3X3 in Lithuania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by auris1 View Post
    I was really impressed with Varanauskas . Probably best player in this tourney as for individual performance.
    I saw him play in France this year and i was really surprised how come he got a contract there. Maybe he lacks a vision and some other tactical and technical team play aspects, but when he goes one on one , he is pretty much unstoppable.
    Hmmmm. No Ovidijus Varanauskas at training camp though. Given that he's playing with Limoges in France, I doubt that he could participate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
      Hmmmm. No Ovidijus Varanauskas at training camp though. Given that he's playing with Limoges in France, I doubt that he could participate.

He plays in 2nd French league now and was injured few weeks ago and will miss couple of months of action. The same goes with one of the best 3x3 players Uzupis, who probably will have to miss qualifiers due to injury, even tho in LKF article there's said that he is recovering quicker than expected, but still you need to gain shape to play, get your knee stronger, for 3x3 it might be much tougher than for 5x5 bball

Comment

I've found very little information about Coach Dainius Novickas. What's his coaching background/experience?

Comment

As for starving for basketball addict 3x3 provided me with more than i bargained for.

Utena after two months of training is the top team....
          Does anyone have a link to the results/stats of the July 2020 tournament in Palanga?

Comment

I've found very little information about Coach Dainius Novickas. What's his coaching background/experience?

He is one of these "founders" or how to call it of 3x3 bball in Lithuania. Played lot of years himself, coached probably everyone from kids to senior teams. A real 3x3 bball junkie, he basically knows it all about the game, respected person in 3x3 circles in LT and around the world, so hardly there's a person who could do the job better nowadays.

Regarding stats, I don't know if there's some source with all results and scorers in one place, but you can browse some of it in articles related to the event, in example here

If I recall correctly overall topscorers were Maciulis and Uzupis, MVP Tarvydas

Comment

My understanding is that in classical basketball terms he is complete amateur.
              Never had a professional contract as a player , never formally got any degree , certificate or such in coaching etc.
              I see him as an extra in that white man can't jump scenario , where he can't really jump but he is involved in the street BB scene anyhow.
              So, I assume he got together Vytis team and due to his contacts and know how got them going as a coach and a manager.

With his experience , and one of the best teams in the world at his side he hustles to the position of the head coach of national team .
              And then bam, it's an official sport at OL.
              Utena jumps on the wagon and became leaders , rightly so , but is kinda late change things around, so Urbonas becomes an assistant to NT , which we all know is impossible for him to be such.
              So Urbonas will be handling all coaching duties, selection and tactics , with Novickas being more of the team manager due to his previous knowledge in the field.

Of course this is just a fantasy and loose interpretation of them little titbits I gathered during summer.
              Last edited by auris1; 02-24-2021, 11:42 PM.
              And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

i just wanted to clarify that I mean no disrespect to Novickas . also ,when he played , even though he is 36 , he wasn't that bad. Not that good either...
                But with sport being more prominent and with more prize money being available , bigger fish is moving in.
                Just in one summer we went from NKL to LKL level of interest.
                I am sure at some point more and more players will see it as an extra income during summer time.
                Not the ones making over 6 digits, lesser ones.
                To Hepcat- Varanauskas faded after first tournament. Everybody improved, he just stayed same.
                Memory faded a bit , but I think Vaitkus was MPV for me overall.
                He could have been absolute beast bar his injuries.
                And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

Utena jumps on the wagon and became leaders , rightly so....
                  The margin between Utena and Šakių Gulbelė was razor thin though:

29 August 2020 FIBA World Tour Debrecen (Hungary) Masters

Utena 20 Šakiai 18 (OT)

25 July 2020 Hoptrans Stop 4 Final in Palanga

Utena 21 Šakiai 19

17 July 2020 Hoptrans Stop 3 Final in Palanga

Šakiai 22 Utena 13

11 July 2020 Hoptrans Stop 2 Final in Palanga

Utena 21 Šakiai 19

4 July 2020 Hoptrans Stop 1 Semifinal in Palanga

Utena 19 Šakiai 15

Šakių Gulbelė with Aurelijus Pukelis, Šarūnas Vingelis, Paulius Beliavičius and Darius Tarvydas is currently rated the ninth best team in the world.

