3X3 in Lithuania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3X3 in Lithuania

Was it just me of this or this Hoptrans tournament was really exciting? Yesterday i was a bit skeptical but today it got so much better. SF were excelent , 2 day format works just fine , not that many gaps between games.Lets not forget this sport will be in Olympic game next year.

day 2

day 1

One thing i got impression of is that Vingelis and co wont be going to Japan.Bigger boys got a taste for the game and maybe our federation will see 3x3 as a viable alternative for the medals .
    Urbonas , coach of Utena , had some very funny words to say after semis , i think.
    Anyways , i will be waiting for next week.

edit:
    I was really impressed with Varanauskas . Probably best player in this tourney as for individual performance.
    I saw him play in France this year and i was really surprised how come he got a contract there. Maybe he lacks a vision and some other tactical and technical team play aspects, but when he goes one on one , he is pretty much unstoppable.
    Last edited by auris1; 07-04-2020, 09:26 PM.
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

The chucking is killing me. Maybe after a while I could get used to it, but I wasn't impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Svajunas View Post
      The chucking is killing me. Maybe after a while I could get used to it, but I wasn't impressed.
      The chucking. Thanks man , that is a really neat and accurate description of 3x3 .
      We are not gonna get 90-50-40 players in this sport though.
      During interviews most players said that they are still learning how to approach this game. Also , they play at 60 percent of their true capabilities. I am sure LKL players will adapt to the point where they can beat Vingelis and co by being just a better bb players overall. 60 percent is way too high.Once they stop the chucking and develop strategies what are based on their actual strengths on the court then we suddenly can dream of medals in OL next year , if other countries act slow. As for the players like Maciulis , that would add
      another 5 years he can play at highest level.
      I know i sound like an enthusiast , but this is a real sport where we can get medals at Olympic games. Next thing you know , NBA players will be flooding the sport. Lets get in early

Comment

For me it was interesting to see how our pros will adjust to the game. I mean Skaisgirys, a chief of Sakiai 3x3 team, which is one of the best in the world, always been bragging how his team would easily beat any pros in 3x3 event. But it seems it's not the case, far from that. I actually thought Sakiai will be winning it too, anyone who played 3x3 in some even semi-pro tournaments knows how different it is from 5x5 bball and how tougher it is. If you can take some break in 5x5, get a bit sleepy in defense and get away with that, you can't in 3x3. But let's say Juventus team really impressed me. Without too much practicing they are already looking better than that Sakiai side. Let them practice more, add some Varanauskas who looks hell of the player in 3x3, and they could go to he Olympic qualifiers, succeed there and bring Olympic medal Sure, they won't do it all, I think there are some restrictions/rules which won't allow them doing it right away, but if best teams in 3x3 bball can make 150-200k per year each, I think some players might actually consider changing the basketball type they are playing

Comment

As for starving for basketball addict 3x3 provided me with more than i bargained for. I think there is too much elitism to begin with,maybe rightly so . Right before it became Olympic discipline .This is not some shit like baseball or what not we have no clue how to play let alone know the rules. I am really angry with our bb federation, some fat fucks and what nots for not being able to keep up with what ? Basketball game with three players instead of five. Basketball is what we do .I am relatively sure that unlike 5 basketball 3 has to qualify in person to be eligible so what.
          Now what?
          Utena after two months of training is the top team , they will go tournament in Hungary? and after that is it? LKL will start .
          Honestly solution is simple.
          our federation should employ for salary players who can do it. Full time.

Comment

So the list of candidates for the 3x3 team that will represent Lithuania at the pre-Olympic Qualifying Tournament to be held in Graz, Austria from May 26 to May 30 was announced:

Aurelijus Pukelis - Šakių Vytis
            Paulius Semaška - Šakių Vytis
            Marijus Užupis - Šakių Vytis
            Paulius Beliavičius - Šakių Vytis
            Šarūnas Vingelis - Šakių Vytis
            Žygimantas Skučas - Juventus
            Vytautas Šulskis - Juventus
            Gintautas Matulis - Juventus
            Ignas Vaitkus - Juventus
            Darius Tarvydas - Jonavos CBet
            Aurimas Urbonas - Jonavos CBet
            Žygimantas Šimonis - Marijampolės Sūduva-Mantinga
            Šarūnas Beniušis - Marijampolės Sūduva-Mantinga

Marijus Užupis though has not completely recovered from a knee injury. Four players are to be selected from the thirteen.

Last edited by Hepcat; 03-06-2021, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Very nice idea to gather together our best players into camp. I like this initiative a lot, cause it's Olympic sport now, so great that it's not forgotten, bearing in mind all the attention 5x5 NT gets. We might even fight for medal in 3x3. Nice list overall. I'm missing Varanauskas tho, he was great in summer, but probably he is sticking to 5x5 game. Wondering now how it all will pan out, will it be one team players heading to qualies or mixed one. I like Utena more recently, but they might be even tougher with some additions. It'll be very hard to play against Serbia, Latvia, if we'll make it to OG, there USA probably will field these guys who won World Champ. Btw, LKL PO should be around qualies time, late May, so wondering what would happen then if Utena will still be there. Lot of questions for now, but nice start nonetheless

Comment

So I understand that Serbia, Russia, China and Japan have already qualified for the Men's event while Russia, China, Mongolia and Romania have already qualified for the Women's event. Not that I can understand why those particular teams have qualified since the Olympics are in Japan and the U.S.A. won the most recent FIBA World Cup for Men in 2019.

The remaining teams will be determined from the following groups at a pre-Olympic Qualifying Tournament which will take place in Graz, Austria from May 26 to May 30:

I actually still don't know how many teams will qualify from the above groups and how many teams in total will compete in the Men's and the Women's 3x3 Olympic event.

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                Very nice idea to gather together our best players into camp. I like this initiative a lot, cause it's Olympic sport now.... Btw, LKL PO should be around qualies time, late May, so wondering what would happen then if Utena will still be there. Lot of questions for now, but nice start nonetheless
                Not to mention that Basketnews is indicating that there will be a six day training camp for the thirteen players in Anykščiai beginning Sunday (must be today I think).

Last edited by Hepcat; 02-21-2021, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                  Not to mention that Basketnews is indicating that there will be a six day training camp for the thirteen players in Anykščiai beginning Sunday (must be today I think).

It's official info from federation

Regarding qualifiers, latest info was that 2 best teams from group goes to PO and then 3 best teams will qualify to Olympics. I think if everything will go well, our chances to make to top4 are not that bad and then anything might happen

Comment

I see that Coach Dainius Novickas will be assisted by Žydrūnas Urbonas, the coach of Juventus, who will have some of his staff from Juventus helping out at the camp.

Regarding qualifiers, latest info was that 2 best teams from group goes to PO and then 3 best teams will qualify to Olympics. I think if everything will go well, our chances to make to top4 are not that bad and then anything might happen
                    So only three from the group of twenty teams will qualify. That means that the Men's Olympic 3x3 event will include only seven countries. That to me seems surprisingly low.

Comment

I see that Coach Dainius Novickas will be assisted by Žydrūnas Urbonas, the coach of Juventus, who will have some of his staff from Juventus helping out at the camp.

So only three from the group of twenty teams will qualify. That means that the Men's Olympic 3x3 event will include only seven countries. That to me seems surprisingly low.

It should be 8, there'll be another separate qualifying tournament in June where 1 additional team will qualify, but Lithuania didn't make it there

Comment

Ahhhhh, yes. A qualifying tournament with crap teams just to add "geographical diversity".

There should be about sixteen teams in two groups of eight in the 3x3 event. With games limited to twenty minutes, each team could actually play every day.

Comment

Ahhhhh, yes. A qualifying tournament with crap teams just to add "geographical diversity".

Not exactly, some ranking based tournament or smth like that. Pretty complicated stuff, never cared to dig deeper why and what for we have couple of different tournaments, but with few the same teams there taking part.

There should be about sixteen teams in two groups of eight in the 3x3 event. With games limited to twenty minutes, each team could actually play every day.

I'd surely add more teams too, some 12 or 16, but it's round robin, maybe it will work. Btw, what you mean with 20mins game? In 3x3 there are 10mins for one match. Teams will play twice per day

Comment

Oh! I thought the games were to 21 points or twenty minutes whichever came first.

If the teams are to play twice per day though, eight teams is absolutely too few. With sixteen teams divided into two groups of eight, a double round robin could be played over seven days and then quarterfinals could start.

Comment

Oh! I thought the games were to 21 points or twenty minutes whichever came first.

If the teams are to play twice per day though, eight teams is absolutely too few. With sixteen teams divided into two groups of eight, a double round robin could be played over seven days and then quarterfinals could start.

It's 21pts or 10mins. I think schedule is pretty good as 3x3 teams are used to play twice per day in all these world tours, world champs, it makes little sense to play that 10mins game once per day. But it still could've been more teams than eight. Maybe IOC and FIBA thinks that pool doesn't need to be wider for Olympic debut, don't know. See how it goes with top teams and then expand if it will get enough public attention

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information