Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Wing Men of Philippine Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    d problem with caidic and our pba players is that they did not participate regularly in regional competitions, up until d time of eala where participating in qualifiers for olympics and world championships became d norm. so it is difficult to compare. and even for d asian games, they only started competing in 1990 when professionals were finally allowed to play.

if we will not factor regularity of participation and based d assessment on production, impact, and success for every tournaments participated in, he's among d best wingmen in asia.

for one, he won as mvp of fiba asia cup (then known in a different name) when he starred to help our team win d 1986 asian championship.

he was also our star player in d asian games in 1986 (bronze), 1990 (silver), 1994 (4th) and served as veteran backup in 1998 (bronze).

if pba players played in ABC in 1991, 1993 and 1995, we could have had a great shot to play in d 1992 and 1996 olympics and 1994 world championships because it was caidic's best years (1990 to 1995) and there were two slots for asian teams then for d olympics.
    Correct bro. After the disbandment of the the RP-NCC team in 1986, Caidic had limited international game exposure. Parang it has become a once in every 4 years nalang yung participation ni Caidic sa national team (during Asian Games na lang) as the PBA had not participated in FIBA tournaments (then known as the ABC championships) until the mid-2000's when Noli Eala became the PBA commissioner.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by BJ_Reloaded View Post
    Is this the same game wherein the current ABAP executive Sir Ed Picson who use to work as a PBA analyst before keeps on interpreting the finger pointing gesture of a Korean coach everytime the Hitman is on the court, that classic one liner " Ito ang Buwesit sa Buhay ko eh", how I wish one off these days Mr. Sev Sarmemta and Mr. Ed Picson works in a basketball game as an analyst and provide us those classic rib tickling sense of humor the old fashion way, Well some of you may consider it as corny and non sense but most of the time their on the game sense of humor is just hilarious.
    Parang yung game yata yun ng Phi Centennial team vs. South Korea in the 1998 Jones Cup in which Ed Picson made that ad lib. I'm not sure. But I think such ad lib was meant to imply how familiar opposing teams' coaches are about what Caidic can do in a game.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Correct bro. After the disbandment of the the RP-NCC team in 1986, Caidic had limited international game exposure. Parang it has become a once in every 4 years nalang yung participation ni Caidic sa national team (during Asian Games na lang) as the PBA had not participated in FIBA tournaments (then known as the ABC championships) until the mid-2000's when Noli Eala became the PBA commissioner.
    I wondered why BAP and PBA doesn't join FIBA competitions before? They already know that FIBA Asia cup (formerly ABC) is much bigger deal compare to Asian games... This is one of the what if scenarios in Philippine basketball history...

Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    I wondered why BAP and PBA doesn't join FIBA competitions before? They already know that FIBA Asia cup (formerly ABC) is much bigger deal compare to Asian games... This is one of the what if scenarios in Philippine basketball history...
    ^ As Tab has said in Eric Menk's podcast, Philippine Basketball has become insular. He said that we became successful, we stopped looking outward. In short, mejo naging narcissistic tayo. Lol

That's becoz BAP & PBA didn't get along well during the 80's, 90's & mid-2000's (its even an understatement). To simply put it, PBA-BAP relationship during the 90's & early 2000's was as worst as you can imagine. BAP was run by extremely incompetent people & Phi basketball was in turmoil during BAP's reign. I think PBA deliberately didn't cooperate with BAP becoz of the former's disdain with the latter. This paved the way for the move by basketball stakeholders to dissolve the BAP & replaced it with a new basketball governing body which is now known as the SBP.

While SBP & PBA's relationship hasn't really been that harmonious either, the PBA-BAP relationship was lot lot worse.

Simply put, PBA doesn't want to spend / commit to tournaments that run smack in the middle of the PBA season. The 1990 Asian Games was scheduled around the time the PBA was the in the middle of the season, and attendance faltered because its star players were with the NT. Back then, BAP relied on hugot system, as they, dont really have a program to start with. (amateurs and collegiate players are with the UAAP and NCAA, pros are of course, in the PBA) , BAP dont have the finances to form a team, they rely only on sponsors (usually from shady characters like Go Teng Kok). The PBA only offered to form a team once every 4 years, and with conditions that they have full autonomy of its operations.

There's a thousand volume of books written about PBA's hatred of BAP, specifically against their past stupid presidents Lito Puyat, and later the Chinese triad headed by Graham Lim and Go Teng Kok. In fact, PBA was born to break-away from Lito Puyat's authoritarian rule as federation president. Since the beginning, PHL basketball is plagued by incompetent people.

Ano ba napapala ng PBA for not having an off season?

