Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Carl Tamayo thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dotch View Post
    So it's good he's always under camp, training in the bubble with the NT boys, and competing in tournaments. What happens when they break camp? Sayang ang time not playing basketball and continue improving. That's why i think he needs to go pro.

Unless of course, he chooses to use the downtime to study / earn that degree.
    If Gilas cadets will join PBA then Tamayo should be one of the list should play there.. He needs this.. Playing against seasoned PBA players will fasten his development.. Let's see how he can handle against Troy, Malonzo, Perkins, etc.. November pa kasi yung next Gilas stint kaya the team needs some organized tournament.. Di pwede laging practice lang ng practice sa Calamba bubble..

Quote Originally Posted by live_evil View Post
    i like Tamayo's bravery. Unfortunately, his body is still not mature enough to pound it inside against international veteran bigs. RDO should really train Carl to make him reach his potential which is a 6'7" RDO.
    At least he has a saving grace, which is his mobility for a 6'7" Filipino. He can defend the perimeter a little. He just needs to develop his strength. And no worries, he's only 20. Hopefully he can get stronger which will help him pound the ball better.

Plus, he could work on that turnaround more.

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    At least he has a saving grace, which is his mobility for a 6'7" Filipino. He can defend the perimeter a little. He just needs to develop his strength. And no worries, he's only 20. Hopefully he can get stronger which will help him pound the ball better.

Plus, he could work on that turnaround more.
    I am excited to see a well polished Tamayo in 2023! I am sure by then he will have a more muscular physique at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevy View Post
    I am excited to see a well polished Tamayo in 2023! I am sure by then he will have a more muscular physique at least.
    hopefully, his uaap stint (if it pushes thru) will not lead to regression or learning of bad habits.

Holy shit. Tamayo is trying to will Gilas. I like his fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by empyreanmaze View Post
    His personality from the under games when he was carrying Batang Gilas against the likes of France seems to still be there, burning underneath, very solid player
    He fits the UP Fighting Maroons very well.

Still, I'd like to see him play abroad earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    hopefully, his uaap stint (if it pushes thru) will not lead to regression or learning of bad habits.
    He already has a bad habit of making his fouls too obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post
    The only problem I see with Tamayo right now is the other team keeps attacking him and its working. His defense limits him as a 3
    Can his laterals be improved?

Of course. He's still 20y.o. he only needs to be exposed to these kind of high level tournament and spend more time at the 3. IMO, he doesnt need to be an exclusive 3 guy. He just needs to develop his quickness defensively so that he can exploit whatever matchups he has offensively while not getting exposed on defense. I really like this kids grit. He wasnt backing down against the Tunisians earlier. At times it looked like he was the only one who was willing the team.

At the young age of 20, i think he has the most polished post up game out of this team. Of course kai has an excellent footwork on the post, but it seems like he cant get a deep post position because of hos high center of gravity. Carl, can already mix up his offensive game. I hope he improves his mid range game in the coming years.

Off topic: That king abdullah cup is infested with Kai fan girls. Its really getting annoying. That guy cant even be objective about his comments.

Quote Originally Posted by japo18 View Post
    At the young age of 20, i think he has the most polished post up game out of this team. Of course kai has an excellent footwork on the post, but it seems like he cant get a deep post position because of hos high center of gravity. Carl, can already mix up his offensive game. I hope he improves his mid range game in the coming years.

Off topic: That king abdullah cup is infested with Kai fan girls. Its really getting annoying. That guy cant even be objective about his comments.
    No use beating a dead horse. Dude has manned up to his behavior and even apologized. Move on na tayo.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    Carl tamayo is getting love in ibn, but doesnt erase the fact that he isnt quick enough and laterally enough to keep in step as a 3, he is like the 6'8 version of hu long mao, deceptively strong 4, who cam mix it up, who can shoot the ball well but Carl does post up every now and then..it isnt aproblem now because he can easily be a 4 in asian level and a 3 in europe level.. pag african at american teams lang siguro magkakatalo pag may athletic combo forwards na siyang kalaban
    That lack of athleticism might be a concern. Offensively, he will have to compensate with strength (but not at the cost of his mobility) and savvy. And of course, fighting spirit. Good news is, magulang siya, and he fights, as we saw in the FIBA qualifiers and the King's Cup, and he's also a hard worker. He can score against MENA fours.

He will need to compensate better on defense, though. Improve his anticipation and foot speed, if both can be improved. Verticality, I dunno.

That lack of athleticism might be a concern. Offensively, he will have to compensate with strength (but not at the cost of his mobility) and savvy. And of course, fighting spirit. Good news is, magulang siya, and he fights, as we saw in the FIBA qualifiers and the King's Cup, and he's also a hard worker. He can score against MENA fours.

