike fellow National team wingmen Caidic, Samboy Lim, Duremdes, Chan, Paul Lee (who are all potent scorers/shooters), Dondon excelled in the defensive end. I think that's what really made him serviceable for the National team.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• ^ ^ ^ ^
                Among our young players, I see Dwight Ramos as having the potential to become a two-way wingman just like Dondon Hontiveros was. But I think Ramos would be an upgrade to Hontiveros considering that the former is about 2 to 3 inches taller than the latter.

Comment

Yeah.. They have, But how about skillset? Maybe they thinking how they can match up on Hachimura...They admit that current line up of China can't beat Japan w/ Hachimura..
                  Like any young player, they need some transition time for them to get used to play in the senior team. Against Hachimura, of course it will be difficult not only for the Chinese but for some teams who are not playing in the NBA(even Australian NBL guys).The key is not to get star strucked and to be as competitive as possible. Give this kid Fangbo Zeng and he may even be the next Chinese kid in the NBA.His progress of course will be all depending on his dedication to become a great player.
                  "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
                    centers/power forward usually compose 5(3 centers,2 power forwards) out of the 12 players in the team, so there are 7 players left.In our case usually there are 2-3 point guards and the rest are Shooting guards/small forwards. That would mean that to be competitive height wise, we must at least have 5 players who are 6'8 and above,probably 2 are 6 feet or a bit taller and the rest is above 6'4(if that is our ideal height for a Shooting guard.Most Europeans may have 6'6 Shooting guards as an average and the small forwards are obviously taller.I think we should aim for the same(although easier said than done) or maybe closer.Now that kids are getting taller,out standard for Shooting guard after 2023 should be 6'5 and above.6'7 guys should have both wing and post skills
                    For now, let's be content that we have 6'4-6'6" players playing the wing positions. Right now, 6'5"-6'6" players can play the 4, so long as they can be a 3rd wing instead of a 2nd big (although the 4 can be a 3-4 tweener). Ala Oftana, Navarro, Kobe, and Javi.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                      Speaking of length, I think one key in beating Korea is to have good length specially in the wings. Tall & good length wings is essential in disruption Korea's vaunted passing game. The way I see it, the Koreans get their shooting & offense going thru their crisp passing. So the key is to disrupt & clog the passing lane with good length players, specially the wingmen. Guys like Dwight Ramos, Oftana, Navarro & Javi GDL would be the key here.

I think as we get taller & better length wings in our nat'l team, mas taas chance natin to beat korea in a regular basis, hopefully. Of course, we get taller without trading off quickness, mobility & flexibility.

I believe the taller & better length wings would come from our teen players like Basti Reyes, Francis Lopez, Cholo Anonuevo, as well as those Fil-am players currently in their teens like Tobias, Caleum Harris(hope they are eligible).
                      Tobias is eligible. Yeah, hopefully we can keep getting taller wings.

Comment

• Originally posted by wnox
                        This is a big man thread why we talking about Kobe?
                        Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                        Because he's a 4 now.
                        Being a wing and a 4 aren't exactly mutually exclusive. In fact, that's what our system should be working towards. However, Kobe's more like a tweener than a wing.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
                          Being a wing and a 4 aren't exactly mutually exclusive. In fact, that's what our system should be working towards. However, Kobe's more like a tweener than a wing.
                          Kobe now reminds me of former Red Lion Mychole Sorela. Tall athletic guy with no reliable skills really but likes to see himself as a wing. He was throwing wild shots and was really erratic his first few years until he learned to do the dirty work. He still sucked though but at least we didn't have to watch him brick shots and commit turnovers.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                            Kobe now reminds me of former Red Lion Mychole Sorela. Tall athletic guy with no reliable skills really but likes to see himself as a wing. He was throwing wild shots and was really erratic his first few years until he learned to do the dirty work. He still sucked though but at least we didn't have to watch him brick shots and commit turnovers.
                            Well Kobe is certainly not a 4,if only he was patient enough to stay with Creighton even with limited minutes,they would have him playing the 3 and probably a big 2 in limited minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARMIR View Post
                              Well Kobe is certainly not a 4,if only he was patient enough to stay with Creighton even with limited minutes,they would have him playing the 3 and probably a big 2 in limited minutes.
                              He's a bad 3 and can't play the 2. You have to play him in a position he can succeed. He isn't really a good basketball player at the moment. He should have but he didn't. He's made a lot of head scratching decisions including skipping this window and partying.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARMIR View Post
                                Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                                He's a bad 3 and can't play the 2. You have to play him in a position he can succeed. He isn't really a good basketball player at the moment. He should have but he didn't. He's made a lot of head scratching decisions including skipping this window and partying.
                                But where will he succeed internationally? He's had success in the UAAP playing the 4, and that didn't translate as well in the international scene, even against Thailand.

He's become a tweener now, and not the good kind. Hopefully he can get his act together. Oftana and Navarro look like more solid options as an SF or a 3rd-wing PF.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information