Future Wing Men of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
    And homegrown Rhenz Abando who plays bigger than his size. He is 6'2 just like Marcio Lassiter..
    I dont know if Abando is just very lean but he seem taller than Thirdy who is listed at 6'3. He's definitely not as tall as Suerte who is 6'2. My guess he is around 6'3 and 1/2 to 6'4.Maybe 6'4 and a 1/2 to 6'5 with shoes.

"How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
      I dont know if Abando is just very lean but he seem taller than Thirdy who is listed at 6'3. He's definitely not as tall as Suerte who is 6'2. My guess he is around 6'3 and 1/2 to 6'4.Maybe 6'4 and a 1/2 to 6'5 with shoes.

I dont think thirdy is 6'3. He is 6'2 at best.

So maybe Rhenz is about 6'3-6'4.

No way he is 6'5. Kobe Paras is a lot taller than him

Comment

Originally posted by analyzed View Post
        That's Dwight Ramos- pair him up with Clarkson and we're good.

I think though a combo forward who can play small ball 4 is what we're lacking . Again to be realistic we can't hope to get a Giannis or Tatum type but i think a Crowder type is plausible. ( not soft , can decently rebound and shoot )
        Sir. I saw a lot in your post that you are downgrding Kobe Paras, and hyping up Dwight Ramos

You said Kobe can't guard world level SFs? But do you think Dwight can????

Hope so.

But I still see Kobe Paras to be included atleast in the pool

Comment

Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
          Sir. I saw a lot in your post that you are downgrding Kobe Paras, and hyping up Dwight Ramos

You said Kobe can't guard world level SFs? But do you think Dwight can????

Hope so.

But I still see Kobe Paras to be included atleast in the pool
          It's not about that, Dwight is a natural FIBA wing offensively and defensively, Kobe is not, he's more of a combo forward, Kobe may even be a better defender at the 4 spot over Dwight due to his vertical and shot blocking, he does have more length than Dwight
          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
          https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

It's not about that, Dwight is a natural FIBA wing offensively and defensively, Kobe is not, he's more of a combo forward, Kobe may even be a better defender at the 4 spot over Dwight due to his vertical and shot blocking, he does have more length than Dwight
            Agreed.

But I am asking if Dwight can defend World level SF?

He wi be our best perimeter defender ala norwood right.

What is his true height? Is 6'5 accurate? Or 6'6?

I am hoping Dwight can be an elite world level elite defender

Comment

Remains to be seen if he is Norwood level defensively (I, don't think he is), but of the 6'5 ish eligible players we have he is indeed one of quicker lateral players we have and conformable ball handlers and passers(quite simple there not many 6'5 Pinoys who have guard like skills, note I'm not referring to scoring level)
              NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

To further emphasize how 4s are used now, if Brownlee somehow gets naturalized, he will be our main 4, not our 3. Our 4/5 rotation will essentially be Kai, AJ and Brownlee (regardless of Brownlee's hight or if he's listed as SF, yes we will be playing a SF at the 4 as most FIBA teams do anyway, this is nothing new

Comment

To further emphasize how 4s are used now, if Brownlee somehow gets naturalized, he will be our main 4, not our 3. Our 4/5 rotation will essentially be Kai, AJ and Brownlee (regardless of Brownlee's hight or if he's listed as SF, yes we will be playing a SF at the 4 as most FIBA teams do anyway, this is nothing new
                  Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this.

How will a 6-foot-4 & 1/2 Brownlee defend 6-foot-8/6-foot-9 natural "fours"? You seem to over emphasize speed, mobility & dexterity & seem to forget that basketball is still a tall man's game.
                  "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Remains to be seen if he is Norwood level defensively (I, don't think he is), but of the 6'5 ish eligible players we have he is indeed one of quicker lateral players we have and conformable ball handlers and passers(quite simple there not many 6'5 Pinoys who have guard like skills, note I'm not referring to scoring level)
                    Lets say Dwight's defense would be slightly inferior compared to Norwood. I'm confident Dwight is a significantly better offensive player than Norwood. That's good enough for me.
                    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                      Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this.

How will a 6-foot-4 & 1/2 Brownlee defend 6-foot-8/6-foot-9 natural "fours"? You seem to over emphasize speed, mobility & dexterity & seem to forget that basketball is still a tall man's game.
                      It isn't about match ups, but who are the available players who can best play 4, and that would be both AJ and Brownlee (no choice) it's not like we have an abundance of versatile tall 4s

Comment

Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                        Agreed.

But I am asking if Dwight can defend World level SF?

He wi be our best perimeter defender ala norwood right.

What is his true height? Is 6'5 accurate? Or 6'6?

I am hoping Dwight can be an elite world level elite defender
                        I think we should adjust our point of view when it comes to the world cup. At Asian level Dwight can be competitive at the 3 spot, maybe not against NZ , Australia and Japan's NBA players. But Against Iran,at least he could move his feet better than Rosario. Against athletic 6'8 players? Its a different story, thats why we need to develop Lebron Lopez (I think he's 6'6 now) and get those 15 year old, 6'7 Filipino-Americans a passport before its too late. I'm not saying Kobe has more skills than Dwight but I think Kobe has more length and hops,I'd like to see Dwight play more of a 2 and play 3, only when needed.

"How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

Why we have always a misconception that when our opponents are taller than us, we need to match them with height?

The chances that the opposing wing or guards will post you up is very low. They will most likely get a score in drives and outside.

While additional length is a plus, a player also needs to have good lateral movements and good defensive instincts. These are the must not solely the length.

You go, taller than your usual, you go out of your playing style, you depart on your strength.
                          Last edited by ja.he; 09-25-2020, 09:30 AM.
                          Attack
                          defend
                          Unite

Comment

we shouldn't be overactiving trying to match up in size , which i think is exaggerated , really , a bigger concern is matching up in terms cohesion, system , ball movement etc..
                            the emphasis is simply putting the best talent on the floor that compliment each other, not matching up in terms of height

unless we naturalize via congress , there is no doubt the best complimentary 2/3 combo is Clarkson and Dwight , i really don't care what they're height 's are , and it's not like they're small..
                            obviously our best big talents are Kai and AJ, so they will get playing time, but of course they can't play the whole game, and as the center position is simply cirtical for Gilas to compete, AJ simply needs to back-up Kai at times, of course they will play together ( but they need relief) , so a missing piece is a combo forward , espcecially in today's game. and if that best talent is Kobe, Troy or whoreve by default use them , now if Brownlee is naturalized , then by all means play him as the 4 alternating with AJ

Comment

Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                              Why we have always a misconception that when our opponents are taller than us, we need to match them with height?

The chances that the opposing wing or guards will post you up is very low. They will most likely get a score in drives and outside.

While additional length is a plus, a player also needs to have good lateral movements and good defensive instincts. These are the must not solely the length.

You go, taller than your usual, you go out of your playing style, you depart on your strength.
                              IMO, being taller doesnt neccrsarily mean you need and will post up.

Why we cant stop Gallanari threes. Isnt it because he is too tall to be bothered by closedout of our small players.

Same thing with Serbian Players

Being taller also makes easier drives and outside shooting

Thats why we need to be atleast respectable in height. Really A 6'2-6'3 Pogoy as SG/SF?

Comment

relying on skill alone will not cut it, you need height. at the end of the day, basketball is a tall man's game. Look at how Zhou Qi impacted the game during the Asian games even if we had Clarkson. Our locals were missing easy shots that they would normally make. Exceptions to this would be our ineligibles like Christian and Stanley who are used to playing with opponents with size.

During the last Worlds, Barroca who is very skilled was pathetic, being bullied by the taller players.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information