Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ "baby beast" Perez thread

anything and everything about PBA sophomore CJ Perez

"How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

we have a lot of up and coming players that has their own thread, why not make one for a player that is already playing in the PBA

"How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

I think CJ Perez' impressive showing in the 2019 FIBA World Cup could indicate that he was hardly intimidated nor did he have any jitters playing in that very high level tournament which featured the finest basketballers of the planet. This to think that he hasn't really played too many international competitions in the past. He wasn't even part of the Gilas pool/team that played in the qualifiers of the 2019 FIBA World Cup.

I think the same could also be said about Robert Bolick who also made a good account of himself in that tournament.
      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
        I think CJ Perez' impressive showing in the 2019 FIBA World Cup could indicate that he was hardly intimidated nor did he have any jitters playing in that very high level tournament which featured the finest basketballers of the planet. This to think that he hasn't really played too many international competitions in the past. He wasn't even part of the Gilas pool/team that played in the qualifiers of the 2019 FIBA World Cup.

I think the same could also be said about Robert Bolick who also made a good account of himself in that tournament.
        Those 2 showing up were the only positives from that team. What's CJ's and Bolick's fficial height again? I think they measured pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
          Those 2 showing up were the only positives from that team. What's CJ's and Bolick's fficial height again? I think they measured pretty well
          I think Perez is around 6-foot-1 (barefoot) while Bolick is somewhere between 6-foot-flat to 6-foot-1.

If only CJ Perez started playing some point guard role when he was around 18 or 19 years old, I think he would be a perfect combo guard for the present Gilas team. Good thing Bolick transitioned to playing as a point guard when he was around 19. I think Bolick's transfer to San Beda from La Salle did well for his career & perhaps Phi basketball as well becoz it was at San Beda where he played point guard. I think if Bolick didn't transition to point guard, he will just be another shooting guard which includes CJ Perez, Thirdy Ravena, Rey Suerte, Allain Bulanadi, & Dwight Ramos as among his contemporaries.
          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

I think Perez is around 6-foot-1 (barefoot) while Bolick is somewhere between 6-foot-flat to 6-foot-1.

If only CJ Perez started playing some point guard role when he was around 18 or 19 years old, I think he would be a perfect combo guard for the present Gilas team. Good thing Bolick transitioned to playing as a point guard when he was around 19. I think Bolick's transfer to San Beda from La Salle did well for his career & perhaps Phi basketball as well becoz it was at San Beda where he played point guard. I think if Bolick didn't transition to point guard, he will just be another shooting guard which includes CJ Perez, Thirdy Ravena, Rey Suerte, Allain Bulanadi, & Dwight Ramos as among his contemporaries.
            CJ still has a chance if he could transfer to a team where he would be allowed to play as the primary ball handler. I didn't know they were the same height. I thought for sure CJ wss at least 2 inches taller. That's what I thought at first when i heard he was transferring to San Beda. Another shooting guard who needs the ball. Turns out he was at his best at PG.

Comment

Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
              CJ still has a chance if he could transfer to a team where he would be allowed to play as the primary ball handler. I didn't know they were the same height. I thought for sure CJ wss at least 2 inches taller. That's what I thought at first when i heard he was transferring to San Beda. Another shooting guard who needs the ball. Turns out he was at his best at PG.
              CJ at 25 transitioning to point guard, medyo late na.

Comment

Originally posted by robert0326
                I think he can manage that.. Jason Castro started to be a PG at age of 24-25 yrs old or when Jimmy Alapag retires.. He needs to go elsewhere... Columbian Dyip coach is a classic example of tactical immaturity.. maybe if he will traded to SMB then he can be a PG while Romeo will be back at SG.. Ross and Cabagnot are on near retirement so these two are next in line for SMB..
                That's becoz Castro played as a combo guard as early as his college days & he played most of the time as a point guard during college & amateur days. When he climb in the PBA, he was Jimmy Alapag's chief reliever at the PG spot, though sometimes, Castro shared the floor with Alapag at the same time, with Alapag as PG & Castro playing the 2-spot. Hence, transitioning into a legit point guard wasn't that difficult for Castro.

I don't think Perez had that role during his college days & even now with Columbia. The way I observe it, its Rashawan McCarthy who is usually task to play as a combo guard for Columbia, not Perez. BTW, be careful what you wish for regarding Perez. Perez playing for SMB might be a disaster for Gilas. U know what I mean.
                Last edited by JAMSKIE; 07-15-2020, 04:07 AM.

Comment

That's becoz Castro played as a combo guard as early as his college days & he played most of the time as a point guard during college & amateur days. When he climb in the PBA, he was Jimmy Alapag's chief reliever at the PG spot, though sometimes, Castro shared the floor with Alapag at the same time with Alapag as PG & Castro playing the 2-spot.

I don't think Perez had that role during his college days & even now with Columbia. BTW, be careful what you wish for regarding Perez. Perez playing for SMB might be a disaster for Gilas. U know what I mean.
                  perez was about to trade to SMB after 5-6 games of AFC but covid happened.. ever wonder why no MVP teams wants his service? no trade rumours from MVP Camp nor indie teams? mostly linking him to smb? RSA handpicked him the same way with arwind before..
                  Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

I have high hopes that both CJ and Thirdy can transition their game to at least a combo guard. They both have the speed and decision-making skills already, they just need to catch up with their ball handling. I think they are aware of this fact too, which is a plus. It's doable given their work ethic.

Comment

Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
                      I have high hopes that both CJ and Thirdy can transition their game to at least a combo guard. They both have the speed and decision-making skills already, they just need to catch up with their ball handling. I think they are aware of this fact too, which is a plus. It's doable given their work ethic.
                      With the surplus of guards that we have, they can be utility point guards, which is not bad. They can still play the 2 or 3, but the offense starts with them. They just need to improve their decision making, floor awareness and they will be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by unstopaball12 View Post
                        With the surplus of guards that we have, they can be utility point guards, which is not bad. They can still play the 2 or 3, but the offense starts with them. They just need to improve their decision making, floor awareness and they will be okay.
                        agree with the skills they need to improve. plus, with some of our big playmakers, the offense does not need to start with either cj or thirdy. With ray parks, JC, dwight (?), cj/thirdy has the option to attack off-ball offensively while cross-matching with the opposing lead guard defensively.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information