He will need to compensate better on defense, though. Improve his anticipation and foot speed, if both can be improved. Verticality, I dunno.
    Good point bro. Tamayo has already exhibited grit, courage & willingness to play physical in a No. of international games he has played with Gilas so far. And this, from a player who is only 20 yrs old & just fresh from high school basketball (wala pa ngang experience sa college basketball ang bata). At 20 yrs of age, medyo malambot pa talaga ang muscles & boto ni Tamayo. But wait till he reaches 24 or 25, when his muscles and bones are better developed. Specially pag mag weight training itong batang ito.

Agree with most of you, Tamayo's downside is his lack of athleticism & quickness. I think such shortcomings would prohibit Tamayo from playing the 3 spot, in my opinion.

I think the King Abdullah Cup was a good test for Tamayo's ability to play rough & physical. We all know how rough & physical North African & West Asian teams are. Tamayo obviously didn't backdown from such physicality. Even Korea which Gilas faced in the 3rd window was very physical, and that's good for Gilas to experience that kind of game.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Tamayo not playing in the NBA , but FIBA , and especially not always top tier athletes ( but can be 2nd tier ranked teams, DR level) ,, in those situation if Tamayo is playing alongside a more mobile 4 , like say AJ or Baltazar his lack of latterals can be hidden and exposure mimimized , there are defensive schemes that can hide this, such as forcing a player to go one side, (not middle) and getting help from drop coverage. (Kouame) ,, if a player is only required to force a player he is guardiing one way, his lack of latterals is not exposed

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    Tamayo not playing in the NBA , but FIBA , and especially not always top tier athletes ( but can be 2nd tier ranked teams, DR level) ,, in those situation if Tamayo is playing alongside a more mobile 4 , like say AJ or Baltazar his lack of latterals can be hidden and exposure mimimized , there are defensive schemes that can hide this, such as forcing a player to go one side, (not middle) and getting help from drop coverage. (Kouame) ,, if a player is only required to force a player he is guardiing one way, his lack of latterals is not exposed
    This is some sort of funnel system, correct?

This is some sort of funnel system, correct?
    It's what Tab preaches , force them to the drive to the side, with help from big (Kouame) drop coverage . as an example Tuffin guards opposing PG's in the NZ NBL and does well, it's not that he has the latterls and speed to keep with PG's , but he is up on them and funneling them to the side for help. so he doesn't have to move latteral both ways ( right or left) but just cut out the middle

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    It's what Tab preaches , force them to the drive to the side, with help from big (Kouame) drop coverage . as an example Tuffin guards opposing PG's in the NZ NBL and does well, it's not that he has the latterls and speed to keep with PG's , but he is up on them and funneling them to the side for help. so he doesn't have to move latteral both ways ( right or left) but just cut out the middle
    No middle system, so it will be easier to help once the primary defender is beaten. We'll need good help defenders, though.

This can work with Tamayo, if he has Baltazar, Kai, AJ (hopefully), and/or Kouame behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I see some potential in Carl Tamayo as some sort of a Dennis Espino in terms of toughness (& maybe roughness as well), only that Espino was more of a back-to-the-basket type of a big man while Tamayo is more of a modern day "four".
    Yeah, Tamayo already has the toughness. He just needs to develop his inside game, both on offense and defense. He'll be one of our best ever bigs if that happens. One thing he can emulate from Espino is his defense.

Actually, I see him combining the offensive skills of a traditional four and a modern four. Sort of a combination big.

It is nice to see Carl is on the radar and even ranked higher than some Europeans. I hope he only plays 1 year in the UAAP since his handlers want him to play there and then go pro afterwards.

He has a shot to improve his stock for the next 2 years. While he may not get drafted, he could use these years to further develop and hopefully get offers in the NBL or Europe, and who knows? Maybe he can pull off a Kazemi (2013, 2nd round, 54th pick), even if it is a slim chance.

https://id-prospects.com/rankings/2001/

https://id-prospects.com/players/carl-tomayo/

It is nice to see Carl is on the radar and even ranked higher than some Europeans. I hope he only plays 1 year in the UAAP since his handlers want him to play there and then go pro afterwards.

He has a shot to improve his stock for the next 2 years. While he may not get drafted, he could use these years to further develop and hopefully get offers in the NBL or Europe, and who knows? Maybe he can pull off a Kazemi (2013, 2nd round, 54th pick), even if it is a slim chance.

that's not bad at all, he can get an Asian SRP spot in the NBL, if he entered NBL this year he would be eligible for the next star, but would unlikely be qualified like Kai.

Carl (and other pinoy propspects) could only be drafted in NBA even slim chance if he's playing college ball in US or basketball club in Europe. i'm not seeing him taking his talent overseas for the next two years.
    https://logosrated.net/wp-content/uploads/parser/Mapua-Institute-of-Technology-Logo-1.png

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast