Kaunas Zalgiris Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post

What's your opinion on T. Sabonis? I noticed his emotional consulting to Jokubaitis on the bench. How to know he has any clue what is he talking about? As a player, wasn't a high IQ player, also seemed to have laid back, cocky personality...Really looks like typical nepotism case, but I hope I'm wrong. To me he reaches too far as a beginner. Not exactly the PRO that I would like to see Jokubaitis taking notes from during the game, LOL.
    Nah, he is not cocky at all, maybe he was back in his teen days, I don't know that, but lately absolutely down to earth guy, really devoted to the work he is doing. That's what pushes him forward the most. I can't tell in details about his tactical input to Zalgiris, cause not aware about that yet, but as a person he is intelligent guy. That's the case where I couldn't say that nepotism brought him to the duties he has, maybe a little, maybe with some credit, but I think he might be really good as assistant, but so far I hardly would see him becoming a headcoach e.g.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
      Nah, he is not cocky at all, maybe he was back in his teen days, I don't know that, but lately absolutely down to earth guy, really devoted to the work he is doing. That's what pushes him forward the most. I can't tell in details about his tactical input to Zalgiris, cause not aware about that yet, but as a person he is intelligent guy. That's the case where I couldn't say that nepotism brought him to the duties he has, maybe a little, maybe with some credit, but I think he might be really good as assistant, but so far I hardly would see him becoming a headcoach e.g.
      Yeah, I meant his young days. Now seems to be much more humble and matured, agreed. But giving tips already during the EL games...Maybe it's just some detail about personal fouls or similar, but if he gives his insights about the game plan, direct suggestions to the players, it's a bit too far reaching, IMO. His role should be more passive and distant, more of a student's. That would make sense. Anyway, hopefully he proves doubters wrong.
      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
      Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Yeah, I meant his young days. Now seems to be much more humble and matured, agreed. But giving tips already during the EL games...Maybe it's just some detail about personal fouls or similar, but if he gives his insights about the game plan, direct suggestions to the players, it's a bit too far reaching, IMO. His role should be more passive and distant, more of a student's. That would make sense. Anyway, hopefully he proves doubters wrong.
        I don't think he is offering some of his own ideas, but just doing typical assistant job, being familiar with game plan, giving some notifications and that's it. As we can see Schiller is not Saras, he is not giving away comments of every episode to players, he relies more on assistants to do the job too. It's not like Maskoliunas was the main bodyguard of Saras during the game, who's main task was to keep Saras away from troubles

Comment

Are you jealous?
          The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

Originally posted by LuDux View Post
            Are you jealous?
            Do you want me to be? When Skvernelis wife screws ridiculously with her insights about "the road" just before elections and people start to mock her, you ask them, ARE YOU JEALOUS, is that the case? Don't forget Kaunas government supports the club (even the state to some degree), it's not entirely private thing where you can throw even your teenage kids to do the job if you like so. All Zalgiris moves should make sense and people will surely question them.

Jokubaitis with all the right decisions against EFES. The pass to Rubit was nasty:
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            Last edited by Straight forward; 10-16-2020, 01:42 PM.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Do you want me to be? When Skvernelis wife screws ridiculously with her insights about "the road" just before elections and people start to mock her, you ask them, ARE YOU JEALOUS, is that the case? Don't forget Kaunas government supports the club (even the state to some degree), it's not entirely private thing where you can throw even your teenage kids to do the job if you like so. All Zalgiris moves should make sense and people will surely question them.
              Question? You already made up your mind
              The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

I think we should really value what we can see now in Zalgiris. The club won't be able to keep all Jokubaitis, Grigonis, Lekavicius in the club for another season, IMO. Rounding into his optimal shape, Grigonis provides absolutely elite things on the court. He's a flat out target of contending club, no single doubt. Jokubaitis' upside is even higher and his development is basically unprecendented not only Lithuania wise, but globally as well (we really would be looking to the cases like Rubio, Doncic if we would won't to have something similar, even if I'm surely not comparing Jokubaitis with Doncic). Lekavicius had very strong campaign last season and this season he's on super role player's mode thus far, fantastic numbers shooting wise, already provided couple of clutch performances, he makes huge difference coming off the bench in just 18min. Even his value most likely will go up, even if there will be realistic chances to keep him. So let's enjoy this luxury, it's has been a while we had such a Lith guard power in a local club.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

After six rounds Grigonis (97PIR) and Lekavicius (92PIR) are by far two best Zalgiris' players. Than goes Hayes (64) and Rubit (50) while the fifth best player thus far is Jokubaitis (48). While Walkup surely bounce back and he had a great game against Asvel efficiency wise, I think Jokubaitis might keep it up more or less among best players of the team which is remarkable knowing his age and how competitive Zalgiris actually is. Schiller shouldn't underrate Lekavicius, he tends to glue him to the bench too much here and there. With his incredible production at the beginning of the season, he had to snatch a little bit more minutes than 18. My eyes will continue to bleed watching Walkup's ball kneading even when he will start filling efficiency lines. Would really appreciate some with quick, spot on and non hesitant decision making at 1 even with much worse D, seriously. I think Walkup must be the least aesthetically captivating starting PG in the league, LOL

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Grigonis only 4th Zalgiris player to snatch Euroleague's MVP of the Month award since 2004/2005 season. Way to go. Others three are Marcus Brown, Jankunas, Brandon Davies.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Super pleased about that. However he still has to work on his drible, he fumbles way too often.

Comment

Interesting how Zalgiris will build next season. Jankunas is surely done. Grigonis will be gone, IMO. Lekavicius might be gone. Jokubaitis, IMO, should stay for his last season in Zalgiris. After that I see other teams buying him out. Speculation is that Butkevicius should go to Zalgiris, but there's Garino and Milaknis with contracts. Personally, to me Butkevicius is not EL player. Too shaky, to limited skill and IQ wise and he reached his ceiling already. From Liths, IMO, Zalgiris should be interested in Velicka and Kulboka (1 year deals AFAIK and both have ties with Kaunas), then they should consider to buy out D. Giedraitis if the sum is not super huge. The guy can really grow into very solid all around, 2 ways, high IQ SG and fill Grigonis shoes after few years. And I think Beliauskas may deserve a chance. Even if he does lack a little bit more IQ and flexibility to treat his ceiling very high, he's a solid scorer, decent defender, decent decision maker, as a 23yo already has rather impressive floor, so far dropping 10,6pts in 19min, and Obradoiro stands 7th thus far. Sort of a combo guard, might develop into EL role player, IMO. I would suggest Birutis, but I'm afraid his impact wouldn't be much better than current Geben's with less flexible defence likely, so I won't. Don't really see much point to get Dimsa back, because with all the hate to Schiller (by some), IMO, he made a right decision, Vasturia has higher upside and IQ.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Hold your horses, SF Under current pandemic situation, no fans in arena, no major incomes in budget none knows what kind of resources Zalgiris will have next season. It's impossible to predict what kind of players we'll be able to afford. Maybe Butkevicius will be a candidate for starting SF role )) What I'm pretty sure of that no matter the situation, Milaknis and Geben will remain, has valid deals, not big earners, shouldn't attract any attention from abroad. Then who knows. There are valid deals with Walkup, Vasturia, Jokubaitis, Blazevic, Dimsa, Venskus. Only options with Grigonis, Garino, Rubit. Then there's ok scenario and bad scenario. In ok scenario I can see Kulboka as an option, even tho so far he is not shining, but club was interested in him for some time, but couldn't offer guaranteed place in roster, now might be different situation, while others you mentioned, simply has no room for now. Geben and Blazevic + some foreigner should be the line-up at C, so no place for Birutis, at PG Walkup or other foreigner + Jokubaitis/Lekavicius, so Velicka would have a shot if Liths would leave. Beliauskas and Giedraitis so far looks like Rytas material, if management there will get their sh*t together. Of course, if situation will get drastically worse, then things might get different

Comment

Sure, it's speculation as of yet But I could see Walkup, Velicka, Jokubaitis PG section if Lekavicius leaves (perfect chance for him to snatch his best contract), Jokubaitis playing some 2 as well. Velicka is a good candidate for Lekavicius' role, like instant aggressive drives once he gets to the floor (instant offense, energy guy), the difference is that Lekavicius has better shooting while Velicka has more passing ability and has athletic profile to bang with any guard defensively.

A guess there's no much point to sign Beliauskas while you have Dimsa, both are rather similar, but Beliauskas' upside is higher. As for Dovis Giedraitis, his upside is surely EL player, I have no doubt about, so Zalgiris might want to start using him already next season, but it's unlikely.

Kulboka is inconsistent as of yet, but good material to develop into reliable EL combo forward. IMO, Zalgiris still should be looking towards him.

I don't see Jokubaitis leaving as of yet. I see a draft-and-stash situation if gets drafted. Bigger clubs might want to fish him out already though, but I think Jokubaitis will want another season in Zalgiris.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Grigonis (27) and Lekavicius (12) combined 39/39 FTs in EL thus far. Both guy's shooting accuracy in EL and LKL is off charts. IMO, this backcourt duo already prevails Kalnietis, Seibuis duo (best we had in 10's). Grigonis, IMO, will never reach Siskauskas, Macijauskas territory since he's lacking burst, explosiveness compared to those guys, but he's the guard who reached the highest point since 00's greats and should be rather close in his absolute prime in a year or two.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Jokubaitis healed from Covid, but will skip the game against Maccabi. Too bad, he gives another dimension for Zalgiris to me as spectator, highest IQ and most talent player. Says he talked with 18 NBA teams, some even asked to draw the clutch play:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information