And ah, the BAP. They were the reason why FIBA suspended us in the mid 2000s

Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    Simply put, PBA doesn't want to spend / commit to tournaments that run smack in the middle of the PBA season. The 1990 Asian Games was scheduled around the time the PBA was the in the middle of the season, and attendance faltered because its star players were with the NT. Back then, BAP relied on hugot system, as they, dont really have a program to start with. (amateurs and collegiate players are with the UAAP and NCAA, pros are of course, in the PBA) , BAP dont have the finances to form a team, they rely only on sponsors (usually from shady characters like Go Teng Kok). The PBA only offered to form a team once every 4 years, and with conditions that they have full autonomy of its operations.

There's a thousand volume of books written about PBA's hatred of BAP, specifically against their past stupid presidents Lito Puyat, and later the Chinese triad headed by Graham Lim and Go Teng Kok. In fact, PBA was born to break-away from Lito Puyat's authoritarian rule as federation president. Since the beginning, PHL basketball is plagued by incompetent people.
    The Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) in a nutshell. Just look at the sorry state of other sports in our country.
    ⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

Parang yung game yata yun ng Phi Centennial team vs. South Korea in the 1998 Jones Cup in which Ed Picson made that ad lib. I'm not sure. But I think such ad lib was meant to imply how familiar opposing teams' coaches are about what Caidic can do in a game.
    Well such a classic one...do you have any link on that particular game? I really miss that one liner..thanks bro.

Quote Originally Posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    The Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) in a nutshell. Just look at the sorry state of other sports in our country.
    If not for the private sector, we'd probably rank 100 in basketball. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by BJ_Reloaded View Post
    Well such a classic one...do you have any link on that particular game? I really miss that one liner..thanks bro.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlqIx5iRTpc

At 56:06 is Ed Picson's adlib about Caidic & the South Korean coach

You want to watch some of the games of the past RP teams? Just visit Allan Caidic youtube channel or Rodil Raymundo youtube channel & feel the nostalgia
    Last edited by JAMSKIE; 05-12-2021 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    TBH I've never watched prime Caidic play. Isn't he mostly know for his shooting?
    This game would give you an idea why much hype has been given to Allan Caidic & why he's being regarded as perhaps the best 3-pt. shooter Phi basketball has ever produced. Kahit first half lang panoorin mo brad, you will understand why Caidic earned the moniker "Triggerman".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VInMzUgvwHs

This game would give you an idea why much hype has been given to Allan Caidic & why he's being regarded as perhaps the best 3-pt. shooter Phi basketball has ever produced. Kahit first half lang panoorin mo brad, you will understand why Caidic earned the moniker "Triggerman".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VInMzUgvwHs
    let him watch d second half. it is where we were pummeled

btw, sun jun and hu weidong of china were among d top wings in asia in d 90s to early 2000s.

hu, like allan, won an mvp in fiba asia cup (abc then).

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    6'5 Elie Mechantaf(the face of Lebanon basketball before Fadi El-Khatib)

6'4 Cheng Chi-lung(Loach Dragon)

6'6 Michael Takahashi

6'6 Hu Weidong

6'6 Sun Jun

6'7 Ma Jian
    Ma Jian's stint with the Chinese national team was just short. So as Michael Takahashi's stint with the Japanese national team. I mean limited lang yung mga FIBA tournaments na pinaglaruan ni Takahashi. I'll put Korea's Moon Kyung Eun over Ma Jian.

btw, sun jun and hu weidong of china were among d top wings in asia in d 90s to early 2000s.

Hahaha! Masakit kasi panoorin yung second half bro

But watching Caidic shoot those 3's in the 1st half, one may think Caidic should have made it to the NBA.

Hahaha! Masakit kasi pannorin yung second half bro

But watching Caidic shoot those 3's in the 1st half, one may think Caidic should have made it to the NBA.
    he's 6'4 with shoes. and in d pba, he can actually score on drives. so yeah, possibly. certainly a better player than tabuse and sun yue.

Hu Weidong was like a 6-foot-5 Allan Caidic, though I believe in terms of shooting explosiveness, Caidic was still better. Grabe ang nagagawa ni Caidic pag nag-init yung kamay nya eh.

I can't help but ask, kailan kaya tayo magkakaroon ng 6-foo-5/6-foot-6 shooting guard like Hu Weidong?

Hu Weidong was like a 6-foot-5 Allan Caidic, though I believe in terms of shooting explosiveness, Caidic was still better. Grabe ang nagagawa ni Caidic pag nag-init yung kamay nya eh.

I can't help but ask, kailan kaya tayo magkakaroon ng 6-foo-5/6-foot-6 shooting guard like Hu Weidong?
    hu played more sf than sg since china had wu qinglong, zhang jingsong, and li nan among others to play sg.

kahit 6'6 small forward na slasher with range ok na since we did not see much of seigle.

Hu Weidong is a 6'6" Kenneth Duremdes..

Javi de Lliaño and Calvin Oftana have a shot. Their ranges in the last window were very good.
    ⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast