Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Carl Tamayo thread

Default Carl Tamayo thread

anything and everything 6'8,forward Carl Tamayo
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Tamayo and Quiambao are like the new versions of former San Sebastian Stags' Rommel Adducul and Banjo Calpito.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    Tamayo and Quiambao are like the new versions of former San Sebastian Stags' Rommel Adducul and Banjo Calpito.
    Tamayo reminds me of a young RDO and KQuim an athletic young version of Dennis Espino.

Tamayo should be an improved and taller version of RDO to be an integral part of Gilas.

He has the potential. But so far, it is still POTENTIAL.

Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Tamayo should be an improved and taller version of RDO to be an integral part of Gilas.

He has the potential. But so far, it is still POTENTIAL.
    I think he may do good in College but I dont know if he'll dominate right away

No disrespect to RDO, but Tamayo's mindset should be that RDO is his floor in terms of potential. He should focus more on developing his physical tools in order to further raise his ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    No disrespect to RDO, but Tamayo's mindset should be that RDO is his floor in terms of potential. He should focus more on developing his physical tools in order to further raise his ceiling.
    I have no reason to disagree on this,kids nowadays should utilize and enhance their skills to be highly competitive,I will not say that players before were one trick ponies but now its like the sport of mix martial arts, everyone must be well rounded so that their weaknesses wont be exploited. I still feel he needs to learn How to
    handle the ball well and watch his weight.A little bit of hops and agility might help as well,thats if he loses more of the excess weight.

Ceiling should be like Korea’s do it all forward Choi JunYong or Chinese Taipei’s Tien Lei

Tamayo is rather slowwww for a forward, and he is no pippen who provide reliable two-way help to a jordan.

If he doesnt train for one year in the usa like kai, he will just be a taller version of quinahan. Actually, the very helpful posters here can help him in the meantime by offering exercises to develop cat-quick reflexes in dribbling and spinning attacks.

A coach would rather trust a quiambao against hard and physical defending forwards.

I agree that tamayo should turn into a complete player by letting his defense catch up. But we cannot deny that he is fundamentally an offensive player. Hence, i hope that he can have a coach who will change his mindset and turn him into something like a point forward a la harden/doncic. I think tamayo's body type can handle that playing style. His offense can further evolve by him getting used to being the main ballhandler and decision-maker in the offense. His main competitors should be the dave ildefonsos, dwight ramoses and abandos.

Wings factually are much, much faster than bodies whether we are talking about birds or basketball. Otherwise, a bird or a team cant fly with ease, just like a hummingbird. Never forget what WINGS are for.

I see Tamayo as a "four", not a 3. He doesn't have the quickness & mobility to play the 3.

Nevertheless, he has to improve his laterals & work on his jump/leap. He also needs to toughen himself physically, ika nga eh, kailangan nyang magpalakas ng katawan to endure the physicality of the game becoz as he moves to the higher level - collegiate, amateur, professional & National senior team level, things are going to get tougher, much more physical. There's no room for softies in high level basketball.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I see Tamayo as a "four", not a 3. He doesn't have the quickness & mobility to play the 3.
    yes sir he's currently a four right now, and i bet that's how he sees himself as well. but that's what im saying, him as a 4 is already a lock. being just 19, he can still develop and maybe move down a position or 2. just wishful thinking, anyway. i mean that's what i will do if i were him.

Nevertheless, he has to improve his laterals & work on his jump/leap. He also needs to toughen himself physically, ika nga eh, kailangan nyang magpalakas ng katawan to endure the physicality of the game becoz as he moves to the higher level - collegiate, amateur, professional & National senior team level, things are going to get tougher, much more physical. There's no room for softies in high level basketball.
    I agree with this, i use to say this also before, but maybe there is sill enough time to train him to become 3. I hope he get's Pingris' IQ on defense,Ranidel's IQ on offense and his shooting and Abueva's energy,agility/mobility, motor and balls. Just look at Calvin's video below on how he battle against China's 7 footers.

https://www.facebook.com/hoopjunkie....70406917/?t=13
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    and Abueva's energy,agility/mobility, motor and balls.
    man, i'd wish abueva's energy, motor and balls on all filipino players. he is topnotch.

Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    yes sir he's currently a four right now, and i bet that's how he sees himself as well. but that's what im saying, him as a 4 is already a lock. being just 19, he can still develop and maybe move down a position or 2. just wishful thinking, anyway. i mean that's what i will do if i were him.
    Pretty unrealistic, absurd and exaggerated to force Tamayo to slide down to 2-spot. A bit stretch with respect to his current skillset.

At 6'7, he is already a go at the 4-spot. Can be a 3 in short stretches but that's it.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

Would proper training (high-tech or advanced ones, just like what Kai has been getting in the US a couple of months now) & hard work be enough for Tamayo to be converted to a legit small forward?

Lets face it, Tamayo wasn't born athletic & quick-footed. Proper training & hard work would enhance such weaknesses but they do have limits.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Would proper training (high-tech or advanced ones, just like what Kai has been getting in the US a couple of months now) & hard work be enough for Tamayo to be converted to a legit small forward?

Lets face it, Tamayo wasn't born athletic & quick-footed. Proper training & hard work would enhance such weaknesses but they do have limits.
    I will be happy if Carl can surpass the feat RDO. We all know RDO fit in our national team. Being a bigger RDO is not bad.
    "If you can't beat them, join them." - kevin durant

i just have high expectations of him, seeing that he has grown as a very good offensive player in the past couple of years.

as i said, i will not mind him being a taller RDO.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast