French Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Prospects

Is VICTOR MEMBANYAMA a real deal prospect? I've seen him a bit in Kaunas Youth EL tournament, and watched the recent exhibition game against Chalons - Reims. He is super lengthy (7'2) and quite mobile, agile for his size. Might be super good defensively. But at the same time he's super skinny and seems fragile. I don't know how much mass and strength he can add on this frame. Some scouts obviously high on him:

In the same game, I watched Matthieu Gauzin, also highly treated young French PG, vert quick, surely has some upside, but I failed to record something really special in him.

Must be huge DRAFT for France this year, tracking down where 2 PG super-prospects Killian Hayes and Theo Maledon will be selected. Hayes might end up as TOP 5.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 08-28-2020, 11:40 AM.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Wembanyama is 04 born and can just be drafted 2023 and he is a top three pick already and yes this length is with his quick feet and body coordination really special. He also has a special midrange touch and i am also sure he will be able to shoot from the perimeter. He looks like a big bug in this game but his ceiling will depend on his body development

Comment

Yeah, I didn't try to suggest that Victor gonna be drafted this year Personally, I'm not yet sold he's truly a real deal. Can easily see the scenario that he will become too clumsy, lanky and overall mediocre once he will gain adequate mass. He is not agile and skilled enough to be some true unicorn who could live in the perimeter mostly, he's surely a center and he will need mass to live there at PRO. But his shots does seems promising. If he can find proper balance between toughness and agility while sustaining that shooting touch and feel for the game, he can be a special big. Surely will be interesting to see how he will develop. I would say super risky prospect. Like his ceiling is super high, but his floor might as well be super low, like he's not becoming a PRO at all. We'll see. I have sense his body might simply collapse during the transition to PRO's, just a wild gut feeling.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
        Yeah, I didn't try to suggest that Victor gonna be drafted this year Personally, I'm not yet sold he's truly a real deal. Can easily see the scenario that he will become too clumsy, lanky and overall mediocre once he will gain adequate mass. He is not agile and skilled enough to be some true unicorn who could live in the perimeter mostly, he's surely a center and he will need mass to live there at PRO. But his shots does seems promising. If he can find proper balance between toughness and agility while sustaining that shooting touch and feel for the game, he can be a special big. Surely will be interesting to see how he will develop. I would say super risky prospect. Like his ceiling is super high, but his floor might as well be super low, like he's not becoming a PRO at all. We'll see. I have sense his body might simply collapse during the transition to PRO's, just a wild gut feeling.
        Its surely very early to talk about his ceiling or floor but I dont see much clumsiness at least what is ahead of his age. He has a 8. feet wingspan in a 7.2 body. He moves very well lateraly and has a good blocking timing. Even if you go around him he can catch you with his quick feet and long arms. He can even put the ball on the floor a couple times which should be enough to create for himself. Strength will be a key factor though.

The problems that you see with him I see with Pokusevski

Comment

Pokusevski to me will be a baller. I mean there's little doubt he'll be a good PRO. The question is, whenever he possesses STAR qualities (I question his explosiveness and toughness), but he will be a PRO. While Wembanyama is a wild prospect in my eyes. I always sceptical about super tall dudes. They tend to brake, become injury prone or fail, and bigs going smaller these days. Will be interesting to see how Victor Wembanyama and Filipino Kai Sotto establish themselves in PRO, but it's tricky with such tall dudes. How many we had such dominating in true modern era? Not many if any.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Pokusevski to me will be a baller. I mean there's little doubt he'll be a good PRO. The question is, whenever he possesses STAR qualities (I question his explosiveness and toughness), but he will be a PRO. While Wembanyama is a wild prospect in my eyes. I always sceptical about super tall dudes. They tend to brake, become injury prone or fail, and bigs going smaller these days. Will be interesting to see how Victor Wembanyama and Filipino Kai Sotto establish themselves in PRO, but it's tricky with such tall dudes. How many we had such dominating in true modern era? Not many if any.
            Kai is a different story. He doesnt show half of the defensive upside that Victor has shown. Also his motor is much better than Kais. The key factor of big guys are their vertical speed which is hardly given by the length but every player has to be evaluated individually.

Your success in the nba is your ability to transform there and also the ability to translate your skill set in Europe to the NBA. My concerns about Victor is just if he is gonna be a star or just a good starter like Gobert.

But you are right the failing ratio is high among the tall guys but if you find the right guy the reward is also bigger. Victor will be doing fine. I am not very optimistic about Kai though.

Comment

Well, seems like Wembanyama is truly a possible next potential great after Doncic. If he has durability, will add mass to his frame without losing his qualities, he may be sensational.
              Mike Schmitz called him the best prospect of the planet today:

Two minutes of 16-year-old phenom Victor Wembanyama and two-time NBA DPOY Rudy Gobert going at it during 2-on-2 in France. Wembanyama's skill level, agility and incredible length are on full display. Arguably the best prospect in the world regardless of age.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Theo Maledon with career high 24pts against Nets. Showing shooting touch.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Theo Maledon with career high 24pts against Nets. Showing shooting touch.
                  Make it 33.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Ok, this is ridiculous...He keeps adding mobility and skill. Scary...He will radically change basketball if will stay healthy:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

OK, now legitimate question - what the hell will happen with FIBA basketball when France will field Wemby and Sarr? How to brake such defense? It's literally not fair:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

OK, let's face it. France has scary potential for upcoming 15 years, expect maybe PG spot where they lack definite answers as previously Parker or even De Collo. But what an incredible amount of highest tier prospects overall, my goodness. France is new Canada.

Killian Hayes (2020 draft)

Ousmanie Dieng (2022 draft)

Wemby, Bilal Coulibaly​, Rayan Rubert, Cidy Cissoko​ (2023 draft)

Risacher​, Sarr, Tidjane Salaun​ (2024)

They already have high profile prospects for 2025.

So France has like 7 lottery picks in recent 4 years basically, the best world's prospect and 3 players who mind end up top 10 picks in 2024 drafts.

The only chance for others to compete against France is that many of their prospects disappoint and they still lack true facilitators, fundamentally sound decision makers at 1. But I believe Wemby, Coulibaly, Risaher, Sarr, Salaun all will be scary good and have either NBA starters or NBA stars upside (Wemby has clear superstar's upside). These 5 players have incredible upside for versatile, positionless basketball and amazing two way potential. It's like 5 players of Franz Wagner/Buzelis tier or higher (in Wemby's case). So how will other teams deal with that? France will be super tough to beat, specially that I think players like Dieng, Rubert, Cissoko can be really good NBA role players too.

France soon will be able to field incredible length and skill on the court. Looking forward how will this look, and even silently hope that they will lack pure guard presence and facilitation to be good enough to win every each tournament. Just to leave more intrigue for Eurobasket.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information