Carl Tamayo thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Can Tamayo even effectively guard stretch 4s or traditional 4s? I kinda forgot how he did on that end. Is defense one of his strengths?
    I think Tamayo can defend fours in the mold of Oshin Sahakian, RDO, Ali Haidar, Basel Bawji, but would struggle against the Yuta Watanabe, Abudushamalu Abudurexiti or Zaid Abbas types of "fours".
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
      lol Justin Brownlee? They might as well get drafted in the NBA if they ever achieve that feat.

I’ll be happy if we have a battalion of 6’5-6’6 kids who have BRP’s skillset.
      Kaya nga I said, having Justin Brownlee "skill set" for our wings (specifically small forwards) would just be a fair expectation. But having a Justin Brownlee "skill level" would be too much of an expectation or projection.

May pinag kaiba po ang 2 na yun.
      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
        Isn't Brownlee just in the 6'4 range?

Anyway who's our best 6'6 to 6'7 prospect? Is it Harris?
        Yes, I think his PBA measurement is around 6-foot-4 & 1/2 if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

• our 6’5-6’6 wing prospect should look at this guy

Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
            Who do you want to play sf sir?

Thirdy????

I really feel Thirdy is undersize at SF position. He is like 6'1-6'2.

Maybe, I prefer to stick with Dwight at SF if no choice.

I get the point of sir analyzed of "We cannot afford to play a SF without enough mobility and versatility". But for me, we cannot also play an SF who is way way undersize like Thirdy or Abando.
            Because of lack of an ideal SF at our disposal, we have to chose between speed and size , and in my opinion you're a greater disadvantage if you sacrifice size over speed at the SF (3 wing spot) , both the offense will be stagnant and the defense will be slow to rotate .. sacrificing 2 inches in height for the benefit of quickness and skill is certainly more prudent in the modern FIBA game

For Gilas it's about the collective combination of players you put together, even if say Dwignt will not play mainly PG, but SF, you can put together with him 2 natural SG's of 6'2 ish and it will be fine. as long as those natural SG's have some quarterbacking and are capable ball handlers. (e.g. Thridy and Heading or Juan)

Call me bias but based on my assessment next to Dwight, Tuffin is the best back up at our disposal at SF. both in terms of stretching the floor and defense on perimeter players
            Last edited by DAdmiral; 05-16-2021, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
              Because of lack of an ideal SF at our disposal, we have to chose between speed and size , and in my opinion you're a greater disadvantage if you sacrifice size over speed at the SF (3 wing spot) , both the offense will be stagnant and the defense will be slow to rotate .. sacrificing 2 inches in height for the benefit of quickness and skill is certainly more prudent in the modern FIBA game

For Gilas it's about the collective combination of players you put together, even if say Dwignt will not play mainly PG, but SF, you can put together with him 2 natural SG's of 6'2 ish and it will be fine. as long as those natural SG's have some quarterbacking and are capable ball handlers. (e.g. Thridy and Heading or Juan)

Call me bias but based on my assessment next to Dwight, Tuffin is the best back up at our disposal at SF. both in terms of stretching the floor and defense

Well, we have used smaller SF in the last FIBA World Cup and nothing happened

Comment

• There is still this mentality of smaller speedier SF is better than a taller skilled one.

Comment

• with the players we have at our disposal , we may not really have a choice, the alternative of forcing a taller player without the quickness to play SF isn't a prudent solution.
                  We wouldn't be having this discussion if Gabe was still young.., do note what Gabe's position was from 14 to 22 years old.

Comment

• Originally posted by Athrunzala View Post
                    Well, we have used smaller SF in the last FIBA World Cup and nothing happened
                    That team was begging to be embarrassed with the lack of prep time, scouting and having been coached by YG.

Comment

with the players we have at our disposal , we may not really have a choice, the alternative of forcing a taller player without the quickness to play SF isn't a prudent solution.
                      We wouldn't be having this discussion if Gabe was still young.., do note what Gabe's position was from 14 to 22 years old.

With Gabe,you get the defense,but offense wise he sputters sometimes,he won't even try to score.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARMIR View Post
                        With Gabe,you get the defense,but offense wise he sputters sometimes,he won't even try to score.
                        reason i like Tuffin as SF of bench.. 3 and D.

Comment

Call me bias but based on my assessment next to Dwight, Tuffin is the best back up at our disposal at SF. both in terms of stretching the floor and defense on perimeter players
                          To a certain degree you maybe right. Tuffin has probably had tons of exposure at 3. But that will not stop Tab from exposing tall relatively mobile players to the 3 position. There are 3s out there who are not that fast. Bahrami didn't exactly impress me as a fast guy for a perimeter player.

I think Tab will continue to do this. Even if Tamayo or Baltazar does not reach sufficient defense level to play 3 they can be a point forward with sufficient skills training.

I am personally hoping we will have a big SF. It might be hard to do the switch at their age but for me Balti didnt do badly defending the perimeter last qualifier. With all the training since theres a possibility he has become an even better perimeter defender at least enough for bigger slower SFs.

Comment

• ^
                            To me Kobe and Lopez were or are supposed to be that guy , SF with legit size

BTW Taane Samuel (who's around 6'7- 6'8 ) and played big man for Lasalle, is doing excellent as a starting SF for the Saints , has averaged around 23 pts the past 2 games

of course though Taane in high school while he was one of the tallest players was allowed to take 3's and play in the perimeter.

Ken Tuffin played beyond his height in Wellington’s 95-69 win over Nelson in the 2021 Sal’s NZ-NBL tournament, Saturday at TSB Bank Arena. With his shooting off, the 6-foot-4 Fil-Kiwi, who shot just 3-of-9 from the field for seven points, decided to do the little things to help out the Saints gain their fourth win […]

it was former De La Salle University foreign student-athlete Taane Samuel who powered Wellington’s third quarter barrage against Nelson.

Taane essentially splits time between both forward spots ( Combo forward)
                            Knotted at 39-all entering the third canto, Samuel took over, scoring 14 of the Saints’ 34 points to break the game wide open. The versatile 6-foot-8 forward knocked down three triples in the quarter
                            Last edited by DAdmiral; 05-17-2021, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
                              To a certain degree you maybe right. Tuffin has probably had tons of exposure at 3. But that will not stop Tab from exposing tall relatively mobile players to the 3 position. There are 3s out there who are not that fast. Bahrami didn't exactly impress me as a fast guy for a perimeter player.

I think Tab will continue to do this. Even if Tamayo or Baltazar does not reach sufficient defense level to play 3 they can be a point forward with sufficient skills training.

I am personally hoping we will have a big SF. It might be hard to do the switch at their age but for me Balti didnt do badly defending the perimeter last qualifier. With all the training since theres a possibility he has become an even better perimeter defender at least enough for bigger slower SFs.

It looks like Tab is looking for Sf's that are no shorter than 6'6,maybe 6'5 as a combo guard/forward,its time to some of Gilas big men doesn't just play the 4 or 5.

Comment

• Upon joining the camp, Tamayo quickly realized how lucky he was to be a part of it. Basketball players outside the bubble had to settle for individual or small group training while Gilas Pilipinas Men got to practice and scrimmage as a full squad. The biggest advantage in joining this training camp is for Tamayo to feel what it's like as a small forward. While he's had to be a center or a power forward all his life because of his size, he knows learning how to play at the three-spot could really set him apart.

"Here, I play as a three and sometimes a four. I'm learning how to execute as a small forward, how to read the court, I also get to practice my decision-making. I realized it was a really good decision because I get to learn how to play international basketball under coach Tab (Baldwin)," he shared.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information