Euroleague 2020-21 season and Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euroleague 2020-21 season and Covid-19

The new Euroleague season is now only a couple of months away. However, in football they are finishing the Champions League and Europa League seasons this month using neutral venue hubs. Some countries have offered to act as neutral venues for upcoming UEFA marches as well.

Greece, Cyprus, Hungary and Poland have offered to act as neutral venues for UEFA matches if they can't be played in the originally-scheduled countries.

Is an arrangement like this not inevitable if the next season is ever to finish? There are Euroleague teams from 10 countries and it's hard to believe right now that there won't be outbreaks and then subsequent travel restrictions. Has anyone heard what contingency plans are in place for what seems like inevitable disruptions to the schedule? I'm aware that some Interbasket posters believe the next season won't finish (or maybe even start) but at the very least it seems improbable that a competition which involves so much travelling won't be impacted in some way.

They should have a 'bubble' plan at the ready at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Oly_fan View Post
      They should have a 'bubble' plan at the ready at the very least.
      Euroleague management
      Good planning
      Pick one
      Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
      Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
      Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
      Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

You guys are really too worried about Corona. They will start without fans or limited fans. The player will be tested before the game. If someone was tested positively then they will take him out till he is healthy again.

Someone will come up with a vaccine anyway in a couple of month. Although i would never take that shit.

Comment

Toruko, it's not about anxiety over Coronavirus, it's just the reality that there are likely to be multiple travel restrictions at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
            Toruko, it's not about anxiety over Coronavirus, it's just the reality that there are likely to be multiple travel restrictions at the very least.
            Then just change the spot if a country gets messed up with Corona again. I mean if you are in Italy and things go in a wrong way, play on Malta and dont cry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
              Then just change the spot if a country gets messed up with Corona again. I mean if you are in Italy and things go in a wrong way, play on Malta and dont cry about it.
              You mentioning Malta is an interesting point because presumably there is no need for the same arena requirements that Euroleague usually demand.

Comment

Jokes aside, a bubble wouldn't work with Euroleague. The season is too long for that, and I don't think you can convince players to spend like 8 months in a different country etc. It is interesting to see when the travel restrictions will be resolved

Edit: Also, rate my new profile picture
                Last edited by vivo; 08-07-2020, 07:34 AM.
                Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

Last season cancelation was shameful decision by Euromafia and coward loser clubs.
                  I don't see any reason why next season would continue in their weird logic. But those chicken clubs now strengthened their rosters and they would probably vote now to play even in a bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by vivo View Post
                    Edit: Also, rate my new profile picture
                    Ha, made me laugh. Bojan's best moment for Fener? Not much social distancing there though. :P

Comment

At this point barring a miracle i give euroleague or any other european competition a 0.5% chance of finishing.I dont even think the competitions will start.Cases are on the rise everywhere in Europe before schools opening and before winter which will make things worse.Games in Greece are allready being cancelled because of positive cases in players,and the total cases in the country are relatively low.A bubble is the only solution but i dont think Jordi League has the logistics to pull this off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
                        At this point barring a miracle i give euroleague or any other european competition a 0.5% chance of finishing.I dont even think the competitions will start.Cases are on the rise everywhere in Europe before schools opening and before winter which will make things worse.Games in Greece are allready being cancelled because of positive cases in players,and the total cases in the country are relatively low.A bubble is the only solution but i dont think Jordi League has the logistics to pull this off.
                        Glad to see you back posting again!

To be fair, aren't positive tests expected at this stage? The NBA had a load of positive tests before the bubble, same when all the football leagues returned.
                        Like you say, cases are rising in some countries. I just don't see how there won't at least be a lot of postponements. Under the old format they could have had a few bubbles for the group stages but now with one long regular season involving 18 teams that just isn't possible.

Comment

Glad to see you back posting again!

To be fair, aren't positive tests expected at this stage? The NBA had a load of positive tests before the bubble, same when all the football leagues returned.
                          Like you say, cases are rising in some countries. I just don't see how there won't at least be a lot of postponements. Under the old format they could have had a few bubbles for the group stages but now with one long regular season involving 18 teams that just isn't possible.
                          Well, there will be some positive tests. They will lose some weeks and come back again. There might be off weeks but these losses can be compensate with more 2 game weeks etc. It must happen some critical things to stop playing. If some countries close borders etc.

Comment

Who cares if season will be played or not. Euromafia ruined last season with stupid cancelation decision, quit unfair to at least four teams that could fight for the title.

I don't see any reason for next season to start in this situation, except some sort of tournaments.

Comment

Ha, made me laugh. Bojan's best moment for Fener? Not much social distancing there though. :P
                              Ah, only now seen this. Not sure about the best moment as those were thots but Bojan can score even with bad shot selection

About Covid, if I know something about Euroleague, nothing can surprise me. Hopefully Turkey can somehow turn the tide of the increasing cases otherwise we might never have a full arena this year
                              Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information