It seems to me that if Lithuania qualifies from the group of twenty teams in Graz, Austria, the chance for a medal at the Olympics is high since only the Serbian team of the four that have already qualified is really good. I'm glad therefore that the LKF is taking preparations seriously with top flight coaching and a genuine training camp in a good facility.

Last edited by Hepcat; 04-30-2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                    Btw, LKL PO should be around qualies time, late May, so wondering what would happen then if Utena will still be there.
                    The LKL will have egg all over its face if it doesn't schedule the playoffs around the Graz Qualifying Tournament if Juventus players are scheduled to participate.

Comment

The LKL will have egg all over its face if it doesn't schedule the playoffs around the Graz Qualifying Tournament if Juventus players are scheduled to participate.

Or Utena will have to do without couple of players and maybe coach... You also can't postpone the games and season too far, cause 5x5 NT will have to start practices as early as possible. Season should end on June 11 at latest, hopefully it won't take that long. Anyway, Utena knew perfectly where they are heading this season with 3x3 stuff, so I'm sure they knows all the risks too, might be that they will simply sacrifice LKL a bit, cause 3x3 seems to be more important with Olympics qualies

Yesterday practices were held, Seskus was added to it probably as candidate. In some footage, while coaches are talking about it all, you can spot the teams, main one I guess is: Vaitkus, Skucas, Pukelis, Tarvydas. Pretty much a team I would expect to go to qualifiers too. I thought that maybe Skucas and Pukelis might be too much size for one team, but Skucas is mobile enough and you might need big bodies to fight against some teams, so maybe it looks reasonable. Anyway, coaches will try to rotate teams in upcoming practices to see how players will connect

Comment

Yesterday practices were held, Seskus was added to it probably as candidate.
                        Edvinas Šeškus of Jonava CBet?

In some footage, while coaches are talking about it all, you can spot the teams, main one I guess is: Vaitkus, Skucas, Pukelis, Tarvydas. Pretty much a team I would expect to go to qualifiers too.
                        Interesting combination!

Last edited by Hepcat; 04-29-2021, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Edvinas Šeškus of Jonava CBET?

Yes, he replaced injured Simonis. Don't know about his future role tho, was it temporary or he will continue. Btw, Skucas revealed lately that idea is to cut some players bit by bit, in next camp might be that only 8-9 will be called-up

Comment

Regarding stats, I don't know if there's some source with all results and scorers in one place, but you can browse some of it in articles related to the event, in example here

There's a lot of info on the Hoptrans 3x3 July Palanga Tournament here:

Hoptrans 3x3 Palanga - FIBA

And this site here does an excellent job of recounting the first three episodes/stops/legs of the Palanga Tournament:

Hoptrans 3x3 Final in Lithuania - FIBA

Last edited by Hepcat; 02-25-2021, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Šakių Gulbelė with Aurelijus Pukelis, Šarūnas Vingelis, Paulius Beliavičius and Darius Tarvydas was rated the ninth best team in the world as of April 2020.
                              In some footage, while coaches are talking about it all,, you can spot the teams, main one I guess is: Vaitkus, Skucas, Pukelis, Tarvydas. Pretty much a team I would expect to go to qualifiers too.
                              Hmmmmm. I see that Darius Tarvydas was actually part of the Utena team with Gintautas Matulis, Ignas Vaitkus and Vytautas Šulskis that took the Silver at the Hoptrans 3x3 Tournament last August in Debrecen, Hungary.

Comment

I like the coaches' comments earlier today about the players' motivation and effort at the team camp. They said that after dividing the players up into three teams of four, rather than needing to push them during scrimmages, he needed to restrain them. He said that officiating the scrimmages actually proved beyond the capability of the coaching staff. As a result they had to bring in professional officials so that the incidental contact during these scrimmages wouldn't degenerate into undesirable trash talking or shoving matches. So there's lots of spirit at camp!

Last edited by Hepcat; 02-26-2021, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information