Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    What about Jordan's Zaid Abbas?

Stands 6'8, has decent handles, can hit outside/perimeter shots, and is a rebounding devil.
    Zaid Abbas is a combo forward, have some athleticism, can slash & hit from the outside as well. Abbas used to be among the top 2 best local players of Jordan (Sam Daghlas the other 1) during his prime.

I just feel lang that envisioning Carl Tamayo to become like Zaid Abbas would be a bit high of an expectation.

Oshin Sahakian on the other hand was just a complimentary player for Iran. He's not the type who will explode for 15 to 20 pts. in a game - something a prime Zaid Abbas was very much capable of doing. So I believe envisioning Carl to become like a Sahakian is more feasible than Carl becoming a Zaid Abbas.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• One sure thing we know with Tamayo,is every time he dons the Gilas jersey,its an improvement of his previous showing,hes consistent.

Comment

• Originally posted by jasper222 View Post
        Besides the aforementioned people like Intal, Canaleta, and Japs, there's Chris Ellis, Asi Taulava (early on), Jason Castro (before he developed his jumper), Cyrus Baguio, and the upcoming Kobe Paras as well as Lebron Lopez. I would put Ricci Rivero on this list too, as his development clearly stagnated after his DLSU stint.

I also forgot Marc Pingris. Pingris is super athletic to be playing a position he's clearly overmatched at in the world stage, without a jumper and without any dribble moves.
        The Asi Taulava in PBL(Blu Detergent) was a super-skilled bigman, can dribble the ball(good handle), good outside shooting, had a face-up game and a good passer..

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
          I've been thinking of an Asian player whom Carl Tamayo can somewhat patter his game with, then a recently retired national player suddenly crossed my mind - its Iran's former national team power forward Oshin Sahakian. I think Carl & Sahakian have a lot of things in common - both are "fours", aren't really athletic, aren't really quick & they are of the same height which is around 6-7 or 6-8.

While Sahakian wasn't as popular as Hadadi & Bahrami, he was a perfect complimentary player for the 2. Sahakian was also a tough player & had some roughness in his style of play that is why he had some altercations with RDO some 5 years ago.

Well, as coach Tab himself said that Carl Tamayo plays like an "a**hole", which means that this kid can also play rough & tough at times. I may sound biased in saying this but I see Tamayo to be more skilled than Sahakian. Yung handles ni Tamayo is pretty decent for a big man.
          Carl Tamayo- Gong Xiaobin
          Kevin Quiambao- Liu Yudong
          Last edited by tomcat; 05-15-2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Pero Cameron was not fast or athletic, but was smart and shot the ball well. Pero was one of the ealier stetch 4s
            He

Pero is not taller than Tamayo
            I think he's Tab's all time favorite player
            Of course Pero was wide though

Next to Tab , Pero is the Nz coach im closes to

Comment

• ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Cameron didn't even look like a basketball player to begin with but he was deceptive.

Perhaps coach Tab somewhat saw Pero Cameron in Islam Abbas, the Jordan national team's 6-foot-7 big man, when Tab coached Jordan in 2011 where he piloted Jordan to silver medal in the 2011 FIBA Asia Championship. Jordan's biggest victory came when it upset heavily favored Iran. Islam Abbas did a great job defending Hadadi despite giving away some 7 inches to the latter.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                Carl Tamayo- Gong Xiaobin
                Kevin Quiambao- Liu Yudong
                I will be ecstatic if Tamayo turns out to be as good as Gong Xiao Bin. Gong was an elite power forward in Asian basketball. During the 1998 Asian Games, Phi Centennial team head coach Tim Cone described Gong Xiao Bin (not Wang Zhizhi) as China's best player.

Comment

Zaid Abbas is a combo forward, have some athleticism, can slash & hit from the outside as well. Abbas used to be among the top 2 best local players of Jordan (Sam Daghlas the other 1) during his prime.

I just feel lang that envisioning Carl Tamayo to become like Zaid Abbas would be a bit high of an expectation.

Oshin Sahakian on the other hand was just a complimentary player for Iran. He's not the type who will explode for 15 to 20 pts. in a game - something a prime Zaid Abbas was very much capable of doing. So I believe envisioning Carl to become like a Sahakian is more feasible than Carl becoming a Zaid Abbas.
                  I'm good with an 80% Zaid Abbas. I don't expect Tamayo to have his athleticism but we need him to have ZA's versatility.

Like how often do we have a homegrown 6'7-6'8 combo forward?
                  GILAS WISHLIST:
                  6'8 Pingris

Comment

I will be ecstatic if Tamayo turns out to be as good as Gong Xiao Bin. Gong was an elite power forward in Asian basketball. During the 1998 Asian Games, Phi Centennial team head coach Tim Cone described Gong Xiao Bin (not Wang Zhizhi) as China's best player.
                    wang was only 21 then and has yet to play in d nba (gong was part of china nt since 1990).

Comment

• Originally posted by neo View Post
                      wang was only 21 then and has yet to play in d nba (gong was part of china nt since 1990).
                      I think what coach Tim Cone was implying was that, while Wang Zhizhi was the most popular player of China, he thinks that it was Gong Xiao Bin who would cause most damage to the Phi Centennial team. Yung perception kasi ng karamihan was that Wang is China's best player at that time.

Going back to the original topic, it makes so much sense to me that even as young as 18 years old, impressive na yung handles ni Carl Tamayo for a big guy. I first saw his game when he played for the Gilas "23 for 2023" cadet pool/team in the 2018 Fil-oil Flying-V Pre-season Cup. He & Kai Sotto were the only non-college player in the pool. Carl could already show those dribble drives in his brief stint on the floor. For a 17-year old 6-foot-7 kid to display such moves against legit college players who are 2 to 6 years older than him, that's pretty impressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                        I'm good with an 80% Zaid Abbas. I don't expect Tamayo to have his athleticism but we need him to have ZA's versatility.

Like how often do we have a homegrown 6'7-6'8 combo forward?
                        Sorry but I don't see Tamayo as a potential combo forward. For me, "four" lang talaga sya. Yung mga nakikita kong potential combo forwards are Oftana, Navarro, Kobe Paras & Francis Lopez.

Comment

Sorry but I don't see Tamayo as a potential combo forward. For me, "four" lang talaga sya. Yung mga nakikita kong potential combo forwards are Oftana, Navarro, Kobe Paras & Francis Lopez.

He mostly plays 3 whenever,he plays for BG,his attack on the rim starts just inside of the perimeter and spins,I hope he improves on that,and he can create his shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARMIR View Post
                            He mostly plays 3 whenever,he plays for BG,his attack on the rim starts just inside of the perimeter and spins,I hope he improves on that,and he can create his shots.
                            becos kai and edu are 5 and 4.

if he learns to defend 3s, he'll play more 3 than 4, especially if edu comes in healthy so it will already be a loaded 4 position with baltazar and go (altho go can be small-ball 5 behind kai and angelo).

Comment

I respect your opinion but, having seen him play in U19 WC, Tamayo is a capable 3 in my eyes.

He just needs to play the position more.
                              GILAS WISHLIST:
                              6'8 Pingris

Comment

I think what coach Tim Cone was implying was that, while Wang Zhizhi was the most popular player of China, he thinks that it was Gong Xiao Bin who would cause most damage to the Phi Centennial team. Yung perception kasi ng karamihan was that Wang is China's best player at that time.

Going back to the original topic, it makes so much sense to me that even as young as 18 years old, impressive na yung handles ni Carl Tamayo for a big guy. I first saw his game when he played for the Gilas "23 for 2023" cadet pool/team in the 2018 Fil-oil Flying-V Pre-season Cup. He & Kai Sotto were the only non-college player in the pool. Carl could already show those dribble drives in his brief stint on the floor. For a 17-year old 6-foot-7 kid to display such moves against legit college players who are 2 to 6 years older than him, that's pretty impressive.
                                he sure looks more impressive than kobe in that tourney